[Anime] Hajime no Ippo

Pages 12Next
Anyone watch this? I just started watching it out of anticipation for the Wii game of it. I've watched 8 episodes so far on veoh-tv, looks good. For anyone that hasn't seen it, it's the same format as Hikaru no Go, Airgear, or any other such shows. A 16 year old kid gets into boxing, gets a rival and starts his way towards the top.

Forum Image: http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb291/stoaster/Dempsey_Roll-Ippo_vs_Sendo.gif
The Dempsey Roll, hands down the coolest signature move in boxing.
Tsujoi Social Media Manager
I'm reading the manga.
tsujoi wrote...
I'm reading the manga.

it's forever ongoing, right?
jonsmth wrote...
tsujoi wrote...
I'm reading the manga.

it's forever ongoing, right?
yeah
it's not just boxing

there are funny parts around too
jonsmth wrote...
it's not just boxing

yeah

I'm still interested in the whole romance angle. Although, I just know he'll end up with that one girl...I forget her name...Kumi?
tsujoi wrote...
jonsmth wrote...
it's not just boxing

yeah

I'm still interested in the whole romance angle. Although, I just know he'll end up with that one girl...I forget her name...Kumi?

her brother is awesome X3

and especially Takamura :twisted:

my favorite funny parts were the one where Ippo was going to recieve a massage from a pretty doctor and the fireworks joke
(it's especially funny because from where i watched it, it was dubbed; hell, it was a damn good localization job, seriously)
Lol, yeah I pretty much like all the characters. Makes a good group of people and keeps it interesting. I liked it when Aoki had to get his haircut because he lost a title match. He ended up becoming brocolli man, lol.

Right now I'm up to the manga part where Ippo is having a million dollar match against "the magician".
tsujoi wrote...
Right now I'm up to the manga part where Ippo is having a million dollar match against "the magician".

when i read that, i thought "9-ball billiards"
I'm almost done with this show and there's one minor thing that keeps bothering me. They keep referring to the featherweight title as determining the strongest/most dangerous man in Japan. Seems to me like some boxers from higher weight classes(like Takamura for example) could still beat the shit outta them. Strongest boxer under 125.5 lbs does not equal strongest man.

Anyway, off to watch the last 2 episodes.

-edit-Watched the last 2 episodes. Great show, but ending the anime with Takamura's back story kinda sucked. If they threw that episode in somewhere earlier, like just before the mountain training episodes, it the show would have had a much better sense of closure by ending after the last fight it covered.

I kinda wish the show covered more of the manga story(which is considerably longer from my understanding) but at the same time I can see how it would get boring and repetitive.
lurking wrote...
I'm almost done with this show and there's one minor thing that keeps bothering me. They keep referring to the featherweight title as determining the strongest/most dangerous man in Japan. Seems to me like some boxers from higher weight classes(like Takamura for example) could still beat the shit outta them. Strongest boxer under 125.5 lbs does not equal strongest man.

Anyway, off to watch the last 2 episodes.

-edit-Watched the last 2 episodes. Great show, but ending the anime with Takamura's back story kinda sucked. If they threw that episode in somewhere earlier, like just before the mountain training episodes, it the show would have had a much better sense of closure by ending after the last fight it covered.

I kinda wish the show covered more of the manga story(which is considerably longer from my understanding) but at the same time I can see how it would get boring and repetitive.

Ippo did not do well in America and is a pretty old series, so they're not going to make another season of it us my understanding.

When they say strongest man in Japan it's almost always assumed that they're talking about within a weight conference for boxing exclusively. I'm sure there's bodybuilders who lift tons more than Ippo or even Takamura (though given Takamura's position in the manga currently this is questionable). Additionally the question of what strength can truly be regarded as is constantly brought up throughout the story.

The final episode (episode 76) is a DVD special and is intended to be an extra, and not really aligned with where the series ends.

EDIT: The other thread I made was because I didn't see one within a couple pages of topics, and well, bringing back threads that were dead months ago is usually frowned upon in forums I thought.
ravenfrost123 wrote...

The final episode (episode 76) is a DVD special and is intended to be an extra, and not really aligned with where the series ends.

EDIT: The other thread I made was because I didn't see one within a couple pages of topics, and well, bringing back threads that were dead months ago is usually frowned upon in forums I thought.

Ahh, well that makes more sense(the bonus episode I mean).

And as for the edit, no worries. When bringing up old topics, it can be a little fuzzy as to when it is or isn't ok. If you have something relevant to say then it's generally ok, like if you just started (re)watching an anime, there's nothing wrong with digging up it's thread. The stuff that's discouraged is bringing back an old discussion that has been clearly finished or bringing up an old post with something stupid like "rofl omg dat wsa funyz" or any other comment that doesn't really benefit the thread. At least that's my interpretation of necroposting etiquette.

edit-Back on topic, I don't know why Ippo never made it in the US. Seems like it could of done well if marketed right. Maybe it's just that it tends to be a little too serious for that 8-12 audience that American companies try to market all their anime to.

I hadn't even heard of it for the longest time. I rented Victorious Boxers for PS2 and knew it was based off some anime/manga, but didn't know what that show/manga was. I just found out a couple months ago when I was looking into the Victorious boxers game for the Wii(which upon release ended up sounding pretty crappy :roll: ). Eventually I decided to look it up and watch a few episodes, turned out to like the show quite a bit. I'd say Ippo is probably my favorite show of it's type(comparing it to hikaru no go, initial d, airgear,etc)
My favorite part in the anime is when Ippo repeatedly punches himself in the crotch, though I can't remember what episode it was.

And on another note, the Wii game is very disappointingly hard to control.
utj85 wrote...
My favorite part in the anime is when Ippo repeatedly punches himself in the crotch, though I can't remember what episode it was.

Yeah I remember that happening once or twice in the show, I think I'd rather just cover up.

And yeah, that's what I've been hearing about the game, I was really looking forward to it too. Oh well, the 2nd one for PS2 looked kinda cool, maybe I'll pick that up if I ever find it in a clearance bin or something.
I absolutely LOVE Hajime no Ippo. I REALLY must start on the manga though. :) Finished the fansubs years ago and even bought all the R1 DVD singles. (Well, not all, I'm still missing the last couple volumes. Lol. ) But yes, one of my top shows for sure. Can't wait to start reading the manga.
lurking wrote...
utj85 wrote...

Yeah I remember that happening once or twice in the show, I think I'd rather just cover up.

And yeah, that's what I've been hearing about the game, I was really looking forward to it too. Oh well, the 2nd one for PS2 looked kinda cool, maybe I'll pick that up if I ever find it in a clearance bin or something.

It's episode 30 when he first goes to see the doctor (Yamaguchi-sensei)

If his penis was of normal destructive power I'd agree with the covering up thing, but let's be real here; we're talking about BIG MARA IPPO
Neh just been rewatching this anime.Still even thou i watched it already, I still can't help watching the whole series again.The intense fighting in the ring totally hooks me up all over again.Fighting scenes in anime is totally way more better watching than reading in some point.
Instead of creating a new thread for Hajime no Ippo ~New Challenger~
I just decided to sort of revive this thread of one of the most awesome sports oriented series of all time!

Yes! Ippo and the gang is back for more Boxing action and romance(lol!)?!
(and the Ippo's undying DICK joke - only known to those who've seen the previous series)

here's the trailer:

here's the OP & ED:

~the ED is enough proof of how fun this series is!~

It has already started and has also been subbed... here's the 1st ep torrent:
Hajime no Ippo ~New Challenger~ ep1

after viewing it, you might want to talk about it here:
https://www.fakku.net/viewtopic.php?t=13771

This is definitely worth seeing!
haha this reminds me i need to catch up on the manga.. (-.-)

the show is a great watch, funny and badass, recommend it to most. :]
been waitn 4 this!
Pages 12Next