Why is Human life considered precious?

_Bluesummers wrote...
Because we are smarter, which makes us supirior. That is the only thing.

Oh the irony.

Humans are just as worthless as that bug you just killed. Stop killing bugs.
sora851 wrote...
as for the actual topic its considered important cause we is the humans that are considering it. $20 says if i went out and asked a elephant(assumeing we could converse intelligently and understand each other) he would say that we mean nothing and the elephants were the most important to the earth. bet the gator would say the same thing.

No the croc would consider us food, the elephant would consider us "those who give food and make me do stupid stunts, but the food is good" unless it was a wild one then it would probably consider us a nuisance, neither would care if we all died out.
I believe our old friend George Carlin (RIP) can shed some light on this

But you know, the longer you listen to this abortion debate, the more you hear this phrase 'sanctity of life'. You've heard that. Sanctity of life. You believe in it? Personally, I think it's a bunch of shit. Well, I mean, life is sacred? Who said so? God? Hey, if you read history, you realise that God is one of the leading causes of death. Has been for thousands of years. Hindus, Muslims, Jews, Christians all taking turns killing each other 'cuz God told them it was a good idea. The sword of God, the blood of the land, veangence is mine. Millions of dead motherfuckers. Millions of dead motherfuckers all because they gave the wrong answer to the God question. 'You believe in God?' 'No.' *Pdoom*. Dead. 'You believe in God?' 'Yes.' 'You believe in my God? 'No.' *Poom*. Dead. 'My God has a bigger dick than your God!' Thousands of years. Thousands of years, and all the best wars, too. The bloodiest, most brutal wars fought, all based on religious hatred. Which is fine with me. Hey, any time a bunch of holy people want to kill each other I'm a happy guy.

But don't be giving me all this shit about the sanctity of life. I mean, even if there were such a thing, I don't think it's something you can blame on God. No, you know where the sanctity of life came from? We made it up. You know why? 'Cuz we're alive. Self-interest. Living people have a strong interest in promoting the idea that somehow life is sacred. You don't see Abbott and Costello running around, talking about this shit, do you? We're not hearing a whole lot from Musolini on the subject. What's the latest from JFK? Not a goddamn thing. 'Cuz JFK, Musolini and Abbott and Costello are fucking dead. They're fucking dead. And dead people give less than a shit about the sanctity of life. Only living people care about it so the whole thing grows out of a completely biased point of view. It's a self serving, man-made bullshit story.

It's one of these things we tell ourselves so we'll feel noble. Life is sacred. Makes you feel noble. Well let me ask you this: if everything that ever lived is dead, and everything alive is gonna die, where does the sacred part come in? I'm having trouble with that. 'Cuz, I mean, even with all this stuff we preach about the sanctity of life, we don't practice it. We don't practice it. Look at what we'd kill: Mosquitos and flies. 'Cuz they're pests. Lions and tigers. 'Cuz it's fun! Chickens and pigs. 'Cuz we're hungry. Pheasants and quails. 'Cuz it's fun. And we're hungry. And people. We kill people... 'Cuz they're pests. And it's fun!

And you might have noticed something else. The sanctity of life doesn't seem to apply to cancer cells, does it? You rarely see a bumper sticker that says 'Save the tumors.'. Or 'I brake for advanced melanoma.'. No, viruses, mold, mildew, maggots, fungus, weeds, E. Coli bacteria, the crabs. Nothing sacred about those things. So at best the sanctity of life is kind of a selective thing. We get to choose which forms of life we feel are sacred, and we get to kill the rest. Pretty neat deal, huh? You know how we got it? We made the whole fucking thing up! Made it up! The same way... thank you.
Arizth wrote...
Let me ask a question, then.

Lets say, for arguments sake, tonight one of us became a vampire. A predator.

What would you do to it, barring capture and scientific dissection?

two choices :

1. save and cure the vampire.

2. if curing isnt worked,then eleminate it.

the 2nd choice will cause people to think that human's life isnt worthy.

but it's for each person to decide and to think. i believe most of us think human's life is precious. because only human can handle the nature and world,while other living form only exist to be died because of nature selection.

example :

crocodiles are being hunted. decreasing their population greatly and causing them to nearly extinct. the only one who can handle and re-populate them,is human. but in other hand,the only one who can make them extinct is human too.

human is the greates predator in world. the greatest life form. we can choose to save them or to kill them.

imagine if human never exist in this world. maybe animal and plants can be extinct because of nature selection.

the nature needs human to take care of it,while in other hand humans can also bring destruction.

back to the two choices,we can select which choice are we going to do it,in real world.

honestly,if i found someone turns into Vampire,the first choice,i need to save him/her.

but if saving them is useless,then i'll leave the other people to eleminate the vampire.

i dont want to do the 2nd choice. that's because i dont want to see people suffer/died and because i've run out of choice.

in short : human's life is precious

@The_Jesus

you say that nature is the greatest predator.

in this present time,yes. nature conquer us with it's resource.

but imagine if human has improved a lot in the future. they can handle and subtitutes the needs from nature. they dont need the nature,instead,they'll be the nature's predator itself.

human will always,and always improve. if the human see a strong enemy,then they'll patiently waiting,studying,and improvin themself to beat the strong enemy.

no doubt,human is the strongest life form in the world. they'll survive in any other part of this world.

but they cant survive nor cure a Fate called "Death".

there are 2 predators for human.

1. The human itself

2. Death
Arizth wrote...

I'd say "Dude, sign me up!" seriously. I want to be immortal even if one of the side effects is becoming emo, I'll have forever to get over it.
Ramsus wrote...
Arizth wrote...

I'd say "Dude, sign me up!" seriously. I want to be immortal even if one of the side effects is becoming emo, I'll have forever to get over it.

Bah you won't be emo, you would be goth. I wouldn't want immortality, unless I gained more powers than most vampires have, like the powers a true Hellsing (the manga) vampire possesses, but were I to actually pick a power set it would probably be the one held by Danny Phantom, I don't care if it was a nick show it was pretty good for a super hero toon that was original, I like his set it's flexible, not overpowered, and still effective.

I would think that if I became a vampire I wouldn't tell anyone, mostly I would be pissed though, as much as I hate the sun I still need to go out in the day to get things accomplished. Hellsing vampires just don't like the day but they can go out in it. What kind of vampire are we looking at anyhow? A buffy vampire which is little more than an ugly dude with teeth and perhaps a little more strength than a normal human, or something a bit more impressive?
how about... human life is what you make it? to the jesus and many other rational people its expendable, because in the bigger picture were really nothing more then another species on another planet within another solar system... essentially, were specs of sand on the beach we like to call the universe. but sorry bub, thats not what i believe. i think most of us have interacted with our own kind long enough to comprehend the spectrum of human emotion, and unfortunately its seriously influenced my opinion on what human life is worth. it isnt comparable to anything weve created or anything we can own, its not a commodity that should be controlled. i believe the same can be said for all animals, but the morality of killing prey contradicts these emotions... in the end itll just make you sick wanting to help every baby lamb there is while your eating veal for dinner. human life is worth more to me then it should, but so are many other things. everythings a matter of opinion, theres no absolute answer to this question.
Just out of curiosity, how can the value of a life can be determined? When I say life I not just talking about humans, I mean the life of living beings. Does it changes according to actions taken, to personality, to the number friends you have, etc.
Life itself is more valuable then we all believe, however since humans cannot understand the value of life, we tend to make people believe what the values of life is by setting out an illusion that makes others believe what value it has.

I do not understand what the value of life is either, however I try to act accordingly by doing my end of the bargain as a human being by supporting others and helping them understand each other.

There is so many things that can only sum up a fraction of the value of life, because we tend to not seriously set out to explore the meaning of the value of human life.

So I have to say this, I cannot tell you what the value of life is, otherwise I would just tell you based on my experience and opinions on it, which means my answer does not even sum up to the value of life, so I am sorry.

However, just act nice and free and help anyone you can, because that alone is also a valuable essence of life.
Sentience.

And that's probably among the only basic reasons, besides human ties to other humans and empathy.
Human life is precious because without it, nothing else has value.

Seriously, dead people? They don't value anything.
I don't see how humans are any better than any other form of life out there. Anyone who said that humans are better because we are stronger, that is called dominance, for the will to kill of a species or kill it, that is control.

I don't see where we hold a higher position over anything else, to say that our life is better than anything else.

the reason why we say so is because we are selfish. Humans are naturally selfish creatures, and will want more than our fair share. No, we want the right to be better, to say that what should be earned by all, is instead only ours by right of birth as human beings.

It's funny how humans have become the dominant creatures on this planet, yet we are one of the weakest species there is. we can't fight a bear, or a lion, or a shark. So we instead use weapons to kill them. We need something else to help us fight something that was naturally made to dominate.

I also refuse the believe that humans are more important just because our brains are a little more developed than a dogs.

Our life is short and meaningless. Don't agree with me? Then tell me what you do in your daily lives. Do you work in an office building, behind a desk signing papers? In a warehouse moving boxes back and forth? Or a hospital, checking on patients and performing surgeries? Even just behind the counter of a random store?

Out of all of those jobs, what do you do that's more important than any creature out there? healing the sick, keeping the economy moving, or making sure people get what they want? Truth is, it's none of those.

It's really just surviving. We go through all of these routines day in and day out, "working" at our jobs, but it's not for the benefit of those who we serve. Not for the feeling of a hard days work. I doubt any of you would even keep that job if they asked you to do it for free.

We do it for the money. Money is obviously what makes the world go round, and in short, is our very survival. Without money, we can't buy food, pay bills that would keep the roof over our heads, or even just the simple luxuries. no matter how advanced our society may seem to you, but at the very base of it all, we're all crazed animals who are trying to survival in a fucked up jungle.

It's this very reason that I think humans are lower than any other creature out there. A wolf doesn't go about it's day thinking that it's all important like a human. It doesn't lay about doing meaningless things that we do everyday in our own homes, arrogantly thinking that it's better than everyone else. A wolf only survives the woods, hunting for itself and it's pups, who will live on after it's death, knowing that it did what it needed to do.
Takerial Lovable Teddy Bear
Human life is precious to humans because we place more value on our own species than others.

Just like family will be more precious than strangers and how those you love will be more precious than those your hate.

You're ignoring the fact that the statement is from the viewpoint of a human.

And what you are actually trying to argue against is whether or not humans are significant.
I believe human life is treated like a resource for managers, administrators and governors. You can enhance their value by training them to be more productive. They can help enhance the value of your enterprises, you can power the economy with the labour they provide and list goes on.

I believe this is one of the reasons why suicide is illegal in some countries. When you are part of country, the country owns you. You are precious to the country. That I believe is their line of thinking.
Because we are humans.

That's the short answer.

The slightly longer answer is: "Because we've evolved to value ourselves if we are to continue surviving."

This...might not be a very satisfactory answer in your mind, but I would have to ask: Why not?

Why is it insufficient to say that we are biologically predisposed to value things, and that one of these more often than not includes human life? More specifically our own individual lives, which then reflects on a universal desire for the continuous sustainment of human life?

Why? Why...is that not good enough?
Perpetuation of the race to which we belong.
Data Zero Valkyrie Forces CO

Not beliving that human life is precious. This can go on a mile long debate.
I have heard years ago that when an aircraft company considers costs and benefits of new technologies, it will also take in account human lives that were lost during accidents due to lack of these technologies. A human life would count 2000 dollars (?), which is probably the profit lost due to reputation plus the few customers that died. On the other hand, in Thailand you can buy humans for 10.000 dollars, and murder them at will. Some people earn 1000 bucks a month, others earn hundreds of thousands and get everythng paid by their company. A soldier's loving wife sees him as invaluable, for the general his death is just a number. Millions of people are concerned about the health and welfare of the Pope or Steven Hawking, but how many people care about a poor retiree?

As you can see, everything depends on the persepective. Thus arguing about the morals behind it, does not seem to make much sense, to me at least. You need to find your own philosophy for it, but don't expect other people to think the same as yourself. Working on yourself and making yourself more valuable, is however always a good approach.
As I see news on t.v. I see how many thing like death,murder,war,and suicide what is the meaning of are life are we just toys or pets of this world. Because long time ago I almost saw my life flash before me when a nail gun shot threw a wall missing my neck and almost killed me. As I think about it what can we say that if life and death go on each day would that mean we will all just die out in the future. and as you see in to the future you see the earth is also dying and can we save it.........
Gravity cat the adequately amused
Because long time ago I almost saw my life flash before me when a nail gun shot threw a wall missing my neck and almost killed me

How can it almost kill you if it missed?