Is obama really a good Pres? US topic

Pages FirstPrev45678910

Is Obama a good Pres?

Total Votes : 231
Fiery_penguin_of_doom wrote...
silverpotatoes wrote...
Obama care = Bob Dole's Idea

Citation needed. Most people are familiar with Hilary's attempt at government healthcare back in the early 90's but, hearing the Bob Dole angle is interesting if a bit hard to believe.

People don't like Obama racking up the debt despite the fact that most of the debt is caused by our defense spending which is something Obama wants to cut and the Republicans want to keep.

Our defense budget is so large because we subsidize the defense of wealthy nations which allows them to spend less per capita on their military and instead funnel the money into social programs. If the U.S closed some overseas bases, we'd be spending a lot less on defense and the nations we subsidize would in turn be required to spend more on their own defenses which would cut into their social programs.

When a nation is in recession, you have to spend money because the health of an economy is based on whether or not money is flowing freely like blood. If you look at Europe, they are doing the opposite of Obama in that they want to stop spending money and borrowing and because of that, their unemployment is going up while ours is going down, even though it's not that fast, it's still a recovery and it's a hell of alot better than Hoover's time when the unemployment was around 25%. This recession of 2008 was 2nd worst to the recession regardless of who caused it (Clinton).

Government spending only artificially inflates the economy while at the same time distorting everything associated with the economy such as devaluing their currency. Japan's lost decade(s) are a testament that government spending does not end a recession.

As someone who watches Bill Maher alot, he always makes the point that democrats should be more angry with Obama than Republicans because Obama has done more to piss the Democrats off than the Reps, such as staying in the wars, not arresting Cheney and Bush, not ending the war on drugs, Not cutting defense spending, not repealing the patriot act, etc.

If you believe in the Democrat vs Republican charade going on in Washington, you're a goddamned idiot. Neither party cares about the issues.

Here's a list of Democrats that voted to allow the use of drones to spy on Americans on American Soil.

Max Baucus (D-MT)
Mark Begich (D-AK)
Michael Bennet (D-CO)
Jeff Bingaman (D-NM)
Barbara Boxer (D-CA)
Maria Cantwell (D-WA)
Tom Carper (D-DE)
Chris Coons (D-DE)
Dick Durbin (D-IL)
Dianne Feinstein (D-CA)
Kay Hagan (D-NC)
Dan Inouye (D-HI)
Tim Johnson (D-SD)
John Kerry (D-MA)
Herbert Kohl (D-WI)
Mary Landrieu (D-LA)
Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ)
Carl Levin (D-MI)
Joe Manchin (D-WV)
Robert Menendez (D-NJ)
Patty Murray (D-WA)
Bill Nelson (D-FL)
Ben Nelson (D-NE)
Mark Pryor (D-AR)
John Reed (D-RI)
Harry Reid (D-NV)
Jay Rockefeller (D-WV)
Chuck Schumer (D-NY)
Jeanne Shaheen (D-NH)
Jon Tester (D-MT)
Mark Udall (D-CO)
Tom Udall (D-NM)
Mark Warner (D-VA)
Jim Webb (D-VA)
Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI)
Ron Wyden (D-OR)

The parties don't care about you, your family, your issues or anything else beyond what will get the party into power and what will keep the party in power.

Both parties are hypocrites and nothing will change until people learn that both parties are the problem

Gee I guessed you skipped the part of my comment that said "I voted for Johnson in 2012"
silverpotatoes wrote...
Gee I guessed you skipped the part of my comment that said "I voted for Johnson in 2012"

Gee, could it have been the the section you're probably responding to was a criticism of those who watch Bill Maher and the other talking heads of political entertainment.

theotherjacob wrote...

U.S. efforts to achieve universal coverage began with Theodore Roosevelt, who had the support of progressive health care reformers in the 1912 election but was defeated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_health_care_reform_in_the_United_States

I saw no mention of Bob Dole. Still waiting on that citation of government healthcare was Bob Dole's idea.
Fiery_penguin_of_doom wrote...
silverpotatoes wrote...

Gee, could it have been the the section you're probably responding to was a criticism of those who watch Bill Maher and the other talking heads of political entertainment.

theotherjacob wrote...

U.S. efforts to achieve universal coverage began with Theodore Roosevelt, who had the support of progressive health care reformers in the 1912 election but was defeated

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_health_care_reform_in_the_United_States

I saw no mention of Bob Dole. Still waiting on that citation of government healthcare was Bob Dole's idea.

When I said "Obamacare = Bob Dole's Idea" I didn't mean Bob Dole made it, I mean't in 1996 when he ran against Clinton, Clinton and Dole represented both their views on Healthcare, what Bob Dole wanted in healthcare is similar to Obamacare. Read Dole's plan and Read Obamacare. And to give you some historical perspective, people always complain about things that may destroy the country but won't. Everyone thought Johnson's medicare and medicaid programs would destroy America, it didn't, everyone thought Bill Clinton raising taxes in 1993 would shatter the economy and plunge us into a great depression, it didn't.
silverpotatoes wrote...
When I said "Obamacare = Bob Dole's Idea" I didn't mean Bob Dole made it, I mean't in 1996 when he ran against Clinton, Clinton and Dole represented both their views on Healthcare, what Bob Dole wanted in healthcare is similar to Obamacare. Read Dole's plan and Read Obamacare. And to give you some historical perspective, people always complain about things that may destroy the country but won't. Everyone thought Johnson's medicare and medicaid programs would destroy America, it didn't, everyone thought Bill Clinton raising taxes in 1993 would shatter the economy and plunge us into a great depression, it didn't.

I guess you are unfamiliar with the concept of burden of proof. The reason why politicians and people make the claim (repeatedly I might add) is for political points. It's easier to motivate people to take action when they are scared. It's why Democrats lie and say "Republicans want to take away Grandma's social security" when the Republicans push for reform. It's why Republicans claim the Democrats are going to totally and utterly gut our national defense when they push for a reduction in military spending.

It's a combination of political scoring and simple fear mongering to motivate the partisan troglodytes into action.
Obama's a pretty terrible president.

Right wing on many issues (supporting expanded surveillance, didn't do shit to bring Wall Street to account), useless in others (stemming gun violence, curbing the role of money in politics, reducing corporate entitlement, environmental protection) and downright abhorrent on others (human rights, Gitmo, drone strikes, ordering the assassination of US citizens without trial).

About his only saving grace is that his opponents are the batshit insane Republican party.

This video pretty much sums up my thoughts on the election:
[youtube]WpMPu5p_QXU[/youtube]
Oh yeah, Hes the tops! :)
Pages FirstPrev45678910