Magic the Gathering

BlinkXPoke Cards and Hugs abound
sakabato24 wrote...
BlinkXPoke wrote...
sakabato24 wrote...
Wondering if I should go the the only GPT in Korea next week...

You should do it, it seems like a great opportunity.
What's the format?

Standard.

Standard, huh. Are you still on RWU, or have things changed since Born of the Gods?
sakabato24 World Warrior
BlinkXPoke wrote...
sakabato24 wrote...
BlinkXPoke wrote...
sakabato24 wrote...

What's the format?

Standard.

Standard, huh. Are you still on RWU, or have things changed since Born of the Gods?

I'm thinking just going to UW control. I really don't like it due it being either a 50/50 match-up, that, and I feel it's just very linear compared to UWR. You either deal with a thread, or you can't. I feel UWR can do it better.
sakabato24 wrote...
BlinkXPoke wrote...
sakabato24 wrote...
BlinkXPoke wrote...
sakabato24 wrote...

What's the format?

Standard.

I'm thinking just going to UW control. I really don't like it due it being either a 50/50 match-up, that, and I feel it's just very linear compared to UWR. You either deal with a thread, or you can't. I feel UWR can do it better.

I do like a variant of UW that simply splashes Red for Counterflux in the main and Assemble the Legion in the sideboard. My version that I tried out on Cockatrice literally only has one win condition: Elixir of Immortality. I win every game dragging out the game and reshuffling my own deck until they lose. There are two Mutavaults to serve as some kind of actual defense, but otherwise, it's all spells and lands. Usually people just concede after the game has dragged out long enough. At least, that's the hope...

I agree that the deck has trouble dealing with certain permanents. Every list I see usually has one fatal flaw: it has no answer to Obzedat. Azorius Charm can deal with it temporarily (maybe forever, if you manage to counter it), but otherwise, you could be out of luck.
It seems fine against anything else, as long as you're able to stablize. The red definitely helps, though, just makes the mana worse, however.
sakabato24 World Warrior
Blargh... I don't like Standard at all right now. Been playing a lot of Modern, and I'm trying to start building a Legacy deck.
Hello guys, new poster here, I saw the link to this thread in OP's signature, thought I'd come check it out. I've been playing Magic since Zendikar block, and my favorite format is EDH, also known as Elder Dragon Highlander or Commander. Since I really didn't want to go through all 81 pages, are there any other EDH players here? (Favorite deck is my Green/White Angels EDH, with
Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=240033&type=card
as my commander.)
sakabato24 World Warrior
I play plenty of EDH. I have 2 so far and thinking on what to make for my 3rd one. I am %65 on foiling/promoing out my first EDH deck, with the commander being Tarjic. My second one is Sharrum, using a lot of reanimator tech and such with both artifacts and creatures. Thinking of making a UWR commander deck in the future.
Holoofyoistu The Messenger
sakabato24 wrote...
Blargh... I don't like Standard at all right now. Been playing a lot of Modern, and I'm trying to start building a Legacy deck.

I agree. Theros is a shitty block.

Ive been playing in a competative meta for about 2 years now. Modern is my game, and i run a BRW hyper agro deck. Think Dega deciple into a falkenrath aristocrat, assault strobe and swing for 14 turn 3. PM me if anyone wants to play over skype of somthing.
Holoofyoistu wrote...
sakabato24 wrote...

Ive been playing in a competative meta for about 2 years now. Modern is my game, and i run a BRW hyper agro deck. Think Dega deciple into a falkenrath aristocrat, assault strobe and swing for 14 turn 3. PM me if anyone wants to play over skype of somthing.

Do you use cockatrice? It's a good free way to play Magic online. And it's a good place to build decks and fine tune them properly.
BlinkXPoke wrote...
Holoofyoistu wrote...
sakabato24 wrote...

Do you use cockatrice? It's a good free way to play Magic online. And it's a good place to build decks and fine tune them properly.

Not really, im part of the magic club at my school, and its got a ton of people. About 200 total, and we have people who have gone to grand pri. and shit. I dont have a ton of money to invest, but both my black/white/red deck and my meleriapod deck are super fine. :)
Holoofyoistu wrote...
BlinkXPoke wrote...
Holoofyoistu wrote...
sakabato24 wrote...

Not really, im part of the magic club at my school, and its got a ton of people. About 200 total, and we have people who have gone to grand pri. and shit. I dont have a ton of money to invest, but both my black/white/red deck and my meleriapod deck are super fine. :)

Ah god, Melira Pod. That deck seems fun, but I don't wanna build it. It's too popular, so I imagine it gets meta'd against heavily. That aggro deck your mentioning sounds interesting though, do you mind posting up the list?

Also, yeah, you should download cockatrice, we can play there. I've been looking for some reliable people to test with.
sakabato24 World Warrior
Anyone see any of the new spoilers for Nyx? I really like the UR God a lot, and the BW god seems really good for Pod players. They get to use all their creatures a lot more. So good.

As of right now, still playing UWR Control in Standard, and I'm building GW Hatebears for Modern now.
BlinkXPoke wrote...
Holoofyoistu wrote...
BlinkXPoke wrote...
Holoofyoistu wrote...
sakabato24 wrote...

Ah god, Melira Pod. That deck seems fun, but I don't wanna build it. It's too popular, so I imagine it gets meta'd against heavily. That aggro deck your mentioning sounds interesting though, do you mind posting up the list?

Also, yeah, you should download cockatrice, we can play there. I've been looking for some reliable people to test with.

The reason pod is so good right now is becasue its super hard to shut down. You need losts of multi targets, like anger of teh gods or slagsstorm, DOJ, WOG, etc.
And i do mind posting my agro deck, i spent a long time finetunig it to get it to where it is now, but ill tell you a little about it.

It just stalls to hell with blood artist, kill spells, lingering souls, timly reinforcements, and Slag storms until i can get an aristocrat spark, pump it and smack you in the race.

It also runs expricates, thought seizees and sin collectors to fuck with control and anti agro.
sakabato24 wrote...
Anyone see any of the new spoilers for Nyx? I really like the UR God a lot, and the BW god seems really good for Pod players. They get to use all their creatures a lot more. So good.

As of right now, still playing UWR Control in Standard, and I'm building GW Hatebears for Modern now.

I'm trying to see if I can find a way to add more counters so that new Ajani plus Sage of Hours equals infinite turns. Apparently someone has already found a way.

As for me, I really like the UR god, and the UG god is hilarious. All I want to do now is build a RUG control deck again that wins through a gigantic fireball that I've been storing mana for. Gimmicky as fuck, but seems super fun.

Holoofyoistu wrote...
Spoiler:
BlinkXPoke wrote...
Holoofyoistu wrote...
BlinkXPoke wrote...
Holoofyoistu wrote...
sakabato24 wrote...

The reason pod is so good right now is becasue its super hard to shut down. You need losts of multi targets, like anger of teh gods or slagsstorm, DOJ, WOG, etc.
And i do mind posting my agro deck, i spent a long time finetunig it to get it to where it is now, but ill tell you a little about it.

It just stalls to hell with blood artist, kill spells, lingering souls, timly reinforcements, and Slag storms until i can get an aristocrat spark, pump it and smack you in the race.

It also runs expricates, thought seizees and sin collectors to fuck with control and anti agro.

That sounds interesting. It sounds almost like a variant of the original Aristocrats deck back from the previous Standard format.
Just out of curiosity,
Any of you guys or your playmates belong in the list?
18 people you meet playing Magic the Gathering
kickiluxxx wrote...
Just out of curiosity,

There are definitely lots of Thinkers, but I like to think they're just being very careful. All the Thinkers I've played with win most of their matches, after all. They actually do the complicated math and map out all the possibilities.

When you play with Level 4 judges and people who play tournament Magic at Grand Prix's and make Day Two often enough, you know they are sticklers to the rules. But this is also a good thing, I'd rather play properly.

I'm definitely the idle shuffler. Unlike Brian Kibler, I don't move my hands that fast (I honestly don't know how he does most of his tricks, and how he still picks the right cards to play as he does it), but I do need to keep my hands moving. It's helpful that the guys who for some reason can't stand it get annoyed by it and sometimes misplay.
BlinkXPoke wrote...
kickiluxxx wrote...
Just out of curiosity,

There are definitely lots of Thinkers, but I like to think they're just being very careful. All the Thinkers I've played with win most of their matches, after all. They actually do the complicated math and map out all the possibilities.

When you play with Level 4 judges and people who play tournament Magic at Grand Prix's and make Day Two often enough, you know they are sticklers to the rules. But this is also a good thing, I'd rather play properly.

I'm definitely the idle shuffler. Unlike Brian Kibler, I don't move my hands that fast (I honestly don't know how he does most of his tricks, and how he still picks the right cards to play as he does it), but I do need to keep my hands moving. It's helpful that the guys who for some reason can't stand it get annoyed by it and sometimes misplay.

I would say I'm a combination of 11,12,17,18.
I usually have my cards in weird spots when I play that sometimes people actually do try to arrange it for me. I also never knew till I read this article that tap is to the right. I also always have my own mat, box of d6s and 5 different colored big D20s.
Most of the time, people also assume I'm an absolute novice just trying the game for the first time...
kickiluxxx wrote...
BlinkXPoke wrote...
kickiluxxx wrote...
Just out of curiosity,

I would say I'm a combination of 11,12,17,18.
I usually have my cards in weird spots when I play that sometimes people actually do try to arrange it for me. I also never knew till I read this article that tap is to the right. I also always have my own mat, box of d6s and 5 different colored big D20s.
Most of the time, people also assume I'm an absolute novice just trying the game for the first time...

Well, plenty of people who've played for a long time still tap to the left. It's just a habit, and it's not like it affects the game in any way. I've seen professional players do it. It's the same thing for the guys who like to play their lands in front of their nonlands.
I tend to have a messy field, too, but when it comes to actually doing something with it (setting up an attack, setting up blocks, etc.), I'll start to rearrange it in a more orderly manner. Typically, though, I keep Enchantments and Planeswalkers on my right, Artifacts on my left, and Creatures somewhere in the middle of the two.

Also, everyone I play with has a playmat and their own set of dice, including me. Everyone would rather play on their clean mat, rather than the dirty table, lol. And, of course, dice is very useful. Counts everything.
I'm #17 all the way. My swag game is fierce.
sakabato24 World Warrior
After seeing the complete set for Nyx, I'm actually surprised that they didn't at least re-print Condemned. I thought that would be the good replacement for Syncopate after rotation, but it didn't come out. I'm actually kinda disappointed. Oh well, still got Magma Spray back I guess. I say a little late on that, because exiling creatures as of right now is not that important. Maybe next set, but not right now. Still would play Pillar of Flames over it.
sakabato24 wrote...
After seeing the complete set for Nyx, I'm actually surprised that they didn't at least re-print Condemned. I thought that would be the good replacement for Syncopate after rotation, but it didn't come out. I'm actually kinda disappointed. Oh well, still got Magma Spray back I guess. I say a little late on that, because exiling creatures as of right now is not that important. Maybe next set, but not right now. Still would play Pillar of Flames over it.

Condescend?
It definitely would've been a good one, considering Scry is a thing in this format. That said, I kinda wanted a Serum Visions reprint...
Magma Spray seems a year late. Innistrad is where it would have been amazing, and even then, yeah, Pillar seems usually better.

I did like all the dredge stuff that came out. Pharika, Nyx Weaver, Brain Maggot, the G/B Temple (which I tried out and actually haven't been impressed with, coming into play tapped is so hard...). I've wanted to put the deck down because, despite how fun it is, it didn't win as much as I would have hoped, even in other player's hands, but, geez, when that much comes out for it, it's hard not to want to keep playing it. It's so much more consistent now.