[Anime] Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei!

Pages 123Next
photo vlcsnap-2014-07-29-12h51m58s13_zps789c437a.png

I'm not really a Fate/stay night fan, nor a huge fan of Magical Girls, but I do like alternate universes and spin-offs since it gives new life to existing series, or it's a new way to attract new fans for more money to roll in. Case in point, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 2wei!, (I have not watched the first season but will in due time) had me hooked for it's sheer amount of comedy, action, sex (Err... Yuri themes that is) and violence.

I'm not sure if there was already a thread that was made before but if not then I'm placing this on the threads for the meantime until the mods will make rectifications on this issue.

You can post any of your thoughts about this new show, like your favorite characters, scenes, funny moments, etc..
I actually overlooked this as another Magical Girl in the Fate/Stay night series and is aimed for the moe community or another fan service. I was wrong. It's actually a Magical-Girl-spin-off-of-Fate/stay-night-series-that-is-aimed-for-the-moe-community w/-fan-service, done right.

I guess you can never judge a show by it's interior until you actually watched it. I like Madoka Magica because of it's dark theme/story line but this show has a good balance of action, comedy and err... well, I really don't like the fan service on this one so I'm just watching it for the first two I've mentioned.

What I like about this as well is the BGM for the fights; It's really catchy and it makes me excited on just hearing it. I'm not sure either if the BGM or music was used it the previous anime adaptations of Fate/stay night or if it was used before on the previous games but if this was used here for the first time, then I will mark it as my favorite BGM/music for battles on a Magical Girl genre.

I just hope that this will have more episodes compared to season 1 since I feel 10 episodes is just too short and I'm sorry for being greedy but I want to have this like 20 or more.

I'm not going to dwell for the meantime on the episodes so that we will reduce spoilers, but for what I was able to know, the show is based on the Manga of the same title. I'm not certain as well if it will be perfectly faithful or if it will have some alterations but I'm not going to read the original print just for the sake of not knowing what will happen on the next episodes since it's more fun that way.

-DarkdaemonPK2.
DarkdaemonPK2 wrote...
I actually overlooked this as another Magical Girl in the Fate/Stay night series and is aimed for the moe community or another fan service. I was wrong. It's actually a Magical-Girl-spin-off-of-Fate/stay-night-series-that-is-aimed-for-the-moe-community w/-fan-service, done right.

I guess you can never judge a show by it's interior until you actually watched it. I like Madoka Magica because of it's dark theme/story line but this show has a good balance of action, comedy and err... well, I really don't like the fan service on this one so I'm just watching it for the first two I've mentioned.

What I like about this as well is the BGM for the fights; It's really catchy and it makes me excited on just hearing it. I'm not sure either if the BGM or music was used it the previous anime adaptations of Fate/stay night or if it was used before on the previous games but if this was used here for the first time, then I will mark it as my favorite BGM/music for battles on a Magical Girl genre.

I just hope that this will have more episodes compared to season 1 since I feel 10 episodes is just too short and I'm sorry for being greedy but I want to have this like 20 or more.

I'm not going to dwell for the meantime on the episodes so that we will reduce spoilers, but for what I was able to know, the show is based on the Manga of the same title. I'm not certain as well if it will be perfectly faithful or if it will have some alterations but I'm not going to read the original print just for the sake of know knowing what will happen on the next episodes since it's more fun that way.

-DarkdaemonPK2.

Wait till you get to 2wei's 2nd half, because...

Spoiler:
That part's gonna be pretty much the prequel for the 3rd season, which is mega crazy and was foreshadowed lightly in the 1st season.

Anyway, once we're done with Kuro's introduction, things will finally heat up, and the storytelling's gonna be on par with Fate/Stay Night's VN (I just hope they won't mess it up)
Uzumaki101 wrote...
storytelling's gonna be on par with Fate/Stay Night's VN (I just hope they won't mess it up)

Really? REALLY?!...really?
WideEyedMan wrote...
Uzumaki101 wrote...
storytelling's gonna be on par with Fate/Stay Night's VN (I just hope they won't mess it up)

Really? REALLY?!...really?

Well if you can't wait, there's always the manga.
Uzumaki101 wrote...
DarkdaemonPK2 wrote...

I'm not going to dwell for the meantime on the episodes so that we will reduce spoilers, but for what I was able to know, the show is based on the Manga of the same title. I'm not certain as well if it will be perfectly faithful or if it will have some alterations but I'm not going to read the original print just for the sake of know knowing what will happen on the next episodes since it's more fun that way.

-DarkdaemonPK2.

Wait till you get to 2wei's 2nd half, because...

Spoiler:
That part's gonna be pretty much the prequel for the 3rd season, which is mega crazy and was foreshadowed lightly in the 1st season.

Anyway, once we're done with Kuro's introduction, things will finally heat up, and the storytelling's gonna be on par with Fate/Stay Night's VN (I just hope they won't mess it up)

Thanks for the tip. I really like mega crazy things specially if they are really chaotic. I just downloaded all 10 ep and I'll watch 'em later when I get back from school. Then, I'll download the BD rips and the specials to add to my collection. Oh my poor external hard drive will be so full.

There's going to be a 3DS game for this that will be released end of July. I'm not sure if it's a fighting or action game.

-DarkdaemonPK2
I am really impressed by the production values for this series. This seems way better funded than I think it should have any right to be, but fuck me if I'm not happy about that.
There better be more kissing.
Ryssen wrote...
There better be more kissing.

It happens more frequently, because Archer-Illya needs a constant supply of magic from Illya..still boycotting
Just watched episode 4...

Spoiler:
photo dodgeball_zpsf21f09c6.jpg

Compared to to what they are doing, I must say the PE on my school was really mild compared to this... Sigh. I find this episode also a bit mild and more focus on Kuro and the school nurse. I'm thinking more of her past will be revealed in the later episodes?? It better be good if that will be the case.

Looks like everyone is enjoying watching season 2. I'm almost finished watching season 1 so I'm almost ready to make my comparisons for both seasons.

-DarkdaemonPK2
DarkdaemonPK2 wrote...

Spoiler:

Compared to to what they are doing, I must say the PE on my school was really mild compared to this... Sigh. I find this episode also a bit mild and more focus on Kuro and the school nurse. I'm thinking more of her past will be revealed in the later episodes?? It better be good if that will be the case.

Looks like everyone is enjoying watching season 2. I'm almost finished watching season 1 so I'm almost ready to make my comparisons for both seasons.

-DarkdaemonPK2

Looking forward to this and your "then and now" review after S2 ends.
I marathoned the first season and up to the current episode just because of the yuri.
Spoiler:
Totally worth watching. I was expecting magical girls + Fate to be an emotional shitstorm but this series is more comedy than anything. Its interesting to see how it fits into the rest of the Fate universe. Hopefully we get to find out about Miyu's life before meeting Sapphire. After season 1 that felt like a big missing piece at the end.
Oh, looks like Kuro's arc is finally ending in the next episode! After that, the arc up next is
Spoiler:
The fight with Bazett! In other words, the next arc is pretty much the intro for the 3rd season.

Hopefully you guys will enjoy it as much as I will!
brok3n butterfly wrote...
I marathoned the first season and up to the current episode just because of the yuri.
Spoiler:
Totally worth watching. I was expecting magical girls + Fate to be an emotional shitstorm but this series is more comedy than anything. Its interesting to see how it fits into the rest of the Fate universe. Hopefully we get to find out about Miyu's life before meeting Sapphire. After season 1 that felt like a big missing piece at the end.

I agree that it would be great if they would have a flashback on Miyu's. It better be interesting if that will happen!

Uzumaki101 wrote...
DarkdaemonPK2 wrote...

Spoiler:

-DarkdaemonPK2

Looking forward to this and your "then and now" review after S2 ends.

I will give my review sometime next week for season 1 since I've already watched it. Midterm exams are driving me insane, just like the craziness on this show so the review will have to wait. I wish I was a kid again and not worry too much about things like big exams and getting jobs...

-DarkdaemonPK2
Spoiler:
I’ll be reviewing Fate/Liner Prisma Ilya for today and I must admit this is the second time I have reviewed anime: the one being Gun X Sword the first. I’m not really an expert when it comes to reviews so pardon me if this will not turn out really good. If anyone who has not yet seen the show and does not want spoilers, please watch it first then read this after.

For the uninitiated, Fate/Liner Prisma Ilya is a Spin-off of the Fate/Stay night series which stars Ilya, one of the characters and also a competitor in the Holy Grail war. For this series, an alternate universe is set w/c borrows elements from the original show, like characters, places, terminologies and other things that for those fans who have religiously followed the series or game since its humble beginnings, are aware off.

Since the genre is Magical Girl (or mahou shoujo if you may), I have to admit I was skeptical at first since I hate magical girls specially if it has a plot that you need to save the world from devastation or fight a certain villain who plots to conquer the world or still opts to destroy it just for the sake of fulfilling the role of the embodiment of evil.

Well, it turned out I actually enjoyed watching this from beginning to end. In this alternate universe, Ilya is nothing compared to her original; she has a normal childhood and normal life, goes to school and have friends, does not know anything about magic, until Rin and Luvia’s rivalry and fighting inadvertently thrust her into the task of collecting class: cards that is imbued by highly advanced thaumaturgical and if it were misused, could destroy a city.

To be honest, I watched the whole season 1 and I have yet to find anyone who is actually looking for the cards that will use it for evil so I suppose the whole card collecting thing is just a precaution to avoid any major things that may occur in the future.

I was hoping Ilya will actually refuse the task of collecting those cards since I have a guess it may cost her life, and she really does not have a reason to be a Magical Girl to begin with, but since she is a child and is fascinated of being one and is really excited of the prospect of such an opportunity, she still accepts the job.

Come to think of it, all of us may want to fulfill all of our deepest fantasies if given a chance like what happened to Ilya…If you are a kid, just to say so I really cannot blame Ilya for her decision.

Retrieving the cards borrows elements from past Magical Girls shows like Card Captor Sakura and Madoka Magica when it comes on going to the world where the class cards are, a sort of realm where it resides so any fights that will happen will not affect the real world nor affect civilians (thank goodness. I’d had it with casualties).

For the Class cards themselves, Ilya needs to fight the heroic spirit of that card before she can retrieve it. What I have noticed about this show is that Ilya does not use any sort of incantation or magic word whenever she uses her wand, err… stick to fight enemies since she uses it more of a ranged weapon that bursts out infinite amount of ammo, err... mana.

As I have watched it further, the fight scenes are getting more intense w/c is getting to be on par with the battles on the original Fate/stay night series. The one that I like about is that the girls can change into the heroic spirit the card houses; w/c gives them the exact power and ability it contains.

. I actually like that part where Miyu is putting a façade in order to protect Ilya since she is her first friend she ever had and does not want to expose her to any further harm, w/c gives us a classic theme (importance of friendship) that most or some Magical Girl shows would like to convey.

The other thing that I liked about this series as well is the comedy, w/c I was able to observe both inside and outside battles w/c ranges from slapstick to yuri fanservice. I really like it when Rin is greatly irritated when Ruby is making smart-ass or bitchy comments since it’s displayed in a comical fashion. I also like the part where they made Ilya the protagonist for this series since I feel that her original “self” from the Fate/stay night series is a very sad and tragic one, and I’m really relieved Type-Moon gave her new life on this alternate universe since she deserves happiness as well.

The things I don’t like about this show is that Rin does not show much concern when it comes to Ilya whenever she is fighting those heroic spirits and even if she does show it, it’s not really portrayed in a very good manner although I was hoping she would at display some sort of guilt or conscience on forcing a huge task to a little girl since retrieving those cards is risky, but it never went into fruition.

The other thing I want to complain is the actual length of the series. I understand a show cannot be judged on how many episodes it has but the actual quality of the story and art, and all of the other aspects that should count. But 10 episodes is just too hard for me to justify this series but thankfully the second season is already airing, so I’ll just make a comparison between the two after 2wei concludes. Overall, this is a very good spin-off and although short, it still managed to at least reconsider that not all Magical Girls shows have gone all kiddy or retarded.

My review is a bit long so my apologies if it is not a very good one. Currently waiting for ep 6 as I'm typing this and I'm also downloading the BD version ofseason 1 as well so I'll be able to see what minor differences the ones that are aired compared to the home version.

-DarkdaemonPK2
Just watched episode 6 this morning.

Spoiler:

photo vlcsnap-2014-08-14-08h59m10s196_zps041aed2c.png
Ilya's mom is back

photo vlcsnap-2014-08-14-08h59m35s173_zps6d1d55f5.png
Was that really necessary??

As I have mentioned before I have not read the original manga in order to build up excitement because I hate spoilers since I like watching a series w/o any knowledge of anything that will happen on the current episode or the succeeding ones.

For what I able to learn [on today's episode] the Holy Grail war still exists(but it already ended) and Ilya was supposed to be the Holy Grail but for some reason Kuro was the one who took the burden of being the Grail and Ilya had a normal life instead. I could understand why Kuro was so bitter since she was deprived of a normal life and a family that was meant to be her's but for this, I really cannot put the blame on Ilya since she is innocent and has nothing to do with whatever transpired in the past. Perhaps the blame should be placed on the parents instead but Kuro was blowing off steam to the wrong person consistently as I have observed on the previous episodes.

This episode is more serious and less comedic since this is more of a family issue Ilya is trying to resolve w/o anyone getting seriously hurt or being killed although I would have preferred if they had the meeting on a more desirable place instead of having it inside the bath.

The episode ended on a happy note: Kuro did not disappear due to mana seperationand she was formally introduced to Ilya's family but still as a cousin. I was hoping Ilya's mom would somehow apologized to Kuro for what she did like any sorry mother would but that did not happen yet.

photo vlcsnap-2014-08-14-09h11m26s118_zps51e0e1dd.png

Looks like they are still using the same concept for Ilya's character being as the Holy Grail and I was hoping she would not suffer the same tragedy but looks like it did missed her (since Kuro was the victim). I hope no one will start that stupid Holy Grail war since they confirmed it on this episode that it not longer exists but still, someone might start it again so I'm really not that hopeful. Sigh... I guess this is what "fate" means.

@Uzumaki101
Spoiler:

I'm not certain if the fight w/ Bazett will occur next episode. She might be introduced like at very end of ep 7, but then again I might be wrong.

photo vlcsnap-2014-08-14-09h05m10s202_zpsef748c33.png

photo vlcsnap-2014-08-14-09h04m45s226_zpsebd088fd.png

I mentioned earlier that I'm currently downloading the BD version of season 1. I'll post the pics for comparison for the aired version and the home version if I have time. But, for now...

Spoiler:

Ilya beast mode photo vlcsnap-2014-08-14-01h02m29s34_zpsaeb18bb4.png

The BD version includes really crazy bonuses, and one of them features "Beast Ilya" mode. I suppose this is just an exclusive outfit for her to wear on that segment (or it's just plain old fan service yet again) but it would be funny and crazy at the same time if she will use this on future episodes. Did Ilya also had a "Beast Ilya" costume in the original manga?

photo vlcsnap-2014-08-14-01h02m41s187_zpsb718449c.png

photo vlcsnap-2014-08-14-01h04m15s112_zpse2057fed.png

photo vlcsnap-2014-08-14-01h05m04s93_zps494d6897.png

And that's it for now. I hope you guys watch ep 6 ASAP. Any thoughts or comments for ep 6? Please post it on our forums. Goodbye for now!

-DarkdaemonPK2
DarkdaemonPK2 wrote...
@Uzumaki101
Spoiler:

I'm not certain if the fight w/ Bazett will occur next episode. She might be introduced like at very end of ep 7, but then again I might be wrong.

Saw the episode today. Yeah, looks like that's what's happening.

Also, they did the pyramid-shield-thing wrong. Ruby already told Illya she can't block the shot, so instead of blocking it, she deflected the shot instead.

source:

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/fate_kaleid_liner_prisma_illya_2wei/v01/c010/4.html

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/fate_kaleid_liner_prisma_illya_2wei/v01/c010/5.html

DarkdaemonPK2 wrote...
I mentioned earlier that I'm currently downloading the BD version of season 1. I'll post the pics for comparison for the aired version and the home version if I have time. But, for now...

Spoiler:

The BD version includes really crazy bonuses, and one of them features "Beast Ilya" mode. I suppose this is just an exclusive outfit for her to wear on that segment (or it's just plain old fan service yet again) but it would be funny and crazy at the same time if she will use this on future episodes. Did Ilya also had a "Beast Ilya" costume in the original manga?

And that's it for now. I hope you guys watch ep 6 ASAP. Any thoughts or comments for ep 6? Please post it on our forums. Goodbye for now!

-DarkdaemonPK2

Oh wow, hahaha! I should really download the BD version as well! It didn't appear in the manga, that's purely fanservice :)))
Uzumaki101 wrote...
DarkdaemonPK2 wrote...
@Uzumaki101
Spoiler:

Saw the episode today. Yeah, looks like that's what's happening.

Also, they did the pyramid-shield-thing wrong. Ruby already told Illya she can't block the shot, so instead of blocking it, she deflected the shot instead.

source:

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/fate_kaleid_liner_prisma_illya_2wei/v01/c010/4.html

http://www.mangahere.co/manga/fate_kaleid_liner_prisma_illya_2wei/v01/c010/5.html

DarkdaemonPK2 wrote...

Spoiler:

-DarkdaemonPK2

Oh wow, hahaha! I should really download the BD version as well! It didn't appear in the manga, that's purely fanservice :)))

You can DL the BD version on this site:
http://loligeddon.wordpress.com/2014/02/17/fate-kaleid-liner-prisma-illya-batch/

They even have the audio commentaries included and the bonuses as well. It's a great package for fans of the series (and those who like to collect BD rips at the same time).

I'm really tempted to read the original print but a part of my brain is very adamant and opposed of the opportunity so I will decline for the time being. Ep 7 will be back again on the comedic part so I bet I'll be laughing so hard again next week!

-DarkdaemonPK2
Episode 7 came out...

YEEEEES!!
Spoiler:
They put in the reference about Typemoon and their Sibling Rivalries!!! And they even showed Kohaku, Stheno/Euryale, and Aozaki Touko!! (I was afraid they might skip this little Easter Egg, lol) :DD

Anyway, this was a fun episode. But happiness must come to an end, eventually.

Spoiler:
Bazett appears next episode! Let's see if this fight's gonna be as gruesome as it looked in the manga :D
Uzumaki101 wrote...
Episode 7 came out...

YEEEEES!!
Spoiler:
They put in the reference about Typemoon and their Sibling Rivalries!!! And they even showed Kohaku, Stheno/Euryale, and Aozaki Touko!! (I was afraid they might skip this little Easter Egg, lol) :DD

You mean these?
photo vlcsnap-2014-08-21-03h57m03s30_zps8d4bbef8.png

I'm not familiar with their origins but I think I've seen them before when I watched a little bit of Carnival Phantasm and when I played Melty Blood for the PS2.

Uzumaki101 wrote...
Anyway, this was a fun episode. But happiness must come to an end, eventually.
Spoiler:
Bazett appears next episode! Let's see if this fight's gonna be as gruesome as it looked in the manga :D

Looks like the person you are waiting for will finally arrive at ep 8. I was hoping I will be the first one to post today and I did not even sleep and waited for horriblesubs to upload today's episode in order to watch it but I guess there's always a lesson learned if your internet connection is slow. And it also means there is also someone who is very excited just to watch this series.

Spoiler:
Today's episode is fun and more on comedy, really exaggerated, lighthearted and a little bit on the ecchi side thanks to Kuro's panties being shown in a very good angle. Wait... I think it's really shown in a very perverted manner... So you can say that today's episode is the exact opposite of last week w/c was quite serious.

Ilya was trying to be a good older sister but it quite backfired since she mixed all the advise she got from her friends. Miyu was pretty much of a background character for what I was able to observe, or did not have much involvement on the story, and Ruby and Saphire was quite missing in action on the whole duration of the show.

What I also liked about today's episode is that they finally revealed at least a part of her friend's family, w/c is their siblings. I dont get to see much back stories for minor characters for most shows so it's very thoughtful of them to include that today. My only gripe however is that her friend's sibling's are nameless or the names were not revealed.

So next week will be the real deal since the anticipated antagonist will finally "bring down the house", literally. I'm really woozy and might have a heart attack due to lack of sleep, or no sleep at all so goodbye for now people. If you have comments or other things you would like to discuss regarding today's episode, please feel free to post!
photo vlcsnap-2014-08-21-04h01m29s248_zpsd83cca2a.png

-DarkdaemonPK2
Pages 123Next