YOB General

Fellow YOB fans, what is your favorite album?

Total Votes : 3
>Posting in a dead section
>I don't give a fuck

Anyways, these guys deliver some of the best doom metal we'll ever hear. Their new album, Clearing the Path to Ascend, is probably my favorite album this year (and that's going against strong albums like To Be Kind, Roads to the North, and Benji to name a few).

What this thread is about:

YOB. We discuss their music and why we like/dislike it, news surrounding upcoming/recently released albums, recommend music similar to YOB, and/or concert experiences.

New to YOB: Where do I Start?

If you don't like doom generally but dig stoner metal, I would say this would act as a good gateway band. I personally got into YOB with Atma since it's more accessible than the rest of their music. From there, I listened to Catharsis, followed by the rest of their albums. Again, I recommend listening to Atma first, then either Catharsis or The Great Cessation.

Starting the Thread Off

As I said, Clearing the Path to Ascend is probably the best album released this year. It features their most expansive, dense, and strongest music yet, all contained in four songs: "In Our Blood," "Nothing to Win," "Unmask The Spectre," and "Marrow." "Marrow" is my favorite song from this album and would be my pick for song of the year. All of the songs hold their weight and bring crushing doom to your ears, yet have a sense of being spiritually uplifting simultaneously. It also feels like it's more in line with their older material than their prior album, Atma.

"Marrow" from Clearing the Path to Ascend
Spoiler:
Ngejo Completed Ioomic Life
This is really hard. My favorite album would probably be either The Great Cessation or Atma. Yet Clearing the Path to Ascend is one of my favorite releases this year.
Ngejo wrote...
This is really hard. My favorite album would probably be either The Great Cessation or Atma. Yet Clearing the Path to Ascend is one of my favorite releases this year.

I think Atma doesn't hold up as well except for "Prepare the Ground" and "Adrift in the Ocean," with the latter being one of my favorite songs. It falls off in the middle, but "Before We Dreamed of Two" was pretty good. The Great Cessation is great though, one of their best.
Gallowloch wrote...
Ngejo wrote...

I think Atma doesn't hold up as well except for "Prepare the Ground" and "Adrift in the Ocean," with the latter being one of my favorite songs. It falls off in the middle, but "Before We Dreamed of Two" was pretty good. The Great Cessation is great though, one of their best.

Yeah, "Adrift in the Ocean" was the song that made me like them in the first place and the whole album is brilliant but after some thought I also think The great Cessation just to be slightly better than Atma. Also "The Lie that is Sin" is just amazing.
Ngejo wrote...
Gallowloch wrote...
Ngejo wrote...

Yeah, "Adrift in the Ocean" was the song that made me like them in the first place and the whole album is brilliant but after some thought I also think The great Cessation just to be slightly better than Atma. Also "The Lie that is Sin" is just amazing.

Every song on the Great Cessation is amazing, in my opinion. My favorites have to be "Burn the Alter," "The Lie That is Sin," and the title track.

Also, "Adrift in the Ocean" is the same song that got me into them. I think that's pretty funny, but it fits into what I said early about Atma being a good starting point for listening to YOB.
Gallowloch wrote...
Ngejo wrote...
Gallowloch wrote...
Ngejo wrote...

Every song on the Great Cessation is amazing, in my opinion. My favorites have to be "Burn the Alter," "The Lie That is Sin," and the title track.

Also, "Adrift in the Ocean" is the same song that got me into them. I think that's pretty funny, but it fits into what I said early about Atma being a good starting point for listening to YOB.

So true and I think most of my friends who like YOB also started with "Adrift in the Ocean".