Suggestion: Role-Play Sub-forum.

Pages 12Next

If a Role-Playing sub-forum was created, would you be interested?

Total Votes : 46
Cinia Pacifica Ojou-sama Writer
Hi, I'd like to suggest the creation of a Role-Playing Forum, once again. There are several users that I'm sure wants this. Well, more than several, if anything. It'd make for more fun story-writing writing experiences. This may be a bit long, but please, bare with me here.

Role-playing, in this case is starkly different than what goes down in CTFG. There is a level of seriousness, and the players/posters usually knows where to draw the line. It's where multiple users come together to work on a story together via playing the character they create themselves, thus playing their role. The old play-by-post is definitely one option, while some may organize a Google Doc or an online writing-pad where they may do real-time writing and simply post up the text (the current norm in Fakku's RP community), and hence post in the RP threads located in the RP forum. A more natural way may be to simply have a discussion thread, while having the main RP thread at the same time.

Problem with having all this in the Writing and Fanfiction Forum is that it sometimes tosses off the other writers' threads below to the second page, or just places them lower in the page. This is actually happening even now as more RP threads are being created, there are roughly about 35 or so threads related to RP in the Writing and Fanfiction forum about right now. I'm quite certain that some writers don't like this, as every writers wants their works to be up there for possible readers who'd read and comment on their work(s). The RP'ers on the other hand wants a forum where all their RP threads are located in; it's easier to navigate this way.

Due to the lesser possibility of it, it'd be likely a sub-forum. Preferably, it's best if it's a sub-forum of Incoherent Babbling (since I doubt this may get it's own forum) - because then it may not easily be overlooked. While it may be more appropriate as a sub-forum of the Writing and Fanfiction forum; it's at the bottom of the Forum page, and I feel that it's one of the factors that makes the forum very unpopular. Well, one of the factors, anyway. I, for one would definitely like more people in the already-small RP community of Fakku. This is just my opinion on the matter, though.

Moving on, there was a concern of the possibilities of trolling, and the cases of particular rules of RPs that may be broken – as suggested by the arguments from the last suggestion thread for an RP sub-forum in this forum, but this may simply be resolved with the click of a report button accompanied by a terse and concise report of the issue – a moderator may hence solve the issue after a period of time when they see it. While it'd be nice to have a moderator – who understands RPs more in-depth in general – for such a forum; I don't think Jacob wants any new moderators here. I think the Global Moderators can deal with most situations provided they receive a simple detail of the issue, for, say, trolling. They may simply delete the posts of the troll from the thread and provide him a warning, perhaps.

Honestly, I can't see trolling happening often, there was only one troll in the past 3 years (or, roughly, 4 years) in which RP'ing has sparsely occurred in the Writing and Fanfiction forum. Then again, the Writing and Fanfiction forum was unpopular, and the actual trolls may not have noticed. I don't think we'll see too many instances of trolls appearing regardless, even if the section is indeed made.

I don't think there's much to say regarding the cybering issue here. It is definitely banned here and I don't have a problem with that, and I think most people would be completely fine with it, too. Others may carry out whatever cyber-jerking they prefer in private. If they're posted somewhere, people may as well report them. At least, I would. Since I don't really like them myself.

And lastly, regarding the many benefits of Role-Playing. I think Xenon summed this up quite nicely in his old thread:
Xenon wrote...
-Role-playing can help you improve your writing ability
-Role-playing can be a great activity to boost your creativity or show it off
-Role-playing can create a strong sense of belonging to the group you participate with
-Role-playing can be as fun an activity as a sport or game with a combined use of reading and writing
-Role-playing creates a sense of productivity and can be as relaxed or intense as you make it

I am well-aware that a suggestion such as this was made in the past, but I'm trying once again, as there are more RPs than before now. I don't think the RP forum would be unpopular if enough people gets to know of its existence. There are large RP sites and many people do these activities in the internet; it isn't anything new. I'm sure a lot of people would love to see the forum being made here. Plus, I don't think it takes that long to make the sub-forum, as far as I know, anyway.

And that's all I have to say about this here. Thanks for taking the time to read the post.
As much as I love my little group of buddies. It would be great to have some new faces in the group. Also having what we write read by more people will help us get feedback. Of course we will need to have some good universal rules, but we already enforce the rules within our our group. Even if we as a rp community have to maintain the forum it shouldn't be much different.

Forum Image: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_9b-iMgBDgdI/SdnsYDWa5uI/AAAAAAAACWk/IHSqaPWkCBU/s320/lovecoloring.jpg

I love writing, and I vote yes!
Xenon FAKKU Writer
Oh, man. The memories.

Maybe a review of the last couple of years worth of pretty decent RPs speak for themselves, but I still support the notion and still think this is a good idea. Well said, Cinia.

For reference, you can find the thread I posted as a suggestion in this subforum almost four years ago here: Sub-forum Suggestion: Role-Playing
Also, the thread I posted shortly after the first in the Random section to assess if there was interest (spoiler alert, there was) here: Role-Playing on FAKKU

Spoiler:
[size=10]Vote Xenon for W&F/RP section mod 2014.[/h]
Honestly it makes far more sense to have a section for Role-play rather than lumping it in with the stories and works of those in the Writing section, which causes the things they have worked hard on to be bumped off the front page by the much more frequently bumped Roleplays.

This section would also be a big boon for roleplayers as with a section, more people who might not have known that Fakku had a roleplaying community or didn't fully pay attention to the writing section would now know to join in with RPs.
Indeed, I myself only discovered this forum had RPs(and subsequently a W&F section) because CTFG people were discussing one they were a part of. A subsection would definitely do good to let those interested know and gives those in W&F more front page time for their hard work like Bagman says.

I think I speak for a few when I say that there's a whole lot more RPs being planned out atm that are to come, definitely want to make some room for them.
xninebreaker FAKKU Writer
As a person who has been frequenting the Writing and Fanfiction forum for years, I think the idea to make an RP subforum makes a great deal of sense.

Unlike role-plays, many stories can take a great deal of time to update. Often times writers will opt not to bump their own thread and simply edit their first post. RPs, however, will constantly be bumped for good reason. Posting in RP is functional and provides structure.

The inherent bumping in RPs conflicts directly with the stories that are posted on the Writing and Fanfiction forum. RPs are often at the very top of the forum and as a result fill up the front page, which takes away attention from the stories who already often have low viewership.
What they said.
Misaki_Chi Fakku Nurse
Not sure I would participate, but it sounds like a good idea. A lot of people like to RP or talk about wanting to RP from what I've seen.
Not only would I try participating, but I also think it would be a good Idea making it into a sub-forum.
I would love to participate if I have the time. Finally going to put those rusty Dungeons and Dragons skills back to work. Hahaha!
crazr wrote...
I would love to participate if I have the time. Finally going to put those rusty Dungeons and Dragons skills back to work. Hahaha!

Don't get your hopes up this is most likely so they can have weird cybersex.
Longevity wrote...
crazr wrote...

Lol wot m8? I dun need no sub-forum to hab cybersex. That what facebook is for.

And Crazr, we're still doing RPs even without this. We just figure having it would be convenient for all parties.
『Valentine_K1S5』 wrote...
Longevity wrote...
crazr wrote...

Lol wot m8? I dun need no sub-forum to hab cybersex. That what facebook is for.

And Crazr, we're still doing RPs even without this. We just figure having it would be convenient for all parties.

I know that, I happen to read some of the RPs.
Although I suspect the management is busy with the Fakku Books project, I see no harm in creating a Role-Play Sub-forum.

I am sure I brought the same suggestion up previously: Why not give the sub-section a trial period, if everything works out smoothly, it can become permanent. If things take a turn for the worse, then it has to be removed.

Then again, I am not very IT-savvy, and have no idea how much work is required in creating a new subsection.
Waar FAKKU Moderator
Gambler wrote...
Although I suspect the management is busy with the Fakku Books project, I see no harm in creating a Role-Play Sub-forum.

I am sure I brought the same suggestion up previously: Why not give the sub-section a trial period, if everything works out smoothly, it can become permanent. If things take a turn for the worse, then it has to be removed.

Then again, I am not very IT-savvy, and have no idea how much work is required in creating a new subsection.

Takes two seconds.

Jake's aware of the idea, he just wasn't in favor of it when it was first brought up(months ago). Don't know if any of that has changed in all this time.

edit: wanted to add: as I was last time I am still in favor of the idea.
I'm in favor of this, thoug I'm not a writer myself.
Cinia Pacifica Ojou-sama Writer
Is there any other problem surrounding the creation of such a section, Jacob? Like really, if you have some qualms at least let people search for a solution?

I am unable to comprehend why you don't want to spare a few minutes to create a simple section, I'd love to at least know the reasoning from you yourself; as I just don't understand what you hope to gain from disappointing a whole bunch of people here.
I used to roleplay quite a bit on various other websites back in the day, but I've since lost interest in doing so and I don't exactly have enough free time to participate in an active roleplay.

That being said, I've never thought about reading somebody else's roleplay, but I guess I'd be slightly interested. Regardless, I definitely think a sub-forum should be available for those who do enjoy roleplaying. It can't hurt, after all!
Don't forget to announce it publicly to gain more attention as there is more people who like RPing.
YES TO RP SUBFORUM <3
Pages 12Next