Racism

Pages Prev12345Next
FinalBoss #levelupyourgrind
Forum Image: http://i61.tinypic.com/2hrmr8o.jpg

Racism is alive and strong. Now, I'm not gonna say reverse racism is justifiable, but there shouldn't be any surprise why many minorities do it. We've made a lot of progress over the years, but we have a long way to go. Its funny though, we blacks go out and protest when a white person kills a black, but when a black kills a black, we either have a "no snitching" mentality, or retaliate via revenge. It sickens me...
Fligger wrote...
[quote="Daddy Maxim"]I said I didn't know how to word it (shortly and clearly) in that sentence. Never said I didn't know what it meant. It would seem you don't know how to do it either since it takes you that much space to explain yourself.

Well it takes some place because it is (at least here) an evidence. The same as when you explain what is "liberty", or "information", or "movement", or (worse) "time", etc. Not knowing basic notions is quite inconvenient but it is not impossible to learn them.

The thing is, dignity doesn't mean anything close to what fligger seems to think it does.

Also, what fligger thinks it does mean is retarded. Well, no, it's wilfully ignorant, which is rather worse. People are what they are, they are NOT arbitrarily interchangeable. To beleive that people are interchangeable is actually extremely degrading to human individuality. People aren't even interchangeable in situations unless you define those situations as something arbitrarily broad.

Adults may all have been children once, but I'll never have been a child in Scotland of 1754. My childhood is not interchangeable with anyone else's. Nor is my having had a job at some time nor my loves nor any other such thing. People are in no way interchangeable in actual situations, they've lived what they've lived and have nor could they have lived in anyone elses situation.
Racists suck at least some of the ones I've met. Racism sucks.
That is all I really have to say on my views of racism.

I really do want it to stop but I know that will be impossible.
We can be manipulated my our leaders. We can be lied to for so long we believe it to be true and we don't know we've been lied to in the first place.
We like to assume things about cultures that we do not fully understand. Oh that Iraqi guy was Muslim so they must all be Muslims right?
And our cultures are so different that expecting them to live in harmony is a futile effort because they will have views that are sometimes radically different from one another.
And sometimes even in the same culture people can be radically different.
Assimilation. Sometimes we can change our views simply because everyone else has done so already and you want to fit in or whatever.
FinalBoss wrote...
Racism is alive and strong.

Evidence? Because that picture you posted isn't any form of it. There are racists out there just like there are murderers out there. Does that mean murder is alive and strong too? Is racism the cause of many bad things that happen either in the world at large or in America? Maybe but, lets first get the facts before we jump to conclusions.
Reaperzwei wrote...
FinalBoss wrote...

Evidence? Because that picture you posted isn't any form of it. There are racists out there just like there are murderers out there. Does that mean murder is alive and strong too? Is racism the cause of many bad things that happen either in the world at large or in America? Maybe but, lets first get the facts before we jump to conclusions.

How do you know those people weren't killed due to prejudice?
FinalBoss wrote...
Reaperzwei wrote...
FinalBoss wrote...

That is a stupid question to ask cause you can also ask "how do you know they weren't killed cause some sort of violent action?"

The whole thing that happened in Ferguson recently, btw I work like 4 miles away from the area so was affecting businesses outside their area to, but it was never really a race thing. It was officer felt threaten and took it to far. It was for first few days a police issue and them pushing their power. Then when it came out that officer was white then it became an issue and you had people on radio saying stuff like "if you are a cop you are white regardless of your skin color." That situation got out of hand.
FinalBoss wrote...

And how do you know they were? Do we know all the facts of those situations that we can know without a shadow of doubt one way or the other? Lets say for the sake of argument that they were in fact killed because of prejudice. It's still cherry picking situations that fit your argument.
blinkgirl211 wrote...

That is a stupid question to ask cause you can also ask "how do you know they weren't killed cause some sort of violent action?"

The caucasions that go on a mass murdering spree isn't a violent act then? Your assumptions that its not racist is no different than my assumption that it is.

Reaperzwei wrote...
FinalBoss wrote...

And how do you know they were? Do we know all the facts of those situations that we can know without a shadow of doubt one way or the other? Lets say for the sake of argument that they were in fact killed because of prejudice. It's still cherry picking situations that fit your argument.

You're sure that it isn't racism, and I'm sure that it is racism. We've both made statements that we can't really prove unless we have mind reading abilities. Its all a matter of point of view. Anyways, are you implying they were all just a coincidence? Are you aware that caucasians are more likely to be acquitted when they "stand their ground" than minorities?
FinalBoss wrote...
You're sure that it isn't racism, and I'm sure that it is racism. We've both made statements that we can't really prove unless we have mind reading abilities. Its all a matter of point of view. Anyways, are you implying they were all just a coincidence? Are you aware that caucasians are more likely to be acquitted when they "stand their ground" than minorities?

When did I ever say that I was sure that it wasn't racism? All I've said is that you've presented no evidence that supports your claim that racism is alive and strong, and you still haven't. Could this be the case? of course, but before we go on a witch hunt why don't we get all the facts first. Lets stop assuming things and lets start collecting facts so that we can be sure that racism is indeed still prevalent in the US and needs to be addressed before we act. Because if we act on the assumption that racism is still a big issue when it isn't then we wont get anywhere and will just be causing more issues for no reason because we assumed instead of gathered facts.
Reaperzwei wrote...
FinalBoss wrote...

When did I ever say that I was sure that it wasn't racism? All I've said is that you've presented no evidence that supports your claim that racism is alive and strong, and you still haven't. Could this be the case? of course, but before we go on a witch hunt why don't we get all the facts first. Lets stop assuming things and lets start collecting facts so that we can be sure that racism is indeed still prevalent in the US and needs to be addressed before we act. Because if we act on the assumption that racism is still a big issue when it isn't then we wont get anywhere and will just be causing more issues for no reason because we assumed instead of gathered facts.

Okay, then what would convince you that racism is alive and strong if the picture didn't? Not to mention, I already made a statement that caucasians are more likely to get pardoned for "stand your ground" than minorities. What more evidence do you need in order to be convinced that racism is alive and strong?
FinalBoss wrote...
Reaperzwei wrote...
FinalBoss wrote...

Okay, then what would convince you that racism is alive and strong if the picture didn't? Not to mention, I already made a statement that caucasians are more likely to get pardoned for "stand your ground" than minorities. What more evidence do you need in order to be convinced that racism is alive and strong?

Perhaps if the pic you posted wasn't a collection of black versions of what the following video shows. Seriously, anyone can find cases where criminals were arrested and not killed during so, while innocent people were killed from the entirety of a fucked situation or the cop being a total cock.

dragonsheart967 wrote...

Seriously, anyone can find cases where criminals were arrested and not killed during so, while innocent people were killed from the entirety of a fucked situation or the cop being a total cock.

Of course anyone can. Its called finding a trend. If you want a statistic, you have to take a series of related samples and put them together in order to support your argument. Finding a trend is a valid way to make an argument.
FinalBoss wrote...
dragonsheart967 wrote...

Seriously, anyone can find cases where criminals were arrested and not killed during so, while innocent people were killed from the entirety of a fucked situation or the cop being a total cock.

Of course anyone can. Its called finding a trend. If you want a statistic, you have to take a series of related samples and put them together in order to support your argument. Finding a trend is a valid way to make an argument.

But not when you only look at specific factors(in this case, race), and provide your evidence in what looks like(not saying it is) a bias fashion. Like it showed in the video, these cops fired on unarmed people, and again, as the video showed, it doesn't just happen to blacks. So obviously, the pattern you are showing where people who did not perform a crime were killed doesn't have race being a common denominator here.

If you want to show racism, then you are going to have to show evidence that doesn't rely on showing what you only want to show. The situation is like a feminist claiming that there is a problem with violence against women and provides "evidence"(examples) of women being victims of violence, but leaves out the obvious fact that women are not the only ones being victims of violence in this country.

To prove your point, you would need an actual statistical study that shows the difference in numbers between unarmed, innocent people who are killed by police. Only then we can truly see the scale and scope and not using pictures playing confirmation bias.

And for the record, I do believe racism is still alive today, as it is a thing that can not really kill it, and that it has taken root not int he country as a whole, but in certain institutions, such as the police. And I believe this is because of the fact that the level of crime blacks commit in relation to their percentage of the population, and this would possibly seed a general dislike for blacks which shouldn't happen.

So really, I'm not saying you are wrong or full of shit, just that your evidence is shit, and you need to make a better point.
FinalBoss wrote...

The caucasions that go on a mass murdering spree isn't a violent act then? Your assumptions that its not racist is no different than my assumption that it is.

Guess you didn't understand. Violent act they commit I am talking about is not before they are caught but when. Michael Brown for example has allegations that he hits the officer then tried charging him, not sure if any true, but that is a violent act towards officer directly. James Holmes when found gave up without an even attempted fight or any act towards an officer that they felt threaten. That is just an example.

All I can suggest is try being an officer yourself, and put in a situation with unarmed suspect that makes a sudden move towards you... You don't know what that move is for a gun, or other weapon and more times than not an officer will shot. It is really a tough job cause the human need for self preservation kicks in. We need a shit ton of Robocops to deal with that and the racism in the police force.
blinkgirl211 wrote...
FinalBoss wrote...

Guess you didn't understand. Violent act they commit I am talking about is not before they are caught but when. Michael Brown for example has allegations that he hits the officer then tried charging him, not sure if any true, but that is a violent act towards officer directly. James Holmes when found gave up without an even attempted fight or any act towards an officer that they felt threaten. That is just an example.

All I can suggest is try being an officer yourself, and put in a situation with unarmed suspect that makes a sudden move towards you... You don't know what that move is for a gun, or other weapon and more times than not an officer will shot. It is really a tough job cause the human need for self preservation kicks in. We need a shit ton of Robocops to deal with that and the racism in the police force.

I was being sarcastic. But to the point, what do you think they have night sticks for? If they feel threatened towards a non deadly assault, they have those in handy. Wonder why they didn't use them in those confrontations...
FinalBoss wrote...
Okay, then what would convince you that racism is alive and strong if the picture didn't?

Wait I have to find you evidence for your argument now?

Not to mention, I already made a statement that caucasians are more likely to get pardoned for "stand your ground" than minorities.

And your sure that if this is fact that racism is the only possible reason? If so once again you need evidence. There are many stats out there that are uneven in terms of race are you going to assume racism for every one of them? The world is full of unequal outcomes all over the place for who knows how many different reasons. If you want to prove that a particular unequal outcome is because of racism your going to have to provide evidence of it.

What more evidence do you need in order to be convinced that racism is alive and strong?

I'm going to need actual evidence of which you've provided none so far.
blinkgirl211 wrote...
Michael Brown for example has allegations that he hits the officer then tried charging him, not sure if any true, but that is a violent act towards officer directly.

There were witness accounts that he had his hands up in compliance with the police. He got shot in the back 6 times regardless.

Reaperzwei wrote...
FinalBoss wrote...
Okay, then what would convince you that racism is alive and strong if the picture didn't?

Wait I have to find you evidence for your argument now?

I didn't say you had to find real evidence, I just said what would convince you hypothetically speaking? You're the one who said we have to investigate further as to whether these actions where based on prejudice, but you didn't explain how we go about doing it. Its not like the perpetrators are going to admit they did it because they are racist.

And your sure that if this is fact that racism is the only possible reason? If so once again you need evidence. There are many stats out there that are uneven in terms of race are you going to assume racism for every one of them? The world is full of unequal outcomes all over the place for who knows how many different reasons. If you want to prove that a particular unequal outcome is because of racism your going to have to provide evidence of it.

I didn't say it was the only possible reason, I'm just saying it played a factor in their decisions.
FinalBoss wrote...
I didn't say you had to find real evidence, I just said what would convince you hypothetically speaking? You're the one who said we have to investigate further as to whether these actions where based on prejudice, but you didn't explain how we go about doing it. Its not like the perpetrators are going to admit they did it because they are racist.

I was using we in the context of we as a nation or we as in the human race not we as in you and me.

As for how you go about deciding if the actions taken were based on prejudice or not you would have to conduct a study on the actions police take and why. The why is just as important as the who and what. For example the percentage of blacks in prison is greater than their percentage in the general population. Is this because of racism? The point being is that you can't assume. If you do then your just seeing what you want to see rather than whats actually there, which may in fact be what your assuming but if you don't find out you don't know.

There are plenty of things that are unequal in outcome amongst people of different race, ethnicity, gender and whatever else divides people up into different groups. For example the majority of players in the NFL are black. Are the owners being racist here? On the contrary though how often do you see a black person kick the extra point? Are the owners being racist here? An even larger majority of players in the NBA are black are the owners being racist here? I would put forth that these instances are more about performance than race. That black athletes perform these sports better than white athletes. Is that wrong? Is that being racist? If the opposite is true for something, that in some area whites are better at something in general than blacks are, is that bad? Is that racist?

I didn't say it was the only possible reason, I'm just saying it played a factor in their decisions.

And you know this how exactly? I happened upon this article Which assumes things as well. However one thing they did say that I thought was of importance to the particular statement you made about stand your ground was that no one keeps track of it. Which makes me question where you got the idea in the first place.
As you say, without knowing the reasons behind the police' actions, you can't know for sure whether they are racially bias. Since there aren't any studies being done on this matter, I have no evidence to support my assumptions. It was wrong on my part to use that picture as evidence for racial inequality, but I still believe racism is alive and strong.
It's wrong, it's terrible and it should be punished. If that means humiliation, bans, jail time, whatever, then yep... Racism will always be a problem if it isn't taken seriously.
Pages Prev12345Next