Trolls?

Pages Prev12
I dont really care bout internet trolls. But when someone tries to bully me irl, they get a nasty surprise in the form of sharp steel pressed to their throats. This has been my policy in high school and ever since graduating, and it has been extremely effective. No one likes risking their health/possibly life just to raise their self esteem a bit.

This is the direct result of being bullied severely right up until grade 7-8.
nateriver10 wrote...
If the word «victim» in that sentence contains an emotional charge (i.e. he/she who is suffering unjustly at the hands of others) your point becomes shady in the sense that it makes be obviously wrong. My point is that, in overly-sensitive cases, the «victim» isn't a victim at all.

Think of it as a bad choice of words.

nateriver10 wrote...
I am perfectly aware that bullying is a dangerous subject. But I am also become increasingly aware that our social norms are being pushed to a state in which we won't be able to say anything at all with fear of offending people. It is slashing away at free speech and taking a small, but significant step, towards some sort of Orwellian nightmare. I'm not saying bullied kids should «grow a pair» as a way to fix their problems but I am saying that easily offended people should.

I disagree that our freedom of speech (in regards to self expression) is being jeopardized anymore than it has ever been. If anything, we are allowed to be more liberal with conveying ourselves through speech than ever before, thanks to the anonymity granted to us through the internet. The only people I see having a harder time expressing themselves are those stuck in an older world view, which is not a new occurrence.

I'll grant your the "Orwellian nightmare" in regards to the American government spying net and Guantanamo Bay's "indefinite detention without trial of assumed American terrorist" that could make anyone on the internet opposed US conduct out to be anti-government possible extremist. But off topic...

nateriver10 wrote...
We have been going for a while but it equates to the discussion in the sense that we talking about offense caused in people (some sort of basic, very basic definition of bullying). And I came up (or at least tried) with counter-examples as an attempt to show that sometimes offense can be caused when bullying does not exist. And the teeth example is more or less supposed to be silly. I actually remembered it from a sitcom called Scrubs in which a guy told that to a girl and she, being very obsessive and insecure, became very self-aware and uncomfortable. I know it is a sitcom but trivial things can cause offense. My beef with this issue is when people call others bullies for this.

I understand people can be offended when no offense is intended, but I am skeptical towards the idea that people commonly infer bullying when this is done.

nateriver10 wrote...
You may be a stoic (something I am in some aspects and wish I could be more of in others) but it shouldn't be a meh reaction. At least with regards to the first case for it pertains to a group of women who, feeling bullied by the word «bossy» began raising money in order to censor that word. It is completely insane and I think, a good example as to when those who perceived to be bullied take wrong actions.

I'm hardly stotic, I just see them blowing off steam, or to rephrase, looking for something to focus their anguish on. I don't expect anything out of this other than a bad performance in the eyes of everyone else. And, that to give it attention reinforces such behavior. I don't agree with their conduct or immediate goal, so it ends with that, for me.

Bullying infers someone with out a means and/or will to oppose someone causing them some sort of harm (kind of have to change my definition now). In regards to these women, they are not helpless, they are fighting back, in my opinion "a little directionless", but they are making an attempt to change their situation for the better. They, as in the group, in regards to "true" cases of sexism and discrimination, can and have the will to, minimize (no perfect world) their role as victims. In the end, I feel that their plight falls under a different category of conflict, not quite bullying. I don't think they would refer to themselves as being bullied either, but I'm generalizing anyways, so this doesn't add up to very much.

Feminist is a topic too controversial and too large for me to feel comfortable discussing. I've done some independent studying of, but it's still too much I don't know yet. The only thing I can say with confidence is, that labeling a few, or even one group, as a representation of all feminist is disingenuous... Or maybe just "false" is a better word.

nateriver10 wrote...
The context in which that example occured to me was in conversation with a group of friends, some which I knew quite well, others were friends of friends and others were friends of friends of friends. The one that did go balistic was someone who's face I hardly recognized. I don't think he cared about my opinion, he deeply cared about his. So, a statement regarding historical evidence (something which bores the living hell out of most people in the world) was enough to trigger a harsh response. Couldn't it be the same when clumsy girls fall in gym class? Maybe or maybe not. I dunno. I could also really bully that Christian dude (although I was close enough to get punched as it was), I could have been vitriolic but I wasn't and it was enough to offend him. If this happens, as it does in the bossy case, it seems as though bullying is more clearly definied with intention rather than offense. Granted, some people many be bullies without realizing but I think in that situation, they would easily be called to reason and stop. Unless they were sociopaths which bullies, more or less, are.

Something I try to hold onto whenever I give an opinion, because it was something I did often when I was younger and I don't want to pull that mistake again, is to not hold a difference of opinion as a personal insult. It is something rather common, people interpreting the expression of an opinion, different from their own, as an insult of ones own character. (Take opinions in games and how volatile those conversations become in youtube "reviews".) I haven't viewed this, in myself or others, as bullying. Nor have I seen others feel as if they were being bullied for this. Trolled, yes, but not bullied.

As for the gym girl, think of it this way. She herself doesn't see herself being bullied, but feels the same as someone who is bullied. She is being treated in the same fashion of dismissal of her character/worth through lack of ability.

This is what I mean by bullying behavior, we can name it differently, if you want, it's behavior that causes emotional, and possibly indirect physical, harm for others. Both of which, bullying and the behavior, could be reduced through what I view as "strengthening empathic responses in children (and adults)".
bakapink wrote...
Something I try to hold onto whenever I give an opinion, because it was something I did often when I was younger and I don't want to pull that mistake again, is to not hold a difference of opinion as a personal insult. It is something rather common, people interpreting the expression of an opinion, different from their own, as an insult of ones own character. (Take opinions in games and how volatile those conversations become in youtube "reviews".) I haven't viewed this, in myself or others, as bullying. Nor have I seen others feel as if they were being bullied for this. Trolled, yes, but not bullied.

As for the gym girl, think of it this way. She herself doesn't see herself being bullied, but feels the same as someone who is bullied. She is being treated in the same fashion of dismissal of her character/worth through lack of ability.

This is what I mean by bullying behavior, we can name it differently, if you want, it's behavior that causes emotional, and possibly indirect physical, harm for others. Both of which, bullying and the behavior, could be reduced through what I view as "strengthening empathic responses in children (and adults)".

When it comes to opinion, you make more or less my point. People feel insulted when others have different opinions than theirs. It is yet another example of how we live in a society in which we get offended and defensive about our preferences and, in defending them, we seem to reveal some sort of insecurity.

If the gym girl doesn't see herself as being bullied but feels the exact same as if she was, then, I think the problem is more or less hers. It seems as though that situation is the same as I described above, as it happened in my old gym classes (to recap, someone falls, we laugh, we help out, make sure their okay and laugh again). If the problem is the treatment she gets, which is bullying behavior comitted by non-bullies, then either we stop those reactions (which is bad because they are natural; we can't expect to reason with people in order to make them stop being amused by falls and trips) or we teach those who perceive bullying behavior that they need to, to put it bluntly, grow a pair. If, and only if, the situation is as described.

I don't think there is middle ground here either. I think either the people laugh and mock her hard, in which case I would probably call it bullying, or the people are just having a natural reaction and she isn't taking it well as we all do about certain aspects of ourselves. I don't see how there can be a case in which they are not really bullies but she really is being treated badly.
King Dingaling wrote...
I dont really care bout internet trolls. But when someone tries to bully me irl, they get a nasty surprise in the form of sharp steel pressed to their throats. This has been my policy in high school and ever since graduating, and it has been extremely effective. No one likes risking their health/possibly life just to raise their self esteem a bit.

Some kid got kicked out of my school a few months ago for stabbing a "bully" actually. I wouldn't suggest it.

That said, supposedly both of them were assholes, and the kid getting "bullied" was like a foot taller than the other one. Evidently he had gone to his "bullies" parents and asked them to have their son back off, but it was really more of a threat than a plea.

This gets back to my original point; has the anti-bully fever that's been sweeping health classes been causing this sort of thing? I feel like the bully/victim scenario is becoming less an less common and is simply being replaced with "two people with anger issues disagreeing on something"
Chat wrote...
King Dingaling wrote...

Some kid got kicked out of my school a few months ago for stabbing a "bully" actually. I wouldn't suggest it.

That said, supposedly both of them were assholes, and the kid getting "bullied" was like a foot taller than the other one. Evidently he had gone to his "bullies" parents and asked them to have their son back off, but it was really more of a threat than a plea.

This gets back to my original point; has the anti-bully fever that's been sweeping health classes been causing this sort of thing? I feel like the bully/victim scenario is becoming less an less common and is simply being replaced with "two people with anger issues disagreeing on something"

Nah, in my case it was either you cut them up, or they gang up on you and cut you up. It was pretty standard for 10+ guys to gang up on some unlucky guy (or girl) that usually was only guilty of not being local, or not being able to afford expensive clothes/other crap (and i was a poor ass immigrant), even not listening/watching the music/movies that where popular could make one a target for SEVERE bullying (and how the fuck where i to know those things when i barely spoke English at the time). Basically it was either fit in and fit the mold 100%, or get your ass kicked.

Hence the result. Once the bullying became a health hazard, i said screw this shit and put the assholes in their places.

Of course, i had to change schools several times due to such behavior, but it was better than becoming a punching bag (or if i was female, a cum dumpster) like many others had ended up as.

Thankfully i graduated from high-school years ago, and dont have to put up with that kind of shit anymore.
King Dingaling wrote...
Nah, in my case it was either you cut them up, or they gang up on you and cut you up.

Oh, sorry if I implied that I thought you personally had made a bad decision or that you yourself weren't in a legitimate bullying situation. I just mean nowadays that's likely not a good idea. "In your case" you probably made a good call.
Chat wrote...
King Dingaling wrote...
Nah, in my case it was either you cut them up, or they gang up on you and cut you up.

Oh, sorry if I implied that I thought you personally had made a bad decision or that you yourself weren't in a legitimate bullying situation. I just mean nowadays that's likely not a good idea. "In your case" you probably made a good call.

Lol don't worry bout it, i know you weren't implying anything. I was just sharing a story about my shit schooling experiences :3

Sorry if i confused you
King Dingaling wrote...

Edgy as fuck.
TheSundanceKid wrote...
King Dingaling wrote...

Edgy as fuck.

Not sure if knife pun
Chat wrote...
TheSundanceKid wrote...
King Dingaling wrote...

Edgy as fuck.

Not sure if knife pun

Forum Image: https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpSQ9Me9jiOrfh9VqvmwM4SZr1Fw3CtOKeHLKAmnXEFEH35Ikyag
Revelation Defender of DFC
I'm not going to lie, I'm a huge troll when it comes to my friends and video games. I only do it because in most situations it's funny for all of us but sometimes I do it just to be a dick. I can be really messed up at times.
It would seem we have a downrep troll in our midst. What a coincidence. I'll undo that to the best of my ability :D
Chat wrote...
It would seem we have a downrep troll in our midst. What a coincidence. I'll undo that to the best of my ability :D

I got your comments for you :D
Holoofyoistu The Messenger
I think that people who get labled trolls are just usually looking for attention in one way or another, and if you dont give it to them they will eventually leave. not always, but usually.
Pages Prev12