World of Tanks

For scout tips, you just have to use good judgement. If you're making your way through the open, move side to side, never give them an easy target. Hide when you think you can't get away, and just be mindful of your position and your allies.

And I finally got the KV-2, and since I already maxed the T-150, I have everything but the top gun, tracks, and the turret. Go figure.
Data Zero Valkyrie Forces CO
dragonsheart967 wrote...
For scout tips, you just have to use good judgement. If you're making your way through the open, move side to side, never give them an easy target. Hide when you think you can't get away, and just be mindful of your position and your allies.

And I finally got the KV-2, and since I already maxed the T-150, I have everything but the top gun, tracks, and the turret. Go figure.

heh.

I have all unlocked with my KV-2.

Exept the S-51 arty.

Going towards that and then i will probably sell it and transfer the crew to T-150
When playing as scout, avoid the open ground like the plague (of course, use your better judgement to know when you need to move such as when you get spotted, when your position is beginning to get pushed, when you spot an opportunistic target, or when you see that you're no longer contributing to the fight by spotting etc). Always try to move between bushes and abuse ridgelines.

Learn locations of bushes away from the main flanks where firefights break out, but with a good view of where enemy tanks can be expected to drive across. As such, a camo net and binocs are mandatory (and nice since those two can be demounted and remounted for free). Crew skills are all camo then retrain to sixth, grab anything improving mobility, and keep your camo crew up. A spotted light tank doesn't always have the luxury of an immediate escape route, so at such times you're down to luck and every bit of mobility you can afford.

I'll also throw in a couple bush spots /tactics that work for me in my light tanks. Of course, as always remember to apply your own judgement, ie if there are tons of other light tanks or fast high tier meds (ie t-54's) then don't take certain riskier positions.

Malinovka
Spoiler:

At the beginning from either side I like to rush my light tanks to that center bush near the field. If one sticks under the ridgeline you can afford to rush there safely most of the time without getting spotted by td's who have yet to get to the ridge north of the lake. With the current meta being to apparently rush down south now, I find this tactic works better as most lights and meds like to suicide south now instead. However, if you get caught out here by say an enemy light you'll have no support from your allies.

As for the 3 bush spots above the field, if field is not viable you can still spot td's from both sides across the lake as they fire. The northern hill and field between are prone to suiscouts so watch out for getting spotted there. You'll want to pull back or become td fodder if that happens.

Forum Image: http://puu.sh/6Ekuw.jpg

Prokhorovka
Spoiler:

If you spawn from the north, you're one goal should be to poke over that midridge and spot the tanks leaving the spawn (if you're fast enough and get to the bushes to set up binocs at the start), and just keep making runs popping up to attempt to spot the td's from the west. The image is from an older version of the map, but now there are bushes and rocks littering the mid ridge for you to abuse. From the south however, the second circle to the left of the midridge is now a giant dip, which can be abused more favorably by meds with depression, but can work as a valid spot for lights to poke from as well.

Another note, be wary of the fight on the left side of the tracks near the midridge (now covered in rocks), if it gets overwhelmed then your position in mid will be in trouble as you're in the wide open field, hopefully though spotting them for your useless fucktard camping td's in the back near A,-1.

Forum Image: http://puu.sh/6EkzP.jpg

Arctic Region
Spoiler:

From the north spawn, if you want to play it safe then rush to around C5 and hide in those bushes (there's a forward and rear set of bushes that are both viable, but the forward one is usually safe to get too and provides better spots due to the closer distance). With camo and binocs you'll be able to spot tanks that try to engage from the E3 and cliff at F4/5.

In fast lights, with a bit of risky play from the north you can actually rush down into the field north of the southern hill pass and sit at those bushes in F7. from which you can grab spots on the south before they reach the hill, and once again spot the snipers at F4/5.

From the south spawn however I'm not too experienced. I've had mixed success rushing to B1 and B2 and working the small ridge there, but you have limited shots and effectiveness there depending on how aggressive the enemy is. If they push down the B5 hill to engage in the B3/4 area then you can work wonders, otherwise you'll have no shots. A valid tactic as the game develops is to rush the south field once again north of the hill, but take care as you can be spotted from the td's set up on the north line. Penetrating their flanks through there can be devastating once you get to the E9 area, where you're relatively safe from northern td's and can shoot down on the rears of the enemy tanks at the base of the hill road (unless they've pushed up too far already).

Forum Image: http://puu.sh/6EkGj.jpg

Mines
Spoiler:

A forward note, I personally don't recommend rushing the hill in your lights unless you're a platoon of 3 or only 1 tier down (ie don't waste your time rushing up there in a m5 stuart in a tier 8 match). Fast meds like cromwells and tier 10 russian meds for example will tear you a new one should you go there alone.

In the case that you can successfully get up there and live, if you're from the north, then try to light the td's from the bushes facing the south, then proceed to light and harass the east flank pushing into the town. Attacking from the south, you want to sit in the D5 bushes and try to light the td's sitting at A4/5. Just watch out for getting proximity spotted by the north flank, as they tend to hug the cliff edge when fighting the east for town.

Always be on watch for the hill being overrun though, should you notice it fall you can retreat by driving down the cliff edges to safety.

Should you not be able to make it to the hill, then from north it's advisable to rush into position at the bushes in F3. With binocs you can spot all the arty and td's that like to drive and set up west to the K line. You're very prone to being spotted here though if you fire so resist the urge as it's a wide open area if you get spotted. From the south, if you rush to the bush at G3, you can get spots at anyone from the north poking the bushes on the west island.

Note that both rushes to either bush are able to spot eachother, that is if you catch the other light rushing for the other bush, you're gonna have a firefight in that big open pond.

Forum Image: http://puu.sh/6EmgX.png

And of course, these work for me most of the time, but as the battles unfold there are some general things to keep in mind as a light.

Mid to late game is a dangerous time for you to get spotted if your team is losing. Your main two priorities are spotting enemies and staying alive. The second is harassment after being very careful that you either won't be spotted or that you can get away. These shots of opportunity are far more important no matter how seemingly small the damage output late game where every little bit matters. Also, as much as it hurts, you're going to have to help your team as a light, and rely on them. Try to keep as many enemies lit as possible without being seen, and don't ever be afraid to run.

One last tip, never support your allies from the same area. Always try to watch over them from a different angle or a safe distance, as then the enemy will either turn to engage you (where you can run), or will get wittled down by you, both outcomes are favorable for you.

Feel free to dispute these tactics with me, if it'll help improve my game then I'd love to hear it.
Rovencrone wrote...
When playing as scout, avoid the open ground like the plague (of course, use your better judgement to know when you need to move such as when you get spotted, when your position is beginning to get pushed, when you spot an opportunistic target, or when you see that you're no longer contributing to the fight by spotting etc). Always try to move between bushes and abuse ridgelines.
Spoiler:

Learn locations of bushes away from the main flanks where firefights break out, but with a good view of where enemy tanks can be expected to drive across. As such, a camo net and binocs are mandatory (and nice since those two can be demounted and remounted for free). Crew skills are all camo then retrain to sixth, grab anything improving mobility, and keep your camo crew up. A spotted light tank doesn't always have the luxury of an immediate escape route, so at such times you're down to luck and every bit of mobility you can afford.

I'll also throw in a couple bush spots /tactics that work for me in my light tanks. Of course, as always remember to apply your own judgement, ie if there are tons of other light tanks or fast high tier meds (ie t-54's) then don't take certain riskier positions.

Malinovka
Spoiler:

At the beginning from either side I like to rush my light tanks to that center bush near the field. If one sticks under the ridgeline you can afford to rush there safely most of the time without getting spotted by td's who have yet to get to the ridge north of the lake. With the current meta being to apparently rush down south now, I find this tactic works better as most lights and meds like to suicide south now instead. However, if you get caught out here by say an enemy light you'll have no support from your allies.

As for the 3 bush spots above the field, if field is not viable you can still spot td's from both sides across the lake as they fire. The northern hill and field between are prone to suiscouts so watch out for getting spotted there. You'll want to pull back or become td fodder if that happens.

Forum Image: http://puu.sh/6Ekuw.jpg

Prokhorovka
Spoiler:

If you spawn from the north, you're one goal should be to poke over that midridge and spot the tanks leaving the spawn (if you're fast enough and get to the bushes to set up binocs at the start), and just keep making runs popping up to attempt to spot the td's from the west. The image is from an older version of the map, but now there are bushes and rocks littering the mid ridge for you to abuse. From the south however, the second circle to the left of the midridge is now a giant dip, which can be abused more favorably by meds with depression, but can work as a valid spot for lights to poke from as well.

Another note, be wary of the fight on the left side of the tracks near the midridge (now covered in rocks), if it gets overwhelmed then your position in mid will be in trouble as you're in the wide open field, hopefully though spotting them for your useless fucktard camping td's in the back near A,-1.

Forum Image: http://puu.sh/6EkzP.jpg

Arctic Region
Spoiler:

From the north spawn, if you want to play it safe then rush to around C5 and hide in those bushes (there's a forward and rear set of bushes that are both viable, but the forward one is usually safe to get too and provides better spots due to the closer distance). With camo and binocs you'll be able to spot tanks that try to engage from the E3 and cliff at F4/5.

In fast lights, with a bit of risky play from the north you can actually rush down into the field north of the southern hill pass and sit at those bushes in F7. from which you can grab spots on the south before they reach the hill, and once again spot the snipers at F4/5.

From the south spawn however I'm not too experienced. I've had mixed success rushing to B1 and B2 and working the small ridge there, but you have limited shots and effectiveness there depending on how aggressive the enemy is. If they push down the B5 hill to engage in the B3/4 area then you can work wonders, otherwise you'll have no shots. A valid tactic as the game develops is to rush the south field once again north of the hill, but take care as you can be spotted from the td's set up on the north line. Penetrating their flanks through there can be devastating once you get to the E9 area, where you're relatively safe from northern td's and can shoot down on the rears of the enemy tanks at the base of the hill road (unless they've pushed up too far already).

Forum Image: http://puu.sh/6EkGj.jpg

Mines
Spoiler:

A forward note, I personally don't recommend rushing the hill in your lights unless you're a platoon of 3 or only 1 tier down (ie don't waste your time rushing up there in a m5 stuart in a tier 8 match). Fast meds like cromwells and tier 10 russian meds for example will tear you a new one should you go there alone.

In the case that you can successfully get up there and live, if you're from the north, then try to light the td's from the bushes facing the south, then proceed to light and harass the east flank pushing into the town. Attacking from the south, you want to sit in the D5 bushes and try to light the td's sitting at A4/5. Just watch out for getting proximity spotted by the north flank, as they tend to hug the cliff edge when fighting the east for town.

Always be on watch for the hill being overrun though, should you notice it fall you can retreat by driving down the cliff edges to safety.

Should you not be able to make it to the hill, then from north it's advisable to rush into position at the bushes in F3. With binocs you can spot all the arty and td's that like to drive and set up west to the K line. You're very prone to being spotted here though if you fire so resist the urge as it's a wide open area if you get spotted. From the south, if you rush to the bush at G3, you can get spots at anyone from the north poking the bushes on the west island.

Note that both rushes to either bush are able to spot eachother, that is if you catch the other light rushing for the other bush, you're gonna have a firefight in that big open pond.

Forum Image: http://puu.sh/6EmgX.png

And of course, these work for me most of the time, but as the battles unfold there are some general things to keep in mind as a light.

Mid to late game is a dangerous time for you to get spotted if your team is losing. Your main two priorities are spotting enemies and staying alive. The second is harassment after being very careful that you either won't be spotted or that you can get away. These shots of opportunity are far more important no matter how seemingly small the damage output late game where every little bit matters. Also, as much as it hurts, you're going to have to help your team as a light, and rely on them. Try to keep as many enemies lit as possible without being seen, and don't ever be afraid to run.

One last tip, never support your allies from the same area. Always try to watch over them from a different angle or a safe distance, as then the enemy will either turn to engage you (where you can run), or will get wittled down by you, both outcomes are favorable for you.

Feel free to dispute these tactics with me, if it'll help improve my game then I'd love to hear it.

Dont have any counter arguments.

But what about city maps and sand river?

I get thrown there most of the time.

I dont play Assault because its pointless
Data Zero wrote...

Working on my city play as well, I'll throw in some more later today. Also I only ever play standard so such tactics should be applied accordingly.
Rovencrone wrote...
Data Zero wrote...

Working on my city play as well, I'll throw in some more later today. Also I only ever play standard so such tactics should be applied accordingly.

You should try encounter as well.

Its just one flag but considerably with less bollocks than assault
I kinda envy you guys. The only scout tank I ever played for some time was the Pz 38t Na, and getting placed in high-tier matches with that thing was painful.

That, and the scout role is the most ungrateful one in WoT. While I can understand that one can simply banzai to the enemy camp, spot as many as he can and then get blown up hoping the team will win, a GOOD scout actually stays alive tagging people for arty, or ambushing busy heavies or slow TDs, or going arty hunting.

Also, as far as I understand, going banzai right at the start is useless, because arty is not ready, TDs are not in position and so on (in those maps where this counts).

I would like to get a Type 64 or a T21 and try out this role, but dunno. :(
Speaking of scouts, I just had a match in my ELC on Fjords. Spawned on the east side, so I move to the northern field as fast as I could. I picked a bush just south of the houses along the road, and it must have been a pretty dam good bush, because out of the 8 or so tanks that past me from not even 80 meters away, none of them spot me. My team and the arty started picking them off as the built up around the corner while I had them lit up the entire time. Eventually, a SU-100 pushed up to my position and I ran away. He and an M6 tried chasing me, but I managed to climb a hill and get away. That is possibly the only time I have ever appreciated the camo for that tank.
pihip wrote...
a GOOD scout actually stays alive tagging people for arty, or ambushing busy heavies or slow TDs, or going arty hunting.

Also, as far as I understand, going banzai right at the start is useless, because arty is not ready, TDs are not in position and so on (in those maps where this counts).

You are already better than 90% of the light tank playerbase, congrats.

As far as scout lines go, the american m5 stuart, T21, and T71 are all fantastic machines to let you learn your role. Only from there would I suggest playing the chiense lights, which I heard gets great at the WZ 132.

As for the french lights I dunno, I feel like they're better for that knee biting late game role more so than active scouting as the amx 12t and 13 75 don't seem to be as fast as their other nation's bretheren. They could still easily work though.
Rovencrone wrote...
pihip wrote...
a GOOD scout actually stays alive tagging people for arty, or ambushing busy heavies or slow TDs, or going arty hunting.

You are already better than 90% of the light tank playerbase, congrats.

As far as scout lines go, the american m5 stuart, T21, and T71 are all fantastic machines to let you learn your role. Only from there would I suggest playing the chiense lights, which I heard gets great at the WZ 132.

As for the french lights I dunno, I feel like they're better for that knee biting late game role more so than active scouting as the amx 12t and 13 75 don't seem to be as fast as their other nation's bretheren. They could still easily work though.

The french light tanks from AMX 12t is considered to be Mediums in shape of the light tanks
Well, it seems that playing the mediums wasn't a mistake after all. I bought the Sherman yesterday and today I'm at 8k from the E8, got Ace Tanker and two Top Guns just by fooling around.

Spoiler:
Forum Image: https://i.imgur.com/3cd7U6s.jpg

Forum Image: https://i.imgur.com/g2iJ2fi.jpg
pihip wrote...
Well, it seems that playing the mediums wasn't a mistake after all. I bought the Sherman yesterday and today I'm at 8k from the E8, got Ace Tanker and two Top Guns just by fooling around.

Spoiler:
Forum Image: https://i.imgur.com/3cd7U6s.jpg

Forum Image: https://i.imgur.com/g2iJ2fi.jpg

I have M4 elite and drove both E8 and E2.

I have more battles as bottom tier with E8 than E2

Driving E8 atm.
So does anyone here go on to wotreplays? I did for a couple of plays, and so far, it's working fine.
Sherman Jumbo is too slow afaik, it may have superior armor but can't flank as easily as M4 or E8 - both of which have better speed and mobility and can actually harass even high-tier targets - for the record, today I killed a full health T29 and almost killed a KV-1S just by shooting them in the arse (T29 caught fire so it was even easier, third time it happens that I kill that thing by torching it with a Tier 5 tank).

Speaking of mediums, I asked Roven but I would like a general opinion: I have most of the modules of the German medium line unlocked, up to the Panther II (tracks and turrets and the L/100 gun are all I have to research), so I was thinking "why not". Unfortunately, Teh Forums say Panther is shite because it has to play sniper instead of run'n'troll like most other mediums - apparently the community consensus is 'if it's not fast aggressive it's not good'.
pihip wrote...
Sherman Jumbo is too slow afaik, it may have superior armor but can't flank as easily as M4 or E8 - both of which have better speed and mobility and can actually harass even high-tier targets - for the record, today I killed a full health T29 and almost killed a KV-1S just by shooting them in the arse (T29 caught fire so it was even easier, third time it happens that I kill that thing by torching it with a Tier 5 tank).

Speaking of mediums, I asked Roven but I would like a general opinion: I have most of the modules of the German medium line unlocked, up to the Panther II (tracks and turrets and the L/100 gun are all I have to research), so I was thinking "why not". Unfortunately, Teh Forums say Panther is shite because it has to play sniper instead of run'n'troll like most other mediums - apparently the community consensus is 'if it's not fast aggressive it's not good'.

Plebes hate on the panther.

All you have to do is mix it up differently than usual.

Play it like a td here. Play it like a brawler there. Push like a heavy.
Peekaboo against the T34 and bounce his 400+ alpha on your upper glacius while returning 130+ damage shell like a ubermensch.

It's all subjective depending on your team makeup and enemy's makeup.

In fact, when everyone is tier 9. You're free to hide in a bush far back like a girl. I even pulled off several circle of deaths in Panther. Against tanks with horrible horrible turret traverse xD
pihip wrote...
Spoiler:

I think the issue is the low alpha of L/100. And they like to whine. Or played Russian tanks too long.

Following info of Panther might be outdated.

You have been warned.

Spoiler:
One of the test rounds, i did sit behind a Panther with L/100. One thing that i hated was low alpha. But if you get a support of heavy armor who can keep enemy buzy, the sniping properties of the gun will be enough to deal damage to enemy weakspots. Turret was suprisingly sturdy.

Also, detrack enemy tanks. It gives you extra time to either kill it, run away or for your teammates to support you. With low alpha, you need every second in order to survive and laugh at your enemy.

Equipment side, anything that increases its sniping properties is a good thing.

Also, i was not successful while trying to brawl with it.

But thats my opinion.
Post lost due to FAKKU crapping on me. Oh well.

Anyway, considering what I read, for now I'll wait and get some more experience with the other medium lines, then I'll try the Germans as well.

That said, currently I'm grinding through the new German TD line (Nashorn, Sturer Emil, etc.). I just began so now I'm at the Marder 38t, but it's not bad, though it lacks penetration (the KV tanks can be a problem).

HOWEVER, today's been absolutely terrible, never seen so many monkey teams one after another. Most epic a Churchill III who did nothing for the whole match, then blocked our arty, then fired dunno how many shots to a dead tank, then suicided to avoid getting killed (he was the last one alive).
Got my Tier IX Russian Hvy the ST-I thing is a bounce house if you hide your weakspot on the lower plate...all flat and kinda makes brawling a pain but the top gun is so much better then the BL-9 but side scrapping is the way to play this and you cant go wrong :D
Was reading this article.

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/02/05/patriotism-can-backfire-in-russia/

Then someone in it said russian kids sitting in fascist tanks destroying soviet tanks.

And thus meme was born.

Forum Image: http://i58.tinypic.com/b6vc0n.jpg
Got me the Pz. slf. V, and I must say, the tank is a bitch at stock. The tank itself isn't bad, it just has a naturally slow speed, a tiny gun traverse, the best gun depression you will ever witness, and a stock gun that does about the same damage as the Nashorn. All in all, this tank is more of a downgrade from the Nashorn at the moment, and the fact is all the more painfully obvious when you need a total of 66k xp to get the upgraded gun, 56k for the gun itself, and another 8 for the tracks to fit the thing on.

The tank itself isn't bad, but it's easy for you to get spotted, especially when you have to move in order to track targets because of the crap gun traverse. Other than that, play it as any other sniper, and take advantage of it's gun depressions if you ever have to peak over hills.