Summer Writing Contest 2012!

xninebreaker wrote...
Chronus14 wrote...
Make the feeling of "Summer" mandatory with each work, and not just an option.
It's summer contest, reader should feel the heat.

I don't know how I feel about that. The 'feeling' of summer is pretty subjective. For instance, in my story, I have the characters strive for the summer they wish for, but that's not exactly the same as giving a summer kind of vibe.

well, yeah. that's excusable..
I say make themes and target plot devices, that makes things interesting:

Like, "Must include a dance scene" or "Must include the following items: rubber ducky, gazpacho, corn dog, and olive branch"

It would be hellishly difficult, but it would be interesting.
I already know what i'm doing for the next contest unless it requires writing about animals.
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
CoffeePrince wrote...

Like, "Must include a dance scene" or "Must include the following items: rubber ducky, gazpacho, corn dog, and olive branch"

Similar idea to yours, except that those competing in the competition are given a choice of what to include in the competition. e.g.:

Must include one or more of the following items / themes:
Depressing story
Violence
Rape
Murder
Bunnies
I wonder if that's really a good idea.
leonard267 wrote...
CoffeePrince wrote...

Similar idea to yours, except that those competing in the competition are given a choice of what to include in the competition. e.g.:

Depressing story
Violence
Rape
Murder
Bunnies

But isn't that rather like the contest this year? You had to include something either summery, beachy or of that sort. Of course, it could be required more harshly, I guess.
tenshinhan wrote...
leonard267 wrote...
CoffeePrince wrote...

Depressing story
Violence
Rape
Murder
Bunnies

But isn't that rather like the contest this year? You had to include something either summery, beachy or of that sort.

Rules here says Summer theme, we didn't specifically said that you'd need to include an event involving a beach.
Cinia Pacifica wrote...
tenshinhan wrote...
leonard267 wrote...
CoffeePrince wrote...

Depressing story
Violence
Rape
Murder
Bunnies

But isn't that rather like the contest this year? You had to include something either summery, beachy or of that sort.

Rules here says Summer theme, we didn't specifically said that you'd need to include an event involving a beach.

Ah, that is true. For some reason I was sure it had to be loosely connected to a beach. But the point remain, there were specific guidelines the authors were encouraged to follow, much like Leonard267 suggested.

But I agree that it should be required to more closely follow the theme.
Mangaman90 wrote...
who are the winners?

Xenon is at the top of my book currently. So is Jericho, but he's out :p

What do you think?
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
CoffeePrince wrote...
Mangaman90 wrote...
who are the winners?

Xenon is at the top of my book currently. So is Jericho, but he's out :p

What do you think?

I have heard Jericho is in. Xenon is quoted to be one of the favourites to win as well. And the third will surprise everyone. One of the judges was captivated (i.e. had his mind blown) when he read that entry submitted by that particular user. I anticipate the results of this contest.
CoffeePrince wrote...
Mangaman90 wrote...
who are the winners?

So is Jericho, but he's out :p

He is still a participant of this contest, lol.
Cinia, is it possible to know something about the judging of one's work, even if it did not win?
tenshinhan wrote...
Cinia, is it possible to know something about the judging of one's work, even if it did not win?

Yes. We (more like I) can always grade your work if we haven't and review it if you ask for it.
Cinia Pacifica wrote...

Yes. We (more like I) can always grade your work if we haven't and review it if you ask for it.

Could i ask of you to grade my story?
On all pages i've sumbited my work, i've never gotten feedback, would love to hear some feedback on my writing for once if is possible :P

If you could, my story Conenction is here, although I feel a bit mean pushing this onto you.

If you put of time, i'd like to thank you a lot, and if not, it doesn't bother me, so don't worry about it.

-Sincerely, Walkerz
Walkerz wrote...
Cinia Pacifica wrote...

Could i ask of you to grade my story?
On all pages i've sumbited my work, i've never gotten feedback, would love to hear some feedback on my writing for once if is possible :P

If you could, my story Conenction is here, although I feel a bit mean pushing this onto you.

If you put of time, i'd like to thank you a lot, and if not, it doesn't bother me, so don't worry about it.

-Sincerely, Walkerz

There's a review thread or two where you could've asked. Commenting on someone else's work also usually nets a reply/comment on your own. I tend to repay back most or all comments that appear on mines, that's for sure.
^ That. If you want reviews, then review other people.
Ironically, I haven't had any new reviews since I updated my work, despite reviewing a ton of works. Also, I've yet to post new reviews, even though I've read the works that need reviews. I'll get on that in a bit. Procrastination is a bitch...
This is aimed to NOT reviewers:

I noticed something- something unpleasant. As a writing contest, it gives all of us a chance to flex the grey matter between our ears. Sure, it's a writing contest, but this is also a forum. Do you all know what a forum means? It historically means a place where people exchange ideas.

What the majority of the 50+? people who submitted stories to this contest did was devolve the entire process into a giant circle jerk. While some of us (Blaze, I, a few others, and all the contest judges) have tried to review as much as we could, where are all of you standing? This has turned into a giant session of who has the best masturbation technique.

Do we HAVE to review your work? No.
Does Cinia, tsuyoshiro, and Waar HAVE to review your work? Not really.

So why is it a given that we do so? Even when people have reviewed your work, it's as if you think, since YOU made it, YOU deserve it. The only reason why you would deserve it is if you reviewed other people.

I apologize if I'm being a little hostile, but if anything, be happy someone reviewed it. When I started by review chain (I think I'm at 25 of them now), I only did it for one reason. I tried to start something so that people would think: "I know, I'll join this guy so we all finally know what we think about each other's" (like the real definition of a forum) rather than "REVIEW ME. REVIEW ME."

Cinia told me some people to review and I did it simply because he-she-it cannot as a judge. At the end of all of this, I know exactly what's going to happen- everyone's going to try to ask who is the winner- and if it's not them, they'll beg the judges for an answer when, of fucking course, their own work is clearly the best right? Come on people.

- End Rant

(Blaze, I had the same feelings about your work since it was really close to mine, but I digress...)
CoffeePrince wrote...
This is aimed to NOT reviewers:

I noticed something- something unpleasant. As a writing contest, it gives all of us a chance to flex the grey matter between our ears. Sure, it's a writing contest, but this is also a forum. Do you all know what a forum means? It historically means a place where people exchange ideas.

What the majority of the 50+? people who submitted stories to this contest did was devolve the entire process into a giant circle jerk. While some of us (Blaze, I, a few others, and all the contest judges) have tried to review as much as we could, where are all of you standing? This has turned into a giant session of who has the best masturbation technique.

Do we HAVE to review your work? No.
Does Cinia, tsuyoshiro, and Waar HAVE to review your work? Not really.

So why is it a given that we do so? Even when people have reviewed your work, it's as if you think, since YOU made it, YOU deserve it. The only reason why you would deserve it is if you reviewed other people.

I apologize if I'm being a little hostile, but if anything, be happy someone reviewed it. When I started by review chain (I think I'm at 25 of them now), I only did it for one reason. I tried to start something so that people would think: "I know, I'll join this guy so we all finally know what we think about each other's" (like the real definition of a forum) rather than "REVIEW ME. REVIEW ME."

Cinia told me some people to review and I did it simply because he-she-it cannot as a judge. At the end of all of this, I know exactly what's going to happen- everyone's going to try to ask who is the winner- and if it's not them, they'll beg the judges for an answer when, of fucking course, their own work is clearly the best right? Come on people.

- End Rant

(Blaze, I had the same feelings about your work since it was really close to mine, but I digress...)

Haha just when I was bemoaning how boorish I've been in this particular department. I need to use my free time better. I guess starting nao.