[Winter Contest Entry 2021] Klaus and the Reindeer

Yanker I read hentai for plot
It's been a struggle lately to write anything longer than a thousand words.

So here's my 1200 word story.

Spoiler:

In a magical wood now lost, when the trees were young and man still feared the dark, there lived a spirit. In those days, the spirits of nature roamed freely and meddled in the affairs of mortals, much unlike today. He was a wish-granting spirit, a djinn as the people called his brothers in the desert, and his name was Klaus.

Klaus was young, born on the first snowfall of winter, and he was free. The other spirits clung to each other and their fae courts and solstices, but Klaus loved the unknown, the wider world outside. Many a time travelers would catch glimpse of a boy in the woods, flitting through the trees and making birdsong noises, and they might wake to find themselves refreshed and their flasks refilled with packets of biscuits in places there previously hadn’t been. Klaus enjoyed the look of wonder and joy that would cross a man’s face when he received such a present in a cold, unfriendly place so far from home. He enjoyed granting wishes.

Word soon spread of the kind and benevolent spirit of the magical wood who would bless travelers with tea and biscuits and a safe journey, and Klaus’s wood quickly became a most popular destination. In the summertime he slept, for travelers did not have much need for guidance when the days were longer and the snow absent, and in winter he would emerge to bring smiles to the faces of those braving his wood. The people made coloured lanterns and lit them at night, and weaved wreaths from the trees to show their appreciation to the forest. Sometimes Klaus was joined by others, lesser djinni who would light fires on cold days and rain sweet candy from the skies, but the greater gifts were always given by Klaus himself; the repair of a wagon wheel or a clear sky of stars to navigate by, or a sprig of mistletoe to bring shy lovers together.

One foggy winter’s eve, a reindeer stumbled into Klaus’s wood. He was a young reindeer, slightly touched by magic but still mortal, and he had magnificent antlers that would make the greatest stag envious. Woven into those antlers were strings and strings of golden bells, such that each step the reindeer took the bells rang clear and sublime through the night. The reindeer staggered through the bushes on uneven legs, shaking his horns this way and that to free himself of the jingling, but to no avail. Klaus watched in puzzlement before the creature finally stopped by a creek to drink.

“Friend,” Klaus called out. “Why do you run so? Take a rest; I will make sure you reach your destination on time.”

The reindeer scoffed. “My lord, I wish it were that simple. I have a goal but no destination; each breath I spend waiting is a breath closer to my demise. Even now I hear them, their arrowheads lusting for my blood. They hunt me, and eventually they will catch me.”

Until now, Klaus had only ever encountered travelers and merchants and other common folk. The men in his forest hunted to feed themselves, to survive, but never for leisure. It was not a concept Klaus could understand.

“They blessed me with a witch’s magic,” the reindeer continued. “Or cursed, rather. Cursed me with speed and grace and strength to continue, to run for days and nights on end. All so they could chase me with their hounds and horses, and take my head back to their king.”

“What of the bells?” said Klaus. “Why would they give you such pretty bells only to kill you?”

“Because the sound of my staggered breathing is not music enough to their ears. They are evil, my lord. I am surprised you have never come across them.” The deer raised its head. “I hear them now. They will be here before long.”

And Klaus too heard them coming, the panting of hounds enraptured by the hunt, the galloping of hooves, the jovial exchanges of fat men in chains of gold. He smelled their excitement, and it sickened him that they could feel such joy at the misery of another.

“Are you sure they are men?” Klaus asked. “I have not met a man so vile in my time here.”

“You must be young then,” the reindeer replied. “There are many kinds of men, as there are spirits. There are nice men, kind men, angry and sad and evil men. The ones behind me hunted my brothers and sisters and killed them, and left me for last, because I was the fastest. Dasher and Dancer and Prancer and Vixen, Comet and Cupid and Donner and Blitzen—all gone, turned into the foul coats they now wear.” The deer stamped a hoof. “If I could, I’d kill them all.” He settled to his knees and sighed. “Alas, I am tired so I think I will sleep.”

The reindeer’s greatest wish was to live. So moved was Klaus to grant it that he summoned a great blade of ice from the snow, white and curved like the crescent moon, and stood firm beside the creature.

“Rise, friend. I will grant your wish.”

And as the hunters came into the clearing, the hounds barking and snapping and straining against their leashes, the lips of the fat nobles widening in glee, the reindeer suddenly felt strength enter his limbs.

“You cannot run from them forever,” Klaus said. “Let us fight. They cannot win on my land.”

The hunters, of course, could not understand the conversation between the spirit and the enchanted deer. Their leader spoke a few words, and then drew his bow and fired.

The ensuing massacre lasted under a minute. Magic was strong then, and men were weak. Their blood stained Klaus’s coat red, and caused deep rivulets to run down his sword like stripes. The reindeer too had fought, slashing and stabbing the hounds and their masters such that his nose glowed red like a jewel; and once the horses realized the men were dead, they fled their separate ways.

“You’ve freed me,” the reindeer panted, at the end of their battle. “My life is yours.”

Klaus looked at his sword and grimaced. The blood had frozen along its length and he did not know how to clean it.

“You say there are men outside of this forest who are evil? Ones who would wish harm upon innocents?”

“For each good man there is at least another who is not. After tonight, there will be a fair few who would wish us dead.”

“Wish us dead,” Klaus repeated.

Djinn by nature care little for the ethics of their granted wishes; but Klaus was no ordinary djinn, and he did not want to grant wishes to evil people.

“What is your name, friend?” he asked.

The deer tipped his head, and the bells jingled. “Rudolf, sir.” Blood gleamed atop his nose, scarlet and shining.

“Let us ride, then. We will leave this forest and grant wishes to the nice men of this world. And to the not-so-nice… we bring justice.”

For a story so short, that was incredibly gripping. I was on the edge trying to see where you were going with this on the first half, but the introduction of Rudolf worked out very well. I'm impressed all-around. Good work! Rip all the other reindeer tho

By the way, I had to reflect on this line so many times:
Many a time travelers would catch glimpse of a boy in the woods

Thinking about how timer travelers would fit into the story before I realized I was just being a fool lol.
Xenon FAKKU Writer
This is a great reinterpretation of the mythology behind the Christmas holiday. I very much appreciated your style and reading along, although touching on a violent subject, was reminiscent of old fables. I felt like I was reading something like Pinocchio or Cinderella, but rated M for mature. I think my favorite aspect was the inclusion of Pagan-style fae and imagining Klaus as a sprite, or djinn. Or perhaps a satyr like Krampus would also exist in this setting. Additionally, it was very natural to imagine Klaus' blood-stained red robes and a sword decorated and realized as a primal form of the candy cane. It makes for a fun connection trying to spot where things might supposedly influence the future.

I was happy to see a strong absence of errors of any kind, which my attention is almost always halted by, so kudos to you there.

My only critique lies on this line, which I see happened to confuse xnine as well:

Yanker wrote...
Many a time travelers would catch glimpse of a boy in the woods, flitting through the trees and making birdsong noises, and they might wake to find themselves refreshed and their flasks refilled with packets of biscuits in places there previously hadn’t been.

I actually thought it was time travelers and didn't think much of it as I continued on with the story. My mind tends to be open beginning a story, so I felt that if you wanted to include a sci-fi element and bring time travelers here, it was odd, but I wanted to see where you were going with it. Of course, this wasn't the case and probably can be solved with some punctuation, perhaps a comma or em dash to separate "time" and "travelers." However, my confusion continues with the sentence: "flasks refilled with packets of biscuits." Following the logic of the previous perceieved flaw, I imagine this is an err of separation. Clearly you mean refilled flasks, and packets of biscuits too. However, my mind interpretted it as if the flasks were somehow filled with store-bought biscuit mix packets inside them. Of course, this is ridiculous imagery, and all sourced in this single sentence. Strange misinterpretations of your intent, and both can fortunately be quickly solved with some well-placed punctuation.

All-in-all, a great entry this year, Yanker. I'm very pleased that you could join us and although writing seems to have proven difficult for you lately, I appreciate that you could summon the effort to bring us a nice present regardless.

Happy New Year!
Pretty short and enjoyable. Lots of good description.

The only critique I have is Santa turns from an innocent spirit that loves helping to people to being willing to slaughter a bunch of people real fast.

Other than that, nice story.
Yanker I read hentai for plot
Thanks for the comments everyone, glad you enjoyed it and I'm kinda sad I couldn't manage to beef it up into something a bit longer.

Xenon, your observations are spot on, I basically tried to load as much Christmas-origin stuff as I could from the small djinn raining candy (Santa's elves) to Rudolfs shining red nose, the red robes, the sword being a candy cane, etc etc, Rudolf's bells being the origin of Jingle Bells, the biscuits/milk being the snack you leave out for Santa and also the wreaths/Christmas lights hung on doors.

I also understand what you and xninebreaker mean regarding the time travel line. Most readers quickly build a sense of tone and setting from opening paragraphs, but luckily it's an easy fix.

Until next year, then!