Getting rid of a desktop

I've had my desktop pc for about 6 years now, needless to say it's slow as fuck. On a bad day it will take ten minutes to open google chrome. I need to buy a new pc and so I need to get rid of my current one.
So I was wondering what do people do with their old pcs nowadays? Can you sell it for parts? Put it in trash? Abandon it somewhere? Also, if I were to sell how much should I expect?
Here's more info on the desktop
Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://a.pomf.se/hfzsmm.png

Would be great if anyone could help me with this. Thanks!
I honestly wouldn't use my time to try and sell it, no one with pc knowledge would buy that unless it's for some really specific use. You can always use it as a server though, and make sure you remove the hard drive if you throw it away :)
Taz_9000 Cafe Regular
R. wrote...
I've had my desktop pc for about 6 years now, needless to say it's slow as fuck. On a bad day it will take ten minutes to open google chrome. I need to buy a new pc and so I need to get rid of my current one.
So I was wondering what do people do with their old pcs nowadays? Can you sell it for parts? Put it in trash? Abandon it somewhere? Also, if I were to sell how much should I expect?
Here's more info on the desktop
Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://a.pomf.se/hfzsmm.png

Would be great if anyone could help me with this. Thanks!

being that old, you should bin it.

Have thought of simple upgrading your RAM to 4GB, chrome is RAM hungry and just by adding 2GB RAM might speed your PC up
Data Zero Valkyrie Forces CO
Turn it into web surfing machine. Install Ubuntu.

Or you can give it to charity.
Minmeng wrote...
I honestly wouldn't use my time to try and sell it, no one with pc knowledge would buy that unless it's for some really specific use. You can always use it as a server though, and make sure you remove the hard drive if you throw it away :)

How would I do that? I've never done this kind of thing so I'm a big noob.
Thank you everyone for helping me out.
Data Zero Valkyrie Forces CO
R. wrote...
Minmeng wrote...

How would I do that? I've never done this kind of thing so I'm a big noob.
Thank you everyone for helping me out.

A video for you.

animefreak_usa Child of Samael
I had a old rig that i use just for seeding purposes but then it died. The other one i use as a media server for my tv. Depending on what it has since pomf is down. Use the hdd as a back up disk/loli box so you can destroy when the popo comes. Old ram is useful for collectors and people need old tech. Recycle the rest. Some scrap metal places pay good for the rare metals inside the motherborads and leds. Gold. Copper. I think there some platinum. Three old crt and a lcd monitor with a old computer made me 200$ bucks. HDD can be destroyed with a drill or clean wipe plus 40 free data passes or a High ass electromagnet.
animefreak_usa wrote...
Use the hdd as a back up disk/loli box so you can destroy when the popo comes.

I'm not that kind of freak. Thanks though !
I've lived most my life around computers since my *Asshole douchebag fuck nugget cough cough* father has his first degrees in Computer Science and Computer Engineering while my mother has worked in the computer industry and currently deals with Anesthesia doctors (Not as badass as I hoped it would be and the place makes the DMV look like Chuck-E-Cheese), so we have always owned LOTS of computers and have this problem time and time again. The best bet really is just save them or take out the hard drive and donate them or try and sell them to a computer supply store (Like the gas station ones or the small shops used for repairs). Honestly though, you're better off just throwing it away or trying to scavenge what you can (Fans mostly) and selling them online for people who need cheap parts or are building their own tower and want fans (Fans are really useful). Just youtube it, take out the fan, hard drive, and whatever else you want, then as for the shell, scrap it and save the monitor. (You'd be surprised how many people I've known scrap a perfectly fine monitor). If anything, perhaps even try and build your own tower (They're not at all hard to make and really simple and cheap), add the fans that work and the Hard Drive if you want (Just load everything into an External and do what they did in Ted 2 as far as scrapping it goes) and perhaps use the shell if you want too. That's my two sense really.
Bunny5390 The Defenestrator!
I believe you're not supposed to throw it in the regular garbage though, because of the toxic heavy metals. You'll probably need to take it to a dangerous waste collection point, like batteries.

There's a business supplies chain here that usually has drop-off points. You could also try asking at a local computer parts or electronics store. Or better yet, your municipality will usually have information on where to take things.
george4 wrote...
I believe you're not supposed to throw it in the regular garbage though, because of the toxic heavy metals. You'll probably need to take it to a dangerous waste collection point, like batteries.

There's a business supplies chain here that usually has drop-off points. You could also try asking at a local computer parts or electronics store. Or better yet, your municipality will usually have information on where to take things.

This. Most computer shops will know a good recycler in town and do it for free or just google for it and call around. Just make sure to pop your drive out, though any self respecting computer shop will do it for you or atleast make mention of it.
If you want to attempt making it usable I would recommend installing Debian or Ubuntu, two easy distros of linux for use as a server, and just use the thing as a torrent seedbox or file conversion workhorse or whatever. I know people that run IRC servers on a Pentium I with <100MB ram; it's more than possible to use that machine for something useful. If you don't want to learn terminals, I would recommend getting a KVM switch as it will allow you to push a button to switch your monitor/keyboard/mouse between computers.