Peria Chronicles

Peria Chronicles

Genres: MMO, RPG, Action, Sandbox
System: PC
Publisher: Nexon
Developer: Thingsoft
Official Site: http://peria.nexon.com/

Peria Chronicles is an anime-inspired action MMORPG with sandbox elements. Now, normally I back away from anything with Nexon's name attached it at a brisk pace, but this really caught my eye.

The animation in this game is what took me at first, cloth and hair flow beautifully alongside combat and effects are vibrant and colourful. The combat system itself doesn't seem revolutionary, I assume it's much the same as any other action MMORPG out there but with some pokemon inspired elements. Unlike those other games, however, Peria does something a bit different as far as environment and social interaction goes. It's also somewhat of a sandbox, a world where player created environments and content are a major focus, where every object in player environments can have relations and triggers (with writeable and editable code!) built around it to create complex, functioning works of art.

I really want to be hyped for this game, but... Nexon owns Thingsoft, and is a company well known for sleezy marketing strategies and undelivered promises. I'm keeping my levels on the low side for now.

What do you guys think? Although I don't have a strong taste for Nexon, I am regularly invited to alpha and beta test the games they publish, so I could try to get some extra keys for members on the forum when it comes time for the international version if there's enough interest.
This might actually be the first f2p mmo that resembles modern anime. Impressive art style. Reminds me of Tales of.
623 FAKKU QA
Looks pretty cool. I might actually be interested in a beta key, though, I'm not sure if my computer would be up to spec since it's kiiiinda old.
rellfromny [Fakkuza] Boss
looks pretty good
idmb22 Input Gold Rank Here
I have mixed feelings...

In terms of visuals, I find it appealing.

In terms of mechanics, some of those seemed clunky (but it is still in development, right?).

In terms of customizaion seems it has a lot of stuff, which I do not really care, but it is ok.

In terms of contents it is not clear what you can expect, except those "player generated content"? Is that all?

In terms of Lore, I have no clue what is going on there...

In general, I would love to try it out and get a feeling of it, but I fear it may very well end up being another "Freemium" MMO in which you just dump money so you can actually play the game.
Yeah I'll bite for a beta key, it would be cool to work on a project with the people on F!
FinalBoss #levelupyourgrind
I'm kinda interested, but mmos make me nervous cause I haven't had a lot of good experiences with em.
It reminds me a lot of another Nexon mmo, Mabinogi.

There wasn't enough in that trailer to tell me if I would be interested. Nothing that told me what combat would be like, or what play styles there would be for combat. The world building mechanics seem to be their focus, and those look a little rough at the moment.

I've played a number of mmos, and the ones that nailed their mechanics the best were World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, and Guild Wars 2. Every other mmo I have played had some very noticeable issues with it.
KoopaH wrote...
It reminds me a lot of another Nexon mmo, Mabinogi.

There wasn't enough in that trailer to tell me if I would be interested. Nothing that told me what combat would be like, or what play styles there would be for combat. The world building mechanics seem to be their focus, and those look a little rough at the moment.

I've played a number of mmos, and the ones that nailed their mechanics the best were World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, and Guild Wars 2. Every other mmo I have played had some very noticeable issues with it.

While that's true, the developers of World of Warcraft, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 didn't try to innovate in any way, they simply took already successful formulas and improved upon them. No game has been noted for refined mechanics when it's tried to innovate heavily. One might say it's foolish to even attempt innovation, it's a huge risk for any developer. But one needs to remember, if it weren't for titles that tried to break the mould, we wouldn't have games like World of Warcraft—Meridian 59 is a perfect example of this, the precursor to all 3D MMORPGs.

At the end of the day as a consumer it depends on whether you prefer being on the cutting edge or sticking with the tried and proven. I ascribe to the former so I'm perfectly okay dealing with unpolished mechanics, as long as they're new and interesting.
William wrote...

While that's true, the developers of World of Warcraft, Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 didn't try to innovate in any way, they simply took already successful formulas and improved upon them. No game has been noted for refined mechanics when it's tried to innovate heavily. One might say it's foolish to even attempt innovation, it's a huge risk for any developer. But one needs to remember, if it weren't for titles that tried to break the mould, we wouldn't have games like World of Warcraft—Meridian 59 is a perfect example of this, the precursor to all 3D MMORPGs.

At the end of the day as a consumer it depends on whether you prefer being on the cutting edge or sticking with the tried and proven. I ascribe to the former so I'm perfectly okay dealing with unpolished mechanics, as long as they're new and interesting.

It is true that games that attempt to innovate typically aren't very refined. I have played plenty of games that are not refined because they innovate and they are great because of the innovations. But sometimes mmos that are not refined are just not fun to play. I'm not saying that is always the case, just that it does happen.
Getting serious Mabinogi 2.0 vibes from this trailer, which is a good thing of course. No other MMO has been able to keep me going back for more than a year, much less 7 years. Here's to hoping that the combat will be at least somewhat like Mabinogi, not the generic WoW style combat where you fight like a tank.