My laptop "factory-reset" itself!

idmb22 Input Gold Rank Here
Hi there!

The title is almost accurate.

This morning I woke up and fired off my laptop as everyday. However, instead of greeting me with the windows 7 log in window, it was a "factory reset option window", literally, out of the blue.

I powered off the laptop and fired it again. This time was the "system could not start normally, try start it securely or start normally", I chose "start normally". However, I got a blue screen of death (thanks Microsoft) saying something about a hardware issue (wtf?!) and the laptop reset itself.

After that, the screen was giving me 1 option: "Select number of partitions for your factoty reset"... I chose "2 partitions" since my previous configuration had the same HDD divided on 2 partitions.

And... all my information is gone. Now the laptop seems to work ok, no problems so far, everything seems fine... dunno... but yeah... no folders / information.

I have a back up a few months old... I was planning on doing a new one on Christmas, but nope. I will do one either way...

Anyway... Right now I am searching for software able to "recover/show deleted/formatted files". I found a few (Recuva, Undelete360, EaseUS Data Recovery, Wise Data Recovery, and Free Any Data Recovery) and I have been scanning my laptop all day long with kind of dissappointing results... not sure what I expected anyway.

I have managed to recover some photos and documents, but I would guess what I recovered so far is about 2% (not joking) of all the information I got... and after spending the whole doing this, I feel I am kind of on a dead end.

So, does anyone know of any good software? Or shall I look for professional assistance? I do not mind paying for a good job, but well... I have to admit exposing my nasty and dirty, dirty, hentai might be the best idea ever.

Any advice on this regard? Thanks a lot to anyone that answers.
I think it's safe to say that all your files are gone. When you created the 2 new partitions most of your files got overwritten and therefore lost.
Anyway, i found a couple of forums where people experienced your same problem. Here and here. Take a look, maybe you can recover something.

I'm sorry i can't be of more help.
If programs like Recuva aren't picking up files you may need to resort to professional data recovery. Be warned it is extremely expensive.
idmb22 Input Gold Rank Here
Hi all!

Thanks for the posts. Here is what happened at the end.

Fortunately for me, I was not using the Recuva software right (first time using recovery software whatever). Basically, I did not know of the "Deep Scan" option. I used it and the files came back. However, the way Recuva restores files was very annoying, i.e. the naming convention is not meaningful at all.

So I went back to other softwares I tried, specifically, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 9.0, and did another deep scan. On top of doing the same good job as Recuva, this one shows folder structure, directories and menaingful names, making my life on finding and selecting the data I wanted to recover much easier.

The only downside of EasuUS Data Recovery Wizard 9.0 is that it asks you to purchase a License if you want to recover more than 1 GB of data. Nevertheless, after considering spending loads of time browsing files with the Recuva Recovery or spending even more money on professional recovery services... I paid it.

Disclaimer: This is not a damm advert topic about EaseUS, just want to let other knows of the software, despite not being free past 1 GB of data, that it actually helps and is a legit solution in case you got money, but not time to filter millions (no joke) of files. It is worth paying since the License you get is "lifetime". However, if you do not want to pay, use Recuva which is equally good and free.
idmb22 wrote...
Hi all!

Thanks for the posts. Here is what happened at the end.

Fortunately for me, I was not using the Recuva software right (first time using recovery software whatever). Basically, I did not know of the "Deep Scan" option. I used it and the files came back. However, the way Recuva restores files was very annoying, i.e. the naming convention is not meaningful at all.

So I went back to other softwares I tried, specifically, EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard 9.0, and did another deep scan. On top of doing the same good job as Recuva, this one shows folder structure, directories and menaingful names, making my life on finding and selecting the data I wanted to recover much easier.

The only downside of EasuUS Data Recovery Wizard 9.0 is that it asks you to purchase a License if you want to recover more than 1 GB of data. Nevertheless, after considering spending loads of time browsing files with the Recuva Recovery or spending even more money on professional recovery services... I paid it.

Disclaimer: This is not a damm advert topic about EaseUS, just want to let other knows of the software, despite not being free past 1 GB of data, that it actually helps and is a legit solution in case you got money, but not time to filter millions (no joke) of files. It is worth paying since the License you get is "lifetime". However, if you do not want to pay, use Recuva which is equally good and free.

luckily you recovered the data within 7 days,
the longer you wait, the more files are damaged/lost