[Locked] FAKKU State of the Union 2016

luinthoron wrote...
UraharaChan wrote...
[5. apart from subs,] you still need to pay for books, books which you will not own

This is simply not true. Especially obvious in case of physical books, but the digital releases of books are also yours forever, and come with various DRM-free options for downloading.

my mistake then - although it opens a way for piracy yet again...
A bold move, Jacob. I wonder what the future holds for Fakku?
luinthoron High Priest of Loli
UraharaChan wrote...
luinthoron wrote...
UraharaChan wrote...
[5. apart from subs,] you still need to pay for books, books which you will not own

This is simply not true. Especially obvious in case of physical books, but the digital releases of books are also yours forever, and come with various DRM-free options for downloading.

my mistake then - although it opens a way for piracy yet again...

That much is true. However:

Jacob wrote...
I have no problem with people pirating our books, especially people who can't afford the books in the first place. And I do not believe that piracy hurts sales, in fact it probably improves sales in the long-term. But I think we are making a product worth spending money on[...]
I understand that recurring payments / subscriptions are not working with paypal.
On other premium web services there is often the option to prepay the subscription for a larger time slice like a year or a half. Credit cards are not the norm for all over the world so please consider other painless options like paypal.
I support the decision fully,
but sadly i'm not going to subscribe for the content there's now,
and i probably never will.

it has been great ever since i came here for 2 years ago.
Goodbye FAKKU.
Everyone is losing their minds over this. I get that 12.95 might be a bit much but honestly we are getting uncensored, premium hentai!!! That directly supports the creators! If Jacob was able to get Bosshi to make a skateboard design with the illegal scanlations, imagine what he (and the rest of the fakku team) will be able to do now that we are fully legit. I've been a sub since day one and have no plans to change. Here's to a great 2016!!! And an ever growing hentai library :D
I've been using fakku for several years now and I really like the new direction the website is taking. It's the same with the movie or game industry. If everyone pirates the stuff, there will in the long term no companies which produce high quality products. I think the current subscription price is ok if you take into consideration what amount of content you get here. In the long term I would like to pay less for a year or so, but it was mentioned that a business model like this will happen later this year. I will stay on the site as long as the quality of the subscription content and the new books will stay as high as the current releases. I really like the site and I will support it as long as possible.
The problem is that when an immoral site tries the moral approach then it loses nearly all of its supporters. This site is surely on a steep decline right now. It also doesn't help that they were very unprepared for the change that they made too; credit card only payments and very little diversity/content to name a few. What's even worse is that it seems they didn't even think of these things because whenever anyone brings something up they just reply with we are working to get "insert thing they forgot about" sometime later in their year. I really don't think this site will be doing very well from now on or at least for a long time. Also, as for the piracy, its probably just a front for them to put up a pay wall for everything. Since nearly everything that was on here isn't distributed to English speaking countries anyways, so having it on here wasn't hurting their sales cause there wasnt any and you can't hurt nothing.
Yeah i was shocked After i saw my favourits are gone
And now i think to be a subscriber but i would like to Pay with paysafecard...
It was effectively this decision that made me subscribe in the first place. The amalgamation of subscription and (albeit, fewer and fewer) non-subscription content on the front page every day was an eyesore, so I'm glad FAKKU finally got rid of all its non-exclusive content. It's not as though those scans don't exist elsewhere, but compared to the overwhelming quality of the subscription content provided here I highly doubt I'll be looking elsewhere ever again.

The subscription fee is steep, yes, but consider what most of you pay per month on Netflix and Crunchyrol subs, aggregate Steam sales, and various other crap you fucking NEETs are into. If jacking off to high quality (and uncensored!!!) nakadashi means sacrificing a pack of smokes per month, so be it; I suppose I should also thank FAKKU for increasing my lifespan.
How about Skrill ? A paypal alternative, they're less stricter than paypal
Kaeffis wrote...

The subscription fee is steep, yes, but consider what most of you pay per month on Netflix and Crunchyrol subs, aggregate Steam sales, and various other crap you fucking NEETs are into. If jacking off to high quality (and uncensored!!!) nakadashi means sacrificing a pack of smokes per month, so be it; I suppose I should also thank FAKKU for increasing my lifespan.

Lol best way to put it.
blackice85 FAKKU! Gold
Kaeffis wrote...

A lot of people are saying it's steep but I really don't see it, not unless you live somewhere where the USD exchange rate is really bad, then I can sympathize. For me it's less than a fill up for my car, hell I spend more on coffee every few days, and I'm hardly rich. And it's not like you can't cancel or resubscribe if you need to.
blackice85 wrote...
Kaeffis wrote...

A lot of people are saying it's steep but I really don't see it, not unless you live somewhere where the USD exchange rate is really bad, then I can sympathize. For me it's less than a fill up for my car, hell I spend more on coffee every few days, and I'm hardly rich. And it's not like you can't cancel or resubscribe if you need to.

If you waste that much money on coffee every day then you're rich by other people's standards XD Just saying.
personally i dont like the removal of the free stuff, but i do respect the way fakku is heading in supporting all hentai artists content.
for a while i was just browing the site then joined it. free stuff was good, then books were put on, then magazines. its a excellent site that i will probitly suport fakku in the future & its artists.

one idea that comes to mind is, puting some unlicensed content of the officially published artists back on fakku so those artists could get more fans for them, if its ok with them of coures. this would get fakku a bit of subbsribers too.

keep up the good work jacob & good luck.
guammastermind671 Da RL Lurker at FAKKU
I actually support this Jacob, but with one exception. Please don't get rid of the doujins that were in it, or at least just their names. Since I saw what you posted, there were doujins I wanted to find that were in my favorites in akihabara, but I can't see them now that most of my favorites were removed. would rather have what you did before, where you just made the doujin unreadable, but the name and the artist were intact.
Papa Nito Enemy Stand
I've been a subscriber since launch. Love the quality of the manga I've read. Even if the amount of content we have so far isn't as vast as many would hope, I have no big problem with it, considering my somewhat busy schedule.

One thing I do hope for with the future of the service, is the acquisition of the rights to publish other various types of H-Magazines from Japan, thus further expanding the sheer amount of content. It may even pull those who've dismissed the site, since I see many saying "not enough bang for my buck". I'll continue supporting, and hopefully more great things come to fruition.
What might push me over the edge into a subscription is having the books be part of that as well, or at least a discount in the books. Right now, not only has the amount of content on Fakku been drastically reduced, there is yet another paywall in place behind the paywall, which is a bit discouraging.
I've been on fakku sincerely it first came out...I've even met you in person to talk about how much I love fakku... First you guys took off some incest tags and such. Now you take off all the other shit. This was my go to place to read hentai. I chose this site over a whole bunch. And now it just keeps plumiting. You will lose a lot of people. And I'm one of them. I'll check in once in a while to see if there's anything to read but for the most part, you've lost a valued subscriber....
WitnessX Starship Captain
Jacob wrote...

[size=18]Why did you remove scanlations and unlicensed content?[/size]

A lot of people think hentai is free just because it's always been free. Given our history at FAKKU we've contributed to that misconception, and now it's time to fix it. Everything you've been reading on the Internet has been a scan of an actual book from Japan, something Japanese authorities are increasingly clamping down on. Piracy is not a sustainable business model, but more importantly, piracy has never been my goal with FAKKU.

Over the past year we have officially published over 200 individual artists. After going to Japan and meeting with artists whom we've published and have had their scanlations appear on FAKKU, I have made the decision to support them as much as I possibly can. It's heartbreaking to talk with an artist and have them explain that when they Google their name they don't see their website, or their Twitter, or any way to actually support them. All they see are pirated scans of their work that were uploaded somewhere without their permission.

This isn't a problem unique to hentai, it's an issue with the anime and manga industry at large and the reason why so many Japanese companies, publishers, and artists, blindly turn their back on their overseas fans thinking we're all pirates. Because for so many years that's all we've been to them, pirates. My goal with FAKKU is to change their perception of us and removing scanlations (and giving our users a way to support their favorite artists) is the next step.

As a result of this change you'll see more content coming to FAKKU from new artists and new publishers. We will be publishing all different kinds of genres, including things you don't normally see on FAKKU. I want to bring back all of the content that has been removed, but now legally and in collaboration with the artists that created it instead of via pirated scans. Right now we simulpublish two of the largest hentai magazines in Japan, Comic Kairakuten and Comic X-Eros, which together account for almost 1,000 pages of new content each month. The fact that we have been successfully doing this for six months is incredible, it's the equivalent of publishing two entire issues of Shonen Jump every single month.

We plan to add free content for users that cannot afford a subscription, but it's going to take some time. We are still legally figuring out how exactly to do this and how to do it in a way that's smart alongside our subscriptions. If you have ideas post them in this thread, I'll be reading every single reply.

[size=18]Final Thoughts[/size]

At this point whether we succeed or fail is entirely up to you, and we need your support now more than ever. If you can't afford a subscription, help spread our message and explain to people why we made this decision and why the artists deserve support. Get out there and tell people. Think of all the faps these artists have given us over the years, now we finally have the opportunity to give back to them in a meaningful way.

I hope you choose to stick around with FAKKU. If not, it's been an incredible 10 years and I want to thank all of you for being a part of it.

My question is, where does doujinshi fit into the piracy you spoke of? Most if not all doujinshi, ero or not, are unlicensed, so I don't see how they could be brought back.