ZIN: Action RPG Project

Pages 12Next
FinalBoss #levelupyourgrind
Forum Image: https://ist6-3.filesor.com/pimpandhost.com/1/_/_/_/1/a/w/E/t/awEt4/dbj064l-0c46aec2-bcc3-46d8-bc6b-32e468b5a41c.gif

I've been working on this for some time now, but I'm finally resolved to finish it. So far, I'm working on a basic outline for the story, finished the background stories for the 11 playable characters, and now I'm working on the background stories for the major npcs.

-------------------------------------

Plot:

Spoiler:
After witnessing the gradual death of the universe, angels have decided that the only way to save existence is to exterminate the beings that harbor the most negative energy. The human race is on the list for elimination. Humanity was on the brink of extinction due to the Angels' crusade. However, three of the most powerful angels took pity on humanity and traveled to the mortal realm to prepare them for war against their kind. They taught the humans how to unlock their spiritual potential, thus allowing them to push their mental/physical abilities to the limit. This new awakening came to be known as the "Fruits of knowledge". Over time, the humans who rebelled were ready to face off against the angels who sought out to destroy humanity. A great war waged against human and angel. With the support of their guardians, the humans eventually managed to fend off against the angel attack. Humanity gave praise to their saviors and named their three planets after each of the saviors. The books of Z.I.N was later written which told the story of humanities struggle for survival and freedom.

Over 33 thousand years have passed since the first spiritual war. The three savior angels vanished mysteriously. Humans' moment of victory didn't last long due to a new problem arising. The inner cores of the three planets have begun to lose a significant amount of energy. Left unchecked, all life would cease to exist. Humans adapted to this issue by using the soul as an alternative energy source for the planets. The governments that rule the planets assign various groups of people the role of being a human battery. These human batteries are placed in camps buried miles beneath the planets' surfaces. Their souls feed the planets' inner cores. As a human battery, their life span is decreased by 3/4 that of the average human. Some slaves lose their ability to use their souls as an energy source. They are called dead batteries. These slaves are given the chance to become a citizen by competing against other dead batteries as a gladiator. A dead battery can also gain citizenship by serving as a soldier or demon hunter.

Now enter a young man named Rio Blade, who happens to be a human battery since birth. Lately he's been having a re-occurring dream about a beautiful woman during his soul draining sessions. One day, he loses his ability to provide energy to the planet's inner core. He is now labeled a dead battery and brought to the planet's surface. After having all the basic knowledge uploaded to his brain, he now has two goals. The first goal is to become a citizen, the second goal is to find the woman in his dreams. Things get complicated when a) He becomes a target of an unknown enemy b ) He gets sent to an unknown dimension c) The humans declare war against angels to settle the score once and for all.

-------------------------------------

This will be considered a Q&A thread. Reply below for any questions you may have about the game. You can also make suggestions, or apply for positions. The additional information that was here has been moved to the blog. Go there for anything related to Project Final Boss games.

Links:

Official Project FinalBoss Corp. Website (under construction)
Discord Server
Deviant art page
Are you looking for feedback? Regardless, I'll watch this thread for updates with interest.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Are you looking for feedback? Regardless, I'll watch this thread for updates with interest.

Feedback, tips, etc. I really just wanted to share with the community what I'm working on.
Sgt.broski Where's the futa Jacob
Very good, but I don't really get where the demons came from if its a war between angels and human. Also were the three planets inhabited by other species? Or did the humans colonized it?
TheOverFlow wrote...
Very good, but I don't really get where the demons came from if its a war between angels and human. Also were the three planets inhabited by other species? Or did the humans colonized it?

Good questions, demons are actually angels that are still hostile to humans after the first Spiritual war 1 (thus the need for demon hunters). Fallen angels are good in nature as they were the ones who sided with the three savior angels. The original angels that once killed and enslaved humans have become neutral. The humans categorized angels this way to differentiate them. That's the only difference they have really. Although, the demons modified their bodies with the lost souls, so their appearances look different than the common angel. However, the demons in mortal realm 2 are of the traditional anime intake rather than traditional Christian ideology (In which demons are just the polar opposite of angels and not of the same species).

As for your other question. The setting of ZIN is of an entirely different universe than Earth's universe. With that said, the planet Ian is the mother planet of all humans. When their technology advanced and their population grew too big, many migrated to the other two planets Ze and Nar. There were always native lifeforms present before humans on all three planets.
I've never played Star Ocean of Naruto, but the battle system sounds like something that has a lot of depth to it. It's nice that there are multiple options available for the main character. It reminds me of Tales of Xillia 2, where the main characters could wield either swords, pistols, or a hammer.

*Average human lives for 1000 years

Obviously, these humans are different from humans in real life. It'll be interesting to see the ways in which they differ and are the same.

These slaves are given the chance to become a citizen by competing against other dead batteries as a gladiator. A dead battery can also gain citizenship by serving as a soldier or demon hunter.

I question why this is a thing. It just seems so illogical to me.

Dead batteries begin to emerge within the plantations. A system is built to deal with them.

This sheds some light on it, but I still don't really know at all what the deal is with the dead batteries.

The humans declare war against angels to settle the score once and for all.

Kinda sounds like this is happening just for the sake for throwing more conflict at your characters, but I'm guessing there are more important reasons behind this.

So far, I'm working on a basic outline for the story, finished the background stories for the 11 playable characters . . .

I don't know what your work ethic is like (or anything about you for that matter), but 11 characters sounds like too much to work with. I imagine it would be difficult to create unique enough personalities, fighting styles, backstories, and roles in the plot to justify having all of them.

No, I haven't read through all of the profiles you posted, and I probably should before making comments about the characters.
Obviously, these humans are different from humans in real life. It'll be interesting to see the ways in which they differ and are the same.

Yeah, living for 1000 years can give you a different outlook on life in general and how you treat others. I'll try my best to portray that notion in the story.

I question why this is a thing. It just seems so illogical to me.

Perhaps that's one of the downsides of living for a long time. Your moral sense grows dull and you become desensitized to the point where you lose your respect for humanity. This is especially true to the ones in power. Authority figures get a power trip on controlling people (you see this even in RL). If there is a reason why slaves have to fight for their freedom, its because the society of ZIN is fixated on labels and social status. To them, slaves should remain slaves and citizens should remain citizens. If a slave were to break the order of things, society gets bitter. Not only that, but its a reaction to the public's fear. Keep in mind, the plantations are there to keep the planets healthy. If 45-50% of the slaves were to become dead batteries on one of the three planets, it would spell doom for not only the humans living on that planet, but all life living on it. That fear lives with the citizens on a daily basis (to top it off, they live on average for 1000 years). So its no wonder they don't look at slaves as proper human beings, but tools to keep them alive. If a tool breaks, its deemed useless.

Kinda sounds like this is happening just for the sake for throwing more conflict at your characters, but I'm guessing there are more important reasons behind this.

Well, its not just about revenge. Their intentions are derived from fear that the angels will try to repeat what they did to them thousands of years ago. And yes, the USZ has ulterior motives aside from fear and revenge.

I don't know what your work ethic is like (or anything about you for that matter), but 11 characters sounds like too much to work with. I imagine it would be difficult to create unique enough personalities, fighting styles, backstories, and roles in the plot to justify having all of them.

I base the personalities on the anime hair system. Certain hair colors represent the characters' personality. For example: Black hair might represent independence, purple hair egotistical, orange courageous, red passionate, green jealousy, etc. With that said you'll see some similarities personality wise, but that's on purpose. In fact, you may notice that two completely different characters will say the same phrase or two. As for backstories and roles in plot, I have confidence in my creativity. I see a number of possibilities these characters can have in regards to their social links and experiences. I'll add more fighting styles to make sure that all 11 characters are unique (either that, or make 2-3 common fighting styles). Oh, I almost forgot to mention this. Just because there are 11 playable characters doesn't mean you'll meet all 11 characters during your playthrough. In Mortal realm 1, some characters can only be acquired if you choose a certain job. For example, if you choose demon hunter, you'll get Eclaire and Alex. Others will join later by default no matter what job you choose.
Perhaps that's one of the downsides of living for a long time. Your moral sense grows dull and you become desensitized to the point where you lose your respect for humanity. This is especially true to the ones in power. Authority figures get a power trip on controlling people (you see this even in RL). If there is a reason why slaves have to fight for their freedom, its because the society of ZIN is fixated on labels and social status. To them, slaves should remain slaves and citizens should remain citizens. If a slave were to break the order of things, society gets bitter. Not only that, but its a reaction to the public's fear. Keep in mind, the plantations are there to keep the planets healthy. If 45-50% of the slaves were to become dead batteries on one of the three planets, it would spell doom for not only the humans living on that planet, but all life living on it. That fear lives with the citizens on a daily basis (to top it off, they live on average for 1000 years). So its no wonder they don't look at slaves as proper human beings, but tools to keep them alive. If a tool breaks, its deemed useless.

All right then. If you can give me that much information now, I imagine this is a subject that will be addressed over the course of the game.

Oh, I almost forgot to mention this. Just because there are 11 playable characters doesn't mean you'll meet all 11 characters during your playthrough. In Mortal realm 1, some characters can only be acquired if you choose a certain job. For example, if you choose demon hunter, you'll get Eclaire and Alex. Others will join later by default no matter what job you choose.

Another thing that would worry me with 11 characters is it might be too much for players to handle. Even in games with seven or eight characters, there's usually at least one that I find myself by and largely ignoring. This does solve that problem to at least some extent though, and it offers more replayability.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...

Another thing that would worry me with 11 characters is it might be too much for players to handle. Even in games with seven or eight characters, there's usually at least one that I find myself by and largely ignoring. This does solve that problem to at least some extent though, and it offers more replayability.

Yeah, that's what I didn't like about Chrono Cross (20 fucking characters to play as...). All those characters made the interactions shallow as hell (still love the game though). In ZIN, I plan on making the social interactions in depth. You'll get different responses and reactions from the characters depending on how deep a bond you form with them. Also, I pretty much had to make at least 11 characters since its not just an action rpg, but it'll have eroge elements as well. I needed a diverse number of women to choose from in order for it to work.
This is very interesting
CrimsonShade95 wrote...
This is very interesting

Thank you, I'll do an update soon.

Edit: Due to a minor inconvenince, I had to change a few names. The major change is the name of the planet Nar and the Angel Narendra. They have been changed to Ni and Nike.
I'll keeping an eye out for this because you've caught my attention
There won't be many updates from this point on as I'll be working on the outline and script for the game. If you have any questions pm me or post them here. Any tips are welcome as this is the first game I'm working on.

Edit:

Since this game is highly religion based in addition to scifi/fantasy, I need more ideas as to what people in general would do if they were God. I'd appreciate it if you'd take the time to reply to a topic I made a couple years back: If you were God

Thanks, and all hail the universe.

Edit 2:

I'm almost done with the main route outline. Once I polish some of the details, I'll work on finishing the job route outlines and character side stories. Hopefully I can get that done before the summer is over so I can finally work on the actual script. Also, the backlash regarding the FF7 remake is causing me to have conflicting thoughts about the direction I want the battle system to go. I'm no longer sure if I want it to be a full action rpg, or make it a interactive turn based rpg. It'd be great if I could get an opinion on this. Since I'm a beginner, I was thinking maybe I should start out doing a turn based since it seems simpler.

Edit 3:

I got a homepage hosting this and future projects. I decided my development name will be "Project FinalBoss".
I find all to often commercial games lose the human aspect of the relationship. it's the biggest opportunity in video games is to immerse the player in more than just breasts.
And frequently fans, like you, are now trying to put deep emotion into their games, keep it up I want to see where this goes. :)
someonehotter wrote...
I find all to often commercial games lose the human aspect of the relationship. it's the biggest opportunity in video games is to immerse the player in more than just breasts.
And frequently fans, like you, are now trying to put deep emotion into their games, keep it up I want to see where this goes. :)

Yeah, very rarely now do I come across rpgs that have deep character development. Persona 3&4(especially 4) hit it out of the park though. Hopefully when my game script is finished, it'll hold sentimental value for me like I have for that series.
Is this game still in development?
FakkuJude wrote...
Is this game still in development?

Yes, I'm working on the script as of right now.
What engine are you going to build the game in, and how do you intend to publish it?
The Darkness that Dozes i wrote...
What engine are you going to build the game in, and how do you intend to publish it?

Engine: This (I wanted to do it using good ol C++, but this seems simpler considering my inexperience)

Publisher: I haven't really thought of a publisher yet. I recall there being an adult eroge software similar to steam that sells H games, i might try that out if I can find it again (It might've been Nutaku). Then again, I heard Steam is accepting H games into their library someday. Who knows maybe I'll try J-List or even Fakku if Jacob is interested. Only time will tell

Update:

Added a progress chart to the main site: Progress chart
-------------------Update 2---------------------

I just want to announce, that Project FinalBoss is an official indie gaming company. ZIN is still under development, but the demo for it should be ready late 2019. I signed on board a game designer who has been a great help converting my story into a playable video game. I honestly think that without his help, ZIN may not have been a feasible concept for a game. The game is now going to use the unreal engine, but it will be a turn based rpg rather than action turn based. I've also made changes to character names as well as role changes among a few characters. In between working on the demo and actual game, I am working on two websites, a .org and .com of PROJECT FINALBOSS CORP. The .org website will focus on ZIN as well as other projects and merchandise revolving around the PFB brand. The .com site will host a blog, a php coded web rpg (free of charge) and portals/attractions to other side projects that I'm apart of. There's been quite a few updates and changes to ZIN, which will all be addressed on the .org site once that is fully operational.

-------------------Update---------------------
Added a discord server: Discord

Hey guys, been awhile. Just want to give a status report for my progress on the game. Right now I'm happy to report that I have enough material to get started on a Demo for ZIN. I'm currently in the process of doing screening tests for voice actors, 3D designers and SFX/BGM composers. If you're interested in applying for any of those positions then feel free to do so at the discord server, pm or my dev email (finalb@projectfinalboss.com). Do note, that you are applying for Revenue-Share long term and it is not a prepaid position (meaning, you only get paid a portion of the profit earned based on the position(s) you take). A couple people signed up for voice actor roles and I'm sampling music from a few composers I found on Reddit. I'm very excited to get the demo up and running. If the finished demo gets a good reception, I'll put up a kickstarter to help finish the game. Thanks to those on the thread who supported my idea. I'll definitely need beta testers once the finishing touches are done, you'll be the first peeps I ask to do the honors. Cheers.
Pages 12Next