Am I the only who thinks Evangelion is overrated?

Pages Prev123Next
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
fallenwing13 wrote...
If a character's trauma and development for self acceptance is to you worth 8 episodes, yeah, but I think it's better this way.

It's worth 8 secs.
I get the reasoning behind it. As someone who has their own life experience with trauma I could understand it without the length.
I saw it when I was younger; about 10 years old, maybe? It really didn't make such an impact on me, other than the violence. When I got into my early to late teens I've heard people preach that it was a deep, emotional, and impactful anime. When I had the opportunity to re-watch it on adult swim (don't hate me) I paid close attention and with an analytical point of view: I did enjoy it but many of the themes that viewers appreciated and were profound flew over my head. I really didn't get much at all. To fully appreciate it I had to listen to other viewers' arguments and interpretations. So yeah, I think it's a bit overrated because of the themes. In general, I dislike to watch media that is all about nihilism/cynicism, loneliness, and the whole "I hate the world". Maybe that's why Evangelion didn't really make much an impact on me.

By no means am I bashing it: I do think it's a good work of art and I can appreciate it for what it is and for what it tried and managed to accomplish. Hell, some of its themes did have a minor impact on my view of life. I just don't think it's "The" anime that everyone makes it out to be.
I would say it's one of those animes' that you have to be very, very analytical and re-watch it over and over again to really appreciate it and understand it. And if it doesn't have an impact on everyone, then maybe it's not really the great anime that people make it out to be: all it is is just a work of art that is interpreted by people individually.

Note: I'm just expressing my thoughts on the anime, not the social impact it had on the west, which we can all agree did a good job.
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
I only bought the dvd version of EoE and D&R because i wanted to see
IF YOU NEVER SEEN IT DON'T CLICK OR IT SPOIL YOU YOU LATE ROTTEN POTATOS
Spoiler:
shitji fap over fire cunts limp comatosed body and being the only two humans alive in the end.

The series is highly overrated. Like fate/any of them except loli bait one.
The animated series and movies are certainly not the perfection many of the more hardcore fans make them out to be, but I think they deserve the generally warm reception they receive by critics and the public alike. The characters are well written and believable. There is a unique visual aesthetic with some moments of stunning animation. The soundtracks are also very good. Overall, it is an excellent series, but it does have a few flaws.

Perhaps the most egregious flaw I find with Evangelion is that, while the characters are believable, I'm never able to invest myself in them emotionally in a meaningful way. Primarily I think this is due to the initial lack of redeemable qualities in each character and the late build up of them. Secondarily, I think this is due to too much important perspective and information being given in a brief period of time at the end of the main series, rather than being more evenly spread out throughout it. The movies do somewhat remedy this, but to take an old adage, it's too little too late. Don't get me wrong, I still think the narrative is very enjoyable to experience, I just feel it would have impacted me more if character development was more evenly spread out across the series.

Another flaw I find with it is the Judeo-Christian "symbolism", it's really just for aesthetic purpose, and while it does fit the rule of cool, I felt like it really should have been intertwined with the story in a more meaningful way. Rule of cool is great, but it's better when something is both cool and meaningful in the context of the story.

For those highly subjective flaws, I can only call Evangelion a very good series, rather than a masterpiece. This is the same opinion most of the people I discuss the series with have (not necessarily for the same reasons), so I wouldn't consider it overrated.
Agreed shortening it to less episodes. Watched it through twice, couldn't appreciate it.
I tried getting into it but it wasn't for me. I have ADHD so I need something with a strong hook
Man, I have to finally finish it. Still to this day I never went beyond episode 3 for some reason, something always got in the way. Now that the series is on Netflix I really should finally watch it and see if the hype is warranted.
Haven't actually watched it yet. There's also like only one or two people I know that have watched it.
It's not the best of all time, but its worth a watch or two at least
The movie is better
I've watched a bit of evangelion but as I've never been into mechas, it never really seemed like something "that amazing" to me
I think Evangelion is good but lacks some things compared to modern stuff.
mario345432 wrote...

like what?
Ryssen wrote...
mario345432 wrote...

like what?

Like art style/quality, sound quality, overall technical aspects.
I think Darling in the Franxx is an anime that probably got some inspiration from Evangelion
Yeah, I like the show a decent amount but I get why people feel this way. There's definitely some serious pacing issues and it works a lot better on a thematic level than a narrative one imo
mario345432 wrote...
Ryssen wrote...
mario345432 wrote...

like what?

Like art style/quality, sound quality, overall technical aspects.

I guess it's a difference in preference and I don't agree with you at all. I think Evangelion achieves what it strives for, so much that the technical aspects of the show really doesn't bother me.
Evangalion is okay, repeating watching kinda make it very silly
Eva is okay, but I dont think it has aged as well as other shows.
Pages Prev123Next