Discrimination

What do you think about discrimination? Have you ever been discriminated before? Have you ever discriminated?

My answers are :
1. I think discrimination is the worst thing on earth, you hurt other people because of something trivial, like skin color, weight, accent, etc. It's something that keeps bugging frequently discriminated people. It changes peoples view on the society.

2. Yes, I've been discriminated in two ways. Because of skin color and height, but the latter isn't of much importance. Maybe my statement in 1 isn't fully correct, but being bullied, changed my view on society. I'm depressed, have found 1001 ways to suicide, etc.

3. I know how it feels to e discriminated, so I don't discriminate

Well, these are my answers, what are yours?
I do not like discrimination. However, laws against discrimination actually discriminate us even more!
Discrimination is obviously a bad thing, but laws do absolutely nothing to stop it. It happens everyday, all around us. But, it saddens me to say judging on appearances has become human nature, well that's still debatable, but ya'know what I'm saying.
I believe people should be judged on their actions, not their appearances nor their personal preferences.
They discriminated me based on my religion and beat me up for it.

I can't blame them though, because the past fucked up the present and if they don't learn soon then we'll have a fucked up future.
In my opinion, those with more opinions are more ignorant of the world. Discrimination is a terrible truth in this world, but you can't forget that it's in out nature to belong and to segregate ourselves to become a part of something is inevitable. However, in this process, we discriminate others to belong. So in other words, humanity's nature is ugly, but only because it results from the human mind itself.
Lishy1 wrote...
I do not like discrimination. However, laws against discrimination actually discriminate us even more!

...wait what. How does preventing discrimination innately discriminate?

If anything, sure, it might breed contempt from the non-discriminated-against group, but that is not a direct result: rather, we should educate such groups why they should not feel so ENTITLED TO discriminate.
Discrimination in itself is neither good nor bad.

I will discriminate against a high school dropout vs a brain surgeon if I want to be diagnosed with this splitting headache.

Sorry, no, I'm not going to a high school dropout for medical treatment, no matter how you protest. You'd have to demonstrate some sort of miraculous skill for me to even consider you. But otherwise, no, nyet, never.

I will also discriminate against people with a tattoo of a pentagram/upside down cross with the devil on his forehead as a cashier to McDonalds. Sure, he might be awesome as cashier, but he's also likely to turn away customers. Not fair? Don't care.

Discrimination is bad when you judge anything as undesirable using criterion that is absolutely not connected to the topic at hand.

For example, you refuse to go to the black doctor because he is black. Or you refuse to hire (say, for a janitorial job, or accountant) a gay person. Being gay has nothing to do with his ability to perform a job.

Quotas. Affirmative action.

For example, a university has to admit 10% non-whites as freshman. So, if you're white, even if your entrance exam scores are higher, you won't be able to enter said university.

Thus, in an attempt to prevent discrimination, it actually causes more discrimination. You didn't enter that university SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU WERE WHITE.

This has gotten so bad that I've seen people in some forums claim that putting "caucasian/white" in your entrance form to a university means a greater chance of not being admitted.
fatman wrote...

For example, a university has to admit 10% non-whites as freshman. So, if you're white, even if your entrance exam scores are higher, you won't be able to enter said university.

Thus, in an attempt to prevent discrimination, it actually causes more discrimination. You didn't enter that university SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU WERE WHITE.

This has gotten so bad that I've seen people in some forums claim that putting "caucasian/white" in your entrance form to a university means a greater chance of not being admitted.

But that's assuming one was *entitled* to a spot in said college.
The same faulty logic is used by people who say "oh that ____ person took my job! I should have gotten it!"

Really? Funny, jobs and college admission are things you apply for, not things you are guaranteed.
So, person X, who has better grades than person Y, not admited to college because person X is white is not discrimination?

Or not hiring a person because he is gay/black/atheist/whatever is not discrimination, because getting hired is not guaranteed?
I think discrimination is some what good if you look it on other perspectives like without discrimination development can never be push forward and we will never achieve improvement. Well it's in the human way of life that somehow discrimination is in our everyday of life.
Some discrimination originates from fear and ignorance. For example, a community that has norms or practices different from the rest of society would expect discrimination. I believe this stems from lack of knowledge about their cultural norms. If no effort is made to make them interact or communicate with each other, this discrimination would continue.

The use of a common language manages to cut down on discrimination somewhat. I believe this is because it offers another means for groups to know and mingle with each other.

Some discrimination is pure common sense. I would treat a disabled and a well-bodied person differently because a disabled person has more needs and problems that that of a well-bodied and able person. I am taking that discrimination here also meant positive discrimination.
Sunduction wrote...
Discrimination is obviously a bad thing, but laws do absolutely nothing to stop it. It happens everyday, all around us. But, it saddens me to say judging on appearances has become human nature, well that's still debatable, but ya'know what I'm saying.
I believe people should be judged on their actions, not their appearances nor their personal preferences.

What's the title of the manga you avi is based on? I've read part way through, but I can't find the dang thing to read the rest.
Ah, modern discrimination and racism. What a wonderful gift the British have given the Western World! In Australia we have very "strict" laws against discrimination, but as it has been said before, it does nothing because we still enjoy the right of freedom of speech. If you walked up a street in Cabramatta, New South Wales, you would find almost NO white people at all, because we Aussies seem to have a thing against Asians. If you walked down a street in Fairfield at night, you would more than likely find a group of white kids prowling the streets for an Asian or black dude. Discrimination is a horrible thing and it causes a lot of hate to be thrown around, but at the same time there isn't anything we can do about it without treading on the democratic rights of the average bum.
fatman wrote...
Discrimination in itself is neither good nor bad.

I will discriminate against a high school dropout vs a brain surgeon if I want to be diagnosed with this splitting headache.

Sorry, no, I'm not going to a high school dropout for medical treatment, no matter how you protest. You'd have to demonstrate some sort of miraculous skill for me to even consider you. But otherwise, no, nyet, never.

I will also discriminate against people with a tattoo of a pentagram/upside down cross with the devil on his forehead as a cashier to McDonalds. Sure, he might be awesome as cashier, but he's also likely to turn away customers. Not fair? Don't care.

Discrimination is bad when you judge anything as undesirable using criterion that is absolutely not connected to the topic at hand.

For example, you refuse to go to the black doctor because he is black. Or you refuse to hire (say, for a janitorial job, or accountant) a gay person. Being gay has nothing to do with his ability to perform a job.

Thank you! +rep!
For a white dude, i've been discriminated against an awful lot.

i have long hair, and i mostly wear work clothes(dickies, ben davis, etc.), so aparently that makes me fit some profile of a master criminal. i get pulled over for walking down the street. "what are you doing around here" or "where's the dope" are the most common questions cops ask me. i also have many mexican friends, so a few times i've gotten "what are you doing with these guys", usually followed by "where's the dope".

i don't discriminate*, but i do mock people who deserve it, and that can be mistaken as discrimination. for example, my friends cousin. he was a mexican, but he acted like an exagerated stereo type black gangster rapper. he never wore a cap with the bill pointing straight forward or backward. his pants were always super sagged(closer to his knees than his hips). he wore huge gold chains. he said things like, "yo dawg", and "what up my nigga" constantly. he was so over the top, his own family would make fun of him, but when i said something, he decided it was because i was a nazi. i found the irony hilarious. because i was white, to him that meant i must be racist.

*i admit, i was an ignorant ass when i was young, but as i grew up, i learned that anybody has the potential to be scum. you can't tell who until you meet and get to know them.
antonaqua wrote...
3. I know how it feels to be discriminated, so I don't discriminate.

I love your third answer because i am as well.

Just to add things up, my opinion on discrimination is a selfish act of demoting others by babbling of course.And it's "Just for fun" as they say.
is it really wrong to discriminate? Discrimination requires you to treat two similarly situated persons differently. Do you not treat cops differently from citizens? Do you not treat women differently from men (think of asking a woman of her weight or age)? Do you not treat the disable differently from the normal?

In my opinion there are two types of discrimination. Hard discrimination or conscience intentional discrimination. And soft discrimination or unintentional discrimination (note first paragraph).

Would a white person act differently if they were thrown into a black neighborhood? Think of detroit or chicago. Would a black individual act different if thrown into a white neighborhood? One might not think of intentionally discriminating but one knows that it is wise not to say certain things.
Do you not treat the disable differently from the normal?

Bad example. As a person in a wheelchair, I will say this: there are a LOT of disabled people who DO NOT want to be treated differently. Some find it demeaning.

Of course, some do (hey, I like them wheelchair access thingies and actively avoid establishments without them). But not all. Just keep that in mind.