Writer's Block

okay so everyone gets it... now how do you get rid of it?
artcellrox The Grey Knight :y
Wait it out, do something else, anything really. Basically, stay away from writing for a bit. The block happens due to a lack of inspiration, and you can't just force inspiration to come out of nowhere. Patience is a must.
artcellrox wrote...
Wait it out, do something else, anything really. Basically, stay away from writing for a bit. The block happens due to a lack of inspiration, and you can't just force inspiration to come out of nowhere. Patience is a must.

I've been writing this story for the last 2 years and I have left it. I've gone over 10 months without touching it. I've been trying to string the plot together but I just cant thing of anything. I don't even know what direction it should go into anymore
artcellrox The Grey Knight :y
Constructive criticism can also help. Get other writers to help you out and see what might be wrong.
Try writing something else, let that be on the back burner. If you are completely blocked, assigned projects sometimes helps, such as a school assignment or a news article. Try a different style....or pick up a book forcing you to do different writing exercises. Get someone to read your work and have them talk about it with you, read critics of works that you like.

Or do something that requires long hours of nothing but refection. Fishing is one such activity.

break a leg.
I either stop writing for some time or I listen to music.
ToyManC Forgot my safe word
If you've been away from the story for 10 months, then you might consider reading it through again, from start to finish, to re-familiarize yourself with your story and characters.

As other people have mentioned, it might help to work on some other story, if you've got one, and leave this on the back burner. Go back when you get the urge to return to it. The good thing about writing is that there is no time limit on creating your own story.

Try to keep writing, though, even if its something simple. It's easy to set aside, and never pick up again, if you let life take you away from your passion to write.
Find a different form of inspiration like, asking other people as art said. In my case I get drawing block then I just listen to music or watch anime until something pops into my head. Best thing to do is to get away from writing, for now relax and do something you enjoy something will inspire you sooner or later.
Cinia Pacifica Ojou-sama Writer
I think talking to someone who read your story - as advised to you already - would be the best way to deal with this problem. It can be really inspiring when someone who read your story says that he/she wants to read more of it and is waiting for the next chapter.
Why don't you post it here and share it with us? Who knows if one of us might give you a comment that would inspire you~~
Listening to music helps me personally. Also, make sure it is truly a writers block and not just being lazy. Once, I felt I had a writer's block when in truth I knew the problem - the beginning to my story sucked (for the lack of a better term). I had to do a rewrite, but I kept putting it off because I just didn't want to have to go through the whole story with a fine comb again.
Pretty much every way of deal with it has been mentioned. The rest is different among people...
Even common things like just taking a stroll around the neighborhood or going to a place you find inspiring or relaxing is useful when dealing with it.
neko-chan wrote...
Listening to music helps me personally. Also, make sure it is truly a writers block and not just being lazy. Once, I felt I had a writer's block when in truth I knew the problem - the beginning to my story sucked (for the lack of a better term). I had to do a rewrite, but I kept putting it off because I just didn't want to have to go through the whole story with a fine comb again.

No it's deff writer's block. I even tried to rewrite the story a couple times but I came up with nothing. well I got a few broken Ideas but I could never connect enough ideas to make a plot
Writer's Block is A bitch. A cold heartless bitch that never seems to go away. Oh, she takes brief breaks. She hangs around in the corner of your mind, taunting you with her beautiful cold face as you erratically try to write your heart and soul... sometimes she plays hide and seek with you when you least need to get some work done, and then she suddenly attacks, viciously just as you are in the middle of the book you're trying to write...

Well, I have been under her spell for approximately 2 months right now. So far I can't finish my stories as quickly as I should

What helps me though is writing key words, words that symbolizes something, for instance embers of memories (it was a chapter in the book I was writing) play around with the words until you can forge associations with them that will lead into certain scenes or characters.

Second is I write down what comes to my mind. a conversation, a quote, even a setting, then I'd go back on it later...

Third is find a new medium, I managed to write an entire story using my cellphone. A change of scenery is awesome too.

and if worst comes to worst. I drink, or smoke . it gives me the right amount of melancholy that enables me to write. two beers and half a pack of menthol. works for me.
The most effective way you deal with it is to just start writing. It doesn't matter if it's good or bad, you can always come back later to fix it, you'll have to proofread later anyway. Just start with a simple sentence. Go on from there, connecting the sentences as you go with a central idea to form the paragraph. Using that paragraph, go on to the next idea that would logically follow. Slowly you'll start shifting in to a writing mood and the words will flow out naturally. This works for non-fiction articles to analytical essays to speculative fiction, basically everything that you will mostly likely encounter as a writer.

The only thing I will warn against is when you're stuck in the middle of writing some fiction and you try to continue despite being bored of it. In that case, I suggest you put down whatever you're using to write and go do something else. Nothing good ever comes from being bored with your own writing.
For me playing some great games will get my inspiration geared up quickly~

I especially like those RPG and Strategy ones, really thought provoking and made a great way to kickstart my writings. Some of you guys might have a different genre of games which ya like the most, so I guess try sticking up with it? =)

Oh yeah, don't forget to take it easy and always try have fun during the work on yer writings =D

Another way to boost my inspiration is by listening to music, some of you guys also had mentioned this stuff before hahaha~