Misguided life goal?

So, I'm going to college next school year as a Mechanical Engineering student.

Why?

Because I want to make female androids.

I think this small obsession of mine started when I read Chobits a few months ago. I guess it just built up in my mind that I wanted to create a robot of my own. It was further reinforced by my watching of mecha anime. So awesome.

Today starts my month-long countdown before I graduate. Here I am, thinking that I made a horrible mistake in choosing the course that would support me in my later years.

Do you guys think I made the right choice?

Please take this seriously. We're all brothers and sisters here, right?
mibuchiha Fakku Elder
First off, why do you think you made a horrible mistake?

For me, I don't think you made a mistake at all. At worst it's a mistake because mechanical engineering won't really help you to build androids but I have no idea how to build one so no comment on that.
It maybe a mistake, but don't think much about it. It's kinda useless if you think about abandoning what you are supposed to do with what you already got.

Make something out of it, this Mechanical Engineering thing. You can still fantasize to mecha without compromising your job, right? I mean, I'm with a crewmate now whose job is to fix electrical stuff, but then he also customized his old van and upgraded its engine. He's an electronics and comm engineer, by the way.

Passion. It's what drives you to fulfill your dreams whatever conditions you may face.
If you feel so strongly about it it's not a mistake I guess? Are you unsure because you're comparing your own motivations with that of others?

Still much better than the thousands of pre-meds (who say medicine is their absolute calling in life) who matriculate into my uni and switch majors and life goals once they realize they actually have to hardcore study in uni to get the req. gpa.
Thanks guys. This actually helped this more than you think. I knew I could count on you guys. ^_^
You did not make a mistake. In some Japanese technology shows, they showed female androids that we're made to assist hospital patients. The androids were unbelieveable realistic, at first I thought they were actual humans.
Meaning that making human androids is very possible, and maybe you might be one of the engieneers one day.

Your dream is misguided if you give up half way.
i wanna work on the AI that goes on androids. maybe when you make a functional one and i can make my side work we can fuse them together and make our own chobits!!!
holy crap! you to! I'm going in for mechanical engineering and electrical engineering (continuing a long line of professional students). I want to go in to bionics research field , which goes well with humanoid robotics. Soon I'll be interning at an engineering firm that deals with the design side of things this summer, then it's off to college. When people ask me what i'll be doing after school I tell them that i'm trying to be a cyborg (dream big or go home).
I don't think you've made a mistake. At least your following your misguided dream.
I don't think its a mistake or even a misguided dream. You have a dream and pursing a career that will help you get closer to that dream. I see that as a path to a happiness and I think your making the right choice. To my eyes, as long as you don't do anything cruel, go for it man!
Two words for the person who made this topic: Hell... yeah.
:D my dream is to become an expert A.I. developer and make an A.I. with intelligence greater than a human and start the technological singularity (near impossible, but I've made crazy shit happen in A.I. before ^^ )
I once heard from a pretty famous lady in my industry: "If you think you can reach your dream it isn't big enough" unless you have something to reach for you'll never be motivated enough to succed.
I don't think ypur making a mistake at all! When I was a kid I also read chobits and got pretty into android stuff as well. I kinda with I still had that passion. Good luck with your studies! I expect nothing but great things from you!
Some mistakes have to be made. Unless you are a thirty or forty year old family man, I don't think you'll lose anything in trying. If you're young, I say go for it.
I'll be honesty, your chances of actually seeing that accomplished in your lifespan are essentially nil. I respect your drive, and I think you could do a lot of good in that field, but it's going to be a long and arduous road to get part way to a destination you'll never see. Pave the way my friend, those who follow behind you will deliver engineers to the promised land, I'm just saying be okay with only seeing the mountain top, but never entering the promised land yourself.
if anything else mechanical engineering is good even without that, but you should try your best to make those. You'd be a rich man.
I think that is not possible for only one person to build that. You need a team with people who know about various things. Possibly Electrical engineers, programmers, material experts, physiology experts etc. But if you are interested and keep your goal, you might be able participate in various projects. University where i study has been doing some research in the programming area.