[General] Anime/Manga that you inexplicably like

Whenever I watch an anime or read a manga that I like, I can almost always pinpoint exact reasons why I like it; good storytelling, very funny, epic action, lots of emotion, good plot, etc. You'll notice that I said "almost" always. This is because, very occasionally, I will come across a series that I like, and yet I have no idea why. For me, the main one is the Shuffle! anime. I really, really like it, and yet I don't quite know why. I mean, I can think of definite reasons why I like it, but not enough to justify why I like it to the extent that I do. It's an enigma.

So, actually getting to the point now (yay for conciseness), has anyone else ever experienced this? And if so, what series?
SpontaneousCombustion wrote...
Whenever I watch an anime or read a manga that I like, I can almost always pinpoint exact reasons why I like it; good storytelling, very funny, epic action, lots of emotion, good plot, etc. You'll notice that I said "almost" always. This is because, very occasionally, I will come across a series that I like, and yet I have no idea why. For me, the main one is the Shuffle! anime. I really, really like it, and yet I don't quite know why. I mean, I can think of definite reasons why I like it, but not enough to justify why I like it to the extent that I do. It's an enigma.

So, actually getting to the point now (yay for conciseness), has anyone else ever experienced this? And if so, what series?

There's an anime literally called "Bartender" that I haven't the faintest clue why I like, but I like to watch.

Something about it fascinates me, just cant put my finger on it.
I like Bakemonogatari for the camera angles and captivating dialog.
Ro-Kyu-Bu!, yeah basketball Loli's. I still wonder why I started to watch it, but it was good, though I question myself sometimes. (woot season 2 next month)
Seikon No Qwaser for the excellent story
most recently, Aquarion EVOL. No idea why but I really like the show even though many hate it.
well I always know why I like the anime/manga that I watch and read but there is an anime that I don't like for whatever reason gintama
deadsx wrote...
Ro-Kyu-Bu!, yeah basketball Loli's. I still wonder why I started to watch it, but it was good, though I question myself sometimes. (woot season 2 next month)

Exactly this. I don't know why I enjoyed it as much as I did; maybe it was the moe-factor. In any case, I'm also looking forward to season 2 this summer season.
Ryssen wrote...

This. Plus, most scenes have unique and surreal backgrounds, which got me hooked because it looks different from the other animes that I've watched.
Odamust wrote...
Ryssen wrote...

This. Plus, most scenes have unique and surreal backgrounds, which got me hooked because it looks different from the other animes that I've watched.

When it comes to the scenes (and more or less half the dialogue) I agree, but only to the extent of the end of Bakamonogatari. I enjoyed the cutaways and backgrounds that would either add on to the story being discussed or pander off into a smaller diversion. Nisemonogatari and Nekomonogatari took a different direction in that manner, which left me somewhat disappointed. Some of the art direction in Nisemonogatari reminded me of Soul Taker so it was a nice take back, but not what I had wanted.

One of the animes I would put up is Kampfer, though I am somewhat aware of why I like it. The assertive, dominant, and a little bit sadistic student council president is right in my strike zone. She also compensates (for me) the spineless, clueless, and simpleminded main by actively pursuing, without hesitation, and bringing to fruition her desires with results. I hated the "harem end" though but the rest of the anime left me pretty satisfied so I got over it quickly. (Manga release speed is killing me though). It also feeds my curiosity of "gender-swapping on whim" that Ranma first had me question.

Another would be Ichinensei ni Nacchattara. Theirs nothing I dislike about it, I just like it way more then I would imagine. Of course it feeds that curiosity mentioned above (though I would say a "Detective Conan like alternative perspective" also bares equal significance in this case). But I would say, the overall simplicity the series is what wins me. "...even today, he's cutely trying his best!" Gives me a feeling of "retro". Of when when I was a kid and anime was as easy to get into from episode 7 as it would be at episode 1, with each episode/chapter feelings like a new adventure.

Add the Mai Otome manga, not the anime. Shut up! Yes yes, somewhat same reason, but more than that, I fell in love with the growth of the main and development of the art. (The only "Mai" I could bring myself to say I enjoyed, I mildly liked the Mai Hime manga though..)

Despite being "mostly" unlikable for me, he's honest with himself and his sexual desires, which got me over the stale progression of most everything in Morimo Sango for the last 4-5 volumes, I really like it. It's raw in it's approach of the nature it facilitates. I've become so enthralled in the story that I've grown to like the art.

Fumizuki Kou's works, such as Ai Yori Aoshi and Umi no Misaki. Despite the numerous cliches, he executes them well with interesting means and approaches. He focuses well on his strength and it shows.

I don't particularly find Honoka any bit interesting or original, but some these sentiments also spills into my feelings of Kagari a bit in Witch Craft Works. Though despite this I still find myself coming back to read it. I realize my love for the art and with magic being a romantic subject for me brings about bias favoritism. But their is something about the Kagari's personality that hits a sweet spot for me. I've never been into Yuki Nagato's or Tabitha's stoic personality before, but maybe Kagari's extrovertive, incessant, and humorously inflexible sides of her personality that leads her to pursues what she or what she perceives Honoka wants, all for the sake of her "stay glued to him" agenda, has brought about a crush.

If you can't tell yet, years of passive characters have had me grow to love even the slightest bit of assertiveness in the romantic manner. I can't really say there is a series that is really "inexplicable adored" for me, since I over analyze everything till I understand it to the most basic extent. These are just some random titles that bring up feelings/thoughts that I have not fully defined yet.
I really love Watashi no Messiah-sama and I don't know why. It's purely shounen. It recycles multiple materials. The art is fantastic though. But the plot was very straightforward with a few twists.

It's your typical manga. But I really really really liked it.
Negima. Clichés and Deus ex Machina out the fucking wazoo. Huge cast with many being nearly irrelevant, only to be shoe-horned in for a chapter or two in some semblance of significance. Generic. Typical.

Why do I love it.
Senki Zesshou Symphogear

Despite the cliche parts and the cheesy dialogue, I really enjoy this series and im looking forward to season 2 next season.