Bully Solutions, Which is Manly: Ignore or Fight?

Pages 12Next
Yes I am bullied, only through words though. It gets annoying sometimes that I want to punch their faces. Yet I am taught that ignoring them is better than fighting them, even though they get to assume even more that you're weaker than them.

Is it also considered bullying if you're friends with them, although the person itself who is being bullied considers their pestering as bullying, even though the friends see it as jokes?
HirogaX wrote...
Yes I am bullied, only through words though. It gets annoying sometimes that I want to punch their faces. Yet I am taught that ignoring them is better than fighting them, even though they get to assume even more that you're weaker than them.

Is it also considered bullying if you're friends with them, although the person itself who is being bullied considers their pestering as bullying, even though the friends see it as jokes?

answer to the title: third option talk it outover a drink(beer always helps) and if my answer doesn't help you should talk with some form of authority and if that doesn't work wither resort to violence and if you get into some sort of trouble tell them you've tried various options already and that it's their fault for not listening

and also, it is still bullying even if you're friends with them and you should tell them that isn't cool with you or like what I said above a beer or get an awesome beard to show off your manliness(blinds all evil and grabs the admiration of wise men)
Don't ignore it. Confront them with words, not your fists. Tell these people that it seriously bothers you and you'd appreciate it if they don't treat you like scum. Even if it's a joke by intention, good friends will hear you out if they're hurting you and stop. If they don't, then you're not with the right company.
If they're your friends then you should tell them thats annoying. Like hyphen said if they can't accept that then your best off with a new set of friends that appreciate you.
You should try to say something back if they're your friends, joke back with them and enjoy a nice laugh. If they're not your friends and just a couple of jerks, then just walk away until they find somebody else to put their problems on.
I would say ignore, but from my personal experience that doesn't work.

I used to be verbally bullied in middle school, but then I threatened one of the kids, got suspended for two days, and it never happened again.
Bullies want to invoke a response out of you so to fight them is to do what they want you to do. The manlier (Best) Option would be to ignore them because you aren't giving them what they want and that will drive them insane to the point that they will leave you alone.

Only time it's better to fight a bully is when the bully is picking on someone else.
1. 'Manliness', or 'masculinity' is a standard that is pointless. People should be free from the tyranny of gender roles and standards, and make choices for themselves that are right for them. Masculine or feminine are just words that have no practical or realistic meaning to real life.

2. In my experience, and in many experiences that I've heard of, it is best to stand up to a bully. While 'adults' always tout 'ignore them, they just want attention!' or 'kill them with kindness!' neither of these approaches are good for the bully OR the bullied. Being 'kind' to someone who treats you like shit only makes you look like a weak individual. It's not a good habit to develop.

Ignoring a bully only frustrates them. Typically, bullies are often victims themselves of violence or abuse, whether in the home from a parent or relative, or an outside person. It's a deflection mechanism - "I hurt, so if you hurt too I won't be alone in my misery."

Ignoring their behavior which is essentially a cry for help, only makes the bully feel more isolated and abandoned, fueling their violent nature as a coping mechanism for the crippling fear and pain inside. It makes the bully more likely to act out, to do worse or more violent things.

The best way to approach a bully is to stand your ground. Ultimately, bullies want to be dealt with. To be confronted and challenged - they need to feel acknowledged as a being. Underneath all the hate and cruelty is a person who is more likely than not suffering on levels you can't understand.

That being said, you are not to be 'gentle' with them. Without using your hands or feet or body in general, you have to make it clear that you absolutely will not tolerate being treated that way. Let the fear become anger for a moment, so that the inflection in your voice communicates a degree of dominance - you are asserting your body and mind as your domain, and not to be trespassed against.

Should the bully be unresponsive to your self-assertion, reach out to someone else who can help you deal with the bully more effectively. Worse comes to worst, contact the police and report an assault, or assault and battery.
It's not about being manly, it's about being smart. I fought back against bullies when I was younger (I beat the shit out of all of them) and eventually the whole school saw me as a bully. Just ignore them and do you best to avoid them, which is sadly easier said than done.
Call them names too. That's always a good laugh, spouting harsh words between one another. This goes double if you're friends with him. Just learn not to take things to heart. That is of course as long as the words aren't going too far. That's when you draw the line.
Lollikittie wrote...
1. 'Manliness', or 'masculinity' is a standard that is pointless. People should be free from the tyranny of gender roles and standards, and make choices for themselves that are right for them. Masculine or feminine are just words that have no practical or realistic meaning to real life.

I'm sorry but using words like practical and realistic in that kind of post is absurd. Pls don't deny the majority of people their views.
hyphen wrote...
Don't ignore it. Confront them with words, not your fists. Tell these people that it seriously bothers you and you'd appreciate it if they don't treat you like scum. Even if it's a joke by intention, good friends will hear you out if they're hurting you and stop. If they don't, then you're not with the right company.

Implying petty words will do anything or solve anything. Fighting is the only way to solve your problem rather than running away or ignoring it. However, there are consequences for your actions.
Edit: failed to read that you are not physically harmed
opanihuya wrote...
Lollikittie wrote...

I'm sorry but using words like practical and realistic in that kind of post is absurd. Pls don't deny the majority of people their views.

In what way does that deny anyone else their views? It's just a statement of opinion, if you disagree with it that's your problem.
Bill wrote...
opanihuya wrote...
Lollikittie wrote...

In what way does that deny anyone else their views? It's just a statement of opinion, if you disagree with it that's your problem.

Opinions change dude.
opanihuya wrote...
Bill wrote...
opanihuya wrote...
Lollikittie wrote...

Opinions change dude.

If an opinion is changed because of the statement it is due to the person who holds it agreeing with the thoughts of another and that is an act of free will, it is not forced and it is not denying them the ability to choose otherwise.
Bill wrote...
opanihuya wrote...
Bill wrote...
opanihuya wrote...
Lollikittie wrote...

Opinions change dude.

If an opinion is changed because of the statement it is due to the person who holds it agreeing with the thoughts of another and that is an act of free will, it is not forced and it is not denying them the ability to choose otherwise.

I agree. Regretfully that opinion lacked realism which is impractical.
opanihuya wrote...
Bill wrote...
opanihuya wrote...
Bill wrote...
opanihuya wrote...
Lollikittie wrote...

Opinions change dude.

I agree. Regretfully that opinion lacked realism which is unpractical.

I do agree with you on that, it is kind of silly to say that masculinity and feminism don't hold any real meaning to life when that is obviously not the case.
opanihuya wrote...

I agree. Regretfully that opinion lacked realism which is unpractical.

Because it's totally the best thing for people to adhere to the standards that society forces on them? Men not crying, women not living a life fulfilling their career dreams, and choosing to not get married or have a family? Really? That lacks 'realism'?

The question posed is "Is it manly to ignore or to fight a bully?". Determining your choice based on what society tells you you should be because of your sex is what's impractical, and unrealistic.

People should make choices based on what is right for them. What is practical for the moment.

If people went around thinking 'Gosh, I shouldn't do that, because I'm a guy!', the entirety of our world population would be fucking miserable.

My argument was that basing decisions based on what you think society tells you to do based on what's between your legs, is impractical, and in the case of violent situations, impractical and dangerous.

So no. :3 I literally have no idea why you said it was impractical, because it sure as hell wasn't.

Bill wrote...

I do agree with you on that, it is kind of silly to say that masculinity and feminism don't hold any real meaning to life when that is obviously not the case.

They don't. Not in a practical sense. Masculine or feminine in the grand scheme are standards that have no real merit. They 'mean something' because society has concocted gender roles - women are soft and nurturing, men are hardened and combative. Holding situations up to the light of 'masculine vs feminine' is stupid.

Be who you are, do what feels fucking right. But sorry, no, refusing to do something because it's what your sex 'shouldn't do', or doing something simply because 'you should' is a waste of a decision.
Spoiler:
Bill wrote...
opanihuya wrote...
Bill wrote...
opanihuya wrote...
Bill wrote...
opanihuya wrote...
Lollikittie wrote...

Opinions change dude.

I agree. Regretfully that opinion lacked realism which is impractical.

lol that was awesome dude

stopped editing

Lollikittie wrote...
Spoiler:
Because it's totally the best thing for people to adhere to the standards that society forces on them? Men not crying, women not living a life fulfilling their career dreams, and choosing to not get married or have a family? Really? That lacks 'realism'?

The question posed is "Is it manly to ignore or to fight a bully?". Determining your choice based on what society tells you you should be because of your sex is what's impractical, and unrealistic.

People should make choices based on what is right for them. What is practical for the moment.

If people went around thinking 'Gosh, I shouldn't do that, because I'm a guy!', the entirety of our world population would be fucking miserable.

My argument was that basing decisions based on what you think society tells you to do based on what's between your legs, is impractical, and in the case of violent situations, impractical and dangerous.

So no. :3 I literally have no idea why you said it was impractical, because it sure as hell wasn't.

I'm sorry but that's not enough to convince people to deny masculinity and femininity. That was my point. I actually like your idea, cause it's a bit related to my own views.
Lollikittie wrote...
Bill wrote...

They don't. Not in a practical sense. Masculine or feminine in the grand scheme are standards that have no real merit. They 'mean something' because society has concocted gender roles - women are soft and nurturing, men are hardened and combative. Holding situations up to the light of 'masculine vs feminine' is stupid.

Be who you are, do what feels fucking right. But sorry, no, refusing to do something because it's what your sex 'shouldn't do', or doing something simply because 'you should' is a waste of a decision.

In saying that you're almost denying the fact that there are strong differences in the genetic composition of males and females which heavily affect the way they act. Society didn't create gender roles, nature did and the workings of nature are entirely practical both in a specific and general sense.
Pages 12Next