So I watched "Love, Chunibyo, and Other Delusions".....

Pages 12Next
Yes, I was watching this show, when it got me thinking about my childhood. I used to be one of those kids with an overactive imagination, and a knack for "Being magical". I don't think I lost it, until high school, interestingly enough.

And you know what? I still play like that, 18 years old. But I do it for another purpose: writing literature. It gives me a perspective not easily seen by others.

Anyway, I want to know: Were you one of those 'Chunibyo'? Those kids that played out in their yard and picked up a long object to pretended to swordfight?

(A word exists for this: sciamachy; an imaginary fight.)
No, I never really played in the yard while pretending to fight dragons and minotaurs and stuff.
I never was really one to play with others, and playing with myself in that sense would get boring in 2 seconds flat.

I usually just drew shit or made things (e.g. marbles, tools, etc) act out scenarios in my imagination rather people.
(Note: I am never one to overact if it's only myself)
My childhood was like a large blur but it was an extreme case of that stuff. I would gather up every day with the rest of the kids in my neighborhood (we numbered roughly 14-15) of various ages ranging from middle school to high school-ers and we would build forts in the woods nearby and built like a mini-society. It was almost like Lord of the Flies except that we would all go home for dinner.
Me and my brother used to play an imaginary game of 1 up. It started out as playing Dragon Ball Z. We ended up with our own stable of heroes(we took on the role of our heroes as well as any of the thousands of innocent bystanders that got murdered every day) and separate dimensions. In our own dimensions, and every one in between, we had unlimited power. However if we could trick each other, or our heroes, into our owned dimensions we could do whatever we wanted.

We usually had enough respect to not kill each other or our heroes and often let each other go. I also attempt writing literature now he does not.
Yeah, as a kid, I'd take break off bamboo stalks from the neighbor's yard (So mischievious!) and then fight my also Chunibyo friend like it was the matrix. We'd imagine they were staves with elemental power and we were fighting in a post apocalyptic world. We travel through different pockets of space-time areas in constant rivalry.
I used to swordfight all the time with my brother with pool noodles.
devsonfire 3,000,000th Poster
Well, I don't really imagine myself to have such super powers. I imagine myself as a soldier fighting an endless war with many enemies and that's why I used to have plenty of water guns and Nerf guns.
Sneakyone wrote...
I used to swordfight all the time with my brother with pool noodles.

This.

Also when I was a lot younger, like in elementary school, my neighbors, my brother, and I would play Power Rangers in my neighbors' front yard. We'd pretend this one big rock was Zordon and we'd act out fights and stuff. They had a big hill and we'd roll down it for dramatic effect after getting hit, etc. lol
I'd play around with my cousins sometimes. I remember I was subscribed to the english language version of Shonen Jump, so I thought Silva from Shaman King was the coolest guy ever. So I was like "hah im silvia" but Silvia was that one girl from Viewtiful Joe so they laughed at me.

But other than that I played mainly video games after that. Paper Mario was far better than pretending I was a Native American guy.
I still am a chuunibyou even now. But I get to work with things that parallel and basically are superpowers.

Plus, as a writer/composer, it helps to be a chuunibyou. Inspiration, thought process, etc. Are augmented by chuunibyouness

I don't care what you say, I have my freakin special abilities
Forum Image: http://i1.pixiv.net/img27/img/habekabe12/mobile/38080357_480mw.jpg
SneeakyAsian wrote...
I still am a chuunibyou even now. But I get to work with things that parallel and basically are superpowers.

Plus, as a writer/composer, it helps to be a chuunibyou. Inspiration, thought process, etc. Are augmented by chuunibyouness

I'm honestly am glad I'm not the only one.
Does fighting random kids with a lightsaber in the park count?
Huh...I'd say I used to play a lot using my imagination...heavily. As a kid, I used to do pretend sword/gun fights (Power rangers and TMNT comes to mind) with friends and by myself. Hell, I pretend that pens of various makes are starships fighting some massive conflict.

I'm not as, uh, active in such imaginative activities nowadays, though I still occasionally play around with my anime figures, gunpla, airsoft guns, bokuto, etc., even at my age. xD
Foreground Eclipse wrote...
Does fighting random kids with a lightsaber in the park count?

Hell yes it does, I've even done it with a fully grown adult once. I was walking down the street with a couple friends and suddenly came across this guy. We glanced at each other and then bust out fighting.
Forum Image: http://i2.pixiv.net/img14/img/pix123/mobile/11777495_480mw.jpg
It was much wierder considering we didn't actually have lightsabers. Plus he turned out to be the ceramics teacher at my school. Still was pretty freaking awesome.
SneeakyAsian wrote...
Hell yes it does, I've even done it with a fully grown adult once. I was walking down the street with a couple friends and suddenly came across this guy. We glanced at each other and then bust out fighting.

I'll have to remember to have me and my friend duke it out with a lightsaber battle in the middle of a crowded park.
Sneakyone wrote...
pool noodles.

Poodle noodles*
Fuck, I don't remember mine.

A fucking korean hit my head with a rock so I don't remember much about when I was a kid.

What I do remember is just normally playing around but nothing that requires much imagination.

Other than that I just played video games.

Guess I was never a chuunibyou.
Now that I think of it, my chuunibyouness is kinda a problem. I find myself going[color=#9D0A0A]PEW PEW[/color] in the shower sometimes. That and I made a Marx generator that I can strap to my back and discharge out my hands.

Marx generator: a very clever way of charging and discharging capacitors such that the output voltage is a multiple of the input voltage.AKA Lightning generator
Had quite the imagination when I was a child, active. As time went by I became less and less sociable, slowly receding into myself.
I used to be the energetic little twerp running outside, fighting off imaginary superheroes and villains (depending on the week), trying to 'live off the ground' so to speak and etc.

I eventually withdrew into myself until the last year of high school/early college when I decided to be more open, slightly crazy and all around happy guy. I blame Steins;Gate for that.

While my immediate family may disagree with me, it's been rather beneficial towards my writing and acting, so I probably will continue acting as such until I decide otherwise.
Pages 12Next