Socioty

Has our (your) socioty become too sensitive or too uncaring?

Total Votes : 28
I think socioty has become sensitive and way too politically correct. People are so easily offended, the news makes news out of things that shouldn't be news, people won't say what they really think because they might be shot down for racism/homophobia/etc...(Someone would not describe a person as black since they thought it might sound racist), nursery rhymes being changed to have have happier endings(Humpty Dumpty) or not sound racist (Bah bah rainbow sheep), blah blah blah.

I think people should cool down and grow some skin.
Normally it helps, in SD, if you can spell the main subject matter correctly.
Gravity cat the adequately amused
BagMan wrote...

Any wonder it got moved to Random?

But OP does have a point. Seems like you can't take a dump without health and safety crawling all over it. In fact overly sensitive H&S was the reason we couldn't have many school trips when I was in school, way too much paperwork for the teachers and the consequences if things did go tits up were far too severe.

I have other examples but I'm too lazy to remember them.
Gravity cat wrote...
BagMan wrote...

Any wonder it got moved to Random?

But OP does have a point. Seems like you can't take a dump without health and safety crawling all over it. In fact overly sensitive H&S was the reason we couldn't have many school trips when I was in school, way too much paperwork for the teachers and the consequences if things did go tits up were far too severe.

I have other examples but I'm too lazy to remember them.

I feel that quite often Health and Safety is justified, although there are occasions where it will go too far and impede on peoples freedom, but such is pretty much the same with most enforcement of anything; you will always get jobsworths.

When it comes to feeling you have to be politically correct about race and homophobia, however, I don't agree. Maybe it's because I live in an extremely multicultural city but I've never really had problems being thought of as racist if I referred to someone as gay or black and I feel unless there is some malicious intent behind the words it shouldn't be misconstrued.
animefreak_usa Child of Samael
Foreground Eclipse wrote...
*Fuck Society

BagMan wrote...

Normally it helps, in SD, if you answer the main subject matter instead of acting like a spell checker.

In responce to your second post, you don't have to have any malicious meaning to offend others with your point of view. Example: "I don't think muslims should wear veils in stores because they can get away with shoplifting easier." Reasonable, still offends any (not all ofcourse) muslims in earshot.
I don't want a uncaring society but ever since 9/11 I think we became to sensitive I mean it was one of the worst death tolls in american history but still
Drifter995 Neko//Night
Narchy wrote...
BagMan wrote...

Normally it helps, in SD, if you answer the main subject matter instead of acting like a spell checker.

This ain't SD, chump. Learn how to spell properly, and make a better thread/ description if you want to make a thread in sd.
Optional extra: bring religion into it in any way shape or form.
I don't think so, every generation has it's own style of "Society" and of course, assholes, we just have more technology now so we can see more of them.
BagMan wrote...

If you have any reasonable amount of intelligence, you should be able to overlook spelling and grammatical errors, without being a dick.

The fact of the matter is that institutionalized schools are more concerned with "safety" than education. I'm not saying the two concerns don't overlap, but it seems that educational institutions are more concerned about preventing lawsuits than teaching their students what goes on in the world beyond their safe, controlled environments.

The world is chaotic and you have to be prepared for all kinds of shit. I don't know if there are any schools that will prepare you to be beaten down in an alley by people with knives or guns. The best you can do is survive, but that isn't something that can be taught.

Clearly, I went off topic, but I think I made a point.
Fruid Lurker of Threads
How the fuck do you spell desensitized correctly, but not spell society correctly is beyond me. And no, misspelling it on purpose will not make the reader more sympathetic to your argument. It makes the reader think you are incompetent.

Anyway, we live in an age where you can do a quick query (search engine request) for everything from tying your shoes to general relativity. I would hope that as a society we become more concise in our communication; so that we may detail and create ideas on a larger scale than currently.
Damoz ~Not A User~
> Can't spell

When you have a society full of idiots and "fear mongers" this is what you get. Its time to move on unless you can do something about it. People are bored and undereducated thus this kind of thing is rampant and will only get worse as time goes by.

Hence why i am the way i am. I can only laugh at it because there is nothing else to do about it. And my only solution involves mass murder~
SneeakyAsian CTFG Vanguard
I believe that society has turned to what it is now because of new communication technologies. With things like the internet, things that are looked down upon come to light and things that aren't really controversial are thrown to the public to rant about.
Mysterious clam wrote...
I don't want a uncaring society but ever since 9/11 I think we became to sensitive I mean it was one of the worst death tolls in american history but still

I'd say a "yes/no" to this... Take a look at Fox then. Their fear mongering that "...everyone from the middle east was coming to kill their audience because they hate freedom and they hate Christians", agrees with the "paranoia and sensitivity towards hostility towards themselves" part, but sensitivity didn't grow for anyone other than themselves and the people they (Fox and it's audience) only care for...

OT: Let me direct you to an interesting article I read last night, very interesting. Things haven't changed anymore so than in the days of yesteryear. There are rises and falls of collective moods and opinions, but people are always sensitive when someone questions their beliefs. Everyone wants validation, no one wants to be "wrong".

Honestly, I'd prefer it being a social taboo than a federal taboo to be grammatically insensitive, that way I can reflect on what I've done and properly apologies for the things that I said, which must have hurt others, as oppose to serving time as the apology. And as a social taboo, I very much applaud people taking it into their own hands to reach a level of social acceptance as opposed to judgements based of stereotypes and characterchures. While I admit, some people take it to far, it's not without good reason. I can bring myself to understand why they think that way, I just don't agree to their extent, feeling that they are ill informed or basing their opinions too much in their emotions.

I also never heard of anyone trying to change nursery rimes, this is news to me.

The only time I get really annoyed is when over sensitivity actually does damage to a community. Such as...
-Parents (seems to mostly be mothers though) who equate videogames to child misbehavior (because their obviously doing a great job) which leads to actions that impede or even hurt the video game communities.
-Overly sensitive videogamers who refuse to allow a discussion of gender roles in games, or video game ceo who fear for their products, insisting on the relegation of females out of the view of their male consumers.
-Actions made by a people, who are not getting everything they want, so they misbehave and blame it on everyone else who wouldn't give them what they want once it causes problems... Honestly believing that everyone but themselves are responsible for their actions... >_>
Narchy wrote...
BagMan wrote...

I love it when people get corrected on a word/sentence, and then get mad at the person who corrected them.
Its like they're overly sensitive or something!
Everyone wants something they cant have. and it destroys nation.
Foreground Eclipse wrote...
*Society