Your opinions on the death penalty

Are you against the death penalty?

Total Votes : 236
[size=12][/h]i am for the death penalty...o.k. here goes people, i work for a company that has a contract with the b.o.p.(Federal Bureau of Prisons).almost everyday for the last nine years i have dealt with, talked to,helped and fed murders,rapists, child molesters,drug dealers, ect...i am required by law not to have a biased opinion and i don't.
my personal beliefs are "harm ye none, do what ye will", having said that only about 20-25% of the people actually change for the betterment of themselves and others while another 25% want to but cant make the change having become accustomed to life in prison...i see people here say rehabilitate and cure...how easy do you think it is to change when you are in a place where you risk being beaten, raped, tortured, bullied and killed...it is not. very few actually reform themselves.
about 20% of these criminals manage to slip the cracks and make it back to the streets while the other 40% get caught go back to prison then end up back to my job...i have seen many come two,three even four times...while i am not saying people cant change, it is sometimes unlikely in this life.
many of my family members and friends have been raped or molested, a lot of my friends and a few of my cousins have been murdered trust me when i say that the pain does not go away if the death penalty is enforced or not,but, here where i live(we were once the murder capital of the u.s.a.) it would go far in ensuring the safety of the people here.
the way i see life is we all have had many chances on this plane known as earth, many incarnations that we have all been good bad or other...so to me, even if they receive the death penalty they (and we) will have many more chances for their souls to reform over trial and error and many hard lessons to learn and fail and succeed in as we grow...
if my view offends you apologies..and thank you for reading.blessed be.
So long as there is even a fraction of a chance that you may wrongfully take the life of an innocent person, capital punishment is completely unacceptable.

You can always release and compensate a person wrongfully convicted and incarcerated. But you can't bring them back to life if you've killed them.

Besides, if murder is always wrong, why is it somehow right when the state does it? Killing is killing.
I think " acceptable losses" is a thing, I would rather say "look were sorry we executed your husband/child/etc." Than "we are sorry we let the murderer go off and kill 20 people when we could have just ended his life right there."
Charleswindfrey wrote...
I think " acceptable losses" is a thing, I would rather say "look were sorry we executed your husband/child/etc." Than "we are sorry we let the murderer go off and kill 20 people when we could have just ended his life right there."

And I think the idea of "acceptable losses" is bullshit. One innocent person wrongly condemned is one too many. A simple apology won't change the fact that you killed an innocent person, which makes you just as much of a murderer as the ones you claim to want to stop.

Besides, you're acting as though people are just going to let murderers go free if they can't kill them. The prison system exists for a reason, you know. No man is dangerous when humbled by chains.
I guess, it depends on how high the justice system is. If they executed an innocent person. That won't really make the death penalty effective.
Lawyers does make a difference...
We can't engineer genius babies. We're never getting our hoverboards. And perhaps most dispiritingly of all, we haven't figured out a way to cheat death. For some reason though we can make death come sooner than it should.

Sucide, Capital Punishment Death penalty, the favorite method described by, "I did not know, I did not mean too, or I did not see that," and one more thing, "Societies Laws" are the killers we cannot rid ourselves of in the human society.

Let's take a view of two timelines

A. You go to bed that night with your newborn baby and his father, and when the sun rises, you get to view the feline species, licking its bloody jaw and the remains of your babies corpse.

B. The feline species does not come in the night. The daddy stayed with you even after the child was born, then one hunting expidetion he did not return, you have no idea of what happened to him. Several weeks later another adult human male shows up, feeds you, then bashes your babies brains out on a rock and proceeds to rape you every night. You get food, and you get raped, oh, and you get pregnant again.

I am not giving you a non-violent way out, there is no pretty end to this story, it is not told in the realm of Hollywood storytelling. We die, and we kill to live, there is no non-violence in our lives. Non-Violence is infact the most violent of all our choices. Killing our fellow humans is natural for us, and untill you get to God, Morality and want to become more than what we are do we realize what our mortality is for and for some reason we do not want to face the answer. Thus church's bloom, and religions grow and always seem to be vital to our lives, even if we do not believe in a god or gods.

"Live and let live," attitude only works on a full belly, and both parties have to have a full belly. And then a full belly only lasts for hours, as your life is measured in time, too long on an empty belly is death. One hundred and twenty years of life only a promise. The reality is far from non violent or non brutal and a second of life can last far longer than our measure of it.

In example A, you hunt down the critter and kill it. Vengence? or a better chance for your next baby to live?

In example B, you kill the rapist? or do you imagine a better world? one with Laws, and punishments. Everyone wants a sterile solution of non violent Lawful Society, and our full bellies all hours of the day. We are on a timer with our full bellies and will want to be filled again when empty.

What was the answer we did not want to face? I already told you.

And the answer to the death penality? Is Vengence better?
Raikadashi wrote...
Death penalty is just a waste of life. I would not take a life if there was nothing to gain from his/her death. Criminals should just go to jail and be put to some service. Get something out of his life. Putting criminals to work is neither unconstitutional or inhumane, and you actually get something out his life. To me, death as a punishment is such a waste. Profit = gain. Gain = good.
its a deterrent basically to put fear into others although the messege has been derailed its become less of a "don't do the crime" and more of a "don't get caught"
Human civilization has had the death penalty since Hammerabi. And it has worked out pretty well so far.
Xillia Full Time Waifu.
I'm not an American, but a neighbour from up North, so we're against execution.

I don't see the use in fighting fire with fire. We strongly believe in the value of human life. It honestly just takes away more lives and will hurt a close one to that person, not to meantion that it's expensive. Up here, we just give them life in prison, and rehabilitation. I see it as a possible learning oppertunity and a chance to turn your life around for the better one last time.

Most of this opinion came from religion, where we watched "Dead Man Walking" based on Matthew Poncelet. He had murdered two people with his partner and was sentanced to death by lethal injection. But by the end, he learned to recognize his mistakes rather than deny them and made peace with everybody around him, including the parents of the victims.
No I don't think it is okay
I like the death penalty, but it should not be handed down as an execution by the state. Rather, the loved ones of those who have been affected should be allowed to public torture said murderer, etc, and the family who was affected the most should be allowed to put them to death.

I don't feel like it's correct to give the punishment to the hands of someone not involved, such is the normal standpoint of law enforcement, in that they usually don't have anything to do with the perpetrator personally.
Just an interesting video about the topic. He has a lot of good points and his tone is really nice. His choice of words are also kinda cute. It mostly starts at the 2nd minute and 30th second.
Spoiler:
[youtube]http://youtu.be/Kye2oX-b39E.*?[/youtube]
I use to be for it, but I'm neutral as I believe it should be reserved for those who are a hundred percent proven guilty.
I'm against it, and no I'm not religious. I simply believe that the death penalty is not justice but state-sponsored vengeance. Some may say that vengeance for the sake of justice is justice itself, but I find the two concepts contradicting each other. Of course, there ARE cases out there where the perp is such a fiend that even I somehow wished they would die messily, maybe due to some unfortunate 'accident' in prison if not at the hands of the executioner.

Sentencing the perp to life imprisonment in such a way that said perp will never leave the slammer until the day they die looks like a more viable alternative. Someone said killing the perp is the easy way out for them, well then keep them in solitary for the rest of their lives, see how they endure before going truly mad.
No! Again and again, we have seen, all around the world, that the death penalty is NEVER administered fairly!

Look, I am as much into OUTRAGE as anyone. There was this story only a few days ago about a Marine in the Philippines that drowned a young woman in a toilet simply because she was transgender. My reaction was, "Shit! Life in front of a firing squad for this asshole!"

But rage and emotion are not a replacement for justice. I understand anger and rage. But:

“Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement.”

†• J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
[size=10]Death penalty should be enforced for heinous acts. Why wait for some pedo to kill 4-5 children before he's tried for actual death penalty?[/h]
I think that some people deserve the death for their crimes but capital punishment is too costly for the most part. The only reason worth supporting the death penalty is if it has a deterrent effect which it may. There have been some studies that suggest it but I don't think there's been enough evidence to prove or disprove that there is a deterrence effect.

http://deathpenalty.procon.org/sourcefiles/Issac%20Ehrlich%20The%20Deterrent%20Effect%20of%20Capital%20Punishment%20A%20Question%20of%20Life%20and%20Death.pdf

http://www.cjlf.org/deathpenalty/DezRubShepDeterFinal.pdf

Gary Becker has some good things to say on the subject:

http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/2005/12/more-on-the-economics-of-capital-punishment-becker.html

http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/2005/12/further-comments-on-capital-punishment-becker.html
Summer Salt @rotoscopic
A nice alternative to a life sentence when you don't feel like using taxpayer money to keep someone in confinement for the rest of their days. In favor.
Xillia Full Time Waifu.
LoliCreamPie wrote...
I like the death penalty, but it should not be handed down as an execution by the state. Rather, the loved ones of those who have been affected should be allowed to public torture said murderer, etc, and the family who was affected the most should be allowed to put them to death.

I don't feel like it's correct to give the punishment to the hands of someone not involved, such is the normal standpoint of law enforcement, in that they usually don't have anything to do with the perpetrator personally.

I don't really know about you, but I don't feel that I would be able to live with myself killing another individual. Even if they did steal the life of a loved one away from me.
Xillia wrote...
I don't really know about you, but I don't feel that I would be able to live with myself killing another individual. Even if they did steal the life of a loved one away from me.

TL;DR also
Spoiler:
It's not about killing the person myself, obviously. It's about allowing families who have been devastated by the actions of these monsters the opportunity to retaliate - nothing bad will come of them choosing to forego killing the murderer (I hope) but I believe that those families at least deserve the choice.

It's more about principle, if they take something precious from you, you should be allowed to do the same... Regardless, justice will never be served, because one case, the family will not have been able to hand the punishment themselves, or the person that they were allowed to kill because that person murdered their family member/relative would have relatives that would mourn their death.

Essentially, no system is going to make everyone happy, and no system is truly just. But I think that people who've suffered at the hands of others should be allowed to retaliate.