Illegal Miscarriages?

I'm going to summarize an article I read.
Source: http://www.rhrealitycheck.org/blog/2010/02/19/utah-passes-bill-that-charges-women-for-illegal-abortion-or-miscarriage

The state of Utah outlawed a woman intentionally trying to miscarriage about two weeks ago. This suit came about because a seventeen year old girl paid a man $150.00 to beat her to induce a miscarriage. Obviously she was desperate and her sanity could be questioned.

Utah's notorious for being a bit different regarding topics of this nature than the other states. Probably could attest it to the deep Mormom roots the state has. If it's not that, I quickly apologize. No intention whatsoever to insult anyone in any fashion. Just want debating.

Supposedly it's commonplace to make it illegal for the woman to have someone else help her miscarriage. Here, the word 'miscarriage' differs from 'abortion'. An 'induced miscarriage' is done without a doctor; an 'abortion' with one.

This law potentially can wreak havoc on the psyche of a pregnant woman. For example, a pregnant woman who falls down the stairs could be charged with attempted murder with this law.

Ridiculous, no?

Discuss. Please? :)
Memories of high school. several friends of mine 'accidentaly' fell down the stairs. i don't see how it's anyone(govt., church,etc.) else's business.
I really don't understand how they will enforce that. Watch every women and see if she "accidently falls on her stomach."

Oops.
This is just plain stupid. It's like saying "no masturbation, no blowjobs, no condomes - all that cum might have become a child!"
Lamz0r wrote...
This is just plain stupid. It's like saying "no masturbation, no blowjobs, no condomes - all that cum might have become a child!"

God will SMITE you for wasting his precious seeds!! :P

I think the law makes perfect sense, since you made the distinction your self, that the abortion is without a doctor, and therefor hurting both mother and child (obviously the child..).

I think it is one of those laws that are handy to have in certain situations, but it won't be enforced that often. It is like they almost never prosecute killing when it was self defense, even though they did actually kill someone so there should be a trail.
Brittany FAKKU Production Mngr
I think if it weren't so difficult for women to obtain abortions due to pro life activists, they wouldn't have to submit themselves to back alley abortions.

And no, I'm not trolling - that's really how I feel.
Ziggy wrote...
I think if it weren't so difficult for women to obtain abortions due to pro life activists, they wouldn't have to submit themselves to back alley abortions.

I will start by saying that I am pro abortion, or maybe more precisely, the womans right to choose.
I believe that it is legal to have an abortion for medical reasons (mothers health at risk) pretty much in all countries, even the most conservative ones. Therefor there are NEVER a good reason to have a "back alley abortion". Having the child can of cause have an economical and social negative impact on the womans life, but she never HAVE to have an abortion done by someone not certified to do so. It is always a possibility to put the baby up for adoption after birth
You have your individual rights do what you feel free to do within limits of your health and the law. Laws can and will be changed. Some of these so-call law makers are two face. If their child has this problem they would do everything possible against their own beliefs to protect that child.

Do what yopu can to protect yourself, within reason.
jenslyn wrote...

God will SMITE you for wasting his precious seeds!! :P

it is utah. CLDS pretty much runs the state. all the beer there is only 2% alc.
That is why god gave man so many ways of producing his own liquor :D

2%! Is it even possible to drink beer that thin?
Ziggy wrote...

Throwing this out there. I can't find a solid position on Abortion, I feel guilty/uneasy no matter what position I take.

I don't like the government telling people what they can do with their bodies but, at the same time I don't like the idea of a potential life being ended. The idea of using an abortion as birth control is rather sickening when there are much better alternatives out there. I think trying to find a position on abortion will probably be the reason I end up in a padded room and on a heavy regiment of medications.

Okay, on topic

I think the law is vague and is pretty terribly constructed. As the OP pointed out a pregnant woman who has an accident can potentially be charged with murder. It's asinine to throw a woman in jail for such an accident. I think the murder charge should apply to those who assist in these induced miscarriages instead of the woman herself. If she had tried to induce a miscarriage then she should be tried for murder. Leave the abortions to the doctors.

Woman tried to induce miscarriage = Jail
Someone helps woman induce miscarriage = Jail
Woman gets abortion = donate the fetus, stem cells or whatever.
A friend of mine went to school in utah, he had to drive to wyoming to get real beer.
A while back, I read a small part of a book entitled Cunt from a female friend of mine. The part I read explained that a woman can will herself to have a miscarriage if she is pregnant and doesn't want the child. This information could be useful (so the book said) because a miscarriage is natural, whereas an abortion can be a very painful event, emotionally. The book described how you could tell your body to dispel the egg or whatever; you wouldn't physically hurt yourself at all. It was all mental.

When I think of that type of miscarriage, I have no problem. It's perfectly fine to tell your body that you don't want the not-quite-baby, since it hasn't really started developing yet. But when I hear about a girl paying a man to beat her up so she'll have a miscarriage, that seems very, very wrong. It seems like it should be illegal. But maybe it's the beating that should be illegal, not the miscarriage part. As for purposefully falling down stairs so you'll miscarry, I have no idea. It seems wrong, but a girl that does it risks greatly injuring herself, so maybe that's why it seems wrong.

All that aside, as Ziggy said, if abortions are easier to get, then that sort of self-inflicted violence won't happen as often. And that's one of the reasons I'm for legalizing abortion, because people are going to keep getting them. It's better to offer a safe way than let them throw themselves down stairs.
Utah is pretty weird. But then again, highest concentration of Mormons...

Spoiler:

J/K. I have relatives who are Mormon. Very nice, respectful/respectable people.

But seriously, this is conservatism gone far too far. Aside from the baseline prohibition against abortions, this law invites too much gray area into something that should be a black-and-white issue about an individual's control over her body.

Sigh...

That big goose-egg Utah got from the Brady Bunch isn't very impressive anymore.
Well i don't condone abortion cause you are killing a life which could be the new Einstien, yet miscarriage is really a different thing. In the miscarriage is a process of giving birth before the baby is fully develop to survive.

In this case, the abortion is killing the unborn baby and miscarriage is accidental birth of the baby or the fetus during a premature timing. Abortion is a crime and miscarriage is not a crime. Law should be impose to those who do abortion, and those who do plan to a have a miscarriages not accidental miscarriage.

Abortion and miscarriages is really two different thing.
Supposedly, one of the 8th grade girls in my brothers middle school got pregnant.