Racism

Pages Prev12345
You can say you're proud to be Black
You can say you're proud to be Hispanic
You can say you're proud to be Asian
But the moment we say that we am proud to be white, suddenly people look at us as though we are nazis of the KKK or something of the sort.
NutritiousGoop wrote...

I would guess it is mainly because of the history between the different skin colors. White man used to rule, at some point during the history, almost every other 'race'. And even when everybody became equal in the eyes of the law, there was huge amounts of racism, and blacks, hispanics and asians realistically suffered because of it.

They didn't get the same job opportunities as whites did, they weren't treated the same as whites were, they couldn't rise up in the society as easily as whites could. And that is part of why some people think that it can be a matter of pride to achieve almost anything if you are not white. Meaning that other 'races' had to go through more obstacles than whites did, even though they both tried to achieve the same thing.

Of coarse it is not as bad today as it used to be or hardly is at all, and there are some areas now where the situation is in reverse, but people still reflect on history and draw a sense of 'respect' and identity from what their parents and grand parents had to go through.
Misaki_Chi Fakku Nurse
Coconutt wrote...
....but people still reflect on history and draw a sense of 'respect' and identity from what their parents and grand parents had to go through.

Sort of felt like personally continuing on with the whole 'respect' thing; not debating you lol.

Respect and pride for your culture, ethnicity, and race is different from feeling that one race is superior to another. I feel like people take this too far sometimes which can lead to prejudice.

I remember there was a kid a long time ago who would pick on me calling me a white bitch or a white cracker. I was getting really pissed off by it and asked him one day why he was so cruel and his response was that he thought that all white people should suffer just like his forefathers...

I also remember that my grandparents were pretty prejudiced. They use to throw the "N" word around and would say some pretty nasty things. I would ask my parents why they did this and they use to say that this is the stubbornness of the old generation; that I should never repeat their mistakes. Use to make me sad to hear my grandparents say such awful things about people they didn't even know.

This in turn made me question why it was okay for some people to say nigger and other's couldn't. To me just don't use the word if it means something bad. I don't see cunt as a good word to ever use and would never want to see it become a good word. Everyone's different on it, but even when I see it being used in a nonchalant way, all I can think to myself it just how terrible the word can be if used poorly (which in most cases is usually the matter).

I look back at history and think that any form of cruelty forced upon another is wrong, but I won't take what happened before my time and put it on others. I like people for who they are, not what they are; I look for people with that same mindset.

Basically racism is a form of hatred and hatred can in turn lead to nothing good. You just have to learn to be the bigger person through all of this and learn to forgive (you don't have to forget, but that doesn't mean you have to carry the grudge) and learn to respect where you can.

Spoiler:
Note: I don't know if I'll respond much to this subject, I'm not very comfortable with the whole racism subject because this isn't how my mind functions. I really don't see people as a what, I just like people for being people. One part of me can understand because it's natural to feel spite towards others who make you feel inadequate for something that is apart of you. The other part of me doesn't understand because I'm not one to hold onto hatred. I am who I am and I just take life a day at at time; I do my best not to hold onto grudges and will do better for myself and others.
If you ask me the topics are kinda one and the same. I mean lets be real most if not all elite business men are racist because of the culture and era they were raised in, so while some might've agree with sterling they just weren't stupid enough to believe that in this era of FaceBook,Twitter and the like that he wouldn't get caught up.
However make no mistake the reason Sterling was banned and the Clippers sold was because as Triple H says every week on Raw it was best for business, not out of any kind of racial sympathy. In truth and I realize this might be a bit off topic you're seeing a similar thing going on in the NFL due to the whole Ray Rice incident.

As for the whole topic of what blacks can and can't say racially or rather the double standard I again say that much like with Sterling its a cultural thing that is accepted by society because no one really wants to really get into the issue of race in America because it would mean facing truths that would shatter the image of this country, and that's why these topics are similar they both are products of the real issues America's inability to deal with the real issues behind racism which is the lack of cultural understanding by those in power.
Racism is a form of hatred, and hatred is in all angles, UGLY. It's not easy to accept someone who looks different from you but people, it's 2014. We've been living in the Global Village for years by now and yet it's hard to believe how some people are still unable to look people of other races straight in the eye.

I get a lot of stares during seminar sessions when I speak up as it's uncommon to see 'Chinks' doing anything other than taking notes (despite the fact that I'm a mixed Korean). People here in the UK seem to have a long way to go before they accept people of other races for who they are, not what they look like.
There's nothing wrong with saying you're proud to be white. I have friends who say that all the time. Of course, I reserve my right to poke fun at taking pride in something so shallow as the color of one's skin...

Honestly though, real racism, the racism that really cuts deep, isn't necessarily the words. It's the attitudes and actions.

It's an unfortunate reality, but it is the reality. People can rail all they want, but it's going to be a slow process to change hearts and minds. People are fast to make generalizations, judgments, and pigeonhole; it's terrible, but it's unfortunately practically necessary. We make judgments and generalize about things all the time to try to simply things and better understand the world around us.
That there's such an obvious category to use based on the color of one's skin and the facial features as well as the cultural and historical underpinnings... racism's pretty much inevitable. The best we can do is to conscious of ourselves and stand up against injustice when we see it within or without. Other than that... we should let time do the work.
AnimeKid4312 wrote...
As for the whole topic of what blacks can and can't say racially or rather the double standard I again say that much like with Sterling its a cultural thing that is accepted by society because no one really wants to really get into the issue of race in America because it would mean facing truths that would shatter the image of this country, and that's why these topics are similar they both are products of the real issues America's inability to deal with the real issues behind racism which is the lack of cultural understanding by those in power.

Cultural understanding? Of what exactly?

pspkiller626 wrote...
I get a lot of stares during seminar sessions when I speak up as it's uncommon to see 'Chinks' doing anything other than taking notes (despite the fact that I'm a mixed Korean). People here in the UK seem to have a long way to go before they accept people of other races for who they are, not what they look like.

People tend to take notice of things they have never seen before or don't see very often doesn't mean they hate you.

FSN wrote...
It's an unfortunate reality, but it is the reality.

Racism is reality? So we are all racists? Or most of us or a majority? World as a whole? Country in particular? Specific continent is predominantly racist? Certain races are racist? When you say reality what do you specifically mean?
Pages Prev12345