Torrents?

Pages 12Next
Yeah. Although i'm an elite at the Forums, i'm still a noob to gadgets, downloads and others. And the torrent is one of those gadgets. So i've gotta ask.

What is the Torrent? What is it for? What are Torrent Files? And how do you install and make the torrent work and download stuff?!
ok i think prolly the easyest way to explain a torrent is this. you ever use limewire? think of torrent as a safe limewire download. but instead of dling a song at a time(or vid) you can download whole albums at once.

to make it work go to bittorrent.com(i think) and download bittorrent. its free. then go to google and just google whatever your looking for +torrent. ex. bleach ep. 1 torrent
Tsujoi Social Media Manager
I'll give you some places you can use to search for torrents.

Remember, download the torrent file, open the file with with bittorrent.

isohunt.com
thepiratebay.org
boxtorrents.com
demonoid.com
baka-updates.com
anime-source.com
one thing ive noticed is that alot of video files ive gotten thru torrents are .mkv files. so i had to go dl the vlc media player to play em cause real and wmp wont play em. im not sure of the exact site it was but if you just google it youll prolly find what youneed.
Tsujoi Social Media Manager
or you can just install the cccp codec pack to play .mkv and other files in wmp.

http://www.cccp-project.net/
Waar FAKKU Moderator
bitcomet is the client i think they were referring to.
A torrent is basically a large file being shared over a network. Essentially, when a torrent client opens a torrent file, it receives directions as to where to download from and to from a list of a trackers.

The file itself is split into small chunks, sent to your client, and pieced together. Once a file has hit 100% downloading, it's workable. It's best when downloading full anime seasons, since you can manipulate download priority and encourage chunks of certain episodes to be downloaded first.

I'd recommend uTorrent, not bitcomet. It's fairly small, doesn't eat system resources, and if you access it's "About uTorrent" file in the help menu and press t, it starts a game of Tetris.
(This might not be totally correct, but it's close enough)
Torrents are a way of connecting with peers to download files. There is no dedicated site to where the file is uploaded. A person will make a torrent file which is uploaded.
The torrent file has a tracker so that when you download the file, your computer can find the person that uploaded it, and download from them.
That's the best way i can explain it.

Many people use different programs and sites for torrents, but it's relatively all the same.
The program i use is uTorrent; I find it easy to use.
The website i use is mininova.com. This is the best site i have come across that doesn't require an upload ratio. youtorrent.com used to be good, but that has died.

Remember when choosing a torrent to download, you should read comments to see if it really is what you are looking for. You will learn over time the names of the good uploaders.
I personally use Azureus and haven't had a problem with it. So there's another client for you.
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

To be exact...
Torrents are metadata files, fools! A torrent file just tells a torrent application details like file names, sizes and where to find a list of people who have this torrent and the files [and other stuff like hashes and piece size, etc]. From there, your torrent client talks to the other clients, asks a few questions and starts download off the other torrent client.

Often it's better to have a torrent with a lot of 'seeds' which are people hosting the files, or pieces of the files on the same torrent in their torrent client. You'll be 'leeching' for a while, then you'll start to seed to other people who are downloading.

Once the files have downloaded, leave your torrent client open for a bit so that other people can download off you.

It's fairly safe. I also recommend uTorrent for Windows users.
I'm downloading fate/stay night(the game) and you know how long it takes?

Spoiler:
:shock: 1 day and 3 hours

OMG...It's too long for me!!!!!

Anyway, thanks for the info :D
Don't complain. There are many users sacrificing their upstream bandwidth for you to download it. :S
Kaimax Best Master-San
Uzumaki101 wrote...

Spoiler:

You should be grateful! In some countries, just downloading the same game can go to more than a day. You should be really grateful for your download speed that make you download more faster than anyone else.

Sometimes, I even have to wait for 2 weeks just to play a 1,08Gb H-Game and I'm a H-Game collector, that's what you call a suffering. Indonesia and Internet speed isn't compatible, we have only one internet gate, that's why we don't have high downloading speeds. :D
Uzumaki101 wrote...

Spoiler:

That's not long at all. Leave your computer on throughout the night, problem solved. Also, that's if the rate stays the same, odds are it'll increase as you stay on. Be sure to upload until the ratio is 1.00 at the very least.

@ kaimax: I feel sorry for you if it takes that long to download a GB.
Kaimax Best Master-San
@ZeroOBK :Thanks, I feel much better. :D

Maximum Download speed for torrents (when the torrent is still healthy): around 60kb/sec

Imagine how long did I download the PS2 game "Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch: LOST COLORS"(4gb)?

I sometimes envy guys with high downloading speed, seeing you talk about the new episode of Code Geass while I'm still at 10%, that's really irritating sometimes. But "Perseverances" pays it all(and the internet bill....). :D

Like I said, "Be Grateful" in anything that you own, 'cause some people can't enjoy the same thing. :D
kaimax wrote...
@ZeroOBK :Thanks, I feel much better. :D

Maximum Download speed for torrents (when the torrent is still healthy): around 60kb/sec

Imagine how long did I download the PS2 game "Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch: LOST COLORS"(4gb)?

I sometimes envy guys with high downloading speed, seeing you talk about the new episode of Code Geass while I'm still at 10%, that's really irritating sometimes. But "Perseverances" pays it all(and the internet bill....). :D

Like I said, "Be Grateful" in anything that you own, 'cause some people can't enjoy the same thing. :D

Sorry, sorry. 60Kb/s is definitely hell when dealing with over a Gb, but for anime episodes, it isn't so bad.
ZeroOBK wrote...
Sorry, sorry. 60Kb/s is definitely hell when dealing with over a Gb, but for anime episodes, it isn't so bad.

100kb/s to me is like hitting a fast torrent.

50kb/s is still pretty speedy.

20kb/s I'm used to.

10-5kb/s Network congestion, but hey, as least I can have two dial up connections. :\
Hibia wrote...
100kb/s to me is like hitting a fast torrent.

50kb/s is still pretty speedy.

20kb/s I'm used to.

10-5kb/s Network congestion, but hey, as least I can have two dial up connections. :\

Ouch I'm sorry Hib.
250+ kbs is a rarity but it's sweet when it happens

100+ is average for me

anything lower makes me sad
A fast torrent for me is hitting 600kb/s.
Normal rate is about 150kb/s.
Anything below that is pretty slow, and needs to be something good for me to wait for it.
The fastest I have seen mine is 150 ish, but that is a well seeded mega hit--- types of things, usually...anywhere from 1 to 25 is the norm, but i get 60-100 on most single release anime episodes (providing they are not too old---they are still being aired)
Pages 12Next