Fallout 4

Pages Prev1234
Ryssen wrote...
The game is overall enjoyable but exploring is kinda meh. I want more interesting locations and fixed unique weapons spawns. For the majority of time, the legendary goods are lackluster compared to what I already use. I also think that with fixed weapon spawns you can go and pick the stuff you want from the beginning. Like I would always go the Republic of Dave to get the Ol' Painless and Evergreen Hills to get the Terrible Shotgun.

I think the animations are great now (for the most part). Shooting off limbs feels great and satisfying. And the looting system is also much faster and better. That's about as much good as I can say about fallout 4.

No love for the settlement system? Sure it has issues, but with just a bit of modding once the creation kit is out and the system is expanded a little, it'll be downright amazing to me. As is, I think it's really cool how you grow the world the way you want and have influence and control over life in the world.

As far as how I feel about the rest of the game, when I consider everything that Fallout 4 has from weapon modification to armor pieces and seeking value out of the junk in the wasteland... I feel as if I'm playing the Fallout 3 they originally aimed to release. But honestly, for once, I'm really hopeful for the future of Fallout. Fallout 4 ain't bad at all. Maybe the next fallout, or the next Elder Scrolls game will finally iron down a lot of what they've tried since Oblivion.
Memento_Mori wrote...
No love for the settlement system? Sure it has issues, but with just a bit of modding once the creation kit is out and the system is expanded a little, it'll be downright amazing to me. As is, I think it's really cool how you grow the world the way you want and have influence and control over life in the world.

I haven't touched that yet. I'm like 40 hours in game and haven't even met Valentine yet lol. But I did try to build some things and that seemed mostly a waste of time. The vendor and trade routes seemed really cool though.

Hopefully it will allow the modding community to give more freedom to the average user.
Ryssen wrote...
I haven't touched that yet. I'm like 40 hours in game and haven't even met Valentine yet lol. But I did try to build some things and that seemed mostly a waste of time. The vendor and trade routes seemed really cool though.

Hopefully it will allow the modding community to give more freedom to the average user.

Fair enough. I'll admit the building seemed kind of limited to me, but after checking out what other people have come up with, I'm inspired to do a lot to make all my settlements my own.

At the very least, it's a neat way to generate stuff for yourself. General stores for junk, etc.
You can skip the everything but the first two ranks of Gun Nut(three if you want the missile turret for defense) and just tear fancy mods off to refit on your legendaries.

Ryssen wrote...
But I did try to build some things and that seemed mostly a waste of time.

If you invest for Emporiums(the highest grade of trading post) you get a pretty steady wave of last-tier mods for your guns and they also produce a flow of bottle caps(around 50 per emporium), the important part is that the emporiums will always have 700+ caps so you can reliably hawk items for caps after some spelunking or harvest from crops. Easily returns the 3000 cap investment. Also you can tell wandering traders to station at a nearby settlement for even more profit.

All the caps loop back into purchasing legendaries or mods, purchasing shipments to expand settlements to aide in traders/minutemen/artillery strikes/passive income, reinforcing your defenses for expanding so much(because raiders trash everything and it's costly to repair) and leisure in general. It's completely unnecessary and the incentives are rather weak but it's there.

Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://puu.sh/lnrN4/37aaae6260.jpg
Dog companion, comatose, lust for revenge and all that.
I've been dicking around with settlements way too long without giving a fuck and now all of a sudden "artillery strikes." How worthwhile is it to follow the main quest? I want more settlement options.

Also, I'd enjoy it more if Bethesda didn't create such a broken piece of shit of a settlement system. The game forgets how many beds or settlers I have in one location, grays out sanctuary whenever I try to send anyone there, and the electric grid system just doesn't fucking work right. Is 20 people really the max at sanctuary? I spent way too much time on this shit to be able to tolerate Bethesda's incompetence.
Rbz wrote...
How worthwhile is it to follow the main quest? I want more settlement options.

the electric grid system just doesn't fucking work right. Is 20 people really the max at sanctuary?

Story-wise eh, most support options are unlocked by pursuing faction quests. So help out Preston, BOS and FRR for support. You can even call in Pequod BOS vertibirds, it's absolutely hilarious watching them strafe raiders.

Your charisma + 10 is the current population cap of a settlement, which would have been very useful information.

Bethesda has done a pretty poor(nonexistent) job of explaining it. There are some instructions below but you can probably get by just looking at the diagram.

Spoiler:
Basics:
Generators must be connected to machinery via cable and meet the power tax specified to power them, however the cables supplying power have limited range and cannot curve around objects which is where pylons come in. Pylons are extension cords that allow your cables to reach farther or turn around corner, therefore you create a network of pylons winding around obstructions to eventually reach machinery. Note that other generators and certain structures such as water purifiers can act as pylons. Ideally you would place your generator in the best location to reach the machinery unobstructed, but raiders will damage generators thus powering down anything connected to it. Some structures like television are denoted by power tax with no number, these structures only need to be in the vicinity of a generator/pylon to be powered. If several generators are connected to a pylon then any machinery connected to that pylon will receive energy from both generators, the end goal is to connect many generators from a distant location to a network of pylons spread across the entire base.

Traps, Triggers and Terminals 101:
Traps immediately trigger once they are supplied energy so the job of managing a trap so it doesn't fry your settlers comes to triggers and Terminals. All triggers(Switches, laser tripwire, pressure plate, etc.) send energy to anything connected to it once triggered so you connect those to your traps in a conveniently placed location and you've got a bonafide trap. Terminals are important because they can set perimeters for your triggers such as triggering on enemies only, making power activate long enough to preserve traps without breaking them, etc. Terminals can be treated as generators that send commands rather than energy.

It should look something like this:
Forum Image: http://puu.sh/lnUQq/72b4c4f23c.jpg

There is a lot I haven't experimented with but I can already see a way to link up my entire base to make alternating neon signs/play songs/etc. by stepping on a single pressure plate.
WideEyedMan wrote...
Your charisma + 10 is the current population cap of a settlement

Makes sense in theory, but not so much when you consider how huge sanctuary is. I need more slaves.

WideEyedMan wrote...
Bethesda has done a pretty poor(nonexistent) job of explaining it. There are some instructions below but you can probably get by just looking at the diagram.

Neat graphic, but I already know how the electric grid system works. I read the in-game help for that shit. My problem with it is that lights and other hardware affected by the energy aura of pylons and the like sometimes don't register that they're within the aura and remain dead. It only happens when I come back after a long journey and the game engine has to rebuild all my shit, often neglecting these little details about my setup. I have to store the fucking thing then place it back just to make it work again. The more elaborate the bullshit I contrive, the more this issue pisses me off.

It's just a constant theme of "mods will fix it." Not going to stop me from blaming Bethesda, though. Speaking of mods, I guarantee there's going to be some electrical engineer somewhere who mods in the most elaborate clusterfuck of modern electrical bullshit, making it possible to build New New Vegas.

I'll soon be living the American dream.
Spoiler:
Forum Image: http://i.imgur.com/nmwQfkp.jpg

Just need more copper. Always need more god damn copper.
NEXUS Since 2010
Does anyone else find the side quests to be lacking in abundance? I've played the game since launch and I think I may have done every side quest (including the main story and those minutemen settlement missions).
NEXUS wrote...
Does anyone else find the side quests to be lacking in abundance?

There are plenty, it just seems like there are less because there are fewer general quests and proportionally more faction quests compared to previous Bethesda games, excluding New Vegas, which also had many faction quests.

Fallout 4 has about 140 quests. Fallout 3 has 59 without DLC. New Vegas had a shit ton of unmarked quests, some of which are insignificant, so let's say there are more quests than in F3, but less than F4.

You want to get the most out of F4? Play all the sides before pissing anyone off and you'll have most of the quests done.
Rbz wrote...
Also, I'd enjoy it more if Bethesda didn't create such a broken piece of shit of a settlement system. The game forgets how many beds or settlers I have in one location, grays out sanctuary whenever I try to send anyone there, and the electric grid system just doesn't fucking work right. Is 20 people really the max at sanctuary? I spent way too much time on this shit to be able to tolerate Bethesda's incompetence.

Mods will fix the game eventually, it's generally why I wait to purchase Bethesda games.

Main problem, though, is that Bethesda used the same engine to develop Fallout 4 as it did Oblivion. It's "upgraded", but that really just means they hacked a bunch of features into the engine that it was wasn't designed to handle. It's just a giant buggy mess.
William wrote...
Main problem, though, is that Bethesda used the same engine to develop Fallout 4 as it did Oblivion. It's "upgraded", but that really just means they hacked a bunch of features into the engine that it was wasn't designed to handle. It's just a giant buggy mess.

We're at the point (which we got to a while ago, but we're still there) where any questions critiquing a Bethesda game's development can be easily and thoroughly addressed by simply saying, "because Bethesda."

Why is your game such a bugged up insect hive?
Why is it that you're using an engine that puts the insect hive into a giant spider nest?
Why did you, Todd Howard, in reference to the settlement building, claim during your E3 press conference that it, and I quote, "just works"?
Pages Prev1234