World of Tanks

Experiences with ISU-152, 5tsuspension, stock engine and bl10:

If it misses, you shit yourself.
If it hits, enemy shit themselves
If you need to turn, you shit yourself and feel the urge to get out of the tank and push the damn thing around

With upgraded suspension and rammer:
It can turn and accelerate faster than a tog atleast now.

The BL-10's fear factor is quite fun. With a 15 second reload and 286 ap pen, inexperienced tier 8 and lower enemies will panic and back off from you.

In tier 8 games I like to play the ISU quite aggressively bullying heavies and smashing their lesser tier bretheren aside in a single shot usually. Only in higher tiers do I tone myself down a bit and sit back, this thing with a net (no credits for a gld yet) and a 80% camo crew even can wreak havok from a good 300m and still not get spotted (unless some tier 9,10 mediums are lurking around).

The accuracy can be painful at times though; it's been called the troll cannon time and time again, since it's the only gun in the game that could miss the fully aimed broadside of a TOG but full bloomed reticle clutch shot an elc at 500m. In practice, expect every third shot past 300m to just drop into the ground, escape orbit and destroy the moon, or harmlessly just roll out of the barrel.

On a side note, this tank is actually quite profitable if you don't miss. AP shells are effective up to tier 10 and only cost 1600 a shot for 750 alpha.
I just spent the day grinding for the ELC AMX. I had every tank type except a scout, and saw a video for scouts on youtube, and decided to get myself one. I figured the french line would be the way to go, it being known for good artillery and light tanks, and the ELC has been renowned to be a good tank.

Never knew every other tank before it was a piece of crap. The toughest was the AMX 40. Worst tier 4 ever, only good quality is the armor, and that is easily rivaled by the Matilda. Overall, just a bad tank.

Now the ELC was fantastic, a bullet on the terrain and can drive circles around tanks.
dragonsheart967 wrote...
I just spent the day grinding for the ELC AMX. I had every tank type except a scout, and saw a video for scouts on youtube, and decided to get myself one. I figured the french line would be the way to go, it being known for good artillery and light tanks, and the ELC has been renowned to be a good tank.

Never knew every other tank before it was a piece of crap. The toughest was the AMX 40. Worst tier 4 ever, only good quality is the armor, and that is easily rivaled by the Matilda. Overall, just a bad tank.

Now the ELC was fantastic, a bullet on the terrain and can drive circles around tanks.

You think that's bad, try playing the tier 4 ht and td B1 and Sau 40.
Rovencrone wrote...
Spoiler:

If you need to turn, you shit yourself and feel the urge to get out of the tank and push the damn thing around

The BL-10's fear factor is quite fun. With a 15 second reload and 286 ap pen, inexperienced tier 8 and lower enemies will panic and back off from you.

In tier 8 games I like to play the ISU quite aggressively bullying heavies and smashing their lesser tier bretheren aside in a single shot usually. Only in higher tiers do I tone myself down a bit and sit back, this thing with a net (no credits for a gld yet) and a 80% camo crew even can wreak havok from a good 300m and still not get spotted (unless some tier 9,10 mediums are lurking around).

The accuracy can be painful at times though; it's been called the troll cannon time and time again, since it's the only gun in the game that could miss the fully aimed broadside of a TOG but full bloomed reticle clutch shot an elc at 500m. In practice, expect every third shot past 300m to just drop into the ground, escape orbit and destroy the moon, or harmlessly just roll out of the barrel.

On a side note, this tank is actually quite profitable if you don't miss. AP shells are effective up to tier 10 and only cost 1600 a shot for 750 alpha.

A thing I'm a bit curious about: ISU has this super-troll mantlet, but I've never seen anyone make full use of it, as in, poke from a corner with the gun and mantlet and hide the other side of the hull. I pulled that stunt all the time with the T25 AT and it was glorious to see enemies rage when they bounced on my mantlet (which is what, 1/10th of the ISU's?).

EDIT: For the record, talking about mantlets, went to the small ravine in the northeastern corner of Pearl River with my Hellcat (Tier 7 match), done over 2400 damage just by poking out and taking potshots, and the enemy could not pen my mantlet in any way. If T30 can pull off this shit against the bigger guns, I'm so going to love it.
Rovencrone wrote...
dragonsheart967 wrote...

Which is why I will NEVER use either of those tanks. Arty and scouts are enough for me, I don't even wanna know what quirks the B1 has.
pihip wrote...
Rovencrone wrote...
Spoiler:

A thing I'm a bit curious about: ISU has this super-troll mantlet, but I've never seen anyone make full use of it, as in, poke from a corner with the gun and mantlet and hide the other side of the hull. I pulled that stunt all the time with the T25 AT and it was glorious to see enemies rage when they bounced on my mantlet (which is what, 1/10th of the ISU's?).

EDIT: For the record, talking about mantlets, went to the small ravine in the northeastern corner of Pearl River with my Hellcat (Tier 7 match), done over 2400 damage just by poking out and taking potshots, and the enemy could not pen my mantlet in any way. If T30 can pull off this shit against the bigger guns, I'm so going to love it.

Keep in mind that the rest of the isu is flat and thin, so all the mantlet can really do is provide rng cover. Also, the little bar of bolted metal on the mantlet can be penned by some higher tier guns as well, also limiting its effectiveness. The ISU152 also has far worse traverse than the Su152, limiting its wiggle potential.
Rovencrone wrote...
Keep in mind that the rest of the isu is flat and thin, so all the mantlet can really do is provide rng cover. Also, the little bar of bolted metal on the mantlet can be penned by some higher tier guns as well, also limiting its effectiveness. The ISU152 also has far worse traverse than the Su152, limiting its wiggle potential.

I know that ISU is paper when not counting the mantlet, but if I ever get one I'd like to test how effective that technique is. I mean, it worked with the T25 AT which has an incredibly small mantlet, theoretically it should work with ISU as well so long as I'm at long range.

...theoretically.

PS: I sent you a PM.
Rovencrone wrote...
dragonsheart967 wrote...

Sau-40 D: terrible terrible TD the next tier was great with the 105 gun and now im on the arl v39 : / its meh
M8A1 and T49 are just kings of tier 4 and 5 td's imo. Though the bang bus was a lot of fun to play with the long 88.
Rovencrone wrote...
M8A1 and T49 are just kings of tier 4 and 5 td's imo. Though the bang bus was a lot of fun to play with the long 88.

The German Toaster leaves much to be desired IMHO, at least as an opponent. Easy to spot, even easier to kill. On the other hand, Nashorn and Rhm. B. Waffentrager seem to do very well in capable hands (especially the latter).

Also, played both M8A1 and T49, since I was a noob I played them like mediums with super low health lol, and the funny thing is, most of the time it worked.
I signed up
Played 2 games
Died within 30 seconds
And haven't played since.

Any noob tips
Ok maybe it was a lucky day for that player, but ISU is ridiculous.

Playing in Murovanka, he got five kills and over 6k damage (and survived the match even though his team lost) just by standing still on the other side of magic forest (Encounter battle, he was in the southeast of the map) and sniping at us. He moved only when our SU-101 went for him.

What the hell. :U
pihip wrote...
Ok maybe it was a lucky day for that player, but ISU is ridiculous.

Playing in Murovanka, he got five kills and over 6k damage (and survived the match even though his team lost) just by standing still on the other side of magic forest (Encounter battle, he was in the southeast of the map) and sniping at us. He moved only when our SU-101 went for him.

What the hell. :U

Welcome to high tier russian TD's.

Sou Yaguruma wrote...
I signed up
Played 2 games
Died within 30 seconds
And haven't played since.

Any noob tips

1. Stick with it

2. read the entirety of the battle mechanics page

3. watch various WoT streams on twitch and youtube replays. Quickybaby, Jingles(bohemianeagle), and circonflexes can be useful to observe.

Or you know, you can always just play for fun and lose your way up to tier 10.
war of zombies tanks
Been trying the Japanese tanks, and holy crap, these things are made of glass. I'm guessing that after tier 5, the jap tanks are either gonna have to rely on mobility, stick to the second line and support those in the front, or just snipe.
dragonsheart967 wrote...
Been trying the Japanese tanks, and holy crap, these things are made of glass. I'm guessing that after tier 5, the jap tanks are either gonna have to rely on mobility, stick to the second line and support those in the front, or just snipe.

The japanese tanks are mid range assault tanks. They're characterized by:

no armor
good mobility
great camo values
low caliber low alpha good pen guns
high rof and dpm

from tier 8 and up these traits become heavily solidified and combine great gun depression and some of the highest dpm of their tier. If you ever got a chance to play the british tier 7 and 8 comet and centurion 1, imagine playing a stealthier and more mobile version of those with a far less reliable mantlet.

Also just had my first game in the T-34-3. I absolutely love this thing. The accuracy didn't troll me that hard though but it's a tough little tank and the mobility is quite nice. I'm quite angry that this tank has been getting such a negative rep, since it's mostly because people bought this tank expecting a type 59, an aggressive brawler. The t-34-3 cannot wih a brawl, that's all there is to it. Because of the nature of this gun, high alpha, long reload, low pen and its peek a boom nature, I play this tank as I did my T69 with standard ap (173mm of pen 2mm less than that good old russian 122). You play supportive flanker and when you see the chance to capitalize on an unwary enemy, you slam them hard with your quick burst and skitter away. It helps that the T-34-3 is arguably far more durable, slightly more mobile, and has amazing camo as well.

Be warned though, that -3 gun depression will get you killed unless you know the positional play required to work with it.
Less than 40k exp to T30, and I already have enough free exp for tracks and engine.

Finally getting good results with Proto, I'm happy. Had fun trying sidescraping and making it work, with 50mm flat sides. lol

Also, pulled off the same stunt that guy in the ISU did the other day: me in southeastern corner of Murovanka, sniping with the cover of magic forest. I wonder if I should keep Camo as a crew skill on Proto.
pihip wrote...
Less than 40k exp to T30, and I already have enough free exp for tracks and engine.

Finally getting good results with Proto, I'm happy. Had fun trying sidescraping and making it work, with 50mm flat sides. lol

Also, pulled off the same stunt that guy in the ISU did the other day: me in southeastern corner of Murovanka, sniping with the cover of magic forest. I wonder if I should keep Camo as a crew skill on Proto.

I might change out camo to repairs depending on how you play your T30. If you play it like your t34 or play it as a front line hull down beast then I'd grab repairs first.

Also, War thunder ground forces stream on twitch in just 2 hours from now. You can find the link on the war thunder page
Rovencrone wrote...
I might change out camo to repairs depending on how you play your T30. If you play it like your t34 or play it as a front line hull down beast then I'd grab repairs first.

I don't have T34 lol, sold it a while ago.

Anyway, I was talking about Proto when mentioning the Camo skill (which I have atm). Camo skill on T30 is useless due to stupidly low base camo, Repairs is mandatory, as is Clutch Braking (22 d/s with top tracks is quite bad). Then I'll see what to take next.
Dropped some holiday cash on the T-34 War Thunder pack and 2nd wave of closed beta started today. Guess I'll report back occasionally about it but WoT is probably gonna be put on hold(but oh noez the NDA!).