FAKKU Writers' Lounge

Xenon FAKKU Writer
Something tells me that d will have something very insightful to tell us all very soon. I have a great hunch when it comes to these sorts of things.
Have a poem, short story, or some visual art and have no idea what to do with it? You're in luck! The annual literary magazine the Suisun Valley Review is accepting submissions from now until March 25 12:00AM (PST) in all three of those categories. ANYONE (you don't have to be a student of Solano Community College) may submit. Last year, we got a submission from Prague.

For poetry and short fiction, include the following:

- a cover letter including the contributor’s name, address, phone number, and email

- two to five lines of biographical information (to be used if you get accepted)

- submissions in .doc, .docx or .rtf formats if submitted via email

- an SASE if submitted by US mail

Simultaneous submissions are amenable as long as we are notified immediately if work is accepted elsewhere. Successful works in prose and fiction typically do not exceed 3500 words. Due to the volume of work received, literary work will not be returned. If you happen to be a student at Solano Community College, what the hell? We go to the same school; that's crazy. Also please indicate that you're a student in your cover letter. Doing so will make you eligible for an award that'll net you $150 or something like that if you win.

In addition to the cover letter and biographical information, for visual art:

- Submissions should be submitted at 300 ppi in TIFF or JPG formats

- No more than three images per artist should be submitted

- Any submitted image may be selected as the cover of the magazine

- SVR publishes images in full color

We will respond to all submissions in four to eight weeks time. Accepted authors and artists get two copies of the magazine for free, hence why we need your address in the cover letter (we won't do anything creepy with it). In addition, if you're accepted, you will be invited to present your work at a release reading at the SCC Library on Wednesday, May 6, 2015, from 2-4 PM. And if that isn't a big enough incentive for you, come and you can hang out with me in person!

All electronic submissions may be emailed to suisunvalleyreview@gmail.com. If you prefer sending a physical submission, use the following address:

Suisun Valley Review, English Department, Solano Community College
4000 Suisun Valley Road
Fairfield, CA 94534

That is all!
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Have a poem, short story, or some visual art and have no idea what to do with it? You're in luck! The annual literary magazine the Suisun Valley Review is accepting submissions from now until March 25 12:00AM (PST) in all three of those categories.

Ooo it's back! If I stop being a bum, I'll try and get a submission in. I feel like I've asked this before but are there genres that this magazine is looking for or not looking for?
xninebreaker wrote...
Ooo it's back! If I stop being a bum, I'll try and get a submission in. I feel like I've asked this before but are there genres that this magazine is looking for or not looking for?

Nothing in particular. Just do what you do best. By the way, did you submit anything last year?
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Nothing in particular. Just do what you do best. By the way, did you submit anything last year?

I did not. Or at least I don't think I did.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
grimmwolf wrote...
Different strokes for different folks eh?
Sure go right ahead my good sir |3

Beginning in the front of canterlot high school building....

You don't need to use words like 'beginning' when establishing a scene. Feel free to jump right in with something that describes the setting.

"hey, did you hear about student3?" said student1 as he and student2 nears the entrance.

You mentioned you aren't finished. I'm assuming you're going to have actual names when you do.

For what it is, I think the dialogue serves its purpose of informing the reader of what the story's about it but nothing more. Were this a more serious story, I would avoid this kind of exchange between characters. It's clearly there for exposition, and there are usually better ways to bring readers in to what's going on.

The school bell goes off signaling the end of another school day.

Going back to establishing scenes, this sentence does a much better job of it than the one from the first scene. It mentions the school bell going off at the end of the day, and we instantly know where we're at and the approximate time of day, and you relate that information without directly stating it.

Everyone leaves except for rainbow dash as she goes to the girls shower room.

I'm going to use this sentence as an opportunity to point out that you aren't capitalizing characters' names, which is confusing. Once again though, I'm going to assume that won't be an issue in the finished story.

A couple paragraphs later, we find out Rainbow Dash is taking a shower because she was playing sports. Given that much, I question why she's alone in the shower room. Was there no one else in the entire school who wanted to play sports?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the way you described this story, I imagine it as just a fun little thing. Taking that into consideration, all these little details aren't that much of a problem, but I still think it's something to be aware of.

While she was working on herself, celest was in pursuit of her new plaything

Does 'herself' refer to Rainbow Dash or Celest?

I dunno why it's just soo funny when someone points out my mistakes...
But yes, this is the kind of correcting I need to do better so I cannot thank you enough
For putting up with a rookie like me |3

Lemme clear some things up for you:

I was not goin to add names to the first part of it,
Since this I was planning on making this a skin mag thing
I thought some students talking about a rumor spreading around would
Be a good opening for such a thing.

Rainbow Dash is in the shower alone after school because
Perhaps she could be like a coach or something
But I can work on that part later on.

Herself refers to Dash. She is the only one in the shower right now
But it's obvious I was not clear on that part.

I think that's all of it, kinda multitasking right now so if I missed something , please
Bring it up next time we meet |3
grimmwolf wrote...
I dunno why it's just soo funny when someone points out my mistakes...

Okay . . .

But yes, this is the kind of correcting I need to do better so I cannot thank you enough
For putting up with a rookie like me

You're welcome.

Some of us may be further along than others, but none of us here are pros. And while I can't speak for everyone else, I originally came here to receive feedback so I could better my skills, not because I was already an established writer who wanted to show off.

I was not goin to add names to the first part of it

If that's the case, then you shouldn't refer to these nameless characters as student1, student2, and student3. I'm not saying it's not okay to leave these character's nameless, but the way you've written it, you're substituting proper nouns for non-proper nouns, and that's not okay.

Since this I was planning on making this a skin mag thing

I have no idea what that is.
So I wrote something else for once in my life and was hoping some of you gents could drop me some feed back, or don't. Who am I? What am I doing here? What's this garbage I have copied in my notepad?

Here, take it. I don't want it.

Shameless advertising, ho!
So I went and posted a thing. The only reason I'm linking it here is so it can get more attention; I'd appreciate any and all feedback from people:
https://www.fakku.net/forums/writing-and-fanfiction/yuris-untitled-short-story

I've got a few other ideas in the works. Is anyone else writing something at the moment? Also, who are the poets on Fakku? I want to get to know the writing community better, so let me in guise.
yurixhentai wrote...
I've got a few other ideas in the works. Is anyone else writing something at the moment? Also, who are the poets on Fakku? I want to get to know the writing community better, so let me in guise.

Hey there. I just finished the first draft of my novella called Strike! You can follow that link if you wanna check it out. Next I plan on doing a second draft and after that, I'll continue work on the sequel of something else I've written.

I'll read your stuff as well as Ezlare's later when I get the time (probably later today or tomorrow).
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
yurixhentai wrote...

Hey there. I just finished the first draft of my novella called Strike! You can follow that link if you wanna check it out. Next I plan on doing a second draft and after that, I'll continue work on the sequel of something else I've written.

I'll read your stuff as well as Ezlare's later when I get the time (probably later today or tomorrow).

That sounds awesome, I'll give it a read!

Thank you. Any feedback, good or bad, is appreciated.
Cinia Pacifica Ojou-sama Writer
yurixhentai wrote...

Forever writing shit for RPs so there's that for me I guess.

There were some poets... but at the moment I don't know any. Maybe Xenon knows.

how2letin
Random guy here, posting mostly when pissed off.

Uhh, check my work if you'd like. But I bet you won't, aha. Hello anyways.
mibuchiha wrote...
Random guy here, posting mostly when pissed off.

Uhh, check my work if you'd like. But I bet you won't, aha. Hello anyways.

I'll stop by once I finish some exams that are coming up next week.

yurixhentai wrote...
Is anyone else writing something at the moment? Also, who are the poets on Fakku? I want to get to know the writing community better, so let me in guise.

As already pointed out, Xenon writes some poetry. I'm working on... stuff. No ETA though.
Cinia Pacifica wrote...
yurixhentai wrote...

Forever writing shit for RPs so there's that for me I guess.

There were some poets... but at the moment I don't know any. Maybe Xenon knows.

how2letin

Good luck with that!

I guess now I'm in, just wanted to know what everyone was working on.
xninebreaker wrote...
yurixhentai wrote...
Is anyone else writing something at the moment? Also, who are the poets on Fakku? I want to get to know the writing community better, so let me in guise.

As already pointed out, Xenon writes some poetry. I'm working on... stuff. No ETA though.

Will have to search for Xenon's stuff.

I look forward to seeing what you're writing.
Xenon FAKKU Writer
xninebreaker wrote...
As already pointed out, Xenon writes some poetry.

The only poetry I make sad attempts at are the past two year's winter contest winning threads. I think Rise meant I would know the poets in our community, and fortunately I know some.

We have two more recent poetry enthusiasts, though they are less active at the moment. One is DatYuriThough who actually had some of her poetry published. Her poetry thread can be found here. Also, there was Chiligyro who joined us for the contest and has some amazing short-hand poetry that raises excellent messages. His portfolio can be found here.

yurixhentai wrote...

Posts between contests are sparse, so if you want individual stories to get some attention, now is the perfect time.
Xenon wrote...
xninebreaker wrote...
As already pointed out, Xenon writes some poetry.

The only poetry I make sad attempts at are the past two year's winter contest winning threads. I think Rise meant I would know the poets in our community, and fortunately I know some.

We have two more recent poetry enthusiasts, though they are less active at the moment. One is DatYuriThough who actually had some of her poetry published. Her poetry thread can be found here. Also, there was Chiligyro who joined us for the contest and has some amazing short-hand poetry that raises excellent messages. His portfolio can be found here.

yurixhentai wrote...

Posts between contests are sparse, so if you want individual stories to get some attention, now is the perfect time.

Thanks once again!
Cinia Pacifica Ojou-sama Writer
yurixhentai wrote...
Good luck with that!

Good luck too... it's hard to get readers here.

It's a small world.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
yurixhentai wrote...

Righto. I plan to read your novel when I get time as well.
Ezlare wrote...
Righto. I plan to read your novel when I get time as well.

Cool. I would have read your story last night by the way, but by the time I got to it, it was midnight. I had been up since six in the morning, and I was dead tired. I will get to it today for sure.