FAKKU Writers' Lounge

Cinia Pacifica Ojou-sama Writer
You know, when I was watching Durarara; I kept getting reminded of d every time I saw Shizuo.
Rise wrote...

You know, when I was watching Durarara; I kept getting reminded of d every time I saw Shizuo.

Cool. I don't mind being mentally linked to a character like him.
Hope everyone's been enjoying themselves, there seems to be less of us every year in me eyes mind you all.

Anyways, just wanted to drop this cake over here

http://greenhumanities.edublogs.org/files/2012/09/Bradbury-Illustrated-Man-1wytglb.pdf

Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man

A collection of short stories in the dangerous yet fantastic world of the future.

Enjoy!
Xenon FAKKU Writer
So I just watched Big Hero 6 today, reminded me of d's avatar, though he changed it. Great movie. I totally didn't not tear up multiple times.

Totally didn't not.
Xenon wrote...
So I just watched Big Hero 6 today, reminded me of d's avatar, though he changed it. Great movie. I totally didn't not tear up multiple times.

Totally didn't not.

Hello. I was wondering if you have any tips for coming up with an idea for a short story?
Xenon FAKKU Writer
Kaypi wrote...
Hello. I was wondering if you have any tips for coming up with an idea for a short story?

Hi, Kaypi. You've come to the right place to ask a question like that. Unfortunately, most answers to that question will be unique to each person giving them. However, I can tell you a few tips that make it easier for me to write a short story personally.

Firstly, I need to know the general blueprints of the story I'm going to write before I begin. Some writers can begin with a sentence and keep going, but I think of the greater scheme I want to set up and begin there. This covers things such as who the story will be about, if it will be written from their point-of-view, certain key characters, and a central conflict that will occur that needs to be addressed and preferably solved.

Secondly, getting one's self down to write it out once you have enough to begin. So many people see the act of writing as daunting, but only because they see it as difficult to set aside the time to just write. Personally, I need seclusion from distractions, some great writing music (preferably ambient and without lyrics because they can be distracting and the words may bleed into your work) and just write by beginning any scene you desire and going with it.

Thirdly, whatever you produce doesn't have to be perfect or anywhere near it. The written work is only for you and will be seen by only you so it can be of any quality. You will always have plenty of time to review and edit it, so when you're in the mood to write, you better write as much as you can. It's tough to find motivation and inspiration, but some writers need those to produce content. It may help you to set up a schedule and start small. "Each week I will write for X time," and things like that. Sometimes habitual writing habits can help.

Fourthly, have fun with it. One major point of writing is that it is a creative outlet for the author. You can pen anything you desire. You can write about dragons and wizards, or a high school life you wish you had, or about a criminal making heists. Your only limit is your imagination so let it run wild.

Lastly, a small side-note worth mentioning: you are sometimes your own worst critic. You may see your work as absolute garbage but that may not necessarily be the case. It helps to have your work peer reviewed, so sharing the work that you produce can yield to valuable advice. Key places to do that are writing forums. Our writing section is a great place for that.

I wish you luck and success, Kaypi. If you produce something, I would love to see it in the Writing and Fanfiction section.
Xenon wrote...
Kaypi wrote...

Hi, Kaypi. You've come to the right place to ask a question like that. Unfortunately, most answers to that question will be unique to each person giving them. However, I can tell you a few tips that make it easier for me to write a short story personally.

Firstly, I need to know the general blueprints of the story I'm going to write before I begin. Some writers can begin with a sentence and keep going, but I think of the greater scheme I want to set up and begin there. This covers things such as who the story will be about, if it will be written from their point-of-view, certain key characters, and a central conflict that will occur that needs to be addressed and preferably solved.

Secondly, getting one's self down to write it out once you have enough to begin. So many people see the act of writing as daunting, but only because they see it as difficult to set aside the time to just write. Personally, I need seclusion from distractions, some great writing music (preferably ambient and without lyrics because they can be distracting and the words may bleed into your work) and just write by beginning any scene you desire and going with it.

Thirdly, whatever you produce doesn't have to be perfect or anywhere near it. The written work is only for you and will be seen by only you so it can be of any quality. You will always have plenty of time to review and edit it, so when you're in the mood to write, you better write as much as you can. It's tough to find motivation and inspiration, but some writers need those to produce content. It may help you to set up a schedule and start small. "Each week I will write for X time," and things like that. Sometimes habitual writing habits can help.

Fourthly, have fun with it. One major point of writing is that it is a creative outlet for the author. You can pen anything you desire. You can write about dragons and wizards, or a high school life you wish you had, or about a criminal making heists. Your only limit is your imagination so let it run wild.

Lastly, a small side-note worth mentioning: you are sometimes your own worst critic. You may see your work as absolute garbage but that may not necessarily be the case. It helps to have your work peer reviewed, so sharing the work that you produce can yield to valuable advice. Key places to do that are writing forums. Our writing section is a great place for that.

I wish you luck and success, Kaypi. If you produce something, I would love to see it in the Writing and Fanfiction section.

Thanks for the tips they were very helpful.
Kaypi wrote...

I get ideas from a lot of sources, mainly books and movies. I think one of the most common ways I generate an idea is I'll look at something in particular and go, "Huh. How would that have turned out had the main character done that instead of the other thing?" And I just go with it from there.
Kaypi wrote...

First off, welcome to the lounge!

To answer your question, it'll probably vary from person to person. However, for some anecdotal advice, I find that inspiration comes in many forms, you just have to make note of it. Anything from a good dream, or a good movie, or a scenic view of a park, or even just random phrases or interactions you may have, can all become the spark for a story. Pay attention to your surroundings and eventually you'll go, "I can write about that"!
Thanks guys I have been able to continue it without just giving up and throwing it away.
Kaypi wrote...
Thanks guys I have been able to continue it without just giving up and throwing it away.

Like Xenon was saying earlier, if you do finish something up, feel free to share it!
I just want to remind those interested that the deadline for submissions for the literary magazine I mentioned are a week from today so put on those finishing touches. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, first check out my original post here. Then either throw something together or brush the dust off an old work of yours. You never know what could happen!
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
I just want to remind those interested that the deadline for submissions for the literary magazine I mentioned are a week from today so put on those finishing touches. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, first check out my original post here. Then either throw something together or brush the dust off an old work of yours. You never know what could happen!

Oh my goodness! I was wondering why the heck I marked "Writing contest ends" on my calender! Well then, one week... I'll see what I can do.
I just wrote a little sector of an idea (not finished btw) that been in my head for a while. I just picked up writing after dropping it and I would like your opinion and completely butcher my work with advice and stuff

The story is about an introverted, aloof observational astrophysicist who finds himself distant from reality and humans but finds closure in the arms of a computer program.

'Wow', I sighed, with a sigh of relief along with a hint of frustration. the pendulum on my antique Victorian clock swinging back and forth and back and forth, simultaneously with the “click” of the left hand reminding that all of this is real and ongoing. Me, breathing the same air that you breathe (to whoever finds this) and desperately trying to rid myself of that luxury (luxury seems like an over-exaggerated word but you gotta admit, it's a cool word.), my room subtly unveiling a soft peachy to lavender gradient, ironically contrasting against the atmosphere, all of my gadgets, comics, misc, stuff that will bring shame if found (this diary being a major sector) obviously and clearly looking down on me while in a plethora of dust, as if I'm an illiterate, mead-dependent peasant at the knees of a prestigious and respected knight, looking at gravity take its role on his/her (some knights were women, right?) beautifully crafted longsword and descend rapidly on me.

I slouch on my gamer chair, turn 90 degrees to the floor where I just attempted to take my life with an IKEA plastic bag. I actually question my motives during my failed suicide attempts 'Why am I doing this?', 'Am I just doing this for attention?' For someone, literally anyone, just see past the fake Joie de Vivre, the smile that doesn't even make my eyes wrinkle, the robotic laugh that I always activate when someone tells me a really shit joke (but not shitty enough in order for you to laugh at the person.) I look around my state-of-the-art apartment staring outside of my window, giving me a panorama view of ….. skyline, bullet trains darting across the city, like a hyperactive child who's clearly had too much sour cherries, contemporary buildings launching a spectrum of colours , street lights exploiting the people loitering the veranda, wolf-whistling at curvy women that walk by, passive white collars workers, anticipating for the bus to arrive and be left vulnerable to a gush of warm air. I bet whoever is reading this, I sound like an arrogant, spoilt mainstreamer, don't I? (And even try to say that I'm not because we both know you're lying.)
RockyRocketLauncher wrote...
I just wrote a little sector of an idea (not finished btw) that been in my head for a while. I just picked up writing after dropping it and I would like your opinion and completely butcher my work with advice and stuff

The story is about an introverted, aloof observational astrophysicist who finds himself distant from reality and humans but finds closure in the arms of a computer program.

Hm... Interesting. Hard to judge a work without it's entirety, and this bit doesn't quite flesh out any potential plot other than the suicide attempt. Only thing that bugs me is probably the extensive use of parenthesis. Unless those are directed at us, you could probably take most of those out of the parenthesis. It's a diary right? Most people won't bother with parenthesis since it's pretty much a stream of consciousness.
Wow, Xnine changed his avi.
I don't see what's astrophysicist about it.
Cinia Pacifica wrote...
Wow, Xnine changed his avi.

Enjoy the exposed tummy that is my avi while you can. It's back to the good ol' knight by tomorrow.
xninebreaker wrote...
It's back to the good ol' knight by tomorrow.

Nuooooo
xninebreaker wrote...
RockyRocketLauncher wrote...

Hm... Interesting. Hard to judge a work without it's entirety, and this bit doesn't quite flesh out any potential plot other than the suicide attempt. Only thing that bugs me is probably the extensive use of parenthesis. Unless those are directed at us, you could probably take most of those out of the parenthesis. It's a diary right? Most people won't bother with parenthesis since it's pretty much a stream of consciousness.

mibuchiha wrote...
I don't see what's astrophysicist about it.

Ok, thanks for your advice and could you elaborate on 'potential plot.' Do you mean in general or the sector that I wrote?

It doesn't get there quite yet but while I was developing the character, i just thought of him being an astrophysicist.