[2Roads 2014] The Words Left Unspoken

AssasinZAssasin Not Hentai Protagonist
So, At the time I post this, I may not have made it for the deadline but since I took time to write it, I'm going to post it anyway so it doesn't matter if I get disqualified. It'd be nice if I wasn't, but I respect the rules and deadlines.

In regards to the actual story, I won't make excuses, because it is indeed rushed as I was busy and it is pretty predictable as far as 'twists' go...maybe the twist is that there is no twist, you just don't know...

Press spoiler to read:
Spoiler:
-The Words Left Unspoken-

“Oh my goodness, what happened?” She exclaimed, looking at me worriedly as I sighed, smiling tiredly.

“Well, mum, it’s just business as usual, I’m sure you understand.”

She looked at my bruises and tattered clothes before sighing.

“You were beaten up again, weren’t you?” She said with a sad smile.

“I knew you’d catch on quickly, mother.” I said as I opened the first aid kit.

She watched as I treated my bruises, giving me a worried look every time I cringed in pain. I could also see the curiosity in her eyes.

“I just wanted to feed her.” I explained, looking down.

“She looked so malnourished and was suffering, I couldn’t bear it. When they noticed I fed her some of my lunch, they started mocking me and took the food away from her.”

I looked up to see that mother was holding my hand, which I didn’t notice was clenched tightly.

“I’m sure you can imagine what happened next. I pushed one away to recover the food, but he had friends with him.” I shook my head as I sighed.

“Sometimes I just wish we’d never discovered them. They deserve their freedom, not to be kept in captivity like this and abused.”

Mother wiped away my tears with her finger silently as I attempted to look away.

“I’m proud of you for doing your best for them, my son. Just look at Claire, she looks really happy because you take good care of her.”

I looked up, seeing mother’s smiling face.

“That’s right, Claire…I should go see how she’s doing.” I said, standing up and making my way to her room.

Claire was a Nekogirl, a species that an Adventurer discovered while exploring the deep jungle of Lemuria. It was a species that, as documented so far, consisted of only females. They looked human, except they were full of fur and had feline characteristics, hence the name.

This was a rare chance to get to know this new species, to co-exist with them peacefully. However, the world is not so simple. Greedy businessmen hired hunters to capture them and now, the trading of Nekogirls has become a commercial industry.

It makes me sick that they’re exploited simply because they’re different and lack the capability to retaliate. They were a peaceful race that never put up a resistance or retaliated in any way to their captors.

As I was thinking about it, I found myself in front of the door to her room. I opened it and saw Claire sitting in her cage, lazily yawning, tail swishing left and right. She noticed me and I think I saw her smile before coming closer within the constraint of her cage.

“Welcome home!” she exclaimed happily, eagerly holding onto the cage bars as I made my way towards her to release the lock.

They were a highly intelligent species. Although they did not understand human language at first, they pick it up very quickly if you tried to teach them.

When I released the lock, she happily leapt at me, pushing me to the floor before rubbing her cheek against mine incessantly. Her fur tickled me and I laughed happily as I tousled her hair.

She really is like a cat, I thought to myself. Her ears perked with happiness and her tail swung left and right whenever I pet her, which I always thought was really cute.

Playing around with her always cheers me up no matter what. But as much as I love her, I sometimes wish I could just set her free so she can return to the wild. However, I knew that if I did that, she would only be captured once again and possibly go to a worse owner.

I figured that I may as well just enjoy my time with her and do my best to care for her. I just wish I could do it openly without the entire world condemning me for it. Even the cage was my dad’s idea because he didn’t want her to run free. I tried to talk him out of it but he wouldn’t listen. At least he allowed her to come out as long as I’m around.

“Master?” She asked, looking up at me.

I looked at her, smiling.

“Claire, I’ll try my best. One day, I’m going to rid this world of all prejudice towards your kind, and then we can be together…Forever.”

She continued to stare at me before burying her face into my chest, rubbing against it happily.

No words were needed; I could tell how happy she was just from her actions.

“When that happens, I also have something very important to tell you…” I whispered as I embraced her.

But for now, I’m happy to just indulge in the happiness Claire has brought into my life. I promised myself that I would never let anything harm her.

I eventually felt her breathing soften and I realised she had fallen asleep. I pulled away and lay her down on the mattress nearby.

I figured it was about time for dinner, so I went to the kitchen, intending to make Claire’s dinner.

As I was preparing her food, I heard the front door open and I didn’t pay it any mind.

“Honey, I’m home!” Dad exclaimed, before slamming the door.

“Welcome home, dear. Dinner will be ready soon so please wait a while.”

“Sure. By the way, where is our son? Playing with that wretched thing again?”

I interjected before mum could reply.

“Shut up, dad! I’m here in the kitchen making Claire’s dinner.”

He’s such a bastard. Sometimes I wonder why I had to be stuck with such a horrible father. In fact, I can’t even believe I’m related to him.

After giving Claire her dinner, I went back to the dinner table. I’d rather eat with Claire, but dad wouldn’t allow me to.

It was mostly a silent dinner, which I prefer because anything that comes out of Dad’s mouth is almost always contempt for the Nekogirls.

“By the way, recently there’s been quite a rise in sales of the Nekogirls. This will be perfect for our investors, I imagine.” He said, thinking about profits as usual.

“That’s great, pops. Congrats to you, I suppose.” I deadpanned immediately after.

Mum frowned at me but dad seemed rather calm.

“I’m sure you’d be really interested as to why this is the case. In fact, it’s been on the news! Not that you’d know because all you care about is that thing in the guest room.”

I gave him a dubious look. Those words sound pretty ominous and I don’t like it one bit.

He raised one eyebrow and switched on the television and tuned it to the news.
Most news stories recently are about the Nekogirl showcase or the Nekogirl circus and other derogatory programs.

“A couple of days ago, ANGA (Anti-NekoGirl Association) shot to death the president’s Nekogirl, after killing at least a dozen assigned guards. Just yesterday the police station was swarmed with reports of Nekogirl deaths by their owners. It seems that ANGA is going around culling Nekogirls indiscriminately.”

I instantly spat my food all over the table as I stared at the screen.

“Recent reports have come from Felix Heights, where…” The news report continued, but it was all white noise to me. It just wasn’t registering in my mind.

“Felix Heights…Isn’t that around our area?” Mum gasped.

Dad chuckled.

“Yes, indeed it is. Then again, even if we lost ours we can just replace her.” He said, voice chock full of sarcasm.

I could only stare blankly at the screen.

I couldn’t bear the thought of losing Claire. I just promised myself today that I’d protect her. What can I do? What should I do?

I couldn’t think straight over my father’s laughter so I bolted from the dinner table towards Claire’s room.

She instantly leapt to her feet in surprise when I burst into the room.

I walked towards her as she seemed to calm down and looked at her straight in the eye.

She was worried for me, I could tell from the look in her eyes. I don’t blame her; I’m not exactly calm right now.

I spent a few precious minutes staring into her eyes before I pulled her into an embrace. I knew what I had to do.

“Claire…I’ll come for you tonight. So please, get ready to leave the house.”

She looked at me, confused, but nodded her head. After reaffirming my resolve, I left the room.

How long has it been since we got away from the town? I wondered as I held Claire’s hand while running.

“Bear with me, Claire. We’re almost there!”

She nodded as I attempted to run faster.

Our destination was my friend’s house; he lived way out in the outskirts of town.

I told him the situation and he agreed to help me out until the whole ANGA thing blows past.

As his house entered my vision, I suddenly felt really relieved. I could faintly see someone waving at me.

“There it is, Claire! That’s to be our home for a while…”I exclaimed joyfully.

I was ecstatic, so much that I didn’t notice something very strange. The figure suddenly held something up which I thought was a flashlight, but then…

*bang*

As soon as I heard that sound, I could feel Claire, whom I had been pulling, fall down.

It was as if time stopped, I instantly froze in place as I struggled to comprehend what just happened.

I stared at her, lying on the floor, covered in blood as she mewled pitifully.

My brain couldn’t comprehend what happened as I stood there, stunned. Eventually, the message registered that she was hurt.

“Claire…Claire! No, no, this can’t be happening!” I exclaimed, panicked.

She looked up at me and smiled weakly through her tears.

“Master…please, hold me…” She whispered softly, as I felt her body grow colder in my arms.

I pulled her into an embrace, tears flowing freely from my eyes.

“No…Claire, don’t leave me…! Didn’t we promise we’d be together…?” I sobbed.

I looked at her face as I held her, and she smiled, once again, through her tears.

“I, too…Wanted to be with master, For…ever…” She said, choking before she closed her eyes, never to open them again.

“We still can! I’ll find a way! So please…don’t leave me alone…”I implored, as I stared at her limp form.

I felt some hands try to wrench me away from her as I struggled with all my might.

“No! No! Let go! I have to get her some first ai…”

That was as far as I got before something was jammed into the side of my neck, feeling a cold liquid sensation with it. The last thing I saw was her smile, tranquil as an angel, even after she had passed on.

That smile of hers would forever haunt me as I was forced to live on without her, and I could do naught but accept my powerlessness that day, to accept the fact that I was unable to save her.

For them exist in this world, unconstrained, only to be captured and exploited simply because they're different, simply because we don't know anything about them. Rather than trying to understand and co-exist with them, Humans merely seek to exert their power over those weaker than themselves.

Was it wrong of me to hope? To hold ideals of a world where we can co-exist together? Was this the price I had to pay for being so...naive?

The memory of her final moments will remain with me until my time comes...where I can finally meet her once again. And when I do, I'll never let her go anymore. I'd finally have the chance to say that I'm sorry for everything, especially for not being able to fulfill my promise.

And to finally be able to tell her the words that were left unspoken…
Xenon FAKKU Writer
Ah, what a tragic tale, Assasin. I didn't expect such an unfortunate set of circumstances, honestly. It has a good back-story, and even teaches a nice moral lesson. I wish it was sweeter and our protagonist could be together with Claire, but sadly I suppose this is an impossibility as the story is. I suppose I wish there was a bit more about who did it, was it his friend who betrayed him or did ANGA catch him on his way? As well, what became of him directly after and how did he live out the rest of his life? I suppose these will go unanswered.

Those things aside, it was great that you managed to develop this for the contest. It pleased me to read your writing again. Well done.
Xenon wrote...
Ah, what a tragic tale, Assasin. I didn't expect such an unfortunate set of circumstances, honestly. It has a good back-story, and even teaches a nice moral lesson. I wish it was sweeter and our protagonist could be together with Claire, but sadly I suppose this is an impossibility as the story is. I suppose I wish there was a bit more about who did it, was it his friend who betrayed him or did ANGA catch him on his way? As well, what became of him directly after and how did he live out the rest of his life? I suppose these will go unanswered.

Those things aside, it was great that you managed to develop this for the contest. It pleased me to read your writing again. Well done.

Honestly, the original draft I made that was about twice the length of this had fleshed out the romance a bit more, as well as the circumstances between him and his friend as well as that ending, with ANGA's involvement.

I had to scrap it to cut the length in half, haha...

Though, I actually originally intended for his life after that to be left up to the interpretation to the viewer. Considering his father, though....I wonder.

Thanks for the review! When I first finished this, I was a bit hesitant to even post it because I wasn't sure it was that good at all...So thanks.
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
I found it entertaining. I am sorry to say that I could not find it tragic because I was more than amused by the description of the Nekogirl creature and why our hero treasured it so much. Was it like an animal? It is kept in cages after all and rather furry. Or was it human?

I can only blame myself for lacking the needed empathy to fully sympathise with the main character and Claire. Never was an animal lover myself and never took to romance.

Like most of your stories, they were easy to understand, the opening dialogue might not get to the point about what Claire was but to your credit it was short. (Not to say that you have to get to the point at the opening, in fact doing so might ruin the story. It is more of the case that I am glad that the opening dialogue was short and gave us an idea of what the main character was.) Please take my remarks as a compliment.
leonard267 wrote...
I found it entertaining. I am sorry to say that I could not find it tragic because I was more than amused by the description of the Nekogirl creature and why our hero treasured it so much. Was it like an animal? It is kept in cages after all and rather furry. Or was it human?

I can only blame myself for lacking the needed empathy to fully sympathise with the main character and Claire. Never was an animal lover myself and never took to romance.

Like most of your stories, they were easy to understand, the opening dialogue might not get to the point about what Claire was but to your credit it was short. (Not to say that you have to get to the point at the opening, in fact doing so might ruin the story. It is more of the case that I am glad that the opening dialogue was short and give us an idea of what the main character was.) Please take my remarks as a compliment.

Whatever you take away from this, be it tragic or entertaining, I'm just happy you thought it was alright, and I'm always happy to see reviews of my work.

And about the Nekogirl...I wanted to describe enough to give you a general idea, but not in too much detail so that your imagination could give you the rest of the information. Just a note though, not everyone thinks of them the same.

And yeah, I wanted to establish the circumstances and personality of our hero, but bogging you down with a long intro is just dreary and really, with the word limit I couldn't work on it that much.
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
That said and done, have you read my entry? It is less than 1500 words! It should take you less than 3 minutes to browse through it. I would really like to know what you think of it.
There's one thing you did that annoys me, and I simply cannot ignore it. You switch tenses a lot. For the most part, it's convention to pick one and stay with it. Is this story told in the past tense or the present tense?

That aside, it was difficult for me to get into this story due in no small part to the worldbuilding. The picture you've painted of this world leads me to believe that the opinion of Nekogirls is overwhelmingly negative. They're feral creatures, they live only because we let them, and so on. That being the case, I can't help but wonder why the selling of them is such a lucrative business in this world as you've implied.

ANGA is another facet of the world that I shake my head at. I'm not saying such an organization wouldn't exist in a setting where Nekogirls are a hot-button issue, but what bothers me is the way it's seemingly handled. The news headline implies that they have a lot of members and are very powerful. When I hear of a group like ANGA however, the first thing that comes to mind is an organization such as the KKK, which (to me) is an extremist group on the fringe. You might fear them, but they don't have anywhere near the kind of power it would take to cross swords with the president.

Overall, it felt very much like the world was out to get our main character or in other words, overly dramatic.

It was mostly a silent dinner, which I prefer because anything that comes out of Dad’s mouth is almost always contempt for the Nekogirls.

I take particular issue with this line. I get that Nekogirls are an important topic in this world, but is there nothing else going on? Is his dad so one-note that almost everything he says is badmouthing Nekogirls in one form or another?

Just yesterday the police station was swarmed with reports of Nekogirl deaths by their owners.

This is another issue I have with the world. First, if the Nekogirls are being killed off by their owners, then whose reporting them to the police? Second, why are the owners even killing their own Nekogirls that they bought with their money? The only reason I can think of is that they're a bunch of rich assholes, but there's nothing to indicate that.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
There's one thing you did that annoys me, and I simply cannot ignore it. You switch tenses a lot. For the most part, it's convention to pick one and stay with it. Is this story told in the past tense or the present tense?

-> Yeah, it's definitely something I haven't gotten over since I started writing, I know it's something I should fix...Thanks for pointing that out.

That aside, it was difficult for me to get into this story due in no small part to the worldbuilding. The picture you've painted of this world leads me to believe that the opinion of Nekogirls is overwhelmingly negative. They're feral creatures, they live only because we let them, and so on. That being the case, I can't help but wonder why the selling of them is such a lucrative business in this world as you've implied.

-> Well, I suppose again that's my fault for not really making it too clear. What I was thinking when I wrote it was that people do think of them negatively, but in the sense as if they're domestic animals. They aren't feral or anything like that...But they're like...Sentient pets?

ANGA is another facet of the world that I shake my head at. I'm not saying such an organization wouldn't exist in a setting where Nekogirls are a hot-button issue, but what bothers me is the way it's seemingly handled. The news headline implies that they have a lot of members and are very powerful. When I hear of a group like ANGA however, the first thing that comes to mind is an organization such as the KKK, which (to me) is an extremist group on the fringe. You might fear them, but they don't have anywhere near the kind of power it would take to cross swords with the president.

-> I don't really want to bring real life politics into this, but rather than the KKK, I was thinking more on the lines of a terrorist group of sorts. But again, there are as many interpretations as there are people in the world so I can definitely understand your point.

Overall, it felt very much like the world was out to get our main character or in other words, overly dramatic.

-> This was the sticking point for me, I wanted to put it in a sense that our main character was one of the only people who actually saw these Nekogirls as an equal, rather than second-grade citizens or rather, domestic pets as other people do...And how someone with a different opinion to the majority doesn't always end well. (Again, Your interpretation is your own and I accept that)

I take particular issue with this line. I get that Nekogirls are an important topic in this world, but is there nothing else going on? Is his dad so one-note that almost everything he says is badmouthing Nekogirls in one form or another?

-> I wanted to flesh this out a bit more, but what I intended to add which I couldn't was that his father owned a company that only got successful because of this lucrative new career. And he's just...trying to convert his son, so to speak, because he knows his son is suffering because of his kindness to them, or wanting him to realise that it was thanks to the Nekogirls that he can live the way he lives now thanks to the career taking off. (But, doing a very bad job of it, I'd say)

Just yesterday the police station was swarmed with reports of Nekogirl deaths by their owners.

This is another issue I have with the world. First, if the Nekogirls are being killed off by their owners, then whose reporting them to the police? Second, why are the owners even killing their own Nekogirls that they bought with their money? The only reason I can think of is that they're a bunch of rich assholes, but there's nothing to indicate that.

-> I think this one is just a misunderstanding, or rather, maybe I phrased that wrongly. What I meant was, The Nekogirls were murdered by ANGA, NOT the owners. "By" in this circumstance is basically the owners reporting it...Not them perpetrating the murder. (This might be my fault actually, I never considered the phrasing could lead it to mean something different entirely).

-->Still, Thank you very much for the review. I appreciate the criticism because coming to terms with criticism is how you get better at something, or at least I believe so. And I do believe I took a few things from your review that is kind of useful, as well as another interpretation of my story which I am always glad to see because...

Well, like I said, many people have different interpretations and it's interesting to find out...Considering that as the Author, I, myself had my own interpretation of the story.
What I was thinking when I wrote it was that people do think of them negatively, but in the sense as if they're domestic animals.

This actually lends itself to another point I have against the worldbuilding that is implicit because of ANGA's existence. If it is widely accepted that Nekogirls are beneath humans, then why would such an organization exist? It wouldn't. There'd be no need to form one. However, the fact that this organization exists implies that the views of Nekogirls' status is not so one-sided, but there's nothing that really hints at this much more balanced state of affairs. The narrator is the only character introduced in the story who thinks they deserve to have more rights. I'd say his mother is neutral, and then there's his father, the other kids who bully him, his friend who may or may not have betrayed him, and of course, ANGA.

-> This was the sticking point for me, I wanted to put it in a sense that our main character was one of the only people who actually saw these Nekogirls as an equal, rather than second-grade citizens or rather, domestic pets as other people do...And how someone with a different opinion to the majority doesn't always end well. (Again, Your interpretation is your own and I accept that)

To that end, your story succeeds, but a little too well if you ask me.

I wanted to flesh this out a bit more, but what I intended to add which I couldn't was that his father owned a company that only got successful because of this lucrative new career. And he's just...trying to convert his son, so to speak, because he knows his son is suffering because of his kindness. (Doing a very bad job of it, I'd say)

I get that his father is at least involved with a company that sells Nekogirls. That he's trying to teach his son a lesson does help explain it better, but without this information, it remains a line that needs work.

-> I think this one is just a misunderstanding, or rather, maybe I phrased that wrongly. What I meant was, The Nekogirls were murdered by ANGA, NOT the owners. "By" in this circumstance is basically the owners reporting it...Not them perpetrating the murder. (This might be my fault actually, I never considered the phrasing could lead it to mean something different entirely).

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

Still, Thank you very much for the review. I appreciate the criticism because coming to terms with criticism is how you get better at something, or at least I believe so. And I do believe I took a few things from your review that is kind of useful, as well as another interpretation of my story which I am always glad to see because...

You're welcome, and I agree absolutely. Every point I brought up was said not out of spite but because I thought it was something that could be improved upon.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
What I was thinking when I wrote it was that people do think of them negatively, but in the sense as if they're domestic animals.

This actually lends itself to another point I have against the worldbuilding that is implicit because of ANGA's existence. If it is widely accepted that Nekogirls are beneath humans, then why would such an organization exist? It wouldn't. There'd be no need to form one. However, the fact that this organization exists implies that the views of Nekogirls' status is not so one-sided, but there's nothing that really hints at this much more balanced state of affairs. The narrator is the only character introduced in the story who thinks they deserve to have more rights. I'd say his mother is neutral, and then there's his father, the other kids who bully him, his friend who may or may not have betrayed him, and of course, ANGA.

--> Well, it is indeed widely accepted that they are beneath humans, but the fact that people still want to keep them as "pets" at all is what ANGA doesn't like, was my thought process.
ANGA, to me, is...well, people who basically don't want to live with something that's not human, and the fact that these "pets" show more intelligence than normal pets scares them. Because logically, they're sentient and, well, smart. They just don't want to accept that "pets" can be as smart as humans. Sooo, they seek to eradicate the existence of them. (Again, this might be more subjective to interpretation more than ever)

To that end, your story succeeds, but a little too well if you ask me.

-->A little too well? Um, I suppose so. Do you mean too much emphasis was placed on that?

I wanted to flesh this out a bit more, but what I intended to add which I couldn't was that his father owned a company that only got successful because of this lucrative new career. And he's just...trying to convert his son, so to speak, because he knows his son is suffering because of his kindness. (Doing a very bad job of it, I'd say)

I get that his father is at least involved with a company that sells Nekogirls. That he's trying to teach his son a lesson does help explain it better, but without this information, it remains a line that needs work.

--> Yeah, it ended up being something I had to cut out, so I definitely hear you.

Yeah, that makes a lot more sense.

Still, Thank you very much for the review. I appreciate the criticism because coming to terms with criticism is how you get better at something, or at least I believe so. And I do believe I took a few things from your review that is kind of useful, as well as another interpretation of my story which I am always glad to see because...

You're welcome, and I agree absolutely. Every point I brought up was said not out of spite but because I thought it was something that could be improved upon.

--> Yep, Thanks. I honestly appreciate that you also took the time to discuss this a bit with me, and if possible, I'll go check out your entry when I have the time.
-->A little too well? Um, I suppose so. Do you mean too much emphasis was placed on that?

Yeah. I think it's too heavy handed.

--> Yep, Thanks. I honestly appreciate that you also took the time to discuss this a bit with me, and if possible, I'll go check out your entry when I have the time.

Looking forward to it.