[Leonard267 Mid Event] My Isekai Adventure Story is a Joke

this is a parody of Isekai tropes that are popular among a lot of Japanese Light Novels

===

Chapter 1 : The Joke

Spoiler:

I was just a guy living an ordinary life. I had quite a number of friends—most of them from the internet. My social life outside net actually exist but I wasn't involved much. As for romantic relationships went, I'm still comfortable with being single, I had no love experience whatsoever, even if people around my age were already married.

I lived my days without a care. As long I was able to pay bills and enjoy my days—even spending eternity like this was alright, until a certain night came.

I slept soundly like usual but upon waking up, I ended in a completely different place. There was no air conditioning and the floor was made outta wood.

There's only a single bed; a window with closed curtains and a lone ebony door. Thankfully it was sturdily roofed, plus quite a lot of space to move around.

Was I kidnapped? I didn't recall procuring anything of value to even risk someone going that far.

Before I was able to question further, a visage appeared out of blue, in which made myself jump from bed and sat upright; squinting my eyes to figure whether I'm seeing things

It's there; I confirmed it. The light enveloped to what could be said, a young girl. She's like an ordinary high-schooler wearing mage robe in RPG games. She had pink hair tied in twin-tail, reaching out to her hips. The figure of hers kinda on the modest side.

"Greetings, [Hero]! My name is [Tutorial Girl] and I'm here to teach you the know-hows of this world. May you become the great savior who will defeat the [Demon King] and bring about peace!"

There was nothing normal about her greeting just now. Maybe it's common knowledge if you're stuck in another world, but looking at this seedy building—it seemed somewhat surreal.

"Before you explain any further, may I ask something?"

Since I at least had a guide, hopefully she would be able to provide satisfactory answers.

...or maybe not.

"My databank do not have all the possible questions, so please refer to those among [Frequently Asked]."

"Well, perfect. Could you please give me the list of those frequently asked questions? I have no idea what kind of place is this."

"I'm really sorry, even the list of questions aren't finished yet...."

She bowed in full apology.

How could they made such an interactive guide girl and yet couldn't even provide the bare minimum of information? Hold on, even with the less-than-helpful clue she knew, I should be able to wring out something.

"In that case: before we go forth, please tell me everything you know."

The girl made a light cough with a sharp 'ahem' tone before forming an explanation.

"In this world, I know one thing—that is, I know nothing."

Geez, this world's creator should learn their priorities first. This guide girl was so humanlike but she's tad unreliable!

When Einstein said that quote, it sounds profound but when this girl's the one saying—it really pissed me off.

Well then, I'd just go along with your game.

"Since you claim to know about 'nothing', you shall explain to me about 'nothing'!"

In the Eastern philosophical teachings, particularly Daoism, there was one excerpt pertaining 'nothingness', 'emptiness' so forth. To know is not to know, emptiness has its content, so on. I wonder what her answer would be.

"Hero, I am not trying to be profound. I dunno jack, honestly."

...I hate that smug expression. When I just thought of something clever only to be played like a damn fiddle.

Well, I myself wasn't sure if it was clever though.

Hmm...how about this, since she's so humanlike let's try teasing her.

"Girl, even if you don't know anything—since you're cute, how about you be my lover?"

I finally said it! This be a lot more embarrassing than I though--

"Please stop fooling around and get on with the tutorial already. I'm leaving, and whether or not you come, fine by me."

So cold....

Maybe she just didn't want to answer any of my questions from the start. Oh well, since I was that type to read the guides before even playing the game, this would be a good change.

I quickly went after her as she opened the door and walked towards a completely white world. A grass pathway could be seeen leading straight to an ominous looking cave. In my left and right, whiteness completely spread as far eyes could see. Reaching through and stepping my foot into the area, I was blocked by an invisible wall—no matter what strength I exert, I couldn't seem to break through.

As I was trailing around the area, the girl just stared at me indifferently at the cave's entrance.

"Well, I guess this is it, hero. All you have to do is enter the cave and defeat the enemy. Best of luck!'

Before I could even ask anything, a bright light enveloped her and she disappeared so quickly.

I really didn't get this world. No explanation why I was ended up here, and no answer to any of my questions as well. I couldn't even figure out anything by observing—it's just so damn empty!

Well then, no harm on entering the tutorial cave, right? If what she said was true, I would get out of here soon and maybe back to my own world!

As I entered the cave filled with hopes--whoever sent me to this world might hate me so much—or I was just really unlucky, were it completely by chance.

Because, what awaited me in front—was the [Demon King].

Xxx

As I entered the cave, a majestic throne room unfolded upon me. Its flooring of glistening marble, with its grand pathway paved in crimson-red silk carpet—to which I currently stood. Pillars with carving of demonic creatures could be seen in my sides. Atop the ceiling was a gaudy looking lamp; its texture made of gold, with lights containing a diamond's sparkle.

The walls had murals depicting epic battle between humans and demons. With the final mural being the decisive fight of the hero and demon king. The interesting thing about it—there was no indication of who's winning or losing—they fought on equal grounds.

Lowering my sight to what's sitting on the throne, my eyes met with theirs; the crimson light in its eyes shone upon me; overwhelming amount of pressure start to bore down and I soon found it hard to breathe.

The demon king was a giant, thirteen horned beast, five times the height of average human. It had red-blackish skin, razor sharp fangs that seemingly could cut even the strongest metals. The shape of his figure was of a bodybuilder about to be arrested from steroid overdose—muscles bulging all around, even I could faintly hear its visible tendon trying to speak Latin.

...or I might just be hearing things due to my nervous breakdown.

"Calm down, hero. Wait...I'm really a hero, right? I need to go home. I miss my everyday job where I could work and enjoy life. Even though it's just a short moment, let's end this."

As I took a step forward, violent rumbling filled the entire throne room and its vibration caused my sight to disorient; my mind numb and filled with so much nausea I felt like vomiting on the spot.

For some unknown reason I was able to resist such pressure coming from the demon king as he finally stood up; his head just one or two meters down the gaudy lamp. We locked eyes again and finally, he spoke:

"You had come, hero. How brave of you to go solo. At this point, I hereby applaud you—for your guts, but especially—your stupidity! Since the beginning of humanity, no one dared to challenge me on their own. Even those who fought with a battalion of their strongest forces, could only win barely as they sealed me—only to wake up the next decade!"

His voice echoed across the entire room and it was so loud I had to cover it with my hands. It had a low-pitched reverb texture, which you would instantly recognize as 'evil' and 'grim'. In short, stereotypical depiction of a dark lord's tone.

I wonder why didn't he mention about my lack of equipment. I was just coming here wearing t-shirt, denim pants and hotel sandals. No swords, armor, accessories whatsoever--don't tell me he actually thought of them as a powerful weapon?

...speak of the devil..

"Huh...why are you just standing here, hero? Pull out your best equipment and fight me! Are you just there mocking me with that getup?"

Ah, I really couldn't stand it! Even if he's all powerful, at the very least he still gave me lots of opportunity window to prepare myself. I felt like, if I didn't go at him seriously, it would seriously dishonor him. Though what could I do? I wasn't even a trained warrior—I just came here in my getup without being informed of anything or taught even a single thing.

How was I supposed to fight the demon king with this anyway? More like, did he really have any shame—putting his all just to fight a completely insignificant bug like me?

....oh right, there's still this.

"What if I told you, I am not the hero? If I'm really a chosen,there's gotta be a proof that I am one. Though as you can see, my great demon lord—I'm merely an ignorant mortal. I just ended up here by accident, not knowing I had disgraced your grand abode merely by stepping inside. O mighty dark lord, please have mercy."

Hearing this, the demon king gazed at me from head to toe. His crimson eyes glinted; sparking a light of that color to rain down on me. Strangely enough, even when I braced for the worst, I didn't feel any sort of nausea from earlier; not even a tinge of pain.

After few moments passed, the eye-straining light finally went out. The demon king, sat back down his throne. Now that I got a closer look, the throne was just a gigantic wooden chair—seemingly out of place to the majestic room, but it was able to sustain that much of weight—just what kind of wood was it?

Maybe I was thinking too much...

There, the demon king rubbed his chin and as if he had ascertained my aptitude, spoke:

"What you said might be correct, I could not prove that you are indeed the hero. Though, the way you could withstand the pressure I exerted, that could force even mightiest adventurers to kneel—just what are you?"

"I'm not sure myself, o great demon lord. I could say that I'm actually a mere mortal, but that would only serve to brought you dishonor."

"To my judgement, you came here without any shred of hostile intentions. I took a glance of your heart—what seemed to be the desire to return towards a mundane life. Normally, I would just kill everyone who came here, but you are different—mortal.

There's something that made you worthy of being here. What was it—the speech with knowledge of respect as opposed to those vulgar-tongued heroes? That's not it. I did not sense any special power coming from you either. Perhaps it's indeed, something even I could not fathom."

As the demon king talked, his voice that's seemingly loud before, seem to be much more gentle. It's as if I was actually conversing with someone of a higher status, not a stereotypical dark lord.

Hmm....pondering about it once again, I could only arrive in this conclusion. Though, it would ruin the entire poignant moment if I did so.

In the end, I kept my mouth shut. Like what they said, silence is gold.

"Yes, apparently you had that wisdom in you. Very well, you have passed my first test. If you can pass the next one, I shall return you back to your world."

...what?

It appears I had dodged calamity by a hair's breadth. So he's been testing me all along!

I wonder in what aspect the test was. Maybe he was trying to assess whether I could read the mood or not? I wasn't sure—better not ask stupid questions.

I hope my foolish self who asked stupid things to that tutorial girl didn't take over.

A sense of deafening silence filled the room as the demon king sat there for what seemed to be quite a time.

Maybe he was testing me again—in that case:

"I am not in a hurry to leave, great demon lord. Please take your time on deciding the test. I shall patiently wait in whichever places you so kindly provide."

"You are the ones who needed rest, mortal. Look at your weary body and dull expression, with lethargic posture akin to old man. Please do not take me that lightly, I have lived for countless years. As such, I was just leisurely waiting for you to excuse yourselves. To think I had such high evaluation at first—I'm a bit disappointed."

"...I hereby apologize for my misconduct..."

"Seeing as you're an ignorant mortal after all, it is my obligation to forgive--do not repeat this another time. Since this will be your final test and those you should not be failing, I will let you ask some questions."

I pondered about what kind of thing intrigued me the most, in which formed my question.

"Great demon lord, can you explain what you meant by 'possessing that wisdom' earlier?"

"You were about to crack a joke earlier—did you think I wouldn't notice? Yes, that peculiar wisdom was 'to tell jokes at appropriate time'. While I think it wasn't a bad joke, it would definitely ruin the solemn mood we're trying to build. Nothing ruins the joke more than telling it at inappropriate time. All the comedians I approve must possess this skill."

I see...so my guess was spot on huh...

Wait..what? So, all of these serious atmosphere built up was actually a punchline?

"How about the second time--what exactly should I do to better my evaluation?"

"It's not really a test per se—but the second wisdom was deciding whether you want to play the straight man or the funny man to the silence. If you're the straight man, you should just jab at me: saying 'eh, demon lord? What are you getting all silent of sudden!' while you're at it, you can be a bit shameless and start boasting. In response of that, I would just play the funny man part and say 'my bad, I guess I just had seen the amusing spectacle of that hero I just roasted last millennium'

If you're playing the funny man, even if you just slept on the spot is enough. Or you could just try blurting out some stupid jokes in the middle, where I would just throw a jab at you 'what the hell are you talking 'bout! You're dead as a fish, go get some sleep!'

When you're trying to be all logical like this, it gets boring! So you get why am I saying? Although it was a grave mistake for pros, as a beginner comedian you can learn from your past mistakes."

What? So the demon king expected me to become a comedian?

It became so surreal seeing the intimidating figure of a dark lord talking about this stuff.

"....sorry great demon lord, I don't expect that you were the sort to like comedy."

"How rude! Yes, that's a funny jab, but it's really rude of you. I shall forgive you again since at least you're starting to learn. Listen there, in my life, there's nothing more important than comedy. After living in such boredom for so many years, just waiting for someone capable to seal me--comedy was the only thing able to raise me up.

What a pity, when I thought of you coming in like that, I thought you're a comedian. It was really amusing that I started to think up the most cliche lines I could muster—well that reaction was entertaining."

Wow, he really said it at the appropriate time. Though, seeing his sinister appearance—I didn't even dare to laugh.

Before I had the liberty to ask again, he coughed a bit, making an 'ahem' sound echoing all throughout the throne room. A crimson light enveloped him, and his whole body shrank to what looked like a gray-haired old man.

His eyes were crimson, wearing a black, long-sleeved robe. His posture was upright and he was about a head taller than me.

"A major part of it was due to me keeping this appearance, tee hee!"

....that unbefitting cutely gesture he made was so unreal I couldn't even laugh or made a jab.

"That's a good expression, you have gift to be a comedian. When you're taking the final test, I shall be in this form so don't you worry."

"So...pop...great demon king--"

"Just calling me pops is fine, you need to chill a lot in order to tell jokes. Now then, for the third test—I will let you guess first! If you get it correct, I will give you additional clues on how you'll go about it."

"Telling you a joke?"

"You got the grounds right, but more exactly—it has to be something original, not puns, anything situational like our jabs earlier. not those with boring formats like 'three guys walk into the bar' or memes—don't you think I had not known those from your world.

I like jokes, but I just couldn't get myself to be amused by puns. Really, when puns are involved, people just throwing out tasteless no-effort just to be funny. I once roasted that hero from last millennium into the underworld because his puns were just horrible! I really HATE that guy."

It seemed like the demon king had a bad bone with the hero from last millennium. I wonder what kind of bad puns did he told—on the second thought—I don't wanna know.

"So, pops. What kind of criteria should I fulfill in order to get a pass?"

I really need to get home and outta this god-forsaken place, I'd best better make it first try, since it's my only chance.

"Just do your best to make one of your own. It shouldn't be that hard for you-- take it easy. I'm providing a place for you to rest that's far better than the crap you've started with. I guess that damn vixen treated you like dung, didn't she?"

Speaking of which...

"You know of the tutorial girl?"

"She was the reason I got trapped here in the first place. Though, she kept bringing amusing individuals to me. It would kept me from getting bored for an entire decade."

It was quite surprising. I thought she would be of completely no relation to the demon king whatsoever? Did she actually feigned ignorance after all, because of my stupid questions?

Totally no idea, maybe I should further about her—no, wait...

"Hmm..."

I wonder how did the demon king ended up here? Did he went here after he got sealed after all? He said something about waking up every decade, before telling me that the individuals brought her would entertain him for the amount of period--that might be it.

Seeing me pondering about in place, never stepping forward or back—the demon king spoke again.

"We've wasted too much words of the story just chit-chatting like this, now off you go. Make me a good joke, ya hear? When you're ready, just make effort to call for me and you shall be in the throne room shortly.

Take your time, but not too long. Someone else might come here, and I would prioritize them first. You might be stuck there for long, or you'd get lucky if that person got done quickly."

Before I could even swallow my saliva, upon hearing his words, he flicked his finger and I got teleported into a nice place, akin to a five star hotel room.

Maybe it's not bad to be here forever.

Chapter 2 : The Punchline

Spoiler:

I was once a young man living an ordinary life. Going to work, paying my bills and enjoying life. My social activity was there but I didn't really pay much care to it. Most of actual peeps I knew came from the net; we usually talked about games we play; shows we watch, novels we read etc. Nothing that serious, it's all just for fun and our relationship never progressed that close.

One day, I got swept in the stories containing the theme of someone from the modern world that by assorted means, ended up coming to a fantasy world. The usual trend of the main characters being either NEET or / and a loner—basically those who were generally deemed as failure in life. If you took away my job, I most likely would portray your usual MC.

I thought, it's okay just able to support my daily life by working earnestly and spending in a frugal manner. No need for dreams or ambitions, just simply earn your keep. I always resigned to marry, seeing as I had to work much harder than what I already did.

While I was okay with work, I didn't want to work hard for someone else--I was a selfish person. I also wasn't especially fond of children; they're just so noisy, self-entitled annoying brat that should be purged. Thinking of the prospect of raising one brought my patience to its limit.

The bottom line being, I liked being alone and enjoying my freedom.

Now, how the hell did I end up in this world again? Oh right, while I was sleeping one day, I somehow got here. I was really confused, I forgot to pinch my cheeks or hit myself to confirm whether this was a dream.

I started out in a really shitty place, even less than my old world—so I really want to come back. The tutorial girl was so unreliable. Still, thanks to her I manage to end up in a nice room, simply because I managed to amuse the demon king.

I didn't feel like going back anymore.

Looking at this room, there laid a king-sized bed that's really comfy; computer system with godlike internet connection and specs; TV Set having full-surround system; bathroom made of marble flooring and luxurious amenities. Food of various cuisines were served in a buffet table, so delicious and it invigorated my entire body; its taste nourishing my soul. Bookcases in which the contents would swap regularly every week and I could also request any book I wanted, ending up with great reads of my personal selection.

There were also windows with a full view of beautiful flower gardens at morning; of outlying clearing canopied by assorted trees and vegetations at noon. At the evening, various sunsets from different beaches and mountains. During the night, it was the most spectacular. At the first night, I took a shower and changed my clothes to the ones prepared: comfy looking robe similar to what the demon king's wearing before.

I rolled around in bed, thinking of what kind of words to say, that I actually didn't want to go back to my old world.

That was when I fell asleep during the evening time, showered by the sunset rays, along the faint sound of ocean waves. At time I woke up—it was night, countless rays of light illuminated the room. In front of me was a celestial starfield, consisting of assorted colors. The entire sky was black and there were no grounds present.

I could see differing landscapes coming to view—plethora of stars and planets I've never laid eyes upon. All my conviction was struck as a burning star of diamond came to view; It left shining trails that scattered all over, spreading its white temperance, illuminating the black vastness of space. Not long after, its light started to get rather bright, until one point--it finally exploded.

The sound was akin to fireworks. The aftermath of its final burst spread all across the space, finally forming the shape of a butterfly. As the image of it came in full display, it flapped its wings, flying towards a distant star; violent gusts of wind to blew across in its wake—knocking a good amount of stars off their supposed path.

It was breathtakingly beautiful. I want to stay here forever.

To make long story short, within these days spent in this room, I indulged in plethora of pleasures and found myself got even more hedonistic each day.

I would eat whatever I want, no longer any reservations. Sleep as much I desire, dream for duration it persisted—without interruptions.

I would game how long I liked, no obligations shall shackle me.

I would spent my time not being bound by anything, not even trying to think up some original joke.

As I could ate anything without becoming fat, indulge in tons of gaming, watching shows—reading etc--there's no problems. Having all those harmful effects gone, all those inhibitions of mine went down the drain. I slowly found myself getting so utterly obsessed by everything I'd like, to the point I didn't even want to think about going back.

The withdrawal symptom from being in a life of pleasures beyond imagination, onto my daily life that's out of sudden seem so filled with shit—I just couldn't stand the thought. If the demon king insisted on sending me, I'd rather have him kill me instead, or I'd just commit suicide once I was back.

I kept indulging myself in wallows of pleasure and depravity for who knows how long. Even if I couldn't go out and explore the world, it was alright. Rather, being confined in this self-indulgent room made me lost all desire of stepping outside.

Being confined in here forever was like a heaven granted upon.

Unfortunately, the bliss wouldn't last that long.

One day came where the demon king personally arrived in my dream.

Xxx

It was unlike all of those dreams I had thus far. Most of them were filled with utter pleasure. It seemed to me, even if I had been living in excess happiness, I never got tired of it. The need of amusement became something like the air I needed to breathe.

Of course, in the long times I spent, I got quite a lot of recollections memorable enough for me to pen on my notebook or write on the computer. Concerning the demon king, when he appeared in my dream, I was always the loyal retainer. We adventured through lands far and wide, slaying monsters and subjugating corrupt human governments.

The demon king army always triumphed over the hero and there was one certain dream where the force even managed to slay their god. This made him the true god of this world and able to decide this world's natural law. What he did, contrary to my expectations, wasn't total domination. All he wished was for the humanity to advance naturally, until one day, there would be someone strong enough able to defeat him—thus becoming the world's new god.

Even if they would be corrupt and cruel, the new demon king would arise with his legacy and built up their forces from the stratch, rinse and repeat—until they became the world's ruler. It seemed, demon king's death, with its new legacy only happened if being defeated after transcending into a god. When they were defeated normally, they would just be sealed for a decade.

I learned a lot about how the world the demon king lived, their societies and so forth within the dreams. I also had ones pertaining my own world, but they seemed to be growing fainter as my resignation to go back increase. Once that sort of dream came by, it's usually a nightmare. It gave me a wake up call on how I used to think my old life was beautiful.

Though, the dream I had just now, was unlike any other. I was completely lucid; it didn't feel like being inside my slumberland.

I stood there in the throne room in which I arrived long time ago. Different from the getup I wore back, now I stood with the black robes and straight posture towards the demon king.

Maybe since it's actually been a long time, I felt a sense of nostalgia to be had. When I looked in the mirror recently before I had this dream, I didn't look any older though. Might be due to his ability to create natural laws for his controlled space, at least in this world.

What stood in front of me, now of much closer distance, was the same old man I met while back, from what was once a devil on steroids to a sharp-eyed comedy-loving gramps.

With a long ahem that filled the entire room with echoes, the demon king spoke in the heaviest tone I've heard since like forever.

"My time of revival is nigh. It's been many years since you first came here. I've seen people coming and going but none of them would be so hedonistic and indulgent as you were."

So..the time was almost up, huh. It was a long ride, but I still want to stay and be my indulgent self.

"I..couldn't refute any of those sayings, pops. I really didn't wanna go back to my world."

The thing which I still kept to heart was about calling him pops instead of the usual 'great demon lord'.

"Couldn't be helped, eh? When I first saw you, I've seen mountains of restrained desires coming to full view. Those that you didn't want anyone to find out—you built walls sky high to hide your interests. Yet, while you're alone, you would be totally crazed.

It was strange enough, how you could isolate yourself in that little world for so many years—without meeting an actual people! It pains me to say this but, you've made an actual joke of your own life. Seeing you so fixated on your place thus far, I just couldn't say right away I'll send you back right?"

"....does that mean I actually failed the test.."

I was brimming with apathy. The reward by itself was more like a bad omen. I'd rather perish here than having to get back.

"Not exactly. For the condition, you've just got to think upon an original joke. No memes, boring formats and puns. Aside from that, just think of something which came straight from your heart. It doesn't even have to be funny or amusing to me.

Just give me your best shot—we don't have much time left."

"First of all, what will you give to me if I pass? What will happen if I fail?"

"All of those I will only answer, after you finish your joke. Now, I shall accept no more questions. All beside your serious attempt at humor would be met by silence. Failure to do so within the time limit would result in complete annihilation. You wouldn't go anywhere—forever existing within the void—unable to be reincarnated everywhere."

For the first time in a while, I felt overwhelming amount of pressure rushing through me. It didn't look good if everything was empty and all that's left was to see my mind deteriorate, until I was all but nothingness. I truly, didn't want that!

"....I.....uh...I shall tell a joke."

"Continue."

"My life was a joke. I was born in an absurd world without being given a choice. Every laws in there was unreasonable—what I could do was being completely powerless as the world continued to make my life harder. There was even a lot of taboos and restriction that interfered with my desires, even if I wouldn't even hurt anyone by indulging in it. Since everyone was okay with these rules, I ended up not giving a damn to my dreams anymore. I thought my life was perfect just like that.

I couldn't be more wrong than that. It's because I was powerless to think and act, to achieve my dream because it's so hard. I was the type that wanna be spoon fed with pleasure and glory. I would just be satisfied with minimal results by doing the least effort. Even if my life would be happier if I worked hard and I could end up taking it easy, I always thought taking the difficult path was never worth it.

I just want pleasure and no more pain. Even if, without pain, I could never know the meaning of pleasure. Without experiencing my terrible old life, I couldn't indulge in such bliss around here. Nevertheless, I still thought, even if being happy would be meaningless—it's better than wallowing in meaningless depression and sadness.

When I thought about happiness, the first thing that came to me is laughter.

There are meanings in crying, being depressed, angry and stressful. Though if I had to choose one expression, there was nothing better than a laugh. With laughter you could express your sadness, depression, happiness, satisfaction, rage or even laughing at the expense of others.

The bottom line is, my life is shit. I learned what my life should be and finally achieved it. Realizing this, I burst into laughter since I couldn't put the words to express it, and a laughter could mean so many things.

So from now on, every time I encounter something, if I didn't know how to react, I would just laugh--it solves everything."

As I finished my long-winded talk in which I didn't find funny in the slightest, claps could be heard along with loud laughter resonating from the old man. He seemed pretty amused—what part of it was actually funny?

"Splendid. I have waited many years for you to come out of isolation, the results truly do not disappoint. I would like to give you some headings on what to do next but, we still have a bit of time. I was curious about something: when you say that laughter solved everything, I also heard the same thing about smiles. I am particularly quite adept at using smiles to vent out my emotions, best of all—while laughter was noticable—you can do it subtly by smiling."

"I really didn't think that far ahead. Since I was always alone, laughing by myself seemed to be natural."

"While laughing by yourself is good, I think laughing at the appropriate occasion with everyone is much better. That cannot do, kid. Your personal growth would just become retarded when you didn't converse with people on regular basis. If you want to be saved, both your existence and your soul—you can join me in my revival. There was a lot of lost souls which I manage to recruit on the decade's span, but since you're the last one—you might be special."

"I think anything would be alright, rather than being in my old world."

"Think again. I'm not saying, while working as my retainer life would be easy. It might be even harder than your old life, but I shall give you a choice: do you want to go back to your world, or work under me?"

Even if it's hard, it was apparent that I had sown karma towards the demon king. I didn't know the details but, he personally granted me a living space in which I could indulge shamelessly for a long time. It wasn't due to my hard work or anything—it was just given to me, and I need to return the favor. Seeing as I was the last one, the things I owed might be far above the rest.

"I had thought about it—from the beginning, I had no other choice. At the very least, I'm okay with this."

"Excellent, excellent. Now let us walk together onto the portal—in which we shall strive towards a grand goal."

That's how I finally became one of many retainers to the demon king. As for what would be my position or my contributions, that would be story to tell for another time.

I could tell you one thing though.

The tutorial girl sure was annoying as usual today. I couldn't focus on making the best jokes I could muster. The demon king also seemed to be less amused than usual.

Xxx

My master, the great demon king decided to postpone his revival for the time being. At the present moment, he didn't wish for any lost souls to come, thus leaving only me, his cute retainer and that creepy guy who dared to hit on me many years prior.

You might say my job was really boring, but fret not. Most of my activities during the break was quite similar to what that guy was doing, although I wasn't impulsive at all. When people came, various men and women—it's kinda like getting a new toy to play around with. I would just bully them until I'm satisfied and led them to master.

Though as for that guy, I really couldn't stand him. Just how did master found his existence so special as if to postpone his revival for the time being?

"He was an amusing fool. His views of life was idealistic and naive, but the ideals he pursue were boundlessly nihilistic, sometimes contradicting each other—yet he still went for it. I said all my words of praise with a hint of sarcasm mixed in, though that idiot wouldn't get a hint even once."

"Knowing that, why did you keep him here, master? You could just toss him away and keep someone a lot more competent."

"It wasn't a matter of competence, you see. That fool had shown me, I might need to rest my tired soul. All those repeated years of failure of subjugating humanity, and the times being sealed only to meet tons of incompetent whelp, in which I sent most of them as fodder for the demons. Even if they're accepted as my retainers, it wasn't before my revival, that their consciousness would emerge.

Matters aside, you could say I had sown karma from him showing me different sides to enjoy life. The least I could do, was to keep him indulging for longer. I would do the same and rest myself away."

Saying that, for the first time ever in my years of service, the demon king retreated to his chamber. The world was so lonely since he never came back, and no lost souls ever wondered here.

I would be damned if I tried disturbing my master's rest, so my everyday activity eventually consisted of pestering that guy, returning to my place to relax—rinse and repeat.

Soon, I realized in this world there's only me and him present. I somehow got too attached to this creepy guy since there's no one around and he...was actually pretty decent, able to hold normal conversations and all.

Though, it's not like I would fall for him or anything. My life was of servitude to my master, great demon king.

Do not misunderstand! I won't ever fall for this person.

Maybe a little sometimes--but I soon would forget it. If not, I would bang my head onto a wall until I got an amnesia. Although I actually never got to do it.

How annoying, why was it, I had to spend my every day with him?

Master, please come back soon. That world patiently awaits for your arrival.

Until then, I would make a bet on what would come first. Your revival or the moment when his jokes wouldn't be so terrible.

Even if it's terrible...I had to admit....I enjoyed hearing it..a little.

~ Fin ~
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
It certainly reads like a visual novel. Emphasis on first person, plenty of to and fro dialogue, a lot of description on how the main character is feeling. It would be a challenge to skim through in one read and I had to slow down.

Furthermore, it was a bit challenging for me to figure out what was happening in the story. I had to sift through lines of banter between the girl and the hero, the demon and the hero and inner monologue of the hero to find out that the girl tasked him to slay the demon and the demon wanted our hero to become a comedian for his own amusement.

I suppose I can tolerate this sort of writing in a visual novel because it has some audio and visual cues and I am forced to read slower in a visual novel since they don't typically throw us walls of texts like a proper novel.

My gripes about the format of the story aside, it seems as if you are having fun with stereotypes of typical roleplaying games. Personally, I wish the demon tasked our hero to kill the girl who sent him on that mission. Quite mean of the girl to ask you to kill innocent demons don't you think?
leonard267 wrote...
It certainly reads like a visual novel. Emphasis on first person, plenty of to and fro dialogue, a lot of description on how the main character is feeling. It would be a challenge to skim through in one read and I had to slow down.

Furthermore, it was a bit challenging for me to figure out what was happening in the story. I had to sift through lines of banter between the girl and the hero, the demon and the hero and inner monologue of the hero to find out that the girl tasked him to slay the demon and the demon wanted our hero to become a comedian for his own amusement.

I suppose I can tolerate this sort of writing in a visual novel because it has some audio and visual cues and I am forced to read slower in a visual novel since they don't typically throw us walls of texts like a proper novel.

My gripes about the format of the story aside, it seems as if you are having fun with stereotypes of typical roleplaying games. Personally, I wish the demon tasked our hero to kill the girl who sent him on that mission. Quite mean of the girl to ask you to kill innocent demons don't you think?

as for me i kinda prefer the format when it's mostly the story and less descriptions. it's not just visual novels but the translated web novels in JP, a lot of them had a similar way of writing. I didn't really like those with tons of descriptions since I don't feel they're important enough I can just fill in all the blanks with my own imagination.

ah yes now that you think about it lol though since he's a comedian probably he would kill the girl by making her laugh until dead.