[Summer 2014] My Bluebird

DatYuriThough Goddess of Nature
I decided to write something very quick for the summer writing event in case my main entry doesn't get completed in time. Anyway, I used to write a lot of poetry that had some kind of metaphoric meaning to it, I even got published in two anthologies so I decided to try writing in my old style.

My Bluebird

I once found a bird with a broken wing; a bluebird to be precise,

It was horrible trying to watch him fly, his plight never leaving my eye.

I decided to take him under my wing whilst I sang joyous songs until spring.

But my Bluebird never learnt to fly, his plight remained in my eye.

I fed and bathed him every day as love soon returned to his eyes “Oh little bluebird, why must you suffer this fate? Abandoned by friends, family perhaps even a lover? If only I could offer you some kind of blank slate…” I cried by his side as he stayed silent, mending his pride.

Winter soon came for me and my little bluebird, the cold told an unmerciful tale as he froze and with him, my own fragile heart broke.

Fortunately God gave me another chance as I thought of France, my little Bluebird returned to me with his wing anew as leisurely winds blew.

But with every profit comes a loss and my little Bluebird learnt to fly, abandoning my side as I solemnly cried: “I wish I had wings so I may follow you, my sweet little Bluebird who was abandoned by his friends, family and perhaps even a lover”

I once found a bird with a broken wing; who left me with a broken heart. My plight would be unseen by anybody’s eye while I solemnly cry.

Pain is something we all must go through, be it emotional or physical, lest we shall never grow out of our shells; it is what makes us human. Never forsake pain, it is what tells us we are human. Never judge pain; never judge my (or your own) Bluebird.

leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
I am sure that you are not referring to an actual Bluebird aren't you? When it comes to poems, I would have to do a bit of interpretation. The poem strikes me as if it were describing the trouble one has to go through to take care of someone or something under his or her charge like a child or a company or his or her job prospects.

What was on your mind while writing this?
it's a nice poem, I like how it rhymes and sounds :D

btw bluebird is a taxi company in my country =)
leonard267 wrote...
I am sure that you are not referring to an actual Bluebird aren't you? When it comes to poems, I would have to do a bit of interpretation. The poem strikes me as if it were describing the trouble one has to go through to take care of someone or something under his or her charge like a child or a company or his or her job prospects.

The poem itself is more of a representation of pain and the 'Trials and tribulations' we are forced to go through in life whether it be physical or emotional.

No it's not a real Bluebird, I intentionally did it so you could interpret it any way but if you wanted to know what I was thinking, I was thinking about the suffering of people and how some wounds take longer to heal. This is seen in the reference to "broken wing" and then the literal meaning of this "broken heart" if that makes sense.
DatYuriThough wrote...
leonard267 wrote...

The poem itself is more of a representation of pain and the 'Trials and tribulations' we are forced to go through in life whether it be physical or emotional.

No it's not a real Bluebird, I intentionally did it so you could interpret it any way but if you wanted to know what I was thinking, I was thinking about the suffering of people and how some wounds take longer to heal. This is seen in the reference to "broken wing" and then the literal meaning of this "broken heart" if that makes sense.

I see. The contents of the poem appeared to me to be what a parent or a minder would say to those put under their care. I have a few poems to share with you. Is it alright if I post them here?

I treat poems like a very short and truncated version of a much longer story, hopefully with little interpretation as possible. I don't really like having the reader to interpret what I write, even poetry.
leonard267 wrote...
DatYuriThough wrote...

I see. The contents of the poem appeared to me to be what a parent or a minder would say to those put under their care. I have a few poems to share with you. Is it alright if I post them here?

I treat poems like a very short and truncated version of a much longer story, hopefully with little interpretation as possible. I don't really like having the reader to interpret what I write, even poetry.

Yeah that's fine, please post them if you wish.

I treat them like the inner most thought of the writer posted in a beautiful and passionate way that is open for anyone to interpret them as they wish. That way almost anyone can enjoy them and debate the meaning of them.
DatYuriThough wrote...

Yeah that's fine, please post them if you wish.

I treat them like the inner most thought of the writer posted in a beautiful and passionate way that is open for anyone to interpret them as they wish. That way almost anyone can enjoy them and debate the meaning of them.

Here is an example of what I wrote a few months ago. Same silly style as before:

1. This was a response on how I would write a disaster 'poem' which are usually in very bad taste. The disaster in question is the financial crisis which probably ruined more lives than any other disaster:

Everyday ought to pass
With a disaster poem written for laughs:

Oh beautiful bonds, beautiful interest free bank loans!
Alas, I have to moan and groan.
It was some time quite late
In the year 2008
When my bonds turned into junk
And the banks won't give me loans cause they've sunk.

Savings in bonds are destroyed!
Investors are more than annoyed!
Lives and livelihoods are ruined!
Families are reduced to eating gluten!
Children are asking in class
How did that come to pass?

On that subject can I say
That lots of debtors on one fine day
Decided that they couldn't pay.
The creditors and the banks went astray
And observers went, 'this is gay'.

The banks refused to give
Firms and companies can no longer live
The economy is now stagnant
Not a good time to get pregnant.

What should be done
After what has been said and done?
For starters,
if this advice doesn't go into the gutters,

Don't let the speculators anywhere near the market for goodness sake!
Why don't you create a distinction between retail and speculative investment and real investment, give or take?
Real investors won't buy up debt from people who don't pay back what they own!
That said, get Medusa to turn these defaulters into stone!
Now that this poem is done
Shall we go on and talk about 911?

2. This is my description of the glowering Saber who so happened to be dressed in a Santa costume with the Santa Hat from the 'Nasuverse' or TYPE-MOON.

Woman, you usually look so glum
If I prodded you, you'd bite off my thumb
Now seeing you with a gift.
All of sudden makes that thing in my pants lift.
Now seeing you with that smile.
Makes me think that you stopped drinking bile.
Isn't it a shame that I can't see your face?
Take off that hat, it's a disgrace!
Wow that's quite good.

I've read through the replies and it's interesting that you wrote of 'the bluebird' with a broken heart in mind. My interpretation is a tad bit different as I assume the bluebird is representative of a person hence the capitalization a bit into the poem.

I imagined it to be the author taking care of someone who was heartbroken themselves in some way, but the author grows attached and begins to love the person. When the person is healed, unbeknownst to the author's feelings, the person takes their leave. The author is left heartbroken, and becomes the next 'bluebird'.

Anyways, really enjoyable!
xninebreaker wrote...
Wow that's quite good.

I've read through the replies and it's interesting that you wrote of 'the bluebird' with a broken heart in mind. My interpretation is a tad bit different as I assume the bluebird is representative of a person hence the capitalization a bit into the poem.

I imagined it to be the author taking care of someone who was heartbroken themselves in some way, but the author grows attached and begins to love the person. When the person is healed, unbeknownst to the author's feelings, the person takes their leave. The author is left heartbroken, and becomes the next 'bluebird'.

Anyways, really enjoyable!

You're probably the closest to what I originally had in mind when I wrote it. I don't like to expressly say the actual meaning about any poem I write since then I feel like it takes part of it's essence away but just for the sake of responding I will a little.

It more or less is reflective of a previous relationship of mine, I tried to care for a person and show them love and compassion, only to find they would leave me to take a more 'free spirited' stance on relationships. I thought of animals that made me think of freedom and birds came to me. They defy gravity to sore over landscapes, defying one of the most basic laws of our planet making them seem like the most free of animals to me. Why blue? Well blue is the colour of sadness and is used to foreshadow and reflect the sadness in the poem. It's a little melancholic.

And yeah, I suppose the author does become the next 'bluebird' waiting for someone to heal them.

Anyway, thanks for reading it and sharing your thoughts Nine, always a pleasure ^_^