[Summer 2014] The Sound Bodies Made/I Not Crazy Am You Are

Entry 1: The Sound the Bodies Made

It's not about the battle nor is it about the war. It's not about outcome or probable cause. It's about what was seen, heard and done during a battle in a war. Word Count: 309

Let me know what you think. All feedback welcome as always, blah, blah blah.

Spoiler:
The boots marched en masse to the beat of the drums, a sea greater than the browned grass that surrounded them. They were looking for a fight, so I gave them a fight even if the good fight had been fought out of me.

The first shots rang out. Maybe my friends wouldn’t have stood there and took them if their minds weren’t so clouded by puffs of acrid black smoke. The lines quavered and quaked but stood strong and fast.

Our training kicked in. Spots were filled and muskets took aim, muscle-memory guided. The return volley cracked through the air, was heard †˜round the world. They dropped like men too tired from burdens too heavy.

Bayonets affixed, we met their charge. We did not break. No, we were simple men, but we stuck to our guns. Steel bit bone, cut swaths of fury through fear.

The cylinder of my revolver turned like clockwork, but I fumbled the hammer and let the grip slip through my fingers.

“Slapped by words with more sting,” the joke flashed through my mind. But the campfires were gone and their warmth along with them.

A house, ramshackle yet comforting in all the right ways. A goodbye, a pretty smile. The spill of beer on scratched, worn down wood. A life, gone by in the blink of an eye. Mine? It hardly felt like it, and I didn’t care. Why should I under the press of stinking, sweating bodies, or the heat of the overbearing sun?

Heat. I shuddered involuntarily at the sensation. I started at the realization. I wasn’t dead yet.

I swallowed precious breath in the swell of the melee. I pulled my saber free from its sheath with a rasp that could have spoken of death. I’ll never know. The battle was too damn loud to hear such a singular noise.

Entry 2: I Not Crazy Am You Are

The story focuses on Victoria, a brilliant but troubled girl in high school. All feedback accepted. If there's a problem, I'd like a pointer in the right direction to fix it. Word Count: 2,917

Spoiler:
Summer. The end of school once more, the herald of sneakers treading the path home, never to take it up again for the following three months.

Summer. A boring, monotonous--and not to mention hot--stretch of days that dragged on mercilessly.

Maybe Victoria would have been relieved having no more essays hanging over her head if she hadn’t minded doing them in the first place. If only she had friends, she told herself, time would not be so sluggish. Somehow she doubted it even as the thought crossed her mind.

Life had always been like that. Unfair, if one were to sum it up in a single word.

Work flew by in a well-organized but nevertheless tumultuous whirlwind. When the dust settled, she was left with nothing to do and only the scorn of others to bask in. As if it were her fault they moved so slow.

Victoria was sweating freely by the time she made it home. Heat waves buzzed around fresh, black asphalt like flies around a carcass. She grabbed her key chain by its charm, a bow-wearing skull.

Her parents met her with habitual greetings she returned in kind. She set her backpack at the foot of her bed and pulled out the paperback she had been reading when the final bell rang. A couple hours later, she bent a page to mark her place so she could answer the call of dinner.

“Another year down, eh?” her mother said.

Victoria scarcely stopped eating. “Yep.”

“How do you think you did on your finals?”

“Well enough.” She aced them all, and she knew it, but there was no point in saying it. Her parents knew as well. The real question was why they bothered asking. Their praise was a foregone conclusion. And if there was one thing that annoyed her more than undeserved hatred, it was undeserved adoration. They may as well tell her †˜good job’ for remembering to breathe. It was that simple.

“Victoria,” came her father’s stern voice. An easy smile crossed his face. “Go easy there. You don’t wanna choke do you?”

She swallowed and felt the chewed up spoonful of meat loaf glide down her gullet. Too much salt. She reached for her glass and took a gulp of water. “I’m fine.”

“She is a growing girl,” her mother chimed in. That got a chuckle from her father. If there was a joke in there, Victoria missed it.

---

When the time came for a shower, Victoria was glad to seize the opportunity to peel her clothes off. She sighed audibly as she undid her bra and let it drop to the floor. The wretched thing had a tendency to chafe terribly. Why women had to subjugate themselves to them was another mystery that wasn’t likely to have an answer. One day it was fine to go without one. The next, her breasts had gotten bigger and all of the sudden her mother was nearly yelling at her when she tried to slip outside bra-free.

She pattered out of the bathroom on bare feet when she was done, clad in her pajamas. Her parents had long since stopped forcing her to bed at whatever arbitrary time they deemed suitable, but she didn’t see much reason to stick around, so back to her room she went.

Night had arrived, but it would be some time yet before full-on inky blackness descended. Even then, it would never be truly dark. There were no street lamps by her house, but there were plenty further into town, and their glow would carry into midnight and beyond.

She opened her window and let the slightest of breezes roll in, too light to ruffle her damp hair.

The paperback remained where she had set it last, at the edge of the bed, but she didn’t have the slightest inclination of continuing it at the moment. So instead she sat, back to the wall, with only her thoughts for company.

Several minutes later, a grasshopper landed on the ledge of the window just on the other side of the screen. This wasn’t the first time it showed itself, though Victoria couldn’t say how she knew it was the same one. The pattern on its thorax looked just the same as any other grasshopper’s, but it had a familiarity about it that was hard to place.

She wouldn’t have cared about it if it weren’t staring at her. She returned its gaze, but it was a fearless bastard.

“You’ve got me at a disadvantage,” Victoria said. “You know where I live and can bother me any time you wish. On the other hand, I don’t have a single shred of information about you.”

It blinked, or whatever the grasshopper equivalent was of saying, “So?”

“You’re absolutely right. A pointless observation. Life isn’t fair in the least, but the sword cuts friend and foe alike. For instance, you don’t even have school to occupy your time.”

“Neither do you at the moment,” she imagined it saying.

“Touché.”

“Why not do whatever it is you honors students do in your spare time?”

“The thing is, an honors student isn’t an honors student if there isn’t anything to gain honors in. Likewise, you could hardly be called a grasshopper if you didn’t have grass to hop around in.”

“I’d make do with windows.”

“Then you’d be a windowhopper, wouldn’t you?” It sounded so absurd. She would have laughed if she wasn’t talking to a grasshopper. It didn’t laugh either, which was better and far less awkward than laughing at something that wasn’t funny.

---

Summer. If only Victoria’s town had more to offer than a public pool and a movie theater, she wouldn’t be so bored. Somehow she doubted it.

She lazed around her room, determined to finish the new paperback when the urge for ice cream crept up on her. As it happened, they were out. She recalled her father eating the last of it the day before.

“I’m going out,” she called as she made for the front door.

“Have fun,” her mother said. Evidently, she forgot it was summer.

What would have been a short drive turned into a 30 minute trip by foot to the local ice cream parlor. The place was predictably packed, but it wasn’t as if she had anything better to do than wait in line. There were--again predictably--people she recognized from school. They paid her no noticeable attention.

When Victoria’s turn came, she ordered a cone with two vanilla scoops. It was hard to not take the sight of it in with awe. The ice cream had yet to be touched by the heat of the day. To an untrained eye, it might seem a tantalizing mirage. Her eyes were anything but untrained as she took in its beauty. She elected to devour it on the way home as opposed to eating it at the parlor.

The first scoop was packed away in her stomach when the little boy fell on the other side of the street. He took a nasty cut on his knee and stared dumbfounded at it. Victoria froze, unsure of what to do. Surely an upstanding citizen would see if he was okay.

The boy broke out crying. Victoria watched, and all she could think of was the time she had accidentally sliced her finger with a knife. There had been pain no doubt, but what she remembered most was curiosity. Prodding at the line of parted flesh, waiting to see what would happen next. She was disappointed when nothing did.

A woman came running from around the corner and swept the boy in her arms.

The second scoop, now thoroughly acquainted with the heat of hellfire, had begun to drip down the hand that clutched the cone. Victoria licked it up, unwilling to let a single drop escape.

She was halfway home if she wasn’t mistaken.

---

Greetings.

That sensation that one only gets when they place their fingers over the crisp paper of a mass market paperback.

An intake of fish minus the chips.

Water--lukewarm--running through her hair, down her chest, her back, butt, and thighs.

The grasshopper did not show its face that night. Suffice to say, Victoria wasn’t about to talk to herself.

---

It was a couple sharp knocks on the open door of Victoria’s bedroom that started it, but it was the sound waves booming out across the room that got her attention. She looked up from her fifth paperback of the summer to find her mother standing in the doorway. She conjured a cough into her hand.

“Victoria, a girl your age shouldn’t stay cooped up in her room all day.” She coughed again. “It’s unhealthy, um, what I mean to say is it’s a scientific fact that people need a certain amount of sunlight everyday to lead healthy lives.” Her mother started out strong as a steam engine and ended with all the grace of one that had run out of coal before reaching its destination.

Victoria blinked. Her index finger held the word she had left off at in the book.

“It would mean very much to your father and I if you hung out with friends and did . . . whatever it is you do.”

“Would it hurt your feelings if I said no?” Victoria asked.

“Er, no.”

“Then no.”

---

It doesn’t matter how well you know someone or even how long you’ve lived with them. No matter how in tune you are with their routines, they will surprise you. Victoria pondered that very thought as she walked along the sidewalk. It was a small consolation that the heat was not as fierce as it had been the previous week. It no longer tried to tear her head apart. It was merely suffocating.

She could find some hideaway guarded in shadows to whittle away an hour or two, but when she left home, she did so under the understanding that she would spend time with a friend. To not do so would be childish, and Victoria would rather stride across the burning asphalt barefoot than have someone call her such.

The house she strode up to was just as she remembered it. The lawn remained a bright, healthy green in defiance of the season. A fountain stood to the right of the door, water spewing forth from an abstract statue that was all slanted angles. Victoria rang the doorbell.

“Just a minute!” a voice shouted from inside, unmistakably feminine. The door opened moments later, revealing the familiar face of a classmate. “Can I help you?”

“Kimberly, you remember me from math, don’t you?”

Kimberly looked her over, uncertain. “Victoria?”

“Yes, let’s . . . hang out.”

“But I was about to take my little brother to see a movie.”

“That’s fine with me.”

Before Kimberly could reply, someone called out from behind her. “Who are you talking to, Sis?”

A boy of no older than the one who’d scraped his knee a week ago materialized at Kimberly’s shoulder. She smiled. “Victoria, this is Jacob. Jacob, Victoria. She--“

“Your sister invited me to join you today,” Victoria said. She fixed Kimberly with an icy glare that wiped the smile off her face.

“Yeah, that’s it,” Kimberly said hesitantly.

And so they set out. It could hardly be said the three of them inspired fear, courage, or anything for that matter. But they had heart, and surely that would see them through the day.

---

Victoria hated crowds, which was unfortunate considering the theater was, well, crowded. If only that was the least of the problems that plagued her. The movie they saw was titled The Uncelebrated Master and more importantly was based off a book. One particular book she hadn’t read yet sitting at home on a shelf in her room. Still sitting there no doubt, seething at her betrayal. She gripped the armrest of her seat until the knuckle turned white. It didn’t help much.

“Are you alright?” Kimberly asked from beside her.

Victoria’s first impulse was to strike. The bitch had planned this as a form of petty vengeance. No, that was silly. She was letting her emotions get the better of her. Victoria was many things, but she was not emotional. She breathed in and out. “There’s nothing wrong,” she said with more venom than she had intended.

Kimberly looked away and refocused on the big screen. It faded to black as the previews came to an end. The movie would start any second now. It was the moment of truth. She could do this.

---

When Victoria walked from the shelter of the theater’s air conditioning, she did so dejectedly. Jacob, who had run out ahead of them oozing boundless energy, came back to a halt at her sister’s side.

“That was amazing, especially the big fight at the end!”

“That death was unexpected though,” Kimberly said. “What did you think, Victoria?”

Victoria was trying her best to put one foot in front of the other, a task made all the harder by the assault of the hot afternoon. After basking in the cool atmosphere of the theater for so long, it hammered away at her lungs.

“Victoria?”

Something tapped her on the shoulder, and she lurched forward. She turned, ready to pounce, but it was only that girl from her math class and her brother. “It was one of the most horrible experiences I have ever had to sit through.” She wanted to say it, but the words stuck in her throat. Instead she said, “It was unexpected.”

“That’s putting it lightly. What do you say we do know? How about a stop at the café?”

“Okay,” Jacob said, still entranced by the magic of the movie.

No. “Sure,” Victoria said. She stopped where she stood as Kimberly and Jacob continued on. Why couldn’t she just say no? She had already done enough “hanging out.” For reasons she couldn’t fathom, she couldn’t bring herself to speak her mind. There was an undeniable desire to be polite.

She followed them to the café, as helpless as a fly stuck in a spider’s intricate web. Ten minutes later, they shared a table with iced tea.

“You don’t have very many friends, do you?” Kimberly asked.

“No, and I fail to see why it matters. Most of us will move away for college. It’s more than likely we’ll never see each other again. Why should I go through all the effort of building relationships that won’t last?” It was, Victoria realized, a question that had been on her mind as of late. No one had a satisfactory answer, only vague stabs like, “Doesn’t everyone have friends?”

“It shouldn’t take effort. If you have to try to be friends with someone, then you’re doing it wrong. Or maybe the person you’re trying to befriend just doesn’t have the same tastes as you.”

What if no one had her tastes? Did that make her a freak? It wouldn’t be the first time Victoria confronted that possibility. The conclusion she arrived at hadn’t changed either. If she was, then so be it. She’d take it in stride.

Kimberly giggled, small and almost soundless. “I think I know what's going through your mind right now. Don’t worry about it. There are several billion people on earth. You’ll find someone with similar tastes eventually.”

Jacob, who clearly had no idea what they were talking about, did his best to put on a thoughtful look as he slurped at the remnants of his tea.

They parted ways at Kimberly’s house. “I had fun. Maybe we could do this again some time,” she said.

Victoria was already back to the sidewalk when it occurred to her that she should wave goodbye. She turned to do so, but it was too late. Maybe they would see each other again before the summer ended. She doubted it.

---

Greetings.

The feeling of her bottom gradually warming up the spot at the edge of the bed she liked to sit at.

Fried chicken and a baked potato.

A cleansing conducted with ritual-like precision.

The grasshopper was back for the first time in two weeks. It sat at its usual spot on the ledge. It didn’t fix Victoria with its eyes--staring is rude after all--but she had its attention.

“Are you my only friend?” she asked it.

“Depends on your definition of friend.”

“A friend is someone outside your family whom you get along with. Having the same tastes isn’t necessary, but there must be something to form a foundation for common ground. I think we’d both rather if the world left us alone, but we know that’s impossible. So we do our best to fit in even though we could care less.”

“Speak for yourself. I make no effort at all to appeal to others.”

Victoria smiled. “You have me at a disadvantage again. Unlike you, I have meddling parents.”

“No one ever said life was fair.”

“You read my mind.”

Then it hit her, the reason she knew this was the same grasshopper time and again even when they all looked alike. There was, after all, only one grasshopper in the world smart and daring enough to rest on the same ledge on a regular basis above the tangled forest of grass that formed the world as it knew it.
Xenon FAKKU Writer
Very interesting, gave me a real feel of a revolutionary or civil war era, or somewhere in-between. The way the sentences are structured and some word usage really exemplifies that. It was an enjoyable experience while it lasted, as small as it was.
Xenon wrote...
Very interesting, gave me a real feel of a revolutionary or civil war era, or somewhere in-between.

Civil War if anything. I'm pretty sure revolvers didn't exist at the time of the Revolutionary War. Interestingly, I had a more fantastical setting in mind. I'm not sure why it came out the way it did when I wrote it.
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
It strikes me as a small part of a larger story. A fight scene to be precise.
it's a nice nostalgia to Age of Empires III for me lol :D
leonard267 wrote...

It's vague enough that it could fit in dozens if not hundreds of stories. I have given no specifics here at all beyond the fact that two (likely) significant forces are at war. The time period/state of the world can be extrapolated from the technology present, but there's nothing concrete enough to say for sure. If I wanted to be a touch dramatic, I'd say it could be from anything but is from nothing.

High wrote...
it's a nice nostalgia to Age of Empires III for me lol :D

Never played it.
I feel I was cut off just when something exciting was happening. FeelsTorturous/10.
i feel like someone's gotta make a parody of this by using the article for a reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_warfare

a bit of lulz-outcome from its drawback.
Shikinokami wrote...
I feel I was cut off just when something exciting was happening. FeelsTorturous/10.

Depends. If the purpose of this was whether or not the narrator survives the battle, then yes. I cut it short.

High wrote...
i feel like someone's gotta make a parody of this by using the article for a reference

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trench_warfare

a bit of lulz-outcome from its drawback.

I don't see what trench warfare has to do with is.
because it also reminds me of world war I somewhat.

the trench warfare is kinda lulzy because, from what I've read in my history book:

they dig grounds, add barricades with wire fencing. within the war, about 120k people died and the only progress was about 5 km forward. etc. etc. details 'bout it being defensive.

it's deemed ineffective after the discovery of tanks which were able to cross the 2m wide trench. flamethrowers could smoke the entirety of these guys down, and the soldiers got caught up with dysentery due to drinking polluted water due to terrible logistics.

many soldiers crippled due to mortar fragments. lots blinded of chlorine gases, the same one as what Adolf Hitler has suffered through.
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
leonard267 wrote...

It's vague enough that it could fit in dozens if not hundreds of stories. I have given no specifics here at all beyond the fact that two (likely) significant forces are at war. The time period/state of the world can be extrapolated from the technology present, but there's nothing concrete enough to say for sure. If I wanted to be a touch dramatic, I'd say it could be from anything but is from nothing.

Alas fight scenes with no background information aren't to my tastes. I need to know the significance of they are fighting for and this might include what the stakes are, the circumstances that led to the assailants joining the battle and so on. I am afraid that I am a content-Nazi where my tastes in reading are concerned. Descriptions of the fight scenes are really secondary for this reader.
Added my second entry to the contest. Check it out when you've got the time!
Xenon FAKKU Writer
In reference to "I Not Crazy Am You Are:"

The title’s a bit odd, but unique and interesting. I enjoy small slice-of-life tales like these, they are much more personable. I suppose we can all relate to Victoria to a degree, trying to fit in when we feel different is no easy task. So, I enjoyed the read. It was a relaxing breath of fresh yet humid summer air. Lotta typos. Got your back on that, though:

Spoiler:
Summer. The end of school once more, the herald of sneakers treading the path home, never to take it up again for the following three months.

Summer. A boring, monotonous--and not to mention hot--stretch of days that dragged on mercilessly.

Maybe Victoria would have been relieved having no more essays hanging over her head if she hadn’t minded doing them in the first place. If only she had friends, she told herself, time would not be so sluggish. Somehow she doubted it even as the thought crossed her mind.

Life had always been like that. Unfair, if one were to sum it up in a single word.

Work flew by in a well-organized but nevertheless tumultuous whirlwind. When the dust settled, she was left with nothing to do and only the scorn of others to bask in. As if it were her fault they moved so slow (Word wants to correct this to †˜slowly.’ This might be more appropriate.).

Victoria was sweating freely by the time she made it home. Heat waves buzzed around fresh, black asphalt like flies around a carcass. She grabbed her key chain by its charm, a bow-wearing skull.

Her parents met her with habitual greetings she returned in kind. She set her backpack at the foot of her bed and pulled out the paperback she had been reading when the final bell rang. A couple hours later, she bent a page to mark her place so she could answer the call of dinner.

“Another year down, eh?” her mother said.

Victoria scarcely stopped eating. “Yep.”

“How do you think you did on your finals?”

“Well enough.” She aced them all, and she knew it, but there was no point in saying it. Her parents knew as well. The real question was why they bothered asking. Their praise was a foregone conclusion. And if there was one thing that annoyed her more than undeserved hatred, it was undeserved adoration. They may as well tell her †˜good job’ for remembering to breath(Breathe.). It was that simple.

“Victoria,” came her father’s stern voice. An easy smile crossed his face. “Go easy there. You don’t wanna choke do you?”

She swallowed and felt the chewed up spoonful of meat loaf glide down her gullet. Too much salt. She reached for her glass and took a gulp of water. “I’m fine.”

“She is a growing girl,” her mother chimed in. That got a chuckle from her father. If there was a joke in there, Victoria missed it.

---

When the time came for a shower, Victoria was glad to seize the opportunity to peel her clothes off. She sighed audibly as see(She.) undid her bra and let it drop to the floor. The wretched thing had a tendency to chaff(Chafe. Chaff means discarded excess unwanted material, like a peel. The bra could be a chaff to her, but it chafed her skin.) terribly. Why women had to subjugate themselves to them(Unnecessary. Who is †˜them?’ Society in general or men? Better left out if just a typo.) was another mystery that wasn’t likely to have an answer. One day it was fine to go without one. The next, her breasts had gotten bigger and all of the sudden her mother was nearly yelling at her when she tried to slip outside bra free(I would hyphenate, personally.).

She pattered out of the bathroom on bare feet when she was done, clad in her pajamas. Her parents had long since stopped forcing her to bed at whatever arbitrary time they deemed suitable, but she didn’t see much reason to stick around, so back to her room she went.

Night had arrived, but it would be some time yet before full-on inky blackness descended. Even then, it would never be truly dark. There were no street lamps by her house, but there were plenty further into town, and their glow would carry into midnight and beyond.

She opened her window and let the slightest of breezes roll in, too light to ruffle her damp hair.

The paperback remained where she had set it last, at the edge of the bed, but she didn’t have the slightest inclination of continuing it at the moment. So instead she sat, back to the wall, with only her thoughts for company.

Several minutes later, a grasshopper landed on the ledge of the window just on the other side of the screen. This wasn’t the first time it showed itself, though Victoria couldn’t say how she knew it was the same one. The pattern on its thorax looked just the same as any other grasshopper’s(I believe the apostrophe is unnecessary for this possessive.), but it had a familiarity about it that was hard to place.

She wouldn’t have cared about it if it weren’t staring at her. She returned its gaze, but it was a fearless bastard.

“You’ve got me at a disadvantage,” Victoria said. “You know where I live and can bother me any time you wish. On the other hand, I don’t have a single shred of information about you.”

It blinked, or whatever the grasshopper equivalent was of saying, “So?”

“You’re absolutely right. A pointless observation. Life isn’t fair in the least, but the sword cuts friend and foe alike. For instance, you don’t even have school to occupy your time.”

“Neither do you at the moment,” she imagined it saying.

“Touché.”

“Why not do whatever it is you honors students do in your spare time?”

“The thing is, an honors student isn’t an honors student if there isn’t anything to gain honors in. Likewise, you could hardly be called a grasshopper if you didn’t have grass to hop around in.”

“I’d make due(Do.) with windows.”

“Then you’d be a windowhopper, wouldn’t you?” It sounded so absurd. She would have laughed if she wasn’t talking to a grasshopper. It didn’t laugh either, which was better and far less awkward than laughing at something that wasn’t funny.

---

Summer. If only Victoria’s town had more to offer than a public pool and a movie theatre(I thought you use American English, so †˜theater’ would be more appropriate, but as long as you stay consistent, it doesn't matter too much.), she wouldn’t be so bored. Somehow she doubted it.

She lazed around her room, determined to finish the new paperback when the urge for ice cream crept up on her. As it happened, they were out. She recalled her father eating the last of it the day before.

“I’m going out,” she called as she made for the front door.

“Have fun,” her mother said. Evidently, she forgot it was summer.

What would have been a short drive turned into a 30 minute trip by foot to the local ice cream parlor. The place was predictably packed, but it wasn’t as if she had anything better to do than wait in line. There were--again predictably--people she recognized from school. They paid her no noticeable attention.

When Victoria’s turn came, she ordered a cone with two vanilla scoops. It was hard to not to(†˜to not’ or †˜not to?’) take the sight of it in with awe. The ice cream had yet to be touched by the heat of the day. To an untrained eye, it might seem a tantalizing mirage. Her eyes were anything but untrained as she took in its beauty. She elected to devour it on the way home as opposed to eating it at the parlor.

The first scoop was packed away in her stomach when the little boy fell on the other side of the street. He took a nasty cut on his knee and stared dumbfounded at it. Victoria froze, unsure of what to do. Surely an upstanding citizen would see if he was okay.

The boy broke out crying. Victoria watched, and all she could think of was the time she had accidentally sliced her finger with a knife. There had been pain no doubt, but what she remembered most was curiosity. Prodding at the line of parted flesh, waiting to see what would happen next. She was disappointed when nothing did.

A woman came running from around the corner and swept the boy in her arms.

The second scoop, now thoroughly acquainted with the heat of hellfire, had begun to drip down the hand that clutched the cone. Victoria licked it up, unwilling to let a single drop escape.

She was halfway home if she wasn’t mistaken.

---

Greetings.

That sensation that one only gets when they place their fingers over the crisp paper of a mass market paperback.

An intake of fish minus the chips.

Water--lukewarm--running through her hair, down her chest, her back, butt, and thighs.

The grasshopper did not show its face that night. Suffice to say, Victoria wasn’t about to talk to herself.

(Did a double-take. This was a unique and interesting way to summarize the evening.)

---

It was a couple sharp knocks on the open door of Victoria’s bedroom that started it, but it was the sound waves booming out across the room that got her attention. She looked up from her fifth paperback of the summer to find her mother standing in the doorway. She conjured a cough into her hand.

“Victoria, a girl your age shouldn’t stay cooped up in her room all day.” She coughed again. “It’s unhealthy, um, what I mean to say is it’s a scientific fact that people need a certain amount of sunlight everyday to lead healthy lives.” Her mother started out strong as a steam engine and ended with all the grace of one that had run out of coal before reaching its destination.

Victoria blinked. Her index finger held the word she had left off at in the book.

“It would mean very much to your father and I if you hung out with friends and did . . . whatever it is you do.”

“Would it hurt your feelings if I said no?” Victoria asked.

“Er, no.”

“Then no.”

---

It doesn’t matter how well you know someone or even how long you’ve lived with them. No matter how in tune you are with their routines, they will surprise you (Heh, classic rapid scene change through conflict, cartoon worthy, really.). Victoria pondered that very thought as she walked along the sidewalk. It was a small consolation that the heat was not as fierce as it had been the previous week. It no longer tried to tear her head apart. It was merely suffocating.

She could find some hideaway guarded in shadows to whittle away an hour or two, but when she left home, she did so under the understanding that she would spend time with a friend. To not do so would be childish, and Victoria would rather stride across the burning asphalt barefoot than have someone call her such.

The house she strode up to was just as she remembered it. The lawn remained a bright, healthy green in defiance of the season. A fountain stood to the right of the door, water spewing forth from an abstract statue that was all slanted angles. Victoria rang the doorbell.

“Just a minute!” a voice shouted from inside, unmistakably feminine. The door opened moments later, revealing the familiar face of a classmate. “Can I help you?”

“Kimberly, you remember me from math, don’t you?”

Kimberly looked her over, uncertain. “Victoria?”

“Yes, let’s . . .(Odd choice of spacing for an ellipsis.) hang out.”

“But I was about to take my little brother to see a movie.”

“That’s fine with me.”

Before Kimberly could reply, someone called out from behind her. “Who are you talking to, Sis?”

A boy of no older than the one who’d scraped his knee a week ago materialized at Kimberly’s shoulder. She smiled. “Victoria, this is Jacob. Jacob, Victoria. She--“

“Your sister invited me to join you today,” Victoria said. She fixed Kimberly with an icy glare that wiped the smile off her face(Wut.).

“Yeah, that’s it,” Kimberly said hesitantly.

And so they set out. It could hardly be said the three of them inspired fear, courage, or anything for that matter. But they had heart, and surely that would see them through the day.

---

Victoria hated crowds, which was unfortunate considering the theatre was, well, crowded. If only that was the least of the problems that plagued her(Word is crying fragment.). The movie they saw was titled The Uncelebrated Master and more importantly was based off a book. One particular book she hadn’t read yet sitting at home on a shelf in her room. Still sitting there no doubt, seething at her betrayal. She gripped the armrest of her seat until the knuckle turned white. It didn’t help much.

“Are you alright?” Kimberly asked from beside her.

Victoria’s first impulse was to strike. The bitch had planned this as a form of petty vengeance. No, that was silly. She was letting her emotions get the better of her. Victoria was many things, but she was not emotional. She breathed in and out. “There’s nothing wrong,” she said with more venom than she had intended.

Kimberly looked away and refocused on the big screen. It faded to black as the previews came to an end. The movie would start any second now. It was the moment of truth. She could do this.

---

When Victoria walked from the shelter of the theatre’s air conditioning, she did so dejectedly. Jacob, who had run out ahead of them oozing boundless energy, came back to a halt at her sister’s side.

“That was amazing, especially the big fight at the end!”

“That death was unexpected though,” Kimberly said. “What did you think, Victoria?”

Victoria was trying her best to put one foot in front of the other, a task made all the harder but(By?) the press(Press?) of the hot afternoon. After basking in the cool atmosphere of the theatre for so long, it hammered away at her lungs.

“Victoria?”

Something tapped her on the shoulder, and she lurched forward. She turned, ready to pounce, but it was only that girl from her match(Math.) class and her brother. “It was one of the most horrible experiences I have ever had to sit through.” She wanted to say it, but the words stuck in her throat. Instead she said, “It was unexpected.”

“That’s putting it lightly. What do you say we do know(Now.)? How about a stop at the café?”

“Okay,” Jacob said, still entranced by the magic of the movie.

No. “Sure,” Victoria said. She looked for the all the world a girl who had been ripped out of all that she knew and thrown into a war zone(This sentence…I’m not sure I understand what you’re conveying by using it. Try re-wording it.). Why couldn’t she just say no? She had already done enough “hanging out.” For reasons she couldn’t fathom, she couldn’t bring herself to speak her mind. There was an undeniable desire to be polite.

She followed them to the café, as helpless as a fly stuck in a spider’s intricate web. Ten minutes later, they shared a table with ice(Iced.) tea.

“You don’t have very many friends, do you?” Kimberly asked.

“No, and I fail to see why it matters. Most of us will move away for college. It’s more than likely we’ll never see each other again. Why should I go through all the effort of building relationships that won’t last?” It was, Victoria realized, a question that had been on her mind as of late. No one had a satisfactory answer, only vague stabs like, “Doesn’t everyone have friends?”

“It shouldn’t take effort. If you have to try to be friends with someone, then you’re doing it wrong. Or maybe the person you’re trying to befriend just doesn’t have the same tastes as you.”

What if no one had her tastes? Did that make her a freak? It wouldn’t be the first time Victoria confronted that possibility. The conclusion she arrived at hadn’t changed either. If she was, then so be it. She’d take it in stride.

Kimberly giggled, small and almost soundless. “I think I know what(What’s.) going through your mind right now. Don’t worry about it. There are several billion people on earth. You’ll find someone with similar tastes eventually.”

Jacob, who clearly had no idea what they were talking about, did his best to put on a thoughtful look as he slurped at the remnants of his tea.

They parted ways at Kimberly’s house. “I had fun. Maybe we could do this again some time,” she said.

Victoria was already back to the sidewalk when it occurred to her that she should wave goodbye. She turned to do so, but it was too late. Maybe they would see each other again before the summer ended. She doubted it.

---

Greetings.

The feeling of her bottom gradually warming up the spot at the edge of the bed she liked to sit at.

Fried chicken and a baked potato.

A cleansing conducted with ritual-like precision.

The grasshopper was back for the first time in two weeks. It sat at its usual spot on the ledge. It didn’t fix Victoria with its eyes--staring is rude after all--but she had its attention.

“Are you my only friend?” she asked it.

“Depends on your definition of friend.”

“A friend is someone outside your family whom you get along with. Having the same tastes isn’t necessary, but there must be something to form a foundation for common ground. I think we’d both rather if the world left us along(Alone.), but we know that’s impossible. So we do our best to fit in even though we could care less.”

“Speak for yourself. I make no effort at all to appeal to others.”

Victoria smiled. “You have me at a disadvantage again. Unlike you, I have meddling parents.”

“No one ever said life was fair.”

“You read my mind.”

Then it hit her, the reason she knew this was the same grasshopper time and again even when they all looked alike. There was, after all, only one grasshopper in the world smart and daring enough to rest on the same ledge on a regular basis above the tangled forest of grass that formed the world as he knew it.(If this is some philosophical exposition, then I wish I could grasp it, but it seems to be taken for granted from my understanding. What's the message?)
Xenon wrote...
In reference to "I Not Crazy Am You Are:"

The title’s a bit odd, but unique and interesting. I enjoy small slice-of-life tales like these, they are much more personable. I suppose we can all relate to Victoria to a degree, trying to fit in when we feel different is no easy task. So, I enjoyed the read. It was a relaxing breath of fresh yet humid summer air. Lotta typos. Got your back on that, though:

Thanks. I couldn't think of a title, so I was just like, "Screw it. I'm going to steal one from the name of a song." It kind of fits.

I haven't read your entry yet. I'll get around to that soon enough though.

As if it were her fault they moved so slow (Word wants to correct this to †˜slowly.’ This might be more appropriate.).

I like slow better even though I'm pretty sure "slowly" is the right choice grammatically.

f only Victoria’s town had more to offer than a public pool and a movie theatre(I thought you use American English, so †˜theater’ would be more appropriate, but as long as you stay consistent, it doesn't matter too much.),

I had no idea there were two ways to spell it. That's the way I've always done it.

Yes, let’s . . .(Odd choice of spacing for an ellipsis.) hang out.”

That's the way I've always done it, and that's the way I've always seen it.

(If this is some philosophical exposition, then I wish I could grasp it, but it seems to be taken for granted from my understanding. What's the message?)

Good question. The original ending I had in mind didn't include this bit: "above the tangled forest of grass that formed the world as he knew it." It just felt appropriate to add when I got down to writing it. I have an idea of what it means, but it's open to interpretation, and I'd like to hear what you think it could mean.
Xenon FAKKU Writer
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
(I thought you use American English, so †˜theater’ would be more appropriate, but as long as you stay consistent, it doesn't matter too much.)

I had no idea there were two ways to spell it. That's the way I've always done it.

Here's an article about the notable differences: Theater vs. theatre

I don't believe there are too many similarities between other words. I know the word "center" can also be used as "centre" but usually only in reference to a building which names itself as such.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Yes, let’s . . .(Odd choice of spacing for an ellipsis.) hang out.”

That's the way I've always done it, and that's the way I've always seen it.

Well, I suppose we're teaching each other something useful today, because it was the exact opposite for me from the last issue with you. I had never seen it used like above and always assumed it was to be contracted without spaces before, after, or in-between. I rarely use it outside of speech and informal writing and I am usually consistent in using it in that fashion. You'll see how I did it in my entry in the rare quotations, but after a bit of reading up from Grammar Girl, it appears the way you do it is the accepted way. I will have to modify my use of it in the future. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
(If this is some philosophical exposition, then I wish I could grasp it, but it seems to be taken for granted from my understanding. What's the message?)

Good question. The original ending I had in mind didn't include this bit: "above the tangled forest of grass that formed the world as he knew it." It just felt appropriate to add when I got down to writing it. I have an idea of what it means, but it's open to interpretation, and I'd like to hear what you think it could mean.

What do I think it could mean? From what I comment on, I don't think it adds or means anything at all. That is why I was confused with it in the first place and why I take those statements for face-value. With or without your addition, it doesn't add anything specifically revealing. I'll show step-by-step what I'm thinking as I read:

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Then it hit her,

Oh, a revelation is coming our way.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
the reason she knew this was the same grasshopper time and again even when they all looked alike

So there is a reason she knows beyond its physical attributes? Well let's hear it.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
There was, after all, only one grasshopper in the world smart and daring enough to rest on the same ledge on a regular basis

So for some reason she is convinced that this one is special because she believes it to be smart and daring without any information pertaining to that proof beyond her conversations that she imagines coming from it, as she claims when she had her first conversation: "'Neither do you at the moment,' she imagined it saying." So it could imply that it was really saying it, but it's more likely that she's imagining the entire conversation, which is what I figured considering the title of the piece is trying to imply that she is crazy. Although, you claim that the title is random, so that may be my assumption since my titles usually pertain to something key within the story, or relating to its meaning.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
above the tangled forest of grass that formed the world as he knew it.

So it was smart and daring because it was willing to travel above its worm's eye view of the world and explore what else there is to see beyond what it was initially surrounded by, and thus always managed to end up on her windowsill. I can respect such a message if it is that one must attempt to leave one's perspective if they want to attain a grander view of the world, but it is still confusing how she comes to the revelation that it would be the only grasshopper that would be willing to do such a thing. Perhaps I just don't know much about grasshoppers and they normally don't travel up to second story windows, if that is indeed how high her sill is. It's how I imagined it at least. Regardless, I'll be satisfied if that was the intended message, but if it wasn't, then oh well.
Xenon wrote...
Well, I suppose we're teaching each other something useful today, because it was the exact opposite for me from the last issue with you. I had never seen it used like above and always assumed it was to be contracted without spaces before, after, or in-between. I rarely use it outside of speech and informal writing and I am usually consistent in using it in that fashion. You'll see how I did it in my entry in the rare quotations, but after a bit of reading up from Grammar Girl, it appears the way you do it is the accepted way. I will have to modify my use of it in the future. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I've heard both ways are accepted. I say stick with what you're comfortable with.

From what I comment on, I don't think it adds or means anything at all.

Pretty much.

So it could imply that it was really saying it, but it's more likely that she's imagining the entire conversation, which is what I figured considering the title of the piece is trying to imply that she is crazy.

Or maybe she only thinks she's imagining it, and you're crazy for thinking she's crazy.

. . . but it is still confusing how she comes to the revelation that it would be the only grasshopper that would be willing to do such a thing.

I wasn't sure how to lead up to it, so I ended up doing it abruptly.

Perhaps I just don't know much about grasshoppers and they normally don't travel up to second story windows

I don't know much about them either.
Xenon FAKKU Writer
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Pretty much.

Or maybe she only thinks she's imagining it, and you're crazy for thinking she's crazy.

I wasn't sure how to lead up to it, so I ended up doing it abruptly.

I don't know much about them either.

Why do your completely ambivalent stances on your own story bring me to grin like an idiot? You're simply too much, my friend.

Again, splendid job overall on this.

...Tempest is next.
Xenon wrote...
Why do your completely ambivalent stances on your own story bring me to grin like an idiot? You're simply too much, my friend.

Again, splendid job overall on this.

Maybe I'd have a stronger stance If my purpose in creating said story was to take one.

...Tempest is next.

Have fun!
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Shikinokami wrote...

Depends. If the purpose of this was whether or not the narrator survives the battle, then yes. I cut it short.

The idea wouldn't have hit me in a thousand years.

If you wrote a longer story on it, I'd more than happily read it. It felt like an easy-to-follow Red Badge of Courage.
Shikinokami wrote...
The idea wouldn't have hit me in a thousand years.

If you wrote a longer story on it, I'd more than happily read it. It felt like an easy-to-follow Red Badge of Courage.

Never read Red Badge of Courage.