[Summer Contest Entry 2016] A Collection of Resumés

Pages Prev12
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Feedback time.

First, when picking a winner, we wanted an entry that made good use of the themes and for that reason, I just couldn't recommend your entry over the others. There are bits of the themes mixed in here, but none of them feel like they play a major role except for mystery which is undercut by the ridiculousness. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for the story, but it is in terms of the contest.

It is a really a matter of taste isn't it at the end of the day? Wonder if you agree that all of the themes are adhered to.

I would argue that the supernatural is quite prominent in this entry unless you don't consider humanoids with slimy skins and tendrils for hair as supernatural beings. I think the way the monsters reproduce is very unpleasant and unsettling. It can be considered horror. The supernatural and horror themes play a major role in this story surely! Without those, how can I come up with the twist that those women are really monsters that seduce men?

Glad you thought it is mystery even though I think this entry does the job of coming up with a mystery plot poorly compared to the other two themes. There is intentionally no resolution because I insist on doing a bizarre twist and more importantly because it is difficult to wrap up.

I can only conclude that the reason why you didn't rate this piece highly is only because it is an attempt at comedy. That said, I insist in incorporating humour whatever the themes are. There are too few comedic pieces. Most of the comedy in the forum are unintentionally or otherwise in the Incoherent Babbling section.

Out of curiosity, why wasn't there an honourable mention? Was it because the number of entries were too few?

The main problem I have with this entry is unfortunately, I just didn't find it that funny.

Care to go into detail?

You set it up as a series of outrageous resumes, but they weren't that crazy to me.

You find a story about someone reading a second hand account of men complaining about loose and vindictive women behaving badly after a trip to a club, who proceeds to read another account accusing the women to be monstrous demons, only to find out that the truth is a bit of both not crazy or outrageous enough?! I shudder to think what you consider crazy! Perhaps it is something high_time would write.

As for you not finding it funny, well, it is alright. It is all about taste. My attempts at humouring you are about as successful as your attempts at humouring me.
Xenon wrote...
leonard267 wrote...
I am sure you have come across an essay question that doesn't end with a question mark. This is no different.

Yes, it is no different in that there are essays that make requests of the participants, but a question, or a query, requires a question mark because it is posing something for the participant to answer. "Where do you live? What city were you born in? How old are you?" A request for information is usually asking for elaboration, it can be worded as a question, but if it is not worded as a question, but worded as a request or an order, then it is not a question, it is a request, or an order. "Explain to me where you live. Describe to me what city you were born in. Tell me how old you are." If you want to phrase the sentence as a question, I would suggest instead of saying "Describe a moment when you went beyond the call of duty to help someone," say "Could/Would/May you describe a moment when you went beyond the call of duty to help someone?" Though avoid using "Could/Can" since those usually end up with snarky responses like "Yes."

You don't say interview request or interview order do you? If an interviewer asks, "Tell me why you left your previous job.", I am sure we will still consider it an interview question, not an interview request.
Xenon FAKKU Writer
leonard267 wrote...
You don't say interview request or interview order do you? If an interviewer asks, "Tell me why you left your previous job.", I am sure we will still consider it an interview question, not an interview request.

I would call it a request or instruction made during an interview, regardless of your belief that people would normally call it an interview "question."
Xenon wrote...
leonard267 wrote...

I would call it a request or instruction made during an interview, regardless of your belief that people would normally call it an interview "question."

Let me do a bit of Socratic questioning here. So you are saying, "Why did you leave your previous job?", to be an interview question but "Tell me why you left your previous job.", not to be an interview question?
Xenon FAKKU Writer
leonard267 wrote...
Let me do a bit of Socratic questioning here. So you are saying, "Why did you leave your previous job?", to be an interview question but "Tell me why you left your previous job.", not to be an interview question?

I consider the first to be a question made during an interview and the second to be an instruction made during an interview, if both are requested by an interviewer during an interview. One is a question and requires the inclusion of a question mark at the end while the other is a command and requires no question mark.
Xenon wrote...
leonard267 wrote...

I consider the first to be a question made during an interview and the second to be an instruction made during an interview, if both are requested by an interviewer during an interview. One is a question and requires the inclusion of a question mark at the end while the other is a command and requires no question mark.

It seems that we are in a deadlock Xenon. Only one way to resolve this. Subject this to a democratic vote!

https://www.fakku.net/forums/incoherent-babbling/tell-me-why-you-left-your-previous-job-question-or-not#4634405
Like you said, it's probably a matter of tastes that I didn't get too much mileage out of this in terms of laughs.

I would argue that the supernatural is quite prominent in this entry unless you don't consider humanoids with slimy skins and tendrils for hair as supernatural beings. I think the way the monsters reproduce is very unpleasant and unsettling. It can be considered horror. The supernatural and horror themes play a major role in this story surely! Without those, how can I come up with the twist that those women are really monsters that seduce men?

Glad you thought it is mystery even though I think this entry does the job of coming up with a mystery plot poorly compared to the other two themes. There is intentionally no resolution because I insist on doing a bizarre twist and more importantly because it is difficult to wrap up.

I can only conclude that the reason why you didn't rate this piece highly is only because it is an attempt at comedy. That said, I insist in incorporating humour whatever the themes are. There are too few comedic pieces. Most of the comedy in the forum are unintentionally or otherwise in the Incoherent Babbling section.

There are definitely elements of supernatural and horror in there. I just don't think they play that integral of a role to the entry. As for me not rating it highly because of it being an attempt at comedy, I will say that I've seen Zombieland and am 3 episodes into Ash vs Evil Dead, both of which are comedy horrors, and I think they're freaking awesome. This entry just didn't strike me as all that funny like I've already said.

Care to go into detail?

Can't really say too much here. Jokes either make me laugh or they don't. I know what makes me laugh, but I don't think I could tell you why.

You find a story about someone reading a second hand account of men complaining about loose and vindictive women behaving badly after a trip to a club, who proceeds to read another account accusing the women to be monstrous demons, only to find out that the truth is a bit of both not crazy or outrageous enough?! I shudder to think what you consider crazy!

I think the problem I have is I can tell from the first few paragraphs and knowing your writing style that you're going to throw some crazy interviews at me so I built up this expectation in my head, and what I got wasn't that.

Perhaps it is something high_time would write.

You're giving me flashbacks and not the good kind.

My attempts at humouring you are about as successful as your attempts at humouring me.

Maybe someday we'll come up with something the other really likes. Maybe.

Out of curiosity, why wasn't there an honourable mention? Was it because the number of entries were too few?

I think that's already been answered in the winners topic? Can't remember. Basically, yeah, too few entries.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...

There are definitely elements of supernatural and horror in there. I just don't think they play that integral of a role to the entry. As for me not rating it highly because of it being an attempt at comedy, I will say that I've seen Zombieland and am 3 episodes into Ash vs Evil Dead, both of which are comedy horrors, and I think they're freaking awesome. This entry just didn't strike me as all that funny like I've already said.

No, no. You said something around the lines that this entry didn't adhere to the themes that well. It is of course a comedy but where horror and the supernatural play a very important role in the story. So I am of the belief that it fits the themes. As for whether comedy is enjoyable, well that is another matter.

PS: Read the parody of the other entry yet?
No, no. You said something around the lines that this entry didn't adhere to the themes that well.

Yes. Isn't that what I basically said again in what you just quoted?

PS: Read the parody of the other entry yet?

Not yet, sorry. I'll get to it in the very near future.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
No, no. You said something around the lines that this entry didn't adhere to the themes that well.

Yes. Isn't that what I basically said again in what you just quoted?

That was what I disagreed with. I didn't mean that you hate comedy.
Pages Prev12