[Winter Contest Entry 2013] Potato Chips and Machine Guns

Pages 12Next
Ever wonder what goes on in a top secret lab at the edge of the Earth forever stuck in winter's grip? Here's your chance to find out in under 2000 words!

Draft 1: 1838 words
Spoiler:
They were pristine halls that the team walked down and through, day and night, but they didn’t stay that way by themselves. It was nothing but the dull roar of the cleaner that accompanied the janitor as he decked them, that and headphones blasting, a tap of the foot here to a beat no one else could hear and a hum-along there. Outside the snow fell in force, snow so white it was like a fairytale.

---

The little red light blinked, letting Ted know the camera was on. Ted blinked in return. “This is video log six hundred and fifty-one. The mark thirty-two prototype failed. It, uh, blew up as a matter of fact. Our test pilot didn’t survive. Mark. Marvin? God, I swear it’s on the tip of my tongue. Anyway, a request has been filed for a new pilot. He or she shall arrive here shortly. Work on the mark thirty-three prototype has begun immediately. This is Doctor Ted signing off--oh! His name was Malik.”

“Bryan.”

Ted shuffled his feet until his chair swiveled a full one hundred and eighty degrees. Alan stood over him, bag of potato chips in one hand; he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. The bright white light of the overhead lights reflected off the lenses.

“Malik was the pilot we had before Bryan,” Alan said.

---

B. Janis: did you hear those noises they were making the other night?

G. Lynch: how could I not? they were so loud

B. Janis: you’d think alicia and john would be more modest. especially john . . . wtf john

G. Lynch: srsly I know! he lost some major points in my eyes

A. Jacobs: you guys are just now talking about this? it’s soooooooo cOLD in here

J. Parker: why you guys find extreme chess so interesting to begin with i’ll never know . . .

---

“Achoo!” Greg cursed. He blew a slimy wad of greenish-brown snot into the tissue. “I swear, we have all of this at our fingertips.” He spread his hands, a gesture meant to encompass not just his work station but the whole facility. “And we waste it on trying to build stupid mechs when it could be better used trying to, oh, I don’ know, find a cure for the common cold.”

Blake stared at him like he was a raving mad man. Greg sneezed again. “Just saying,” he said, sniffing. He reached for another tissue from the box at the end of his desk and came up short. He stretched and stretched, but all he got was a fingertip to touch. He sneezed so loud his body lurched, sending the tissue box over the edge and out of sight. Greg cursed.

“Dude, you sound like a dog barking,” Blake said.

“I do n-no--achoo!”

Somewhere in the base, Alicia’s dog started barking.

“See,” Blake said. “The poor little guy thinks you’re challenging him.”

“Achoo!”

“I think that right there was dog-speak for †˜I’m gonna murder you.’ That’s not very nice, Greg. You just don’t come up on another dog’s territory and run your mouth off like that. You listening to me, dawg? I’m trying to stop you from starting a turf war here.”

Greg rubbed at his sore, red nose, too out of it to even get up and grab the tissue box. “I just want to die.”

---

Crunch. Alan savored every bit of saltiness as he swallowed the last chip. The empty bag fell in a trash can containing, among other things, more potato chip bags.

Now I’m thirsty, he thought. But the vending machine was all the way down the hall. He resolved himself to leaning on the railing that overlooked the hanger instead. He shivered. They had the heart running twenty-four/seven, but it did little to dispel the cold in the cavernous chamber. Should have brought my coat.

“What’s the hold up?” Ted said over the loudspeaker. He was just a tiny little man in the control box hunched over some terminals.

“You’re the one who told me to triple check the engine,” Alicia radioed in from below. Alan could hear what sounded like the turning of a wrench in the background. “Or do you want this one to blow up as well?”

“Excuse me.”

Ted sighed. “No. I suppose I don’t.”

“Um, excuse me?” It was the new pilot. Scott Davis was his name. Someone had to get it right. Might as well be Alan. “I thought you said the old pilot resigned.”

“He did,” Ted said. “That’s what happens when you die on the job. It’s all the same.”

“It most certainly is not. Let me out of here.”

Alicia climbed down from the backside of the mech; she jumped down the last few feet, tucked her legs and landed in a roll. She took off sprinting for the stairwell leading up to the observation level. “Alicia here,” she said, puffing hard. “We’re all good down here.

“No we’re not,” Scott cut in again. “I’m climbing out now. Hmm. The cockpit won’t open. I think it’s jammed or something.”

“Initiating remote activation,” Ted said. “In five, four, three . . .”

“No, you let me out right now!”

“Two, one.”

“Noooooooooo!” Scott’s screams echoed across the hangar. The loudspeaker screeched.

Nothing. The mech fell over in a colossal, ear-splitting crash of metal clashing against concrete.

The voice of the rig’s interface chimed in when the din had died down. “Warning. System failure.”

---

The red light blinked. Ted cleared his throat. “This is video log seven hundred and two. The mark thirty-three test run was a failure today. Something went wrong with the hydraulics this time, and the whole thing fell over. Then it exploded. Needless to say, a request for a new pilot has been filed to replace Sam.”

Ted paused and rubbed his eyes. “I don’t know what to say. I like to think God put us all on Earth for a purpose. I had thought that building giant robots with machine guns and rocket launchers was my purpose, but now? Now, I’m not so sure.” The clacking of keys resumed off to his right. “All I know is . . .” The clacking stopped; it began again seconds later accompanied by a snigger. “All I know is I DON’T TEXT CHAT WITH THE GUY LITERALLY SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO ME WHILE OTHERS ARE WORKING.”

---

Crunch. Munch munch munch. Crunch. Munch munch munch.

Greg slammed the pen down on the cafeteria table. “Do you mind?”

Crunch. “What’s the problem?” Alan’s eyes didn’t meet Greg’s. They were focused listlessly on the crossword puzzle mag in Greg’s hand. “I’m just eating chips.”

“While leaning over my shoulder, right next to my ear.” This wasn’t the first time Alan bothered him during lunch. Greg doubted it would be the last.

Munch munch munch. “Babykiller.”

“I beg your pardon.”

“Fourteen down.”

Greg followed his finger. Sure enough, he was right. It was a perfect fit; not only was it the right amount of letters, the “k” lined up with the “k” in “cornykorn” in twelve across. He picked up the pen and scribbled it in.

Crunch.

“That doesn’t mean you can continue eating in my ear.”

---

It started as one and then two, but now it was a gathering. They watched through the glass door that led to the roof as Ted walked back and forth along the edge, bottle of wine in hand. What started as a search for the chief scientist turned into a source of mild amusement. John was among the last up top.

“Has anyone tried to go out there and talk to him,” John asked. Ted’s sharp turnabouts brought him precariously off balance each and every time. Every now and then he’d stop and look out toward the fleeting sun on the darkening horizon. It wasn’t long before the snowcapped mountains would have it swallowed whole. It was during these pauses that some of the spectators held their breath in anticipation that the project leader had had his fill of the rigid winds whipping his fur lined coat.

“You go out there, dude,” Blake said. “You know now scary he is when he gets mad.”

“Is he mad right now,” John asked, taking another study of Ted. It was impossible to tell with his back turned to them.

“Be my guest and find out.”

John ran back down the stairs, through the halls (passing the janitor on the way, completely oblivious to the world outside his headphones) and into the living quarters. He grabbed his own coat and was back to the rooftop entrance in what had to be record time. The scene was the same as when he left it a minute ago. Ignoring his colleagues, John went out. Ted gave no hint that he heard his approach. He stepped up next to him.

“It’s cold out this evening, isn’t it,” John said. He had forgotten to grab his gloves in his haste. His hands were already going numb so he thrust them deep in the coat pockets.

Ted looked blankly ahead. The sun had sunk further behind the mountains now. The sky overhead was turning the color of deep violet.

“I think it’s time we go back inside, Doctor.”

Still no reply.

“Perhaps you’ve had enough wine to drink.”

“No I haven’t. I haven’t had a sip, and it’s not wine. It’s a bottle of champagne. I bought it personally for the day when we’d succeed, but it doesn’t look like that day will come.”

“Need I ask what you’re doing up here with it?”

“I was going to drop it off the roof seeing how there’s no need for it.”

This was too much for John to take in. Ted was many things. A little eccentric, but never melancholy. “Cheer up, Doc. No one ever said building giant robots of doom to take over the world would be easy. There’s bound to be setbacks. If there’s anyone who can do it, it’s you.”

“You mean it? You really think I have what it takes?”

John wrapped an arm around him. “Absolutely.”

Ted’s eyes glistened. “I don’t know what to say. That’s the most beautiful thing anyone’s ever told me. I was an only child, you know. I never knew my mom, and Dad didn’t support my dreams and aspirations.” He held the champagne bottle up. “What do you say we open this sucker up?”

John waved the idea away. “Forget about it. Save it for when we have a working mech.”

“Nonsense! Now you’ve got me in the mood for a drink. Besides, I can always buy another bottle.” Ted popped the cap off before John could stop him, but nothing happened. The liquid inside was frozen solid. “I thought this bottle felt awfully cold after the first hour.”

“How long have you been up here?”

“Fffffffffffffff--seven hours?”

“How about we go back in and make sure you haven’t got frostbite?”

“Sounds like a plan.”

Draft 2: 1994 words
Spoiler:
They were pristine halls that the team walked down day and night, but they didn’t stay that way by themselves. It was nothing but the dull roar of the cleaner and headphones blasting that accompanied the janitor as he decked them. Outside the snow fell in force, snow so white it was like a fairytale. It was a shame no one cared enough to pay attention to it.

---

The little red light blinked, letting Ted know the camera was on. Ted blinked. “This is video log six hundred and fifty-one. The mark thirty-two prototype failed. It, uh, blew up as a matter of fact. Our test pilot didn’t survive. Mark. Marvin? God, I swear it’s on the tip of my tongue. Anyway, a request has been filed for a new pilot. He or she shall arrive shortly. Work on the mark thirty-three prototype has begun immediately. This is Doctor Ted signing off--oh! His name was Malik.”

“Bryan.”

Ted shuffled his feet until his chair swiveled a full 180. Alan stood over him, bag of potato chips in one hand; he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. The bright white overhead lights reflected off the lenses.

“Malik was the pilot we had before Bryan,” Alan said. His face was a blank. He would have made an excellent poker player in another life. Ted hated poker.

---

B. Janis: did you hear those noises they were making the other night?

G. Lynch: how could I not? they were so loud

B. Janis: you’d think alicia and john would be more modest. especially john . . . wtf john

G. Lynch: srsly I know! he lost some major points in my eyes

A. Jacobs: you guys are just now talking about this? it’s soooooooo cOLD in here

J. Parker: why you guys find extreme chess so interesting to begin with i’ll never know . . .

B. Janis: oh hey there john. when did you join the chat?

J. Parker: ive been here the whole time

G. Lynch: awkward

---

“Achoo!” Greg cursed. He blew a slimy wad of greenish-brown snot into the tissue. “I swear, we have all of this at our fingertips.” He spread his arms wide, a gesture meant to encompass not just his work station but the whole facility. “And we waste it on trying to build stupid mechs when it could be better used trying to, oh, I don’ know, find a cure for the common cold!”

Blake stared at him like he was a raving mad man. Greg sneezed again. “Just saying,” he said, sniffing. He reached for another tissue from the box at the end of his desk and came up short. He stretched and stretched, but all he got was a fingertip to touch. He sneezed so loud his body lurched, sending the tissue box over the edge and out of sight. Greg cursed.

“Dude, you sound like a rabid dog barking,” Blake said.

“I do n-no--achoo!”

Somewhere in the base, Alicia’s dog started barking in response. Its agitated reply reverberated down the halls.

“See,” Blake said. “The poor little guy thinks you’re challenging him.”

“Achoo!”

“I think that right there was dog-speak for †˜I’m gonna murder you.’ That’s not very nice, Greg. You just don’t come up on another dog’s territory and run your mouth off like that. You listening to me, dawg? I’m trying to stop you from starting a turf war here.”

Greg rubbed at his sore, red nose, too out of it to even get up and grab the tissue box. “I just want to die.” And it was no understatement. In fact, if the dog busted in ready to tear him limb from limb, he would welcome it with open arms.

---

Crunch.

Alan savored every bit of saltiness as he swallowed the last chip. The empty bag fell in a trash can containing, among other things, more potato chip bags.

Now I’m thirsty, he thought, but the vending machine was all the way down the hall. He resolved himself to leaning on the railing that overlooked the hanger instead. He shivered. They had the heat running 24/7, but it did little to dispel the cold in such a cavernous chamber. Should have brought my coat.

“What’s the hold up?” Ted said over the loudspeaker. He was just a tiny little man in the control box hunched over some terminals.

“You’re the one who told me to triple check the engine,” Alicia radioed in from below. Alan could hear what sounded like the turning of a wrench in the background. “Or do you want this one to blow up as well?”

“Excuse me.”

Ted sighed. “No. I suppose I don’t.”

“Um, excuse me?” It was the new pilot. Scott Davis was his name. Someone had to get it right. Might as well be Alan. “I thought you said the old pilot resigned.”

“He did,” Ted said. “That’s what happens when you die on the job. It’s all the same.”

“It most certainly is not. Let me out of here.”

Alicia climbed down from the backside of the mech. She jumped down the last few feet, tucked her legs and landed in a roll. She took off sprinting for the stairwell leading up to the observation level. “Alicia here,” she said, puffing hard. “We’re all good down here.

“No we’re not,” Scott cut in again. “I’m climbing out now. Hmm. The cockpit won’t open. I think it’s jammed or something.”

“Initiating remote activation,” Ted said. “In five, four, three . . .”

“No, you let me out right now!”

“Two, one.”

“Noooooooooo!” Scott’s screams echoed across the hanger. The loudspeaker screeched.

Nothing. The mech fell over in a colossal, ear-splitting crash of metal against concrete. The voice of the rig’s interface chimed in when the din had died down. “Warning. Critical failure.”

“No shit,” Alan said to himself.

---

The red light blinked. Ted cleared his throat. “This is video log seven hundred and two. The mark thirty-three test run was a failure today. Something went wrong with the hydraulics this time, and the whole thing fell over. Then it exploded. Needless to say, a request for a new pilot has been filed to replace Sam.”

Ted paused. That was all he had to report to the log, but to leave it at that just didn’t see right. He rubbed his bloodshot eyes. “I don’t know what to say. I like to think God put us all on Earth for a purpose. I had thought that building giant robots with machine guns and rocket launchers was my purpose, but now? Now, I’m not so sure.” The clacking of keys resumed off to his right. “All I know is . . .” The clacking stopped; it began again seconds later accompanied by a snigger. “All I know is I DON’T TEXT CHAT WITH THE GUY LITERALLY SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO ME WHILE OTHERS ARE WORKING.”

---

Crunch. Munch munch munch. Crunch. Munch munch munch.

Greg slammed the pen down on the cafeteria table. He sniffed. The worst of the cold had passed, but its lingering effects still taunted him. He was not in the mood to deal with Alan right now. “Do you mind?”

Crunch. “What’s the problem?” Alan’s eyes didn’t meet Greg’s. They were focused listlessly on the crossword puzzle mag in Greg’s hand. “I’m just eating chips.”

“While leaning over my shoulder. Right next to my ear.” Greg didn’t understand while Alan always did stuff like this. Was he purposely trying to piss people off, or was he just a clueless dumbass?

Munch munch munch. “Babykiller.”

“I beg your pardon.”

“Fourteen down.”

Greg followed his finger. Sure enough, he was right. It was a perfect fit; not only was it the right amount of letters, the “k” lined up with the “k” in “cornykorn” in twelve across. He picked up the pen and scribbled it in.

Crunch.

“That doesn’t mean you can continue eating in my ear!”

---

It started as one and then two, but now it was a gathering. They watched through the glass door that led to the roof as Ted walked back and forth along the edge, bottle of wine in hand. What started as a search for the chief scientist turned into a source of mild amusement. John was among the last up top.

“Has anyone tried to go out there and talk to him,” John asked. Ted’s sharp turnabouts brought him precariously off balance each and every time. Every now and then he’d stop and look out toward the fleeting sun on the darkening horizon. It wasn’t long before the snowcapped mountains would have it swallowed whole. It was during these pauses that some of the spectators held their breath in anticipation that the project leader had had his fill of the rigid winds whipping his fur lined coat.

“You go out there, dude,” Blake said. “You know how scary he is when he gets mad.”

“Is he mad right now,” John asked, taking another study of Ted. It was impossible to tell with his back turned to them.

“Be my guest and find out.”

Unbelievable, John thought. They aren’t even trying to defuse the situation.

John ran back down the stairs, through the halls (passing the janitor on the way, completely oblivious to the world outside his headphones) and into the living quarters. He grabbed his own coat and was back to the rooftop entrance in what had to be record time for an out-of-shape scientist. The scene was the same as when he left it a minute ago. Ignoring his colleagues, John went out. Ted gave no hint that he heard his approach. John stepped up next to him.

“It’s cold out this evening, isn’t it,” John said. He had forgotten to grab his gloves in his haste. His hands were already going numb so he thrust them deep into the coat pockets.

Ted looked blankly ahead. The sun had sunk further behind the mountains now. The sky overhead was turning was becoming a deep violet.

Screw the small talk. “I think it’s time we go back inside, Doctor.”

Still no reply.

“Perhaps you’ve had enough wine to drink.”

“No I haven’t. I haven’t had a sip, and it’s not wine. It’s a bottle of champagne. I bought it personally for the day when we’d succeed, but it doesn’t look like that day will come.”

“Need I ask what you’re doing up here with it?”

“I was going to drop it off the roof seeing how there’s no need for it.”

This was too much for John to take in. Ted was many things. A little eccentric but never melancholy. “Cheer up, Doc. No one ever said building giant robots of doom to take over the world would be easy. There’s bound to be setbacks. If there’s anyone who can do it, it’s you.”

“You mean it? You really think I have what it takes?”

John wrapped an arm around him. It was meant to be a friendly gesture, but he relished the doctor’s body heat. “Absolutely.”

Ted’s eyes glistened. “I don’t know what to say. That’s the most beautiful thing anyone’s ever told me. I was an only child, you know. I never knew my mom, and Dad didn’t support my dreams and aspirations.” He held the champagne bottle up. “What do you say we open this sucker?”

John waved the idea away. “Forget about it. Save it for when we have a working mech.”

“Nonsense! Now you’ve got me in the mood for a drink. Besides, I can always buy another bottle.” Ted popped the cap off before John could stop him, but nothing happened. The liquid inside was frozen solid. “I thought this bottle felt awfully cold after the first hour.”

“How long have you been up here?”

“Seven hours?”

“How about we go back in and make sure you haven’t got frostbite?”

“Sounds like a plan.”

Draft 2 Notes: After everyone's decidedly negative to lukewarm feedback, I took what was said and made some changes. I was also going to make it a more coherent story, but then I realized I actually like it the way it is. Don't agree? Well shit. At least I had some fun with this.
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
Thank you for allowing me to go through this and replying to my entry for the competition. I hope it is alright for me to voice my views about this entry.

I found the first sentence very useful. I have an idea where the story is set and what the characters ought to be doing.

I read through this entry and compiled a list of names of those who were mentioned in the story whilst I did that:

Ted
Mark
Marvin
Malik
Bryan
Alan
Janis
Lynch
Jacobs
Parker
Greg
Blake
Davis, Scott
Alicia
John

They were so many characters that I thought that this entry was part of a much bigger story. I have little idea who they are or what they did. Perhaps you can tell me who they are and what is their relation to the story.

This entry was divided into many snippets of what was going on in the secret lab. While it is well written, I could not link all of these stories together.

It is alike beginning to watch a movie an hour after it started or beginning to read a book at the climax of the story without going through the introduction or the buildup. There is a lot of action but I do not know the motivation of the characters or the background of the story.

So these were the questions running in my head:

Why are we tracking test pilots? What is meant by test pilots How come the pilot called Malik died?

Are Janis, Lynch , Jacobs and Parker playing extreme chess? What are they communicating to each other? Are they communicating via text?

Greg is complaining about the investment put into building 'mechs'. What are these mechs for? What is Greg's job?

What is the babykiller? Or is Alan accusing Greg of infanticide? What is k? What is cornykorn?

Why are the characters in the story looking for the chief scientist? I am not very sure but Ted is the name of the scientist, yes? Ted spoke as if he had some goal or purpose in mind. What was it? Why spend 7 hours in the cold?

What happened in the end?

Who are all of the characters mentioned in the story? What do they do?

I believe I am not supposed to view your entry as a coherent story but instead as a collection of stories that may or may not have any relationship with each other. Instead of asking why is that happening, I should appreciate the scenarios in the story for what they are.

Of course, if I am wrong and this is a small part of a much bigger story then I am looking forward to that story.
You're welcome, and thank you for reading mine already.

You're right in that this wasn't written as one, coherent story. It's more of a group of little scenes about this group of scientists. Each one reveals a little about one or two of them, what they're working on and what their goal is. The idea behind this entry is for readers to figure this out and piece together any connections there are. I don't plan on making this part of a bigger thing. I may or may not change/add to it before the contest ends. We'll see.

They were so many characters that I thought that this entry was part of a much bigger story. I have little idea who they are or what they did. Perhaps you can tell me who they are and what is their relation to the story.

Mark/Marvin/Malik are all the same person. Ted just couldn't remember the guy's name.

B. Janis is Blake, G. Lynch is Greg, A. Jacobs is Alicia and J. Parker is John. Yes, they are text chatting.

Almost all of your questions have answers that I thought could be easily gleaned from reading the entry. Now I'm not so sure. If someone else is reading this and you're as lost as Leonard is, continue reading. If you haven't read the story yet, do not continue. Spoilers! kinda

Spoiler:
Why are we tracking test pilots? What is meant by test pilots How come the pilot called Malik died?

We're not tracking them. They simply need them to test the mech they're trying to build, but the prototypes keep exploding and thus killing the pilots.

Are Janis, Lynch , Jacobs and Parker playing extreme chess? What are they communicating to each other?

Alicia and John were playing. No one is actually seen playing during the entry. We only hear about it. They're just text chatting each other for the hell of it.

Greg is complaining about the investment put into building 'mechs'. What are these mechs for? What is Greg's job?

Ted either wants to take over the world or is working for someone who does. The specifics of Greg's job are never mentioned. Feel free to speculate, but he's one of the team.

What is the babykiller? Or is Alan accusing Greg of infanticide? What is k? What is cornykorn?

Just jokes. It turns out Greg's crossword puzzle is really weird.

Why are the characters in the story looking for the chief scientist? I am not very sure but Ted is the name of the scientist, yes? Ted spoke as if he had some goal or purpose in mind. What was it? Why spend 7 hours in the cold?

Yes, Ted is the chief scientist. His goal is to create a mech. He spent 7 hours out in the cold simply because he's depressed that nothing is going right.

John helped Ted feel better, and they go back inside.
my opinions are somehow similar to Leonard as I kind having trouble understanding the entire story. though as I am not up for comprehensive reading except if the story's easy enough to understand, and I mostly only skim the interesting parts, you can just blame me up for this one.

I think the word limit might be the cause for this one. maybe, going up with much simply written story could just do the trick, and toning down the descriptive things in order for the words to solely guide the reader rather than making them have to imagine every detail - I for myself won't risk hurting my brain for my poor imagination to go through the imaginative stages.

well I think again, it might not be to your preference to write simpler stuff.

for what I've read, this appears like a prologue or a climax, or even both, to an even bigger story. I can't really comment about the story, as the most part I caught was about the potato chips. I also have troubles relating to the characters because of them being so many in number yet I don't even know the significance of their roles are. if I were to write something, I mostly go on with as few characters as possible, but try to give them a special role, not just some bystander with dialogues that sounded mostly the same just to advance the story.

the story might be much better imo, if the readers could somehow establish an emotional connection with the characters, with a conclusion which really concludes something. I think, as I skimmed through the ending, the conclusion doesn't seem to give an answer, but as for myself who didn't really get things from the beginning, I can't really form an opinion of that.

nah, please don't reply with lengthy explanations about what's actually happen and what's supposed to happen, my brain might hurt from that. just get back at that by writing something much easier to understand. last but not least, I applaud your effort for getting into the detailed descriptions, even though it's not my preference.

either way, good work. at least it deserves a thumbs up from me =D
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
Spoiler:
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
You're welcome, and thank you for reading mine already.

You're right in that this wasn't written as one, coherent story. It's more of a group of little scenes about this group of scientists. Each one reveals a little about one or two of them, what they're working on and what their goal is. The idea behind this entry is for readers to figure this out and piece together any connections there are. I don't plan on making this part of a bigger thing. I may or may not change/add to it before the contest ends. We'll see.

Mark/Marvin/Malik are all the same person. Ted just couldn't remember the guy's name.

B. Janis is Blake, G. Lynch is Greg, A. Jacobs is Alicia and J. Parker is John. Yes, they are text chatting.

Almost all of your questions have answers that I thought could be easily gleaned from reading the entry. Now I'm not so sure. If someone else is reading this and you're as lost as Leonard is, continue reading. If you haven't read the story yet, do not continue. Spoilers! kinda

Spoiler:

We're not tracking them. They simply need them to test the mech they're trying to build, but the prototypes keep exploding and thus killing the pilots.

Are Janis, Lynch , Jacobs and Parker playing extreme chess? What are they communicating to each other?

Alicia and John were playing. No one is actually seen playing during the entry. We only hear about it. They're just text chatting each other for the hell of it.

Ted either wants to take over the world or is working for someone who does. The specifics of Greg's job are never mentioned. Feel free to speculate, but he's one of the team.

Just jokes. It turns out Greg's crossword puzzle is really weird.

Yes, Ted is the chief scientist. His goal is to create a mech. He spent 7 hours out in the cold simply because he's depressed that nothing is going right.

John helped Ted feel better, and they go back inside.
[/spoil]

If you wish to edit your entry, I believe the explanations that you have provided in the spoilers like what Ted's job is and the purpose of the secret lab can help to strengthen the entry. I am also interested to know why you included the scenes of the characters playing chess and doing crossword puzzles.
Ugh, I think I'll wait for more feedback. For now I will say that you guys may be thinking too hard about it. There's no super secret meaning to be had in this story, that's for damn sure.
Grammar: Not Good - Jarring at times, had to re-read certain portions. It is also the choice of words and placement that is, while technically grammatically correct, is extremely unwieldy and also (using SAT standards) wrong. Also, please capitalize names.

Story Flow: Very... Jarring. (More on Personals)

Topical/Theme: From what I understand, the location was some snowcapped mountains. As for theme, I'd say the general idea of the main character being this cold scientist fell 100% inside the main theme and successfully achieves the topic.

Genre: Detective / Slice of Life

Main Perspective: Taking over the world is tough when things don't always work out.

Personals: Now I can see here that you're trying to achieve something that is usually done in organized blocks of text and chapters. I did like the idea that this cold doctor actually wants to help everyone around him except for the unfortunate pilots that die and really wants to be loved in the end. Will this doctor finally create his death robot? No clue, but will his cold heart be warmed by the love of people? It seems so. That is a decent story plot really. You certainly had an idea of where you wanted to go with the video log concept and it made it kind of comical to know that every vlog before the current one was simply another catastrophic death.

I definitely felt a bit of British humor in here. The dryness of it all reminded me a lot of all those wonderful British TV shows I've seen. You do know what you're doing and I feel like if you had the time to really flesh it out, it would be hilarious.

I do want to touch on a few points...

1st - First of all, were all the characters necessary? Was the communication between the two girls necessary? All the jumps in between multiple people as well as a lack of actual personal perspective made it hard to get into the story. Did I know they were building robots of doom? No. Did I find out? Yes. Was the question, "What are they building?" posed? No. While many genres have different kinds of story flow, something like this seems to be a more light-hearted, quizzical genre that has a simple impetus for reading. Ask the reader a question, then answer it as time goes on while tossing small hints to feed the fire.

2nd - While I knew who the main character was, we never had a chance to get inside his head for even a second until the very ending. Usually the main character is set up (3rd person POV) by allowing the reader to know more about what he/she is thinking more than the other characters.

3rd- Pet Peeve of mine- writing 180 degrees as one hundred and eighty degrees- or any 3+ digit number as words. Why? Its overly verbose rather than effectively enjoyable. While the grammatically, we are told to write 180 as one-hundred and eighty, as a hobby writer, it pains me to see this.

4th- Your choice of words for onomatopoeia. You chose to italicize Crunch and Now I'm Thirsty. What was the purpose of italicization? Was this suppose to be in the head of the character? Why is Crunch in his head? Every literary device, especially things like italicization, bolding, and all caps should be done in a way that makes it a literary device. The concept of bold/vitalization of words may not be a novel concept, but its usage, I believe, is more of a modern process of writing in the digital era. I applaud continuously testing the range of usage, but with testing requires a lot of patience and thought.
Oh, wow! Thank you for this very thoughtful response. I'll admit that when I wrote this, I came up with an idea, wrote some scenes that sprung from that idea . . . and that was pretty much it.

Grammar: Not Good - Jarring at times, had to re-read certain portions. It is also the choice of words and placement that is, while technically grammatically correct, is extremely unwieldy and also (using SAT standards) wrong. Also, please capitalize names.

I thought my grammar was nice. I guess I need to work on that. Would it be too much trouble to ask what parts in particular you had trouble reading? And what do you mean by capitalizing names? I'm pretty sure I did that unless you're referring to the little part set up as a text chat. I was trying to emulate how some people type in real life, which, among other things, includes not capitalizing proper nouns.

First of all, were all the characters necessary? Was the communication between the two girls necessary? All the jumps in between multiple people as well as a lack of actual personal perspective made it hard to get into the story. Did I know they were building robots of doom? No. Did I find out? Yes. Was the question, "What are they building?" posed? No. While many genres have different kinds of story flow, something like this seems to be a more light-hearted, quizzical genre that has a simple impetus for reading. Ask the reader a question, then answer it as time goes on while tossing small hints to feed the fire.

I wanted to convey that the facility has a lot going on in it as opposed to just three or four guys. Perhaps that wasn't the best choice to make for a short story under 2000 words.

While I knew who the main character was, we never had a chance to get inside his head for even a second until the very ending. Usually the main character is set up (3rd person POV) by allowing the reader to know more about what he/she is thinking more than the other characters.

Actually, every single scene in this, except for the very first one about the janitor, is set up in 3rd person. I just didn't dive too much into the thoughts of the character whose perspective the scene is being told from until the end. I should have had more thought going on throughout. At over 1800 words though, there's not a whole lot that could be added. One or more of the scenes would have to be shortened/cut.

Pet Peeve of mine- writing 180 degrees as one hundred and eighty degrees- or any 3+ digit number as words. Why?

You know, I can't say. I made a conscientious decision to do it that way, but I don't remember why.

You chose to italicize Crunch and Now I'm Thirsty. What was the purpose of italicization?

I italicized both sound effects and thoughts. Probably not the best choice especially considering the close approximation of some of the sounds and thoughts. That's clear to me now as I look back on it after someone has specifically pointed it out.
I cannot as the rules of the contest, but I can after the 1st. Rather than being entirely grammatically wrong, it's more grammatically unwieldy and your choice of writing tends to not be seen as much.
Xenon usually does a huge grammar/wording check if you ask him for opinions after the winner's thread is made. I guess

Which is pretty damn helpful.
Prince wrote...
I cannot as the rules of the contest, but I can after the 1st. Rather than being entirely grammatically wrong, it's more grammatically unwieldy and your choice of writing tends to not be seen as much.

Ah, of course.

Cinia wrote...
Xenon usually does a huge grammar/wording check if you ask him for opinions after the winner's thread is made. I guess

Which is pretty damn helpful.

Will do.
I have no damn idea what I just read. No, I got the 'plot', but yeah, that was random.

Definitely one of your worse works. :v

Now, time for something less alcoholic (lies, I am drinking as this is typed).

I won't bother about the grammar, it looked ok to me. And while some parts were queer, you were trying to emulate the chatting language so it was supposed to be that way.

About the characters... I found them very underwhelming and vapid. I can't really say why, but they're really lacking in some sense. And even if you said they are scientists, I can't quite see it in them...

Plot/Flow, no comment. As I said, pure randomness was the only impression I had. I guess it was never intended as any kind of story, just a snippet of the daily life of some people.
Livided FAKKU Writer
Most have already been said, I am struggling to add something original.

But I will say as someone who can enjoy a mad story, I enjoyed it for the sake of the madness and randomness of it hehe. The dialogue to me was also very interesting.

As for the negative parts, yea, everyone above it said it all.
mibuchiha wrote...
I have no damn idea what I just read. No, I got the 'plot', but yeah, that was random.

Definitely one of your worse works. :v

Hmm. For some reason, I wasn't able to see the less alcoholic part until I picked to quote your post. Anyway, I will defend my work by saying I don't think it's THAT bad.

About the characters... I found them very underwhelming and vapid. I can't really say why, but they're really lacking in some sense. And even if you said they are scientists, I can't quite see it in them...

As Prince said, I don't really get inside the heads of the characters. That's probably the problem. You are absolutely right to point out that it's difficult to imagine them as scientists. Perhaps that was actually intentional though. . .

Plot/Flow, no comment. As I said, pure randomness was the only impression I had. I guess it was never intended as any kind of story, just a snippet of the daily life of some people.

I decided to take this contest as an opportunity to experiment a bit. As you say, it's really just bits and pieces of people's lives.

EDIT:

Livided wrote...
Most have already been said, I am struggling to add something original.

But I will say as someone who can enjoy a mad story, I enjoyed it for the sake of the madness and randomness of it hehe. The dialogue to me was also very interesting.

As for the negative parts, yea, everyone above it said it all.

Thank you for taking the time to read it.
“We’re all good down here.

Yeap, you probably forgot all about the quotation mark for a bit there. We're all lazy as hell when it comes to re-checking. What a pain? Right? I'm not being sarcastic here; I just know this feel.

Anyway, I don't know what in the name of flying fuck I just read. Too many names randomly popping up. I didn't think it was actually bad, just too random, and I had no idea what anything or everything in this was about... until I read 'mech'. Then I got the gist of it. You don't do that when you have a word limit waiting for you to challenge it.

I'm sorry, but I stopped reading somewhere mid-way, thought I'd comment regardless. I do believe all the criticism people provided will prove to be quite beneficial though.
I like the premise of this: a look into the daily lives of a group of people working on mechs of doom in a secret facility. The use of different narrative techniques is a nice touch. The problem I see is that it’s too random: I am failing to see a proper middle and end here or a story altogether. This is paired with awkward sentence structures in parts (especially the beginning) making some parts confusing and dull characters.

You might want to watch your repetition a bit. This can be solved easily by reading out your work aloud and you will most likely stumble over them. A word frequency counter can also help. It’s not the biggest problem here, but I noticed it in a few places. (“snow fell […] snow so white”, “red light blinked […] Ted blinked.”, “Greg cursed. […] Greg cursed.”)

Try not to use double quotation marks (“”) when highlighting something if you already use them to signify dialogue. Use single quotation marks instead (†˜’), otherwise your “k” and “cornykorn” are actually dialogue.

I also find it funny to imagine Alan leaning over the railing of a clothes hanger, but I think you mean a hangar.

Be consistent and clear, especially with dialogue. The dialogue in this scene is hard to follow and confusing. You introduce the speakers Alan, Ted and Alicia. Ted says something, Alicia answers, then someone else says something. Logically this would have to be Ted – this is how dialogue works, instead it’s a new character – Scott – who is not introduced until some lines later. This is simply confusing.

Don’t use capslock in dialogue, it doesn’t work. If someone screams, then show us they scream, but don’t use capslock. You cannot speak in capslock.

/grammar rant, sorry

As I said before I quite like the idea, but the story is almost nonexistent. Slice of life is not just random bits of people’s daily lives – that is boring. You still need stories – often small and self-contained – with beginnings, middles, and ends. You could have taken us through a single day at the facility, or the story of the work on a single mech prototype, or the story of a new pilot that ends up dead in the end. Instead we have a random snippets from random days and those are not a story. There are hints about the story of Ted falling into depression, but it is too underdeveloped to be the leading element.

Final Thoughts:

I really like the idea and I do think you could make something out of it, but in its current state this is not very interesting to read apart from some parts. There is a lack of structure and a leading element to tie everything together and present it in an entertaining way to make it a story. Just let me make clear that I do not hate this or think it is all bad, I really enjoyed parts of it. However, it falls flat as a story in my opinion.

As a side note, what kind of crappy headphones is the janitor using that the music from them is roaring through the halls?

Edit: Remembered that I noticed this... in the end:
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
“Has anyone tried to go out there and talk to him,” John asked.
[...]
“Is he mad right now,” John asked [...]

In fact, he did not ask, he just said it. If he had asked it, there would be a questionmark.
sora_coltrane wrote...
I liked how you fleshed the characters with the details . . . That's all I have to add if it wasn't already mentioned. Good job!

I'm glad somebody liked it!

Cinia wrote...
Yeap, you probably forgot all about the quotation mark for a bit there. We're all lazy as hell when it comes to re-checking. What a pain? Right? I'm not being sarcastic here; I just know this feel.

Goddamn it. I thought this story was error free! And yes, you are correct. If someone were to invent an error check system that actually works, they'd make millions.

Cinia wrote...
'm sorry, but I stopped reading somewhere mid-way, thought I'd comment regardless. I do believe all the criticism people provided will prove to be quite beneficial though.

Eh, don't worry about it.

Raptor wrote...
As I said before I quite like the idea, but the story is almost nonexistent. Slice of life is not just random bits of people’s daily lives – that is boring. You still need stories – often small and self-contained – with beginnings, middles, and ends. You could have taken us through a single day at the facility, or the story of the work on a single mech prototype, or the story of a new pilot that ends up dead in the end. Instead we have a random snippets from random days and those are not a story. There are hints about the story of Ted falling into depression, but it is too underdeveloped to be the leading element.

Got it. Your points are on par with what others are saying for the most part.

Raptor wrote...
A word frequency counter can also help. It’s not the biggest problem here, but I noticed it in a few places. (“snow fell […] snow so white”, “red light blinked […] Ted blinked.”, “Greg cursed. […] Greg cursed.”)

I actually did some of those on purpose . . .

Rapotr wrote...
I also find it funny to imagine Alan leaning over the railing of a clothes hanger, but I think you mean a hangar.

Yes! I wonder if I'm allowed to change that.

Raptor wrote...
Logically this would have to be Ted – this is how dialogue works, instead it’s a new character – Scott – who is not introduced until some lines later. This is simply confusing.

I don't know about you, but when someone jumps into a conversation out of nowhere, it does tend to be a little confusing for me sometimes. I was going for that, but I guess I messed up.

Raptor wrote...

Don’t use capslock in dialogue, it doesn’t work. If someone screams, then show us they scream, but don’t use capslock. You cannot speak in capslock.

No one throws punctuation marks in when they speak either. We just use them in writing to give cues to how dialogue would be said if it was spoken, but I think I get where you're coming from. It makes it annoying to read and is unconventional. Got it.

Raptor wrote...

In fact, he did not ask, he just said it. If he had asked it, there would be a questionmark.

I've actually seen it done both ways in books. With a question mark and as you see in this contest entry.

Raptor wrote...

As a side note, what kind of crappy headphones is the janitor using that the music from them is roaring through the halls?

Really crappy and the volume is really loud. Though perhaps there was better word to use.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
I don't know about you, but when someone jumps into a conversation out of nowhere, it does tend to be a little confusing for me sometimes. I was going for that, but I guess I messed up.

I cannot disagree with that. However, I'm not saying that a conversation cannot get confusing when someone jumps into it out of nowhere. The problem is that this conversation didn't get confusing for the ones involved - they actually didn't even react to it. Instead it gets confusing for the reader and that is a problem.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
No one throws punctuation marks in when they speak either. We just use them in writing to give cues to how dialogue would be said if it was spoken, but I think I get where you're coming from. It makes it annoying to read and is unconventional. Got it.

It is unconventional, yes, but not exactly what I mean. We don't speak out punctuation marks of course, but we do use them when speaking. I don't know how you speak, but when I do I have long and short pauses between my sentences. That is where full stops or commas would be.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
I've actually seen it done both ways in books. With a question mark and as you see in this contest entry.

I have not seen so myself, but if it's a stylistic choice then fair enough. I can't say I like it, as it seems inconsistent and leaves the poor question mark in the dust, but that is just me.

To combine both previous points: question marks and exclamation points work the same way. If you see a question mark, you automatically know it's a question, just as an exclamation point lets you see it's an exclamation, which is usually loud or shouted. You do not speak these, but they let you know how it would be spoken while reading - they signify the intonation of your voice.
Reading your entry, I felt it was a nice a change of wind after reading mibuchiha's mushy story.

I actually like the idea of the story. A crazy scientists and his team are trying to take over the world. Their lives go on in a secret lab in a ice-barren land. Readers were taken to see how world conquerors live and work. How nice. I mean, how can you NOT like that? The only problem lies in how you present the idea though.

I read through your first draft, read all the comments, and I do mean ALL of them (man, that was long), then read your second draft. I didn't seem to have any problem with the grammar and stuffs, but some sentences were very ambiguous. What I felt after I read your entry is that the parts were really irrelevant to each other, and honestly, didn't contribute much to the actual story. As FGRaptor has said, we didn't get any backgrounds of the characters, which is something that every story ought to have, because that's what enrich the story. It tells you what drives them, what makes the story, well, the story, not some other.

Most of my problems FGRaptor have already pointed out, which I'm grateful for as I don't have to repeat them. I still have some questions for the plot myself, though.

Where do they get pilots to test drive? Why would the pilots sign up for their one-way trip to hell? Why didn't the group test any of their mechs first before having a real person inside? I know they're bad guys, but they have to be organized, too, in order to take over the world.

I thought the idea of having all of the convenience of modern life, like bars or Internet to text, or headphones and music, crossword that one would find in a newspaper, a bit absurd, because shit this is a hidden lair. I know evil scientists are nor barbarians but the fact that they have all that appears unfitting to me.

Final Comments:
I actually found myself enjoy it much more than most dudes here would think. You have crafted a fictional world, a lab, with people, who that could have been more developed than on the surface, live and work, and that imo, is a cool idea. Readers get to find out that bad guys, while they do bad things to other people, in fact are humans and are always taking care of their comrades. On the other hand, I think you have a lot more room to expand the original idea into a more proper and absorbing story than just some random scenes of some random people.

Good luck in the poll.
I read through your first draft, read all the comments, and I do mean ALL of them (man, that was long), then read your second draft.

Thanks for taking the time go through all of that, but damn it. Now I have to read your entry.

Reading your entry, I felt it was a nice a change of wind after reading mibuchiha's mushy story.

That's what I was going for. Not something that specifically contrasted with Mibu's entry, but I realized that like half the entries were going to be sad and depressing, so I definitely wanted to do something more lighthearted.

As FGRaptor has said, we didn't get any backgrounds of the characters, which is something that every story ought to have, because that's what enrich the story. It tells you what drives them, what makes the story, well, the story, not some other.

Yeah. I shot myself in the foot by trying include so many characters in such a small thing. As is, there's no room for background.

Where do they get pilots to test drive? Why would the pilots sign up for their one-way trip to hell? Why didn't the group test any of their mechs first before having a real person inside? I know they're bad guys, but they have to be organized, too, in order to take over the world.

The pilots aren't told that there's a 99.9% chances the things they're going to be piloting will blow up with them inside. I decided to leave the source of the pilots up to the imagination of the reader. Perhaps the facility's being backed by a mysterious billionaire, or maybe it answers to a splinter faction of the US military.

I thought the idea of having all of the convenience of modern life, like bars or Internet to text, or headphones and music, crossword that one would find in a newspaper, a bit absurd, because shit this is a hidden lair. I know evil scientists are nor barbarians but the fact that they have all that appears unfitting to me.

Well, some of those things like the headphones were undoubtedly brought in by the individuals who own them. There's no bar; there's a cafeteria. They got to have some place to eat, right? This is a top-notch facility! It wouldn't surprise me if their bathroom has a jacuzzi in it.

I actually found myself enjoy it much more than most dudes here would think. You have crafted a fictional world, a lab, with people, who that could have been more developed than on the surface, live and work, and that imo, is a cool idea. Readers get to find out that bad guys, while they do bad things to other people, in fact are humans and are always taking care of their comrades. On the other hand, I think you have a lot more room to expand the original idea into a more proper and absorbing story than just some random scenes of some random people.

Again, thank you for taking the time to read it. I'm happy that you enjoyed it to varying degrees.
Pages 12Next