[Winter Contest Entry 2015] The Enigmatic Lady

Pages 12Next
Cinia Pacifica Ojou-sama Writer
The comet shined across the horizon, blazing past the stars, and all that was ever remembered as edgy, profanity, and particularly cynicism ceased to exist— oh wait, sorry, wrong story.

Here’s what I got for now, ladies and gentlemen:

Spoiler:

The Enigmatic Lady

For the first time—when I entered the room—I chanced a glance upon her. The once cherished jewel was now laid atop a bed.

I almost pitied her. Her room was hardly comparable to the level of lavish luxury my father could afford. I smiled—feeling triumphant— she got her just desserts.

The lady seemingly eyed me with curiosity. Momentarily, her gaze turned sharp—or rather, fierce—like when a lioness would hunt its prey. However, what graced me was a brilliant smile befitting of a picturesque portrait. This famous quality of her’s had won the hearts of many.

Was I imagining things?

My shoulders stiffened, and I held my breath for a moment—spellbound.

…As expected of her, I thought.

What my vision found prominent was her pristine, fine statue-like figure—her beautiful, pellucid wonder of a face—and her wavy golden blonde hair that could reach down to her hips, regally crowning her top. This was the elegant femme fatale who had been a popular subject among many.

I’d be overjoyed if this was the old me. Now? I could only give a sour look.

I looked down to her generously endowed bosom—and her perfect proportions—with disdain. Would I grow up to be just as blessed… ?

Overcome with concern, I believed my face would reflect my emotions. This was a time I considered most inauspicious to show such an expression before someone as respectable as her. Desperate, I attempted to cleanse my mind of thoughts, in order to present my facial aspects with more dignity.

…A poor performance of self-control; I could instantly rate myself the worst score for a lack of effort had I carried a mirror to peek at.

“Well? What good would you do standing there like a sculpture? Come here, young lady.”

The woman pulled herself up subsequently, and straightened her back.

Speak for yourself, would you? The words slipped past my tongue, almost. Indeed, that description was quite ironic.

Navigating—I strolled over to the other side of the room—to find myself before a chair. I could simply be seated beside her, but I chose to hoist it all the way to the bed’s flank instead; I wouldn’t suffer to be any closer.

“Good evening. Please pardon my rudeness. I’ve been feeling… a little tired recently.”

Embarrassed due to my pathetic excuse, I pondered if my cheeks were flushed with a shade of crimson full of shame. It was too late to take back my words, unfortunately.

“Is that so? You don’t look tired to me.”

Duh! Again, I almost quipped. “Well, I… ”

I looked down and hastily attempted to rectify myself.

“You were embarrassed since you made an excuse you found inappropriate?”

“Huh… ?!” Dear Lord, this person. As one could guess—my mouth was agape—I was speechless. It took me some seconds to recover. “No need to remark so brazenly about it.”

I retorted barely—using words I usually wouldn’t—and attempted to appear composed. Alas, my expression was rigid.

The erudite lady chuckled mirthfully to this sight.

“Did that help with your nervousness?”

“ …I suppose it did.”

“So, what did you wanted to talk about?”

“Pardon? That’d be my question, Mrs. Hailey.”

“Oh dear, I was certain that you’d have chanced to speak with me at least once, hence the invitation was sent.”

“I don't mean to be rude, but I honestly don’t have anything to say.”

“Then allow me to begin: for what purpose do you live?”

You’d start with something heavy just like that?! I cleared my throat before answering, “You know as well as I do about my career.”

No more could I meet her pair of dazzling azure eyes and speak with confidence and vigor. It felt as though she could see right through me.

“That doesn’t answer the question, young lady.”

“I really don’t have an answer, though.”

I always took on the words of my role-model, after all. I regret it even tonight.

“That’s fine, you are still growing.”

Growing, huh… ? How very acrimonious for a comment. I looked down at my underdeveloped self. My contempt—or should I say jealousy?—was returning to me. “Say, Mrs. Hailey, how’d you answer the question you just made?”

It seemed like the fabled woman—who I once admired—took the liberty to contemplate. It took her less than five seconds to gather her thoughts.

“I suppose I live to sate my desires.”

“ …Really? Really? That’s it?”

What kind of a statement was that? I didn’t expect it. Her admittance to greed was far too straight-forward. It sounded a little too simple for an adult like her.

“Isn’t it natural? Why else do you think we live?”

“I thought it’d be related to your career, Mrs. Hailey. Please pardon me for my assumption.”

“You’re not wrong. I did enjoy my career.”

“But you claimed to the press that you were stressed and tired of your work.”

“Ahaha! Yes, I did overwork myself. You see… I’ve always wanted to spread my wings and do everything I wanted to in my life.”

“So you left behind your responsibilities to tire yourself out and live the dream? Why would you do that?”

The media claimed that none of her family members ever interacted with her. She herself publicly confirmed this in an interview. That was how she set herself apart from others—placing herself over a pedestal. Most people with a career like her’s would use “professionalism” as a shield for safety.

Perchance she founded an excuse to relish her very professionalism?

“Have you heard of the Analogy of the Sun before?”

“A little.”

“I wanted to be the †˜child of goodness.’”

“The… †˜sun?’”

“Yes, the †˜sun.’ I wanted to be the light to guide the senses—or rather, the minds of the individuals. Particularly, my guidance would extend to those who are yet young and inexperienced like you. In essence, my wish was perfection for the audience.”

I feigned ignorance, but it made sense the more she elaborated. Whenever I watched her performances, it sometimes felt as though she was looking afar, as if there was an unsurmountable wall that she’d soon attempt to scale.

She was ready for a challenge, always.

“What made you want to be the †˜sun?’”

“Inspirations. My seniors’ works. The world around me in general. Perhaps one day you’ll understand.”

“No offense to you, Mrs. Hailey, but I wouldn’t want to be like you.”

“That is absolutely fine.”

“Didn’t you wanted to be the †˜sun’ though? Wouldn’t you want people to aspire to be like you?”

“Not necessarily so, young lady.”

“Would you please stop calling me that?”

Ignoring my question, Mrs. Hailey continued, “It matters not whether a person wants to be like me. The audience may take what they want from what gets displayed. The enlightenment would vary based on individual perceptions. This regards people wanting to learn from me, of course. Otherwise, entertainment is simply entertainment.”

“But the whole reason you just explained… ”

“I just wanted to regale, really. Regarding the †˜sun,’ for instance, the experiences of viewing my performances… ”

“Let me guess what you’ll bring up: empiricism?” I questioned most sardonically.

“Maybe? Maybe not?”

“Which one is it?!”

I snapped, knitting my brows to form a frown. My mood was evident.

“Clearly, that is boring.”

She is an enigma… I concluded.

I heaved a sigh while Mrs. Hailey proceeded to burst into a fit of unabated laughter after blinking several times at my agitated response. Her thought process was extremely complicated for me to comprehend in its entirety.

I need stay calm. My temper flared—barely under its leash.

I took a deep breath, which—incidentally—was an advise I read in one of Mrs. Hailey’s interviews.

“Well, I’ve made my answer, sweetheart. It’s your turn now,” Mrs. Hailey said, gesturing towards me. Her smile appeared to me as full of condescension before she giggled. “I’m guessing you were considering your answer. You’re just like your father.”

“ …What is there to say? That I’ve always looked up to you? That I’ve aspired to be an actress like you? That I’ve lost my way?!” my voice quivered violently, and I was fidgeting with unbridled rancor. “Why… why now? After all these years, I was to believe that you are my supposed deceased mother?”

One could say that Mrs. Hailey had opened a can of worms—no, more like expired rations. That’s how long my despicable feelings laid dormant deep within my heart.

All my time was spent on her films; dances, songs, interviews; and even the philosophical concepts she’d seldom discuss. Then, out of the blue I was told that my mother was alive and hale—ignored me—and went on with her own business like I was unrelated—like I was nothing to her.

I was fine with it—I really believed I was—yet why were tears rolling past my cheeks? Like mother like daughter, as one would say; I was as selfish as her. I wanted her to give up on everything just to be with me. I was being a big baby—someone who wanted attention. Is that why I wanted to be an actress?

How would she know about these festering feelings of mine while she was busy indulging her fame?

At some point, I was under the embrace of my frail mother—wetting her white gown—weeping like a child. This pleasing feeling of being gently stroked on my blonde hair reminded me of my father.

“I’m sorry, you must’ve been very lonely.”

Don’t apologize to me. Not now.

“I’ve lived to be an actress like you, mother. There is no other answer,” I confessed.

“My mistake, perhaps you weren’t so lonely after all.”

You were my “sun” after all.

“ …Which one is it?”

“I’m sorry. Will you forgive me?”

I’d vehemently point out her capriciousness, but not now.

“Will you spend more time with me if I do that?”

Her lips stretched wide to smile, before wiping my tears and planting a kiss on my forehead. Did she just… gave her consent?

“You don’t need to be like me.” For the first time, her voice was full of grief and sorrow. “You’d never reach your goal.”

We parted, and the pangs of dismay grasped my heart once more. If only time had stopped for all of eternity then and there.

“What’d want me to do?”

“Spread your wings, my dear Lucy. It’s your life—it’s your path. In this industry—they seek you from you, not me. You’ll find your answer eventually.”

“Mother…”

I felt an indescribable ecstasy, for she had uttered my name for the very first time.

“Wisdom is not equivalent to one’s age—it is an amalgamation of experience. You cannot replicate it. So, promise me that you’ll face your challenges head-on without trying to be like me.”

“I shall, mother. I promise.”

“Good girl,” Mrs. Hailey said. Subsequently, she laid back down. “Now, I’m sure you’re tired from work, so I shall bid you farewell.”

“ …Will you spend more time with me if I do as you say?”

“I’ll always be with you, Lucy.”

“Then I’ll forgive you, mother.”

“Thank you.”

Unfettered from my despairs, my heart was rejuvenated. I nodded, cupping the air atop my chest.

My resolve was made. I’d become a great actress. I wouldn’t tolerate to be overshadowed by my peers or my parent. One day, she’d be proud of me as I break out of my cage. Thus, I acquiesced.

Giving the device beside her bed a glance, I wondered how she could bare to live in this noisy room. I suppose sleep was indeed a luxury.

“Good night. I’ll be back.”

For the first time, my voice was not full of grief and sorrow.

I heard a murmur when exiting the room.

“Please forgive me.”

Forever shall I refer to her as a stout woman unbound by logic and rationality. Someone who performed as if merely breathing.

The beeping noise from the device became continuous.

Shocked, I rushed back… but was too late. I cried like a child yet again.

The enigmatic lady—on this Christmas Eve—departed from the material realm.

Music used for when writing this piece:

- Soleil
- Bheith I Ngra Le

This entry was last edited on December 31st, 2015, at 23:34.
I think you did a great job with the characters in this. I get the feeling that Hailey is someone who's done a lot in life (not all of which she's proud of) but despite her experience, she isn't all that comfortable dealing with Lucy. Lucy starts off the story also not too sure how to deal with Hailey, but she has a strong idea of what she wants to do for with her life, and as her conversation with Haily stretches on, suddenly she's not so sure of herself. It's nice to see Lucy's interaction with her mother affect her in this way.

However, while I enjoyed the characters and the conflict between them, there's something about the story that made it difficult for me to get through, and I don't know what that is. It could be there's nothing wrong at all and it's just me. I really have no idea as of this point. I'll have to read through it again.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
I think you did a great job with the characters in this. I get the feeling that Hailey is someone who's done a lot in life (not all of which she's proud of) but despite her experience, she isn't all that comfortable dealing with Lucy. Lucy starts off the story also not too sure how to deal with Hailey, but she has a strong idea of what she wants to do for with her life, and as her conversation with Haily stretches on, suddenly she's not so sure of herself. It's nice to see Lucy's interaction with her mother affect her in this way.

However, while I enjoyed the characters and the conflict between them, there's something about the story that made it difficult for me to get through, and I don't know what that is. It could be there's nothing wrong at all and it's just me. I really have no idea as of this point. I'll have to read through it again.

Thanks for the feedback. I did dropped hints or implications about pretty much everything I could think of regarding whatever takes place... for instance, how the room was plain and in reality she was pitying her for being hospitalized. I don't know what was difficult to get through but if you do realize, I'd love to know.
Fallan Kamen Rider Cheeki
While the story isn't badly written in any way, there's something that makes it hard for me to be caught up in the conversation between the two. It feels like I am that guy who's listening to two people talk in a subway.

Anyway, 77 Doritos/1 mountain dew.
Fallan wrote...
While the story isn't badly written in any way, there's something that makes it hard for me to be caught up in the conversation between the two. It feels like I am that guy who's listening to two people talk in a subway.

Well, I did wanted people to figure things out as they would read. Instead of being completely contextually informed way ahead of time.

Would 77 grains of rice do?
Fallan Kamen Rider Cheeki
Cinia Pacifica wrote...
Fallan wrote...

Well, I did wanted people to figure things out as they read. Instead of being completely contextually informed way ahead of time.

I only accept Cool Ranch Doritos, the perfect gamer fuel for today's gamers.

Spoiler:
Personally, taking off from my earlier comment, to me it lacked a hook that made me curious and invested in the characters I am reading about. But that's just probably my chuuni tastes talking.
Fallan wrote...
Cinia Pacifica wrote...
Fallan wrote...

Well, I did wanted people to figure things out as they read. Instead of being completely contextually informed way ahead of time.

I only accept Cool Ranch Doritos, the perfect gamer fuel for today's gamers.

Spoiler:
Personally, taking off from my earlier comment, to me it lacked a hook that made me curious and invested in the characters I am reading about. But that's just probably my chuuni tastes talking.

But rice is what keeps you alive and happy and shit.

Okay, that is actually a notable point. I will admit that my opening line wasn't the best, but hey maybe the line just above the real story was more chuuni!
Not that I would find any notable errors anyway, I actually enjoyed reading this. Giving you the deluxe abridged version from my reaction in Skype, I'll say, holy fuck that ending. I'd think I was so starstruck from it because I probably didn't note the hospital scene, or any of your many hints. Bah, maybe that's just me or my neglect of wearing me glasses.

Characters were cool. Can't say that I was turned off by their conversation, but it does seem a little long.

I suck ass at giving feedback. Sometimes I feel like it's not my place to do it.

But yeah. Good read, yo.
Ezlare wrote...
Not that I would find any notable errors anyway, I actually enjoyed reading this. Giving you the deluxe abridged version from my reaction in Skype, I'll say, holy fuck that ending. I'd think I was so starstruck from it because I probably didn't note the hospital scene, or any of your many hints. Bah, maybe that's just me or my neglect of wearing me glasses.

Characters were cool. Can't say that I was turned off by their conversation, but it does seem a little long.

I suck ass at giving feedback. Sometimes I feel like it's not my place to do it.

But yeah. Good read, yo.

Hi, thanks for the more elaborated version of your comment. I really appreciate it.

I actually wrote the ending with such an intention, and am glad the hints weren't easily caught out. I happen to like making some kind of a surprise factor in my works as you may have noticed in my RP. I did not make the hospital room very apparent until the device was mentioned, so don't fret!

Thanks for reading, even if you did without glasses.
I could just be because there were a lot more questions than answers, but I couldn't seem to get emotionally invested in either of the characters. It could just be that I'm used to more gradual character development, because though I didn't understand much at first, most of my questions were answered later on.

It should be noted that the mysterious qualities of this work, where information is immediately omitted and some of it, not all, is released over interactions between the characters, was something I really enjoyed.

Your work is also very concise, because it takes little time for you to get to the point, develop the characters, and reach a conclusion. This is a quality that is definitely positive, though I myself am biased toward longer works, so pay my opinions on that matter little heed.

I think my only other problems with this is that the setting was unclear the entire time. Even as the personality and history of the character known as Mrs. Hailey became more detailed, the setting did not.

For all I knew, this was a bedroom in someone's home. It was only at the very end, where there was a line saying 'Giving the device beside her bed a glance, I wondered how she could bare to live in this noisy room. I suppose sleep was indeed a luxury.' that I realized this was probably not taking place in a bedroom. At least, not a normal one. The line 'The beeping noise from the device became continuous.' clued in that this was a hospital room, but there are some problems with that line itself, mostly because the beeping was not mentioned even once prior, and so this vague description of a mysterious device was a huge surprise to me.

Granted, take all of that with a grain of salt, as I realize that leaving the setting a mystery as well could be an intentional part of this work, in order to deepen the intrigue of the readers, and I'm probably just spoiled, since most of the descriptions in stories I normally read are incredibly clear-cut. Sometimes, they're even absurdly descriptive, to the point of being annoying.

I don't want to rate anything with numbers, since each person's experience reading this will be different based on their own experiences/emotions/etc., so I'll give it a more 'enigmatic' rating: Obscuring yet enlightening.

What I want you to take away from this, however, is that I enjoyed your work immensely. Enough so to write this ludicrously long review, considering the length of this story.

I'll leave you a joke telling you how 'brief' my review is, in response to your reply in my thread in IB.
Yanker I read hentai for plot
I'm going to say the first 3/4 was rather drawn out and tedious to read (possibly because I prefer more concise, to-the-point light novellish style stuff). I thought it was gonna be some sex scene at first, but I quickly realized it was something completely different.

HOWEVER

Once I reached the end and I realized she was talking to her dying mother in hospital, I realized it was a pretty sick twist. That was sort of a slap to the face since I wasn't really giving it my full attention at first... and now I realize I should go over it again and actually focus on it to pick up the hints.

Nice.
Masayoshi wrote...
I could just be because there were a lot more questions than answers, but I couldn't seem to get emotionally invested in either of the characters. It could just be that I'm used to more gradual character development, because though I didn't understand much at first, most of my questions were answered later on.

I can relate to what you're saying. It's very hard to get emotionally invested in some characters appearing in a short story. Development is a very long process and it's borderline impossible to outline all of it without actually detailing them in a long scene. Suffice it to say, given the word limitations of this contest I couldn't take a broader approach with my tale. Incidentally, my piece is about 2000 words including title itself.

I had a prior objective of ending around 1500 words. You can imagine how hard the failure at my succinct attempt was.

Masayoshi wrote...
I myself am biased toward longer works, so pay my opinions on that matter little heed.

I wouldn't be a writer if I didn't listen to the opinions of my readers.

Masayoshi wrote...
I think my only other problems with this is that the setting was unclear the entire time. Even as the personality and history of the character known as Mrs. Hailey became more detailed, the setting did not.

For all I knew, this was a bedroom in someone's home. It was only at the very end, where there was a line saying 'Giving the device beside her bed a glance, I wondered how she could bare to live in this noisy room. I suppose sleep was indeed a luxury.' that I realized this was probably not taking place in a bedroom. At least, not a normal one. The line 'The beeping noise from the device became continuous.' clued in that this was a hospital room, but there are some problems with that line itself, mostly because the beeping was not mentioned even once prior, and so this vague description of a mysterious device was a huge surprise to me.

Granted, take all of that with a grain of salt, as I realize that leaving the setting a mystery as well could be an intentional part of this work, in order to deepen the intrigue of the readers, and I'm probably just spoiled, since most of the descriptions in stories I normally read are incredibly clear-cut. Sometimes, they're even absurdly descriptive, to the point of being annoying.

Yeah, the way I kept the setting unclear in the beginning was my very intention as you have guessed. I like to think people finding their answers is a virtue of a kind. I know there are writers out there who loves to provide you open details about their world. I have done so before too, but for pieces like these I want the readers to use their brains for once.

Evidently, your thought process progressed exactly as I thought an average reader's would.

Thus there was no mention of any devices or noises. After you see the mention of the device, you'd realize that Lucy was internally laughing at Mrs. Hailey in the beginning because she was hospitalized due to straining her body far too much. This was just her being salty, of course. As one would guess, she didn't assume her condition was in any way serious, because how could someone so awesome die so soon?

The last one was a hint I didn't expect many to figure. The reason why Lucy didn't even doubt her mother's possibility of death was because Mrs. Hailey was around the 30s. Meanwhile, her mother probably knew about her body more than anyone else.

Masayoshi wrote...
I don't want to rate anything with numbers, since each person's experience reading this will be different based on their own experiences/emotions/etc., so I'll give it a more 'enigmatic' rating: Obscuring yet enlightening.

What I want you to take away from this, however, is that I enjoyed your work immensely. Enough so to write this ludicrously long review, considering the length of this story.

I'll leave you a joke telling you how 'brief' my review is, in response to your reply in my thread in IB.

Thanks! I didn't expect asking would actually get you to read considering how busy you appear to be.

If you like long stories with descriptions and one where character development is a thing, try out my RP. As you'd realize while reading how long it is, we've had more than enough time to work with developments in many ways. Albeit, first few pages are littered with old codings and there may have been some typos. I can't even edit old posts so it can't be helped... but if you do find the courage to try reading that I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I do like long review posts though so I really appreciate it. Thank you once again.
Cinia Pacifica wrote...
Spoiler:
Masayoshi wrote...

I can relate to what you're saying. It's very hard to get emotionally invested in some characters appearing in a short story. Development is a very long process and it's borderline impossible to outline all of it without actually detailing them in a long scene. Suffice it to say, given the word limitations of this contest I couldn't take a broader approach with my tale. Incidentally, my piece is about 2000 words including title itself.

I had a prior objective of ending around 1500 words. You can imagine how hard the failure at my succinct attempt was.

Masayoshi wrote...
I myself am biased toward longer works, so pay my opinions on that matter little heed.

Masayoshi wrote...

Yeah, the way I kept the setting unclear in the beginning was my very intention as you have guessed. I like to think people finding their answers is a virtue of a kind. I know there are writers out there who loves to provide you open details about their world. I have done so before too, but for pieces like these I want the readers to use their brains for once.

Evidently, your thought process progressed exactly as I thought an average reader's would.

Thus there was no mention of any devices or noises. After you see the mention of the device, you'd realize that Lucy was internally laughing at Mrs. Hailey in the beginning because she was hospitalized due to straining her body far too much. This was just her being salty, of course. As one would guess, she didn't assume her condition was in any way serious, because how could someone so awesome die so soon?

The last one was a hint I didn't expect many to figure. The reason why Lucy didn't even doubt her mother's possibility of death was because Mrs. Hailey was around the 30s. Meanwhile, her mother probably knew about her body more than anyone else.

Masayoshi wrote...

Thanks! I didn't expect asking would actually get you to read considering how busy you appear to be.

If you like long stories with descriptions and one where character development is a thing, try out my RP. As you'd realize while reading how long it is, we've had more than enough time to work with developments in many ways. Albeit, first few pages are littered with old codings and there may have been some typos. I can't even edit old posts so it can't be helped... but if you do find the courage to try reading that I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I do like long review posts though so I really appreciate it. Thank you once again.

Ah, I should note that while I understood at the end that he mother was dead and the most of the rest of their interactions then made sense, at the beginning, I was under the assumption that she held some sort of grudge, and even at the end, I thought that grudge was related to her mother's abandonment of her, in order for her mother to pursue her career as an actress.

I had no idea that was actually Lucy being in disbelief about the seriousness of her mother's condition, and that would actually change my perspective slightly. In that case, I actually kind of understand. I could have probably connected to Lucy at least, if I came into my first time reading your story under that impression. Alas, I somehow ended up at a completely irrelevant assumption, or at least one that wasn't the highlight of their circumstances.

Also, I really should get my priorities straight.

Jokes aside, that link is to my submission. I had to slap it out in a hurry right after reviewing your and Yanker's submissions, since this is my last chance to write something until, probably, the end of spring.
Yanker wrote...
I'm going to say the first 3/4 was rather drawn out and tedious to read (possibly because I prefer more concise, to-the-point light novellish style stuff). I thought it was gonna be some sex scene at first, but I quickly realized it was something completely different.

HOWEVER

Once I reached the end and I realized she was talking to her dying mother in hospital, I realized it was a pretty sick twist. That was sort of a slap to the face since I wasn't really giving it my full attention at first... and now I realize I should go over it again and actually focus on it to pick up the hints.

Nice.

I read LNs too, but I am surprised that you'd prefer even more concise lines. In fact, I was worried that my entry would be more comparable to a bunch of tiny paragraphs like you see in LNs.

Alright, my ears are open if you have new opinions after re-reading. Glad that the twist twisted in good favor, though. Lol.

Thanks for reading.

Masayoshi wrote...
Cinia Pacifica wrote...
Spoiler:
Masayoshi wrote...

Masayoshi wrote...

Masayoshi wrote...

Masayoshi wrote...

I was under the assumption that she held some sort of grudge, and even at the end, I thought that grudge was related to her mother's abandonment of her, in order for her mother to pursue her career as an actress.

I had no idea that was actually Lucy being in disbelief about the seriousness of her mother's condition, and that would actually change my perspective slightly. In that case, I actually kind of understand. I could have probably connected to Lucy at least, if I came into my first time reading your story under that impression. Alas, I somehow ended up at a completely irrelevant assumption, or at least one that wasn't the highlight of their circumstances.

Also, I really should get my priorities straight.

Jokes aside, that link is to my submission. I had to slap it out in a hurry right after reviewing your and Yanker's submissions, since this is my last chance to write something until, probably, the end of spring.

No, the grudge really was related to her mother's abandonment. This was clearly outlined in the piece when Mrs. Hailey was identified as her mother. She basically loved and hated her mother at the same time.

If I had to give you an analogy, think of a coin; one side is hate, and the other side is love.

I ran through some tough psychological ideas, but basically, she did hated her mother, but when she gained hope after experiencing the warmth of her mother; it was too irresistible to continue to hate her. Instead, she started to truly seek her company. She wanted to live like ordinary family with Mrs. Hailey.

If you want a less complex explanation, just compare Lucy to an ordinary tsundere character. The base idea of the personality is very similar so it'd cut away some confusion. Do note that I didn't mean to create a tsundere. I mean, I did, but with how much depth I always attempt to add with my characters, they're always different from your typical Japanese archetypes.

I'll give your entry a read soon. Since I'm assuming that's why you linked it, lel.
Cinia Pacifica wrote...
No, the grudge really was related to her mother's abandonment. This was clearly outlined in the piece when Mrs. Hailey was identified as her mother. She basically loved and hated her mother at the same time.

If I had to give you an analogy, think of a coin; one side is hate, and the other side is love.

I ran through some tough psychological ideas, but basically, she did hated her mother, but when she gained hope after experiencing the warmth of her mother; it was too irresistible to continue to hate her. Instead, she started to truly seek her company. She wanted to live like ordinary family with Mrs. Hailey.

If you want a less complex explanation, just compare Lucy to an ordinary tsundere character. The base idea of the personality is very similar so it'd cut away some confusion. Do note that I didn't mean to create a tsundere. I mean, I did, but with how much depth I always attempt to add with my characters, they're always different from your typical Japanese archetypes.

I'll give your entry a read soon. Since I'm assuming that's why you linked it, lel.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. It makes sense now.

Also, yeah, I would appreciate some feedback on the story, though don't get your expectations up - it's far outside of my comfort zone as a writer.

Sorry to bother you with all this, and thanks for taking the time to respond to me each time ^_^. I'm heading to bed now since I have work this morning, it's like 5:22 AM here, and I wasn't even paying attention to the time. I'm gonna have it rough today lol.
hmmm...i thought it'd be a narrative just like d's entry, but it somehow becomes like a light novel with the dialogues and stuff. aside from the vocabularies and stuff in which i just guess since i was too lazy to google the urban dictionary, i do feel like this had quite the development. well, it was pretty satisfying so to speak.

kinda felt some yuri incest with age gaps from it though, like the loli was looking at the elderly woman in a sexual tone. it reminds me of the works by Mira. but yeah, it's just me.

nice job :D
Yanker I read hentai for plot
Cinia Pacifica wrote...

I read LNs too, but I am surprised that you'd prefer even more concise lines. In fact, I was worried that my entry would be more comparable to a bunch of tiny paragraphs like you see in LNs.

Alright, my ears are open if you have new opinions after re-reading. Glad that the twist twisted in good favor, though. Lol.

Thanks for reading.

Okay, here's my revisited opinion upon the second read through, in which I actively looked for the 'flaw' that made it hard to get through the first time. From the previous replies, it seems like I'm not the only one who found this problem.

Firstly, the piece is mostly dialogue. The problem lies somewhere in the dialogue, at least from my opinion. The topic(s) aren't the problem, they're interesting and thought-provoking enough.

When I was talking about being concise, I didn't mean making the actual lines concise, I meant the dialogue as a whole. It doesn't feel like how people talk in real life, unless they're posh English gentlemen or something. I'm going to try and give examples of this.

"Good evening. Please pardon my rudeness. I had been feeling... a little tired recently."

For this example, something like "I've been feeling... a little tired recently" sounds a lot more natural.

"No need to remark about it so brazenly"

Something like this sort of just feels clunky - when you read it, you automatically slow down and it disrupts the pace. I can't really imagine anyone saying something like this.

“I do not mean to be rude, but I honestly do not have anything to say.”

Same thing, not many people use 'do not' in favour of 'don't', unless they were trained to do so that way. At first, I thought you intended both people to be very posh/upper-class, in which this would make sense, however upon further reading there are inconsistencies with both speech and monologuing. Sometimes they contract their don'ts, other times they use do not.

Most of the time if you use expanded versions of these words, it makes the whole thing seem so much more longer and verbose than it actually is, since it takes more time to read each word. That's why it felt long and drawn out to me at first, even though upon second readthrough I realized it was actually quite concise in terms of the content in the speech.

I also feel like maybe there was TOO much dialogue. You could have controlled the pacing better by mixing things up a bit, adding a few monologues/exposition dumps/descriptions between talking. At the moment, reading through it gives off a sort of 'ping pong', back and forth feeling. It's hard to explain, so I'll try and make up an example.

A: How are you?
B: Good. You?
What kind of a conversation is this?
A: Not bad. Lovely weather we're having?
B: Aye. Shame it's not going to last.
A: What do you mean by that?
B: There's going to be thunderstorms tonight, I hear.
Again?
A: Oh no... guess I'd better finish up the washing then.
B: Yeah... heard it's going to be raining for the next three days too.
Three days??
A: No way! Bloody weather!
B: Yeah. Chalk it up to climate change.
A: Back in my day a snowball had a good chance in hell.
This guy talks like he's a grandpa... even though I'm older than him.
B: You're Christian?
A: Why yes, I thought you knew.
B: etc etc

As you can see, it gets tiring very quickly. Now imagine I removed every single contraction in that snippet - I'd = I had, it's = it is, You're = you are...

But if I added in expanded exposition, for example a paragraph on my thoughts on why climate change is happening, and maybe some thoughts of concern for the washing, the pacing could get so much better (of course it doesn't change the fact my example dialogue is boring and doesn't contribute to any sense of progression).

Anyway... long post, feel free to disagree on anything I said, but this is just the reason why I wasn't as engaged in the first read-through of your piece. Also, there a few grammar/punctuation mistakes but nothing too big.

Second readthrough it made a lot more sense and I was able to enjoy it much more.
Yanker wrote...
When I was talking about being concise, I didn't mean making the actual lines concise, I meant the dialogue as a whole. It doesn't feel like how people talk in real life, unless they're posh English gentlemen or something. I'm going to try and give examples of this.

"Good evening. Please pardon my rudeness. I had been feeling... a little tired recently."

For this example, something like "I've been feeling... a little tired recently" sounds a lot more natural.

"No need to remark about it so brazenly."

Something like this sort of just feels clunky - when you read it, you automatically slow down and it disrupts the pace. I can't really imagine anyone saying something like this.

Except for very well-educated people. It was hinted that her dad was rich. You find out the mom is very knowledgeable too.

It may disrupt your flow but to me they appeared natural. It is in itself a hint of how she was raised and was given strong education. I don't view this as a problem. I'm not writing solely to make it a really lax-attitude easy read. I understand your point about how people usually talk, but these aren't your average people. They can act average, but they don't always have to.

That isn't entirely the case, however. The idea wasn't to make them completely upper-class. Which I will elaborate below.

Yanker wrote...
“I do not mean to be rude, but I honestly do not have anything to say.”

Same thing, not many people use 'do not' in favour of 'don't', unless they were trained to do so that way. At first, I thought you intended both people to be very posh/upper-class, in which this would make sense, however upon further reading there are inconsistencies with both speech and monologuing. Sometimes they contract their don'ts, other times they use do not.

Most of the time if you use expanded versions of these words, it makes the whole thing seem so much more longer and verbose than it actually is, since it takes more time to read each word. That's why it felt long and drawn out to me at first, even though upon second readthrough I realized it was actually quite concise in terms of the content in the speech.

Yes. The expanded-words issue is a problem I admit exists there at the moment, and I will probably edit this again to be more consistent. However, continuing from my earlier point, the idea wasn't to make them appear completely upper-class material. The way I wanted to flesh out the characters with their heavy use of vocabulary--and sometimes with not-so-difficult-vocabulary--is that they were actresses, so they were always mingling with the more average people.

When you talk to these average people all the time, you'll be influenced by them one way or the other, to the point it affects speech to an extent.

Yanker wrote...
I also feel like maybe there was TOO much dialogue. You could have controlled the pacing better by mixing things up a bit, adding a few monologues/exposition dumps/descriptions between talking. At the moment, reading through it gives off a sort of 'ping pong', back and forth feeling. It's hard to explain, so I'll try and make up an example.

[snip]

As you can see, it gets tiring very quickly. Now imagine I removed every single contraction in that snippet - I'd = I had, it's = it is, You're = you are...

But if I added in expanded exposition, for example a paragraph on my thoughts on why climate change is happening, and maybe some thoughts of concern for the washing, the pacing could get so much better (of course it doesn't change the fact my example dialogue is boring and doesn't contribute to any sense of progression).

Anyway... long post, feel free to disagree on anything I said, but this is just the reason why I wasn't as engaged in the first read-through of your piece.

Yes, once again, I have noted the expansion issue, but everything else feels very opinion zoned to the point would it'd vary between readers' preferences. I care about opinions, but not to an extremely deep degree. To me, at least, the pacing was fine, because otherwise bringing a twist too early is just plain boring. I just have my own sense of flow perhaps. I could've made it shorter but I'd never be satisfied with making dialogues any more plainer. I could make it even smoother, but it'd be really too much effort now, I guess.

But that "too much dialogue" comment... do you want me to make this a story with more narratives than dialogue or something? It' not like I can't do one, but that's clearly not how it was meant to be. Is it so hard to understand that it's just not a narrative-reliant story?

I mean, what's too much, and what's too little? They were having a conversation, and an important one at that. If I outright removed some of these dialogues I'd feel like this story is incomplete without them. The amount of dialogues wouldn't go down if I did choose to make them more concise as you noted. In my opinion, this couldn't have been shorter than that. No. It could be longer, however.

Regardless, thank you for reading again and providing your opinions. You probably found the most issues with my piece so far.

high_time wrote...
hmmm...i thought it'd be a narrative just like d's entry, but it somehow becomes like a light novel with the dialogues and stuff. aside from the vocabularies and stuff in which i just guess since i was too lazy to google the urban dictionary, i do feel like this had quite the development. well, it was pretty satisfying so to speak.

kinda felt some yuri incest with age gaps from it though, like the loli was looking at the elderly woman in a sexual tone. it reminds me of the works by Mira. but yeah, it's just me.

nice job :D

Thank you for reading... but really, High?

First and foremost, you're a judge now, and not a casual reader. You should be looking up every single words you don't understand, and should attempt to understand the depth of an entry. Any entry. It's your job, and you took it up. I took the time to write this so that you would read and judge my piece so I'd damn well expect you to respond in turn appropriately.

I honestly thought Leonard was joking with his warning about vocabulary. I am deeply disappointed.

Not that it'd change anything now that you read through it, though. Most words you type in on Google literally gives you the definition right away, especially if they are the tricky ones that you may not know... ugh, whatever, I won't bother more. I doubt anyone else will find this to be an issue as much as I do.

Lastly, I still don't like the way you draw sexualized plots like that with my characters.
eyy, just take it easy. it's just my first impression about it.

i do judge my stories in point of a casual reader i do read just for fun. i by far also not quite specialized in literature unlike xenon and leonard. being critical and analytic is not my style either.

sorry to left you disappointed, but the best i can do is just give my honest opinions about what i've read. i cannot change my approach because that's just the way that works best with me.

anyhow, in case you take offense to the sexual thing, Mira is one of my favorite doujin authors and is also known for her profound story. i was referring to it more as a compliment tho.
high_time wrote...
eyy, just take it easy. it's just my first impression about it.

i do judge my stories in point of a casual reader i do read just for fun. i by far also not quite specialized in literature unlike xenon and leonard. being critical and analytic is not my style either.

sorry to left you disappointed, but the best i can do is just give my honest opinions about what i've read. i cannot change my approach because that's just the way that works best with me.

anyhow, in case you take offense to the sexual thing, Mira is one of my favorite doujin authors and is also known for her profound story. i was referring to it more as a compliment tho.

Again, you can look up words. It's not rocket science, and everyone can use Google if they can use the internet. You're the judge and you're supposed to be trying to understand the entry as much as possible.

It's not about your approach or how you like to do things. I just want you to actually read it instead of avoiding half the words you don't like or can't understand.

I like to view the relationship of a mother and daughter as something pure. Not yuri, or sexual. I'm sorry if you were turned off by me not appreciating that compliment, but it just felt wrong to me.
Pages 12Next