[Winter Contest Entry 2015] The Juvenile Ramblings

Pages Prev12
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
This is exactly why I do my writing on the floor.
(sorry for getting off topic, Ezlare!)

But I'm not covered to go see a chiropractor every week.
(I'm sorry, too, Ezlare!)
Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
This is exactly why I do my writing on the floor.
(sorry for getting off topic, Ezlare!)

But I'm not covered to go see a chiropractor every week.
(I'm sorry, too, Ezlare!)

Lol, you guys are good. I meant to log in and see how the contest was doing but couldn't find the time.

Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
Nothing more to do than outrageously flip the desk he is using to write on because he clearly isn't listening. I go full Hulk considering that he has a lot of thing on his desk. Pens, scissors and shards of glass flying around, pinning that dick into the wall. Now that's what I mean by "skewed mindset". I take my leave.

This. This right here, made me laugh harder than I should've.
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
Sorry for taking so long to post a comment of your entry. I was busy with work. I can reveal to you that I ranked your entry to be the top three. However, the other judges didn't agree with me.

Allow to explain in detail why I thought so, beginning with the three criteria that I used to judge the entries:

1. Must be readable:

If you want me to criticise your entry, I would say that I didn't understand the first three lines of the entry. I was confused by keywords like "charade"; I didn't know how the protagonist transitioned from his dormitory to the counsellor's house. It felt jarring to me and I found it unnecessary. I would have preferred the story opening straight at the counsellor's house with some monologue about how he would rather be staying at his dormitory. (You might be familiar with my tastes in reading and presentation. I can imagine another judge or reader not seeing this as a problem.)

That is a small issue though. The bulk of entry, which was really centred around the protagonist's thoughts, I quite enjoyed. I understood clearly what the protagonist is thinking and as much as I hate plot being described by dialogue, I didn't mind it in this instance. I'd like to think it is because they were phrased as a question and answer. I knew fully the context.

This entry appealed to me because I found it easy to go through it. The fact that was short and straight to the point made it all the better.

2. Must be funny:

The humour used in this story fits my tastes. (Though I think it didn't appeal to the two other judges) That was why I placed it in the top three. You might have noticed that I like monologues centred around grumbling and complaining. I also love references to real life and would dearly like to peek into the thoughts of real people. This entry reflected that somewhat.

However since it wasn't really a deliberate attempt to make people laugh and it wasn't as witty as the other entry about cannibal rats, I ranked it as the third best. However, I found this entry to be one of the few that I found funny and entertaining. It is a shame that the judges didn't agree with me.

3. Must be written in leonard267's style:

This is the least important of the judging criteria.

It slightly resembles what I write with great emphasis placed on explaining the thoughts of the protagonist. I might have ranked your entry higher if it devoted more words to digressing about how counsellors are in reality, unproductive people as evidenced with how he is failing in counselling the protagonist and delve in the realm of the silly like thinking of taking a dump while the counsellor is talking. (You actually did that, but it is in dialogue with swear words, things that this reader minds quite a lot.)

Don't worry about not meeting that criteria of writing like me though. It is nothing to be proud about.

Overall, I enjoyed your entry. I minded the presentation a little but that cannot ruin me appreciating the anger of the protagonist. The last line of the entry is the icing on the cake!

One question: What is an IEP?
leonard267 wrote...

Overall, I enjoyed your entry. I minded the presentation a little but that cannot ruin me appreciating the anger of the protagonist. The last line of the entry is the icing on the cake!

One question: What is an IEP?

Hey, thanks for that. It does give me a little hope knowing that someone liked it a bit more than expected.

To put it bluntly; an IEP is a file that tracks you based on your disability, and unsurprisingly, it follows you for the rest of your life through school and probably work. It also determines if you need "extra help" on some subjects or not.
Pages Prev12