[Winter Contest Entry 2015] The Verdict and The Chase

Pages 12Next
Warning: this story deals with religions, mostly Christianity, some Islam and some Buddhism, and politics of all sorts. If you feel offended by these topics, please don't read on.

It is a story written in the present but tell the future, treat it as kind of a fortune telling.

Spoiler:
As with my other contest entry, I'll provide a theme song. This time will be a playlist of absurd electronic, hip-hop, pop music video (that I listen to writing this story) for the equally absurd story. I'm usually a metal head.

1. Titanium (David Guetta ft. Sia)

2. Don't Look Down (Martin Garrix ft. Usher)

3. Club Can't Handle Me (Flo Rida ft. David Guetta)

4. International Love (Pitbull ft. Chris Brown)

5. Disturbia (Rihanna)

The Verdict and The Chase

It is the year of progress. It is 20XX, just like in those human-wannabe-laser-shooting-double-jumping-hyper-dashing-wall-grabbing-armor-equipping-weapons-robbing-robots-that-were-made-by-an-actual-human-who-fight-another-human-in-pursuit-of-co-existence-between-them games you used to play in your youth (those were the bombs. Haha, get it? †˜Bomb’. Hahahahaha). Humans utilize technologies to enrich their lives, bringing peace between themselves and with robots. Humans and aliens befriend each other, like those guys who fly around in big spaceships and make space-peace, space-diplomatic and space-interracial-love (that stuff is nastier than homosexuality). Humans have finally reached transcendence, by taking pills (hahaha, doing drugs, hahaha), uploading their brains onto supercomputers or making up intelligences (that’s nature’s job), much like every movies ever that star the-old-black-dude-with-the-awesome-voice (all †˜unequal’ African-Americans should grow a pair of vocal cords. All animals are equal, after all). This seems the future, doesn’t it?

Hahahahaha. Guess again. Unlike equal animals, whose sole job is eating vegetables or meat, or a little of both, or a lot of both and other sole job is walking/running/being dragged to the slaughterhouses (why they make a incriminating word a part of another perfectly lawful word, I don’t understand) or crosshairs, humans are a violent species. Examples include everything in history books, children books or adult-oriented books (use videos, they have sounds, movements, cost money and most of the time are free). Some prime examples include 1914-1918 World War I, 1938-1945 World War II, 1789-1799 French Revolution, 1640–1660 English Revolution, the July 4th, 1776 American Declaration of Independence followed by the 1775–1783 American Revolutionary War and the following years of Americans and British-living-in-America celebrating the day by launching firecrackers, much like how they started the war (I still don’t know how the name of a continent, name of a guy actually, became the name of a nation), 1853-1856 Crimean War (personal favorite †˜holy war’, apart from the real †˜holy war’ involving transgender and bondage theme), 9/11, 2003-2011 Iraq War, ISIS and their 2015 French Bombing (which everybody cares), 2015 France bombing ISIS at Raqqa, Syria (which nobody cares), ISIS destroying thousands-years-old Islamic relics and temples (which nobody cares, but nobody likes Islam) and thousands of innocent Islamic people died (which nobody cares), 1948 WHO formation (ever heard of Pharma Bro?), 1945 UNESCO formation (arguably ISIS would not have destroyed those relics and temples if UNESCO hasn’t deemed them †˜valuables’), 1923 Interpol formation (I still see crimes on the news), 1945 United Nations establishment (humans haven’t stopped making wars), mechanical, electrical, detonation, transportation inventions, discovery of oil, technology and arm races between nations (the US and Soviet Union Cold War), display of military prowess, weapons of mass destruction of Democratic People's Republic of Korea (Northern, unpopular Korea for short) in 2009-2013 (great haircut, by the way). I can go on (I have) but you get the idea. Violence resides within humans’ inners. Scientific advancements were not for the sake of advancement.

Take this simple man as our main character in this story. 60-something. A gray tee, black underwear, blue jeans and boots. Dark hair and nothing of particular interest on his face. By †˜nothing’ I mean he still has all of his normal facial features, not that he’s some kind of Faceless spiritual creature. He stops at a diner to grab lunch. He’s just the kind of everyman with a wage you meet any day. Except that he used to be the captain of the G.G.Entourage, that big spaceship which humans use to explore the Vast Unknown, Great Dark, Worlds Untouched or †˜outer space’, for the unpoetic sorts. He’s traveled across galaxies. Now he’s returned to Earth, a wretched place, by comparison. All alone. On the entire planet. Deserted. By himself. Without anyone else. No noble soul to offer a helping hand. No fetching wench to be had either. It’s recently come to my attention that †˜past’ humans thought that in the †˜future’, which is †˜now’, humans would collaborate and come to peace with alien species, envisioned in a Galactic Senate. It is a scenario so baffling, because, as in my earlier iteration, humans can’t live together. Wishful thinking, it was. It would be much more becoming if they’d thought up The Galactic Empire with a sole ruler. So the fact is that humans finally discovered an inhabited planet, after long years of searching, met with strange looking creatures (they don’t have legs or eyes or green skins, that’s serious lack of imagination and racist). However, humans had the issue of temperament, though the same could be said for the aliens. At least both parties had the same thing in mind, the displays of firecrackers of metaphor. Since military power and technology development is one and the same, space programs were still relevant, nations had to find more advanced-minded allies. That’s right, humans were not just at wars with extraterrestrial beings, perhaps equipped with better looking weapons which results as better functioning weapons, they were at wars with themselves at the same time, with inadequate weapons aiming at each other and at other space-races. Maybe the toothbrush-mustache-man was not so wrong (he also rocked the side-swept undercut way before footballers ever did).

So our main character ventured into space, only to find when he comes back, through an escape-pod from a burning spaceship, humans (I’m sorry, nations) have flown to other planets since their floors were being wiped by the aliens (humans should have spent more money on janitors than on nukes). Although, he seems more relaxed than his island-stranded crewmates (they died off, by the way). This turn of event came about rather expectedly, anyway. After 2011-2018 Syrian Civil War, 2017-2023 Chinese Invasion (how does nobody see that coming), 2020-2025 World War III, 2032 Robot Breakout, 2033 Asia’s Merger, 2034 Asia’s Supreme Leader Assassination, 2036 World War IV, 2040 African Revolutionized Mechanibot revelation (completed with diamond finishes, too, fancy), 2050 Announcement of Biologically Mutated Humans, 2057 Angry Asia’s 100th Missile Test Drive, 2062 World War XII and 2080 Worlds War I, it seemed evident that humans were digging their own graves (tree-hugging hippies did have a point). It’s a marvelous feat, how they were able to squeeze eight World Wars into a mere twenty-six years period, even after considering Americans rebuilding New York City fairly shortly after wreckage upon wreckage and Chinese people building a skyscraper in nineteen days (and we know all about Chinese products). So humans left for other †˜unclaimed’ territories, like how they did in the early 17th - early 20th century. Some planets had not yet developed space weaponry, a situation that humans welcomed. Our captain began returning to Earth after his missions. He’s back to Earth, with little to himself, other than his faith in God.

How I admire faith. It is the very embodiment of humans’ nature. Humans fear the unknown and desperation, and spiritual symbols of themselves give them believes in hope. It drives and gives them justification to their life choices (it certainly did to a certain footballer). Religion and science complement each other, even if they don’t seem so. Humans are guided by spirit and mind, seen and unseen force, things religion can’t imbue in believes and things science can’t explain in experiments. Both strive for enlightment. And humans certainly need faith if they want any hope surviving the upcoming 2082-2088 Worlds War II, 2087-2090 Kiman Threats, 2100 New Century Destruction, 2103-2206 Intergalactic Conflicts, 2208 Universal Peace Treaty, 2645 Recession of the Caskvyer Systems and the following Rebellion Outburst (people rebel when they are poor, it’s basic history), 2778 Re-establishment of the Republic, the 3000 New Millennium Celebrative Re-enactment of Wars and more to come, surely. It’s not wild predictions, but real events. Because I’m writing this to you as God, mortal. It makes so much sense now how I know what color is the main character’s underwear.

It also makes sense that I know all about this realm and its five dimensions. I called myself Joejile, by the way. It’s very rude of mortals to call me names, like God, Jesus, Christ, Lord, Savior, and tons of others in reimagined, reincarnated or recreated versions. Mortals follow a collection of books called †˜The Bibles’, with just as many versions, said to have been passed down to instruct my teachings for humans. It’s strange, though, because in these writings, higher-up beings did not seem to like mortals that much (it’s true) and they were a bunch of nature-lovers (as in natural ways of things, like sexual preference or apples should remain uneaten, not like marijuana-smoking nature-love). Some even confuse me for whips-carrying women dressed in latex and dubbed them †˜goddesses’. Frightening, really. My Asian incarnations don’t usually dress properly or have thousands freakish mini-hands, which all have an eye to boost and most of the time have to be a vegan, nice way to worship your deity. New religions argue that I’m a robot. Why can’t I be a laid-back guy, eat whatever I fancy, black-colored (last time I check most people from Jerusalem are black) and into heavy metal music? Humans have to stereotype me into a last-millennium look and spread false things that †˜I said’. Then they blame me for their misfortunes. There are exceptions, of course, because every new era of kids needs to prove themselves better than the last, so they call the new hip †˜atheism’. It just so happened that I puppeteered these wars, and the atheists are blaming themselves, very nice of them. Call it a petty revenge against humans calling me names, plus it gets boring without things blowing up every now and then.

Enough about myself, back to the main character. He ate three burgers. Now he heads for the library. Can’t go the mall alone. Interesting how this small Asian town appears largely untouched by the aliens, who seem only interested in big cities in America. He picks a book. †˜Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea’. How tasteful. An adventure spirit, a descriptively omnipresent sense of danger and the marvels of underwater cities and submarines. Advanced and aerodynamically cool-looking spaceships can’t have the charm of a classic. Just like a classic Aston Martin (maybe a few more hundred years, spaceships will have their own †˜classical looks’). After visiting the library, he goes to a church and prays before heading back home. He reads news on the Portalnet. “Humans Won Selva Colonies”, when was the last time the press written about their defeat anyway? Takes a shower, then he chats with his several groups of friends on other planets. What, did you think humans are not capable of keeping in touch through the light-years? They already developed a way to communicate through wormholes in 2014. He chose not to be †˜rescued’, not that his civilian friends have access to spaceships nor the Intergovernment cares much for one person. Such is his daily interplanetary routine.

Is this a happy ending to weird fairy tales? I suppose it is, most authentic †˜fairy tales’, or folklores, don’t have much of even a bearable, not stomach-churning, ending. He seems to have a normal, educated and unbothered life, which is happier than getting married. He has the Net for his primitive needs and all bare necessities. Not everyone can have all they want. Some does. Like myself. I make most people †˜work’ for it. Few who achieve success pass the torches to unlikely successors, turning it into lawsuits that enlarge nothing but the lawyers’ and judges’ bank accounts and creditability. Then it downgrades to repeating circles of hardwork-and-layback. This is irritating, at the very least, for a creator, such as myself. Humans take too much pride in their intelligence and self-importance that they will stray from my designs. Such is the punishment for one species so insolent, always sinning. Yet people can be content, like this man, no desire for greater knowledge. Ignorance is bliss, so they say, and most agree. Except for a few souls, who will like to check out this ancient †˜link’ for all of the references of your world that I made as a courtesy to simplify an otherwise godly, wholly incomprehensible piece of writing.

Author’s Notes:

Word Count: 2000 words excluding the title. It seems I turn in a 2000-words entry every year.

Spoiler:
About Me: Hi, everybody, I did not want to make this an easy one for our fellow writer/competitor, so here I am, submitting this †˜story’ of mine. What’s a long time contestant if I were not to turn up this year as well. This is my fifth consecutive year already. I can’t believe I can prevail for so long. Kind of an achievement by itself already, because despite my hard-working-ness, I haven’t won once. But I come back to (hopefully) make a difference every year.

About the Story: I would not call this a proper †˜story’, more like psychopathic ranting. It has everything to do with the theme, really. It’s hard to try to write a comedy with a straight face. I blame the theme. To be honest, I would not say I’m a loyal fan of leonard’s, our fair judge, usual style of approach for a story, some to hate and some to love, but geniuses are easily misunderstood. I have been exposed to do comedic writings times before, almost always write my class assignments in a sort of joking-ness (not that I’m not serious about the assignments, but it’s a wonder why they didn’t kick me out), and I have my different way of writing it (you can checkthis piece I post some time earlier this year). Having said that, I think this particular entry have more of the leonard’s tongue, sort of, I guess. I had a hard time coming up with an idea for the story, too. Having two themes, but it was almost a no-brainer to choose the †˜comedy’.

You can tell after reading the story, is that I dealt with very highly sensitive subjects, with a somewhat distorted view. This is definitely not my kind of usual choice of more light-hearted things. A large amount (I would say the majority) of ideas presented in the piece is not my own subjective ideas, it is rather written for the sake’s of the contest only. I also reference a heck numbers of things that I did not count how many. It just comes naturally as appropriate as I was writing the story, presumably with the mindset of doing so. I don’t think I wrote two lines without referencing something. The subjects are whatever popped up during that line, be it history, sport, movie or whatever (but I wish I can deal with some science subjects here). I want to clarify some things below:

• 1. Despite clear reference to the Star Trek franchise, I’m not really a fan of it. It just seems easier to do a parody of it. Look for some Star Wars reference inside this piece though (love the new SW movie btw)

• 2. Presenting yourself as an ego-maniac is a big no-no in literature, but it is exactly what I did here. I want the narrator to be really full of himself and shows off a lot of his knowledge about everything. Some things I know profoundly, some just the scratch on the surfaces, so it can represent ignorance (which was also one thing I was going for with the narrator). You can point them out in the comment, and we can have a discussion about it.

• 3. On the note of referencing, I know most of the story are pieces of personal knowledge, but if you are unsure of what something means, I’m happy to clarify. Some are clearly written down, some are hidden.

• 4. I’m not a devout of any religion, that is to say I’m not presenting this as a hate/encouraging speech for any religion mentioned in the story. It’s purely fictional. But I’m interested in knowing more of religion too.

• 5. Originally, the part from “Take this simple man… footballers ever did)”, the third paragraph, I wanted to write them in old English style, the romanticized style in the 1800s-1900s, not the King James English, but opted out of it in fear not meeting the words limitation. You can still read some traces of it.

As final note, wish you guys a happy holiday. I think this is the first piece I have submitted before the Dec 31st. As always, I hope I have more time to be more active on the forum (which I have never been able to), and leave your comments, as will I read your entries (if you’re a fellow competitor) and leave mine.
I'm . . . not sure where to begin. The huge length of the paragraphs, while a choice that I'm sure you intentionally made, was an obstacle for me and made this much harder for me to read than it could have been. Also, due to the ranty nature of it, in the spots where you reference something that's come up before, I had to stop and think about it because so much info had been thrown at me in-between, I couldn't remember what you were referencing.

There are some spots that I found funny and overall this came off as more lighthearted than serious, but for the most part, I'm sorry to say that the way this is written made it difficult for me to sit through. It just doesn't click with me.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
I'm . . . not sure where to begin. The huge length of the paragraphs, while a choice that I'm sure you intentionally made, was an obstacle for me and made this much harder for me to read than it could have been. Also, due to the ranty nature of it, in the spots where you reference something that's come up before, I had to stop and think about it because so much info had been thrown at me in-between, I couldn't remember what you were referencing.

There are some spots that I found funny and overall this came off as more lighthearted than serious, but for the most part, I'm sorry to say that the way this is written made it difficult for me to sit through. It just doesn't click with me.

Yeah, it doesn't click with me either. Thanks for sitting through it anyway. If I weren't the author, I would not like to be forced to read something like this myself. Not that I'm not proud of my effort, but it's definitely not something I read on a daily basis.

But "Not sure where to begin with" seems like the usual statement for the entries in the contest this year anyway. So maybe I did an ok job, maybe not.

I fear that if you're more closely associated with religion (specifically Christainity), not like me, you can find this story insulting or offensive. But anything can be offensive to someone in 2015 anyway.

I found that after many re-read of the story, it gets more serious and thought-provoking than it initially appears. I had some, I would call, 'easter egss' inside this story too. But that's maybe just me overselling my own work.
Cinia Pacifica Ojou-sama Writer
How should I say this... your work is way too spread out with all the jam-packed references. I'm not really complimenting, though. Mind you, I love to be under the rock and (don't) take pride in not knowing. So you could say that I read through it for the sake of it. Not all the sentences are overly clear to read, and I can see why D found this entry dense. Albeit, I did not find it particularly difficult to read through.

Your work with making the narrator's point very apparent for the readers about the human nature was commendable, but perhaps it was over-stated, as you may have admitted yourself. We often have conflicts among ourselves as history taught us, and it seems like people will always be repeating these mistakes for a long time to come. A vicious cycle.

I can see why'd ward potential readers away due to the possibilities of them taking offense. I mean, I am a Muslim and I read something like "nobody likes Islam" (though, the joke's on the narrator, because they "like" themselves, so "nobody" is rather invalid).

Anyway, good job with entering the contest for the fifth time.

Nice choice of music--by the by--I really enjoyed listening while reading. I like these kinds of things even if I don't actively search for them and listen to them (cons of being too weeb).
Cinia Pacifica wrote...
How should I say this... your work is way too spread out with all the jam-packed references. I'm not really complimenting, though. Mind you, I love to be under the rock and (don't) take pride in not knowing.

You most likely know this yourself, but I did deliberately make this one jam-packed with references, though I guess that doesn't sit well with most people. In retrospect, I think my mentality was 'pick one of leonard's guidelines and emphasize on it (and I know leonard loves himself some overly difficult references)'.

Not all the sentences are overly clear to read, and I can see why D found this entry dense. Albeit, I did not find it particularly difficult to read through.

I'll take as a compliment that I did not make (a lot of) grammar and punctuation mistakes.

Your work with making the narrator's point very apparent for the readers about the human nature was commendable, but perhaps it was over-stated, as you may have admitted yourself. We often have conflicts among ourselves as history taught us, and it seems like people will always be repeating these mistakes for a long time to come. A vicious cycle.

That is "The Verdict". Did you find "The Chase"?

I can see why'd ward potential readers away due to the possibilities of them taking offense. I mean, I am a Muslim and I read something like "nobody likes Islam" (though, the joke's on the narrator, because they "like" themselves, so "nobody" is rather invalid).

That was also part of the 'character'. This guy is so full of himself (I'd imagine him being a 20s-years-old adolescent 'kid'), he doesn't even know what he's talking about. He also talked about 'how great religion is', then he goes on a ramble about 'how actually is me who is important'. Sorry for the Islam part, though, had to be done.

Actually, I didn't know Islam and Muslim are the same thing?

Anyway, good job with entering the contest for the fifth time.

I'm surprised myself.

Nice choice of music--by the by--I really enjoyed listening while reading. I like these kinds of things even if I don't actively search for them and listen to them (cons of being too weeb).

Yeah, thanks. They are old hits from a few years back though, except for "Don't Look Down" which was released this year. I would have sent some newer ones, but when I was writing this story, I just happened to want to listen to some old tracks. I don't like a bunch of new DJs, anyway. But I'm surprised to hear you didn't know these songs, I mean they were pretty hip back then.

So you could say that I read through it for the sake of it.

That actually means a lot, then. Because it seems nobody would like to read these kind of things. I have yet to read any other entries beside Yanker's, but I'll get to it soon.
I don't know about the guide. I mean, I can't see myself not doing my thing for one joke post.

Wasn't "the chase" about his petty revenge and the tracings of various religions towards the end? Or was that about the average dude he brings up?

I heard the songs themselves, not their titles. So obviously I don't really make a note to get them haha.

Well, I made it to a point to read something I start till the end.
Cinia Pacifica wrote...
I don't know about the guide. I mean, I can't see myself not doing my thing for one joke post.

I can assure you that this was my entire 'thing', not because I was following leonard's guide to please him. Besides, I had my way around being comedic, like I wrote in the author's notes, if anyone ever read that.

I made a code for myself to interpret everything everyone said. That is to say, I (silently) judge all of my friends, all of people I meet with every little (stupid) things they say, even if they can't even remember. Applied 'the code' in this case, I made sure to read through leonard's guidelines thoroughly, then I find a 'thing' that I would be most comfortable with (or maybe even uncomfortable with, get out of the comfort zone, you know) and do my entry from that on. Guidelines are just that, a mean to and end, they were never my 'light in the dark'.

On this subject, a little story:

Spoiler:
I hated my grade school and high school literature teachers whenever they told me to write anything and turn it in, same goes for art and the like. They can tell you it helps more with your imagination or freedom of expression and blah, blah, blah, but I always felt like they were too godamn lazy to come up with a subject (and then provide some guidelines, then it will help with their process of grading too). I loved Science and Engineering, because they have guidelines, basis, so that you can create 'everything' from 'something' as oppose to create 'something' out of 'nothing'. I never felt limits and restrictions were limits and restrictions, I felt like they were challenges, that forced the students to think beyond the box, invent the things outside of the box, with things inside the box. That is what I think of true 'imagination' and 'creativity'.

I think leonard did the right thing here, even though he came out as 'wanting to force everyone to follow the way he write', but not everyone like to think like me.

I heard the songs themselves, not their titles. So obviously I don't really make a note to get them haha.

I needed to if I was going to be 'cool' around my friends, haha.

Well, I made it to a point to read something I start till the end.

Same, unless that thing is really, really, really bad.

Wasn't "the chase" about his petty revenge and the tracings of various religions towards the end? Or was that about the average dude he brings up?

It's about the average dude.

You know 'Bleach' the manga/anime series? In the manga, Tite Kubo (the author) always title his chapters in very obscure words that ultimately refer to the content of that chapter, and I really like that. So I try to do the same for my creations.

If you want to know more about that and what I make of this story, leave me a reply here and I'll do it tomorrow. I really should go to bed now.
Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
I made a code for myself to interpret everything everyone said. That is to say, I (silently) judge all of my friends, all of people I meet with every little (stupid) things they say, even if they can't even remember. Applied 'the code' in this case, I made sure to read through leonard's guidelines thoroughly, then I find a 'thing' that I would be most comfortable with (or maybe even uncomfortable with, get out of the comfort zone, you know) and do my entry from that on. Guidelines are just that, a mean to and end, they were never my 'light in the dark'.

On this subject, a little story:

Spoiler:
I hated my grade school and high school literature teachers whenever they told me to write anything and turn it in, same goes for art and the like. They can tell you it helps more with your imagination or freedom of expression and blah, blah, blah, but I always felt like they were too godamn lazy to come up with a subject (and then provide some guidelines, then it will help with their process of grading too). I loved Science and Engineering, because they have guidelines, basis, so that you can create 'everything' from 'something' as oppose to create 'something' out of 'nothing'. I never felt limits and restrictions were limits and restrictions, I felt like they were challenges, that forced the students to think beyond the box, invent the things outside of the box, with things inside the box. That is what I think of true 'imagination' and 'creativity'.

I think leonard did the right thing here, even though he came out as 'wanting to force everyone to follow the way he write', but not everyone like to think like me.

Woah son, talk about customized genetic coding. Well, to each their own. I don't think it's a bad thing, but I'm too lazy to delve into the deep for every little thing. That's just too nitpicky to me.

Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
It's about the average dude.

You know 'Bleach' the manga/anime series? In the manga, Tite Kubo (the author) always title his chapters in very obscure words that ultimately refer to the content of that chapter, and I really like that. So I try to do the same for my creations.

I know about it, but only watched a bit of the anime, and that was it. I see you like really obscure references.

Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
If you want to know more about that and what I make of this story, leave me a reply here and I'll do it tomorrow. I really should go to bed now.

Go on, I'm listening with the most mirthful of smiles you may imagine.
Cinia Pacifica wrote...
Woah son, talk about customized genetic coding. Well, to each their own. I don't think it's a bad thing, but I'm too lazy to delve into the deep for every little thing. That's just too nitpicky to me.

Yeah, I think it's a 'gift'. Heard I got it from my grandpa. Helps me to look at things in different perspectives, too.

Cinia Pacifica wrote...
I know about it, but only watched a bit of the anime, and that was it. I see you like really obscure references.

The series used to be good, but now it's sucking more and more. But author still keep his way of titling things. It helps with being less generic, I think.

Cinia Pacifica wrote...
Go on, I'm listening with the most mirthful of smiles you may imagine.

And I'm sure you are. If you were a publisher/editor (or one of the judges for this contest), and I were to sell you this story of mine, this will be what I say about my own work.

I'll put this inside a spoiler so the judges won't have a biased opinion of my entry (please have a biased opinion of my entry). Here goes:

Spoiler:
There are, as can be clearly seen, only two characters in this 'story'. One narrator and one incredibly average guy. The narrator normally would never pass as one of the characters, because he does not do anything that affected the story in any way, but in this particular story, he has developed himself to be an image of his own story.

The Verdict, as you have pointed out, it's the vicious cycle of human conflicts. It may as well be the verdict of gods, who give humans its punishment because of their insolence, as exactly as I wrote in the story.

But what is it that actually leading the humans to their 'Verdict'? It's 'The Chase'. Humans chasing their desires. Every wars that have happened, it was for a 'reason', from one party or the other, or both. There was always 'something to fight for', something to protect, something on the line. Actual wars didn't happen until something happened that could be passed as an excuse to initiate wars, even though tensions rose years before and their purposes were quite clear (world war I was started with an assassination). Humans harbor grand desires, but some also just lay back and gives no fucks. Just like the average dude. All of his daily routine reflects our own daily routines (eat, work, relax and chat with people on Facebook). He read news and know of the world(s) around him, maybe he does give some fucks, but he (or his friends) ultimately don't have any power to change anything. He represents the simplicity found in everybody. We have our hopes and dreams, this dude was a freaking captain of a godamn spaceship, but at the end of the day, he do all the things we do. Truly a (lame) "everyman".

Then it brings me to my third point. What desires is it that humans truly chase? "Such is the punishment for one species so insolent, always sinning." is what I wrote. In Western religions, specifically Christianity, they teach you of the "Seven Deadly Sins" of humans. They are 'Gluttony, Lust, Envy, Greed, Wrath, Sloth and Pride' and most of them were represented in different lines in my writing. Ultimately, in my belief (as said above, I'm not associated with the religion, but I know and embrace some of these principles in my own life), the core of humans is 'Pride', the best and the worst virtue. This was represented by 'the narrator' throughout the whole story. I wrote "[Gods are] spiritual symbols of [humans]" (Jesus Christ was once mortal, if I were to quote the Bible), 'God' - the narrator - was surely prideful, but in fact, it was 'humans' who were prideful, and this 'God' addressed that as well in the story. People take pride in their achievements. Everybody has their desires for the world, few has that privilege. But everything everybody does works towards one goal: find one's happiness. Happiness can be grand designs for the universe, this 'God' finds joys in petty revenges, or small things, the average dude is content with his average life. So these two characters all represent one entity: human. Two sides of a coin. People chase happiness, and pride is their greatest weapon but the ultimate downfall. Throw it away, it's the small things that make up your happiness. It's 'The Cleanse'. This story is all about humans' natures.

There are clearly smaller, more insignificant things scattered in this story too.

As fellow write/reader sharing secrets, I may just be bluffing.
Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
Spoiler:
There are, as can be clearly seen, only two characters in this 'story'. One narrator and one incredibly average guy. The narrator normally would never pass as one of the characters, because he does not do anything that affected the story in any way, but in this particular story, he has developed himself to be an image of his own story.

The Verdict, as you have pointed out, it's the vicious cycle of human conflicts. It may as well be the verdict of gods, who give humans its punishment because of their insolence, as exactly as I wrote in the story.

But what is it that actually leading the humans to their 'Verdict'? It's 'The Chase'. Humans chasing their desires. Every wars that have happened, it was for a 'reason', from one party or the other, or both. There was always 'something to fight for', something to protect, something on the line. Actual wars didn't happen until something happened that could be passed as an excuse to initiate wars, even though tensions rose years before and their purposes were quite clear (world war I was started with an assassination). Humans harbor grand desires, but some also just lay back and gives no fucks. Just like the average dude. All of his daily routine reflects our own daily routines (eat, work, relax and chat with people on Facebook). He read news and know of the world(s) around him, maybe he does give some fucks, but he (or his friends) ultimately don't have any power to change anything. He represents the simplicity found in everybody. We have our hopes and dreams, this dude was a freaking captain of a godamn spaceship, but at the end of the day, he do all the things we do. Truly a (lame) "everyman".

Then it brings me to my third point. What desires is it that humans truly chase? "Such is the punishment for one species so insolent, always sinning." is what I wrote. In Western religions, specifically Christianity, they teach you of the "Seven Deadly Sins" of humans. They are 'Gluttony, Lust, Envy, Greed, Wrath, Sloth and Pride' and most of them were represented in different lines in my writing. Ultimately, in my belief (as said above, I'm not associated with the religion, but I know and embrace some of these principles in my own life), the core of humans is 'Pride', the best and the worst virtue. This was represented by 'the narrator' throughout the whole story. I wrote "[Gods are] spiritual symbols of [humans]" (Jesus Christ was once mortal, if I were to quote the Bible), 'God' - the narrator - was surely prideful, but in fact, it was 'humans' who were prideful, and this 'God' addressed that as well in the story. People take pride in their achievements. Everybody has their desires for the world, few has that privilege. But everything everybody does works towards one goal: find one's happiness. Happiness can be grand designs for the universe, this 'God' finds joys in petty revenges, or small things, the average dude is content with his average life. So these two characters all represent one entity: human. Two sides of a coin. People chase happiness, and pride is their greatest weapon but the ultimate downfall. Throw it away, it's the small things that make up your happiness. It's 'The Cleanse'. This story is all about humans' natures.

There are clearly smaller, more insignificant things scattered in this story too.

As fellow write/reader sharing secrets, I may just be bluffing.

Feels like an extremely dumbed down version if anything. Human psychology is a vast and deep subject, to be honest, and I actually don't think it was portrayed here all -that- well other than people's tendency to fight each other, but I guess you still somewhat covered that with the so-called God claiming people sins. In the end, you weren't really after their sins in general, I think your entry was really gunning for the part where they have to fight each other for their wants. Attempting to cover something else just meaninglessly spreads it even further. Yet, at the same time, it could be inferred that the God doesn't really find sin to be a bad thing. He takes revenge which is basically baiting them into sins, and gets off that shit. So this God is rather really human, and I wouldn't really associate him with being Godly. Then again, you could also say that God is like us because he created us. Heh.
Cinia Pacifica wrote...
Feels like an extremely dumbed down version if anything. Human psychology is a vast and deep subject, to be honest, and I actually don't think it was portrayed here all -that- well other than people's tendency to fight each other, but I guess you still somewhat covered that with the so-called God claiming people sins. In the end, you weren't really after their sins in general, I think your entry was really gunning for the part where they have to fight each other for their wants. Attempting to cover something else just meaninglessly spreads it even further. Yet, at the same time, it could be inferred that the God doesn't really find sin to be a bad thing. He takes revenge which is basically baiting them into sins, and gets off that shit. So this God is rather really human, and I wouldn't really associate him with being Godly. Then again, you could also say that God is like us because he created us. Heh.

Yeah, well, you gotta sell your own story somehow. It could be just what you said, because clearly the subject of human's psychology is way beyond what a small story could cover. If anything, this can be a very small fraction of that stuff that I wanted to present here.

You can pass this as the way I always over-complicate everything that get me thinking. I can defend my point of view more, but that would only come out as my subjectively biased opinions of my own work. So I would leave it to other readers to think of it themselves.

Thanks for taking the time to discuss it with me.
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...

This is what you always say about my writing!

Dawn of Dark, I have read your entry. I will relish the opportunity to argue with you once the results are out and when I find time from my hectic schedule to respond to your entry.
leonard267 wrote...
Dawn of Dark, I have read your entry. I will relish the opportunity to argue with you once the results are out and when I find time from my hectic schedule to respond to your entry.

Just Dawn will be fine. And I will surely have some wonderful time too!

But "relish the opportunity to argue" doesn't really sound like a plus in the judges' books. *cries silently in a corner*
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
Dawn_of_Dark wrote...
leonard267 wrote...

Just Dawn will be fine. And I will surely have some wonderful time too!

But "relish the opportunity to argue" doesn't really sound like a plus in the judges' books. *cries silently in a corner*

You can get back at me. I have written something for this event. Please play the judge and leave a comment.

https://www.fakku.net/forums/writing-and-fanfiction/winter-non-entry-2015-an-attempt-at-comedy-about-an-old-man
leonard267 wrote...
You can get back at me. I have written something for this event. Please play the judge and leave a comment.

https://www.fakku.net/forums/writing-and-fanfiction/winter-non-entry-2015-an-attempt-at-comedy-about-an-old-man

Then I'll be a cruel one, wahahahahahahahaha.

But maybe tomorrow. I should be sleeping five hours ago.
I took the time to read this again and try to get into a little more detail about some of the things I don't like about this piece and some of the things I do like about it.

(those were the bombs. Haha, get it? †˜Bomb’. Hahahahaha).

Feels like this is supposed to reference something in particular, but I don't see what.

hahaha, doing drugs, hahaha

This adds character to the narrator, but it also just comes off as an immature joke that isn't funny to me.

As of the first paragraph, it's really all just exposition on a sci-fi setting that sounds really cliche. That may or may not have been the point, but so far, I don't have anything that hints at where this is going, and I don't have much of a reason to care.

Examples include everything in history books, children books or adult-oriented books (use videos, they have sounds, movements, cost money and most of the time are free). Some prime examples include 1914-1918 World War I, 1938-1945 World War II, 1789-1799 French Revolution, 1640–1660 English Revolution, the July 4th, 1776 American Declaration of Independence followed by the 1775–1783 American Revolutionary War and the following years of Americans and British-living-in-America celebrating the day by launching firecrackers, much like how they started the war (I still don’t know how the name of a continent, name of a guy actually, became the name of a nation), 1853-1856 Crimean War (personal favorite †˜holy war’, apart from the real †˜holy war’ involving transgender and bondage theme), 9/11, 2003-2011 Iraq War, ISIS and their 2015 French Bombing (which everybody cares), 2015 France bombing ISIS at Raqqa, Syria (which nobody cares), ISIS destroying thousands-years-old Islamic relics and temples (which nobody cares, but nobody likes Islam) and thousands of innocent Islamic people died (which nobody cares), 1948 WHO formation (ever heard of Pharma Bro?), 1945 UNESCO formation (arguably ISIS would not have destroyed those relics and temples if UNESCO hasn’t deemed them †˜valuables’), 1923 Interpol formation (I still see crimes on the news), 1945 United Nations establishment (humans haven’t stopped making wars), mechanical, electrical, detonation, transportation inventions, discovery of oil, technology and arm races between nations (the US and Soviet Union Cold War), display of military prowess, weapons of mass destruction of Democratic People's Republic of Korea (Northern, unpopular Korea for short) in 2009-2013 (great haircut, by the way).

This big chunk here is something that I think could have been edited way down without losing anything important. Is it really necessary to the larger narrative to include every single one of those events?

By †˜nothing’ I mean he still has all of his normal facial features, not that he’s some kind of Faceless spiritual creature.

This is another line I think that doesn't add anything worthwhile and isn't particularly funny.

He’s traveled across galaxies. Now he’s returned to Earth, a wretched place, by comparison. All alone. On the entire planet. Deserted. By himself. Without anyone else.

This development is interesting. I find myself wanting know more about this guy's situation and why Earth is deserted. But then you forget about him for a while to go off on this long tangent that seemingly has nothing to do with him. We find out it does, but when reading through the story without any prior knowledge as to what's going to happen, it's disconcerting to make it sound like we're going to be focusing on this guy and then completely ignore him for a while.

After 2011-2018 Syrian Civil War, 2017-2023 Chinese Invasion (how does nobody see that coming), 2020-2025 World War III, 2032 Robot Breakout, 2033 Asia’s Merger, 2034 Asia’s Supreme Leader Assassination, 2036 World War IV, 2040 African Revolutionized Mechanibot revelation (completed with diamond finishes, too, fancy), 2050 Announcement of Biologically Mutated Humans, 2057 Angry Asia’s 100th Missile Test Drive, 2062 World War XII and 2080 Worlds War I . . .

There's yet another list of events, but this one didn't bother me since it's about fictional things, and I actually found it interesting.

And humans certainly need faith if they want any hope surviving the upcoming 2082-2088 Worlds War II, 2087-2090 Kiman Threats, 2100 New Century Destruction, 2103-2206 Intergalactic Conflicts, 2208 Universal Peace Treaty, 2645 Recession of the Caskvyer Systems and the following Rebellion Outburst (people rebel when they are poor, it’s basic history), 2778 Re-establishment of the Republic, the 3000 New Millennium Celebrative Re-enactment of Wars and more to come

Like before, because there are new things I'm learning about, it's more interesting to read this list, but at this point, I'm getting really tried of reading lists of events.

Because I’m writing this to you as God, mortal. It makes so much sense now how I know what color is the main character’s underwear.

I like the part about the underwear, but the narrator mentioning he's God kinda comes out of nowhere. He's going through that list, and then boom, he's God.

Mortals follow a collection of books called †˜The Bibles’,

I know what a bible is, and I'm pretty sure so does everyone else.

which all have an eye to boost and most of the time have to be a vegan, nice way to worship your deity.

This is another line in particular I liked. I like meat, it's tasty, and I'd be upset if someone portrayed me as a vegan just because they thought it would be an ideal quality to have.

Enough about myself, back to the main character.

I have mixed feelings about this. It's funny that the narrator's calling him the main character considering how little he's done but at the same time, as I mentioned before, I like what little I know about him so far so it's disappointing that he hasn't done more.

Just like a classic Aston Martin (maybe a few more hundred years, spaceships will have their own †˜classical looks’).

Never thought about spaceships having 'classical looks' before.

What, did you think humans are not capable of keeping in touch through the light-years?

Nope. Didn't think that at all because I know a thing or two about sci-fi.

The last paragraph offers an explanation as to why the guy isn't freaking out that he's the only human on Earth, which is a question I had at the end of the paragraph before it. However, I'm not too sure what all of that stuff is about successors and lawsuits.
d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
I took the time to read this again and try to get into a little more detail about some of the things I don't like about this piece and some of the things I do like about it.

Thank you for doing that, and being thorough about it too. I will answer some things you mentioned below in specific details, and in that process, defend my story.

Before I begin, I want to say it up front about the goal of the apparently actual 'main character' here, that is, the 'God' character, even if he says otherwise. As you can derive from the opening paragraph and throughout the story, this guy can be simply put as a condescending prick. He clearly loves to show off that he knows everything about everything and he judges everyone on everything. You can just imagine meeting a guy like this irl and shove a stick up his ass. But then, as it turned out, he's 'God', he has access to all knowledge (clearly I know about these stuffs and I'm not God, but you get it) and he has the right to judges. Suddenly, you look at him with another eye, or I hope everyone looked at him with another eye, as I wrote "[Gods are] spiritual symbols of [humans]". This guy is just a representation of humans, everyone has their enormous pride that they chose to restrain in mutual respect of others. This 'God' is the manifestation of humans' pride without restrain, because he has no equals. He talks lowly with his subjects, humans. As I said above with Cinia, I believe pride is humans' biggest sin. He admires religions, because he thinks that is an embellished way of humans following their truest nature.

His ranting about humans can't be complete if there's no actual humans in the story, and there just happens to be one on the deserted planet that originally he made it to be. So he picks that guy and deemed him 'main character' for this 'story', but ultimately, he doesn't need to talk about the average guy, so there's little point to this guy in God's narration. However, he plays a large part in the understanding of the story as I interpreted it (read it in the link above).

Some of these references are just there for the sake of referencing, to portray more of this guy's knowledge, and at times not for the sake of being funny. Some might find it funny when they know what I am talking about.

Spoiler:
(those were the bombs. Haha, get it? †˜Bomb’. Hahahahaha).

Feels like this is supposed to reference something in particular, but I don't see what.

I talk about the humans-wannbe-robots earlier to that, and I believe everyone pick up it's about Capcom's classic platform game, MegaMan. The story usually revolves around MegaMan and other versions of these robots fighting agaisnt a evil force for co-existence between humans and robots. There is another game franchise with similar theme, Hudson's BOMBERMAN. In reality, the first arcade game of the franchise didn't really have any real storyline, but as its popularity rose and the game began to span across different platforms and evolving, it started to have more consistent theme for the games, even though they would usually have slightly different themes for each specific games. They typically revolves around Bomberman and his friends, usually robots made from a same professor or creatures on a different planet, trying to save its world from a force of destruction.

Spoiler:
hahaha, doing drugs, hahaha

This adds character to the narrator, but it also just comes off as an immature joke that isn't funny to me.

He just finds it's funny that people get high with drugs nowadays, while at the same time finding a way to get 'high' with 'drugs'. He's laughing down on humans' seemingly effort in a literal way.

I have not experienced drugs myself, but I have heard it's not that all that bad or anything in the US.

Spoiler:
As of the first paragraph, it's really all just exposition on a sci-fi setting that sounds really cliche. That may or may not have been the point, but so far, I don't have anything that hints at where this is going, and I don't have much of a reason to care.

As of the get-go, you know that this will be a fantasy setting, the tone of this story will be, at least, silly and doesn't promote a topic in a serious manners. I want to add that in stories like this, the topic presented and the arguments can be as serious as any other pieces of arguments, in just that the manners of doing that is different, but that doesn't mean you should dismiss everything as a joke altogether. There are always something to learn in everything. You can miss a lot of things if you don't pay attention, that is what I have learned with my way of interpreting things people said, like I said above with Cinia.

I admit that with all that, it was not such a best way of opening my story. With the second paragraph, you start to somewhat get the picture of things, but there should have been something about the purpose in the first paragraph.

This is also a 'parody' take I want to do with the 'story' approach of this too. With conventional stories, you will definitely introduce your characters early on. I waited as much as halfway through the piece when I introduce 'the main character' here, but at this time, readers may have guessed that 'the true main' here is the narrator.

Spoiler:
History and current events thigns

This big chunk here is something that I think could have been edited way down without losing anything important. Is it really necessary to the larger narrative to include every single one of those events?

It could have been edited way down without losing anything important. However, I did it with a clear mind, a full awareness that this could be daunting to read and the intention to show that the narrator is making a point that 'it's exactly the tiring feeling when you try to read that list that I'm talking about: it's tiring to go through all your humans' bad deeds, mortal.'

Spoiler:
By †˜nothing’ I mean he still has all of his normal facial features, not that he’s some kind of Faceless spiritual creature.

This is another line I think that doesn't add anything worthwhile and isn't particularly funny.

It's not funny. It adds to the character's knowledge. It references to Faceless, a character in Hayao Miyazaki's phenomenal anime movie 'Spirited Away'.

Spoiler:
He’s traveled across galaxies. Now he’s returned to Earth, a wretched place, by comparison. All alone. On the entire planet. Deserted. By himself. Without anyone else.

This development is interesting. I find myself wanting know more about this guy's situation and why Earth is deserted. But then you forget about him for a while to go off on this long tangent that seemingly has nothing to do with him. We find out it does, but when reading through the story without any prior knowledge as to what's going to happen, it's disconcerting to make it sound like we're going to be focusing on this guy and then completely ignore him for a while.

As I explained above, exactly my point.

Spoiler:
After 2011-2018 Syrian Civil War, 2017-2023 Chinese Invasion (how does nobody see that coming), 2020-2025 World War III, 2032 Robot Breakout, 2033 Asia’s Merger, 2034 Asia’s Supreme Leader Assassination, 2036 World War IV, 2040 African Revolutionized Mechanibot revelation (completed with diamond finishes, too, fancy), 2050 Announcement of Biologically Mutated Humans, 2057 Angry Asia’s 100th Missile Test Drive, 2062 World War XII and 2080 Worlds War I . . .

There's yet another list of events, but this one didn't bother me since it's about fictional things, and I actually found it interesting.

Thanks. It just sounds funny to me too.

Spoiler:
And humans certainly need faith if they want any hope surviving the upcoming 2082-2088 Worlds War II, 2087-2090 Kiman Threats, 2100 New Century Destruction, 2103-2206 Intergalactic Conflicts, 2208 Universal Peace Treaty, 2645 Recession of the Caskvyer Systems and the following Rebellion Outburst (people rebel when they are poor, it’s basic history), 2778 Re-establishment of the Republic, the 3000 New Millennium Celebrative Re-enactment of Wars and more to come

Like before, because there are new things I'm learning about, it's more interesting to read this list, but at this point, I'm getting really tried of reading lists of events.

As explained in number 4.

Spoiler:
Because I’m writing this to you as God, mortal. It makes so much sense now how I know what color is the main character’s underwear.

I like the part about the underwear, but the narrator mentioning he's God kinda comes out of nowhere. He's going through that list, and then boom, he's God.

It could have used more development. Maybe some kind of godly facts of some sorts. But then again, for the sake of argument, supposedly he is god, then he can perfectly do that, because why not?

Spoiler:
Mortals follow a collection of books called †˜The Bibles’,

I know what a bible is, and I'm pretty sure so does everyone else.

OK.

Spoiler:
which all have an eye to boost and most of the time have to be a vegan, nice way to worship your deity.

This is another line in particular I liked. I like meat, it's tasty, and I'd be upset if someone portrayed me as a vegan just because they thought it would be an ideal quality to have.

I know, right?

Spoiler:
Enough about myself, back to the main character.

I have mixed feelings about this. It's funny that the narrator's calling him the main character considering how little he's done but at the same time, as I mentioned before, I like what little I know about him so far so it's disappointing that he hasn't done more.

As explained in number 4.

Spoiler:
Just like a classic Aston Martin (maybe a few more hundred years, spaceships will have their own †˜classical looks’).

Never thought about spaceships having 'classical looks' before.

Cars were new when they were invented.

Spoiler:
What, did you think humans are not capable of keeping in touch through the light-years?

Nope. Didn't think that at all because I know a thing or two about sci-fi.

I don't know why you said that. In case you didn't catch it, in the following sentence, I wrote "[Humans] already developed a way to communicate through wormholes in 2014." and that's a reference to a 2014 science-inspired movie Interstellar by Christopher Nolan. In this movie, a group of astronauts travel through a wormhole on a mission to save mankind, and while they are traveling, they can receive video messages from closed ones still reside on Earth, even though they cannot do it the other way around. A noteworthy detail is that I call this movie 'science-inspired', not science fiction, because the moviemakers claim to have build up every details, be it visuals, physics behind the actions or actual possibilities, from established physics laws and theories, not from imagination of screenwriters. Hence this line.

Spoiler:
The last paragraph offers an explanation as to why the guy isn't freaking out that he's the only human on Earth, which is a question I had at the end of the paragraph before it. However, I'm not too sure what all of that stuff is about successors and lawsuits.

It's a reference to Asian dramas and movies. In Asian soap operas, particularly Korean and Hong Kong stuffs due to its popularity, there's a popular theme of a rich parent passing their richness to the next generation. Usually, the parent(s) is really poor in their childhood, and by chance and genuine hard work, they achieve wealth. They often have several children and a subsequently large extended family. Then later in their lives, with their imminent death(s) approaching due to age or sickness, they have to pass on their wealth. Sometimes, the parents can even have adopted children. With that, things gets ugly quickly, as people fight over in series of lawsuits to seize this wealth.

I used to think this theme is kind of silly and unlikely in real life, until I talked with a lawyer this one time. She was a social lawyer, and she explicitly said that the kind of case she loves to handle the most is family feud over wealth. It last for years and each side has is own 'rights', so it's virtually can't be resolved quickly, even when it is, no matter the judgement, money got poured into her pockets. True story.

You can check out the Hong Kong's drama Heart of Greed and the Korean drama The Heirs if you're interested.

I have not written this reply as a reprisal to your comments. All of your points is logically understandable and I take criticism seriously. I know this story may not sit well with a lot of people, and I appreciate the time you spend to read through it, and then read through this. I wanted to show you what I was trying to do with this story and I will appreciate it immensely if we can continue to have a discussion about it.
you know, as i read this, i remember the quote from kurt vonnegut's breakfast of champions iirc.

ideas are not for the sake of advancement. it's mainly for differentiating between friends and enemies.

it implies that even with all those ideas, humanity did not advance.

what's kinda weird is that the God in here had some hots for an old man (judging by his interest in the color of his underwear)? it was rather bizarre taste for the omniscient being, I guess. but who am i to judge.

most of it was basically 8deep16me though, but i can chuckle at some parts lol
You can just imagine meeting a guy like this irl and shove a stick up his ass.

Oh, I'd love to do more than that if I met him in real life. Speaking of which, that's actually probably the single biggest problem I have with this. The entire thing is a monologue by a character I dislike. Maybe I'd have enjoyed this more if I found the narrator more likable.

Suddenly, you look at him with another eye, or I hope everyone looked at him with another eye . . .

Kind of. A dick is still a dick though.

This guy is just a representation of humans, everyone has their enormous pride that they chose to restrain in mutual respect of others.

That's interesting. I've never thought about that before.

Some of these references are just there for the sake of referencing, to portray more of this guy's knowledge, and at times not for the sake of being funny.

So I guess I was looking for jokes where there weren't supposed to be any at some spots in this.

There is another game franchise with similar theme, Hudson's BOMBERMAN.

I've played a few Bomberman games. Didn't know they're robots though.

This is also a 'parody' take I want to do with the 'story' approach of this too. With conventional stories, you will definitely introduce your characters early on. I waited as much as halfway through the piece when I introduce 'the main character' here, but at this time, readers may have guessed that 'the true main' here is the narrator.

There were authors who used to take the first chapter and use it to just give exposition about the world and stuff, or so I've heard.

It could have been edited way down without losing anything important. However, I did it with a clear mind, a full awareness that this could be daunting to read and the intention to show that the narrator is making a point that 'it's exactly the tiring feeling when you try to read that list that I'm talking about: it's tiring to go through all your humans' bad deeds, mortal.'

That's cool, but I would have preferred to have gotten that sentiment without reading a tiring list.

It's not funny. It adds to the character's knowledge. It references to Faceless, a character in Hayao Miyazaki's phenomenal anime movie 'Spirited Away'.

Ah.

Cars were new when they were invented.

I know, but I never thought about the idea applying to space ships though. In sci-fi settings, they're always just there. I've yet to read a story that involves classic ships. Granted, I don't read nearly as much sci-fi as I do fantasy.

I don't know why you said that. In case you didn't catch it, in the following sentence, I wrote "[Humans] already developed a way to communicate through wormholes in 2014."

Just saying. Distant communication like that is pretty standard for sci-fi, and with the way you phrase that question, it sounds like you were expecting readers to question this idea of communication between planets.

Have not seen Insterstellar, though my brother has. Like eight times.
high_time wrote...
you know, as i read this, i remember the quote from kurt vonnegut's breakfast of champions iirc.

ideas are not for the sake of advancement. it's mainly for differentiating between friends and enemies.

it implies that even with all those ideas, humanity did not advance.

Yeah, I read some posts that summarize some of Kurt Vonnegut's philosophies and stuffs, which I read years ago, recently and maybe that kind of strike something into me.

what's kinda weird is that the God in here had some hots for an old man (judging by his interest in the color of his underwear)? it was rather bizarre taste for the omniscient being, I guess. but who am i to judge.

lol. But I would totally, like, notice a color of a dude's underwear anyway if I can see it.

most of it was basically 8deep16me though, but i can chuckle at some parts lol

I like to think 32deep about basically everything, but you can totally pass this off as a silly story about a dick and have some laughs. Magic of comedy I guess, it's as serious as you want it to be.

d(^_^)(^_^)d wrote...
Oh, I'd love to do more than that if I met him in real life. Speaking of which, that's actually probably the single biggest problem I have with this. The entire thing is a monologue by a character I dislike. Maybe I'd have enjoyed this more if I found the narrator more likable.

Yeah, I explained somewhere above, which I'll summarize: 'Appearing like a ego-maniac is a big no-no in literature, but that is exactly the point here'. It doesn't work too well with everybody though.

Kind of. A dick is still a dick though.

Yeah, I agree.

This guy is just a representation of humans, everyone has their enormous pride that they chose to restrain in mutual respect of others.

That's interesting. I've never thought about that before.

I just want to add that this isn't necessarily my actual point of view irl. Most arguments here are for the sake of this contest, proving a certain viewpoint, not that I actually think so bad about everything around me.

So I guess I was looking for jokes where there weren't supposed to be any at some spots in this.

They can be funny in the sense that 'Damn, this prick is talking shit about my favorite waifu.' or something like that.

I've played a few Bomberman games. Didn't know they're robots though.

It's also worth nothing that Bomberman came out about the same era as MegaMan. One of my favorite Bomberman game is "Bomberman Adventure", kind of a Bomberman RPG game on the GameBoy Advance. He was a robot of a professor in that game iirc.

There were authors who used to take the first chapter and use it to just give exposition about the world and stuff, or so I've heard.

Yeah, but I'm sure they don't wait 300 pages into the book to introduce the main characters, because that will be the equivalent of what I'm doing here with my story.

That's cool, but I would have preferred to have gotten that sentiment without reading a tiring list.

Point taken.

I know, but I never thought about the idea applying to space ships though. In sci-fi settings, they're always just there. I've yet to read a story that involves classic ships.

Me neither. It seems like everybody take for granted that spaceships are the coolness of future and thus they always portray them like 'modern' things. However inventive and new one kind of thing get, there will always be hipsters who prefer the 'good old days'.

Have not seen Insterstellar, though my brother has. Like eight times.

I thought it was pretty good the first time I see it, but Christopher Nolan has this tendency to romanticize everything (even with Batman), so in retrospect, I could have done without some of those aspects. There's Hans Zimmer's epic soundtracks in the movie though, big fan. And I love Anne Hathaway.
Pages 12Next