[Writing Contest Entry 3.30.14] Why Not Happy?

leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
This is a last minute entry. Yoohan contacted me wanting me to contribute. This was what I had in mind as soon as he approached me.
leonard267 FAKKU Non-Writer
The Pursuit of Unhapynurs Unhappiness / Why Not Happy?

Those who know me or who are at least familiar with me and what I write would know that happiness does not go well with me and that I write many unpleasant scenarios whereby happiness barely figures in them. (Never mind that some, albeit very few, felt happy after reading them ironically and regrettably) There are reasons behind why this is so, of which I would explain in detail below)

Reason #1. Happiness is poorly defined. I don't like things that are poorly defined.

It seemed to me that happiness is very elusive. Most people upon hearing this would ruminate about why it is unattainable and begin attributing the absence of happiness to this and that without really addressing what happiness is precisely. The more I thought about it, the more convinced I am that the reason why happiness is beyond the reach of so many is because no one ever gave a proper definition to it!

One can quote Confucius at this point, "If definitions are screwed, language is screwed. If language is screwed, affairs will be screwed up. If affairs are screwed up, everything will be screwed up. When everything is screwed up, need we continue this slippery slope argument?" Putting aside the accuracy of this translation which can be a very difficult matter considering the difficulties of translating Archaic Chinese, a dead language, into English, there is a ring of truth that names and the definitions that come along with it is very, very important.

Happiness appears to have something to do with pleasure but pleasure itself isn't happiness. When one presses what is happiness then if not pleasure, which is quite quantifiable and identifiable, I imagine Xenon, an acquaintance of mine, replying that it is 'more than just simple pleasure and it is something incredibly wonderful that is beyond definition.'

If a concept is not properly defined, I would doubt its existence. Should one uses vague concepts like 'happiness' in a sentence, I would find it necessary for clarification. Indeed, one of the sentences that would leave my eyebrows twitching for most of the day would be, "MY GOAL IN LIFE IS TO ACHIEVE HAPPINESS!" The person who utters this sentence must have very unclear goals and motivations on what he or she wishes to do with his or her life!

Of course one can point out that there are many concepts thrown at our poor minds to grapple that are as vague as happiness, 'good', 'evil', 'freedom', 'democracy', 'tyranny' being some of them. Yet, we seem to be coping well with them. My counter argument to that must be, "Oh yeah?!" Perhaps it is the strong influence of Confucianism that is the culprit behind my attitude towards this for I believe, as Confucius and his followers did, that screwed up definitions makes for a screwed up world!

Reason #2. If happiness means contentment then I don't want to be happy!

There is a Chinese saying that I won't go into detail but which roughly equates contentment to happiness. While this is the best definition of happiness that I have encountered so far (as contentment is quite observable), I have my concerns about it. Contentment or being happy with your lot in life must mean that one accepts all of the problems, serious or otherwise, that come along with it. That is a prospect that I do not relish at all.

Others may be entitled to see happiness as contentment and a state of mind worthy of pursuit. There may be something in that line of thought that one has to admire. After all, putting up with the many inconveniences and the many injustices that may come along with one's less than perfect circumstances is no easy feat. However, I am afraid I do not share those sentiments for I see it as a great impediment and a dismissible excuse not to engage in betterment and progress.

I see progress as a response to the many problems Man has to face. The wheel must have been invented to free Man from hobbling on his two feet. Weapons were invented to solve the problem of being mauled to death by beasts and bludgeoned to death by bigger and stronger enemies. Imagine if one applies the definition of happiness as contentment in that scenario. Imagine if one were to be content with making do with our bodies that are poorly made to deal with the elements. Being content in such a situation must mean that we abandon possibly the only effective instrument that our bodies are equipped to deal with this harsh and evil world, namely our minds.

One may point out that contentment is a virtue not a vice for it applies to situations when one is faced with problems that are beyond one's ability to resolve. To that, my response would be another "Oh yeah?!" The problem might be insurmountable but surely one is better off finding out if it is really the case by endeavouring to surmount it! I can't see a state of contentment (defined to be happiness for those of you who point out that this argument is beginning to have little to do with happiness) or happiness being of any utility in this case!

Reason #3. Unhappiness, defined to be a lack of contentment, is a virtue!

If I equate a lack of contentment to unhappiness then I must reach this seemingly absurd conclusion that unhappiness is a virtue! I am comfortable with that notion though for reasons I have stated above. A lack of contentment or unhappiness shows an inclination to solve whatever problems that one encounters.

One can dispute this definition of happiness. An unhappy man who lost a loved one may not be in a state of discontentment. I think otherwise. A state of despair to me is a state of discontentment which can be a powerful motivation to engage in activities to better his circumstances. Neither it is a given that a discontented person would be inclined to solve his problems in a constructive manner. For example, a person who uses mind altering substances in an act of stupid escapism. Yet, I see unhappiness (defined as discontentment) as indispensable in the pursuit of progress which I am beholden to.

One can disagree with that definition of happiness as contentment but whether is it because happiness is vaguely defined or the problems that come with happiness defined as contentment, I am scornful of the notion of happiness.

As I bring a close to this idle banter, I can't help but to wonder if one would view my contributions to this forum differently if he or she knows that these are thoughts I have as I put my pen onto paper.
Xenon FAKKU Writer
Genius. Clearly this is a prime example of a logical development which we could all learn from to improve our perception of the world.

Welcome back, leonard. Great job with this masterpiece.
the act of defining happiness in order to know its own true nature.

most people would probably be content by simplifying things, like, happiness is those that make you feel good in life etc. so we should all be happy. but not for the most critical of minds who want to question everything and anything.

they doubt what most people believe and for some of them, conflict is the main precursor of action and most of all, the raison d'etre of humanity's development. without unhappiness, conflict, depression and so forth, life would be so boring one would find their own mental faculties degrade and soon will succumb to certain death of mind, body and soul.

contrary to the beliefs of religious and philosophical treaties concerning peace and tranquility. one can argue whether the mindset of a pacifist would actually brought any sound goodness. an argument to overthrow things many people believed by face value - without trying to question them even a single bit.

adding one's own personal views into the mix. perhaps the idea of peace cannot be forced solely for peace to exist. there must be the ones to balance it, such as conflict. as it was noted by the yin and yang concept.

regardless of the questions swirling in one's own head. they could agree that the ultimate source of happiness lies in confronting each unhappy and depressing moments rather than escaping and running away. they fall. they rise back again. and no matter what kind of things may happen, it's about us to decide our outcome. we do not rely on others to achieve our own happiness. on the other hand, unhappiness can be viewed as a gift to better our own self.

regardless of the undertone, I find this to be an optimistic essay about one's own views about life. or so how I interpreted it.