Smoking

Do you smoke?

Total Votes : 360
I've tried smoking once, when I was 14, didn't like it. Tasted like crap. And I hate the smell of smoke.
Aya-senpai wrote...
i do smoke too. since 14.
started because of a girlfriend, who have teached me 8B

back then it was cool to smoke, you know?
especially when ppl asked "and do your parents know?" and i answered "yes, why not? i pay for them with my money anyway" and ppl would "Wooooow *-*"

Nowadays, i feel ashamed everytime i light one up. even my mother stopped smoking, and now i have to go outside my house to smoke.
It has became an extremely annoying habit to me. No one smokes around me anymore, and i just can't quit it.

Part is because of the addiction, but it's not only that. The real problem is that i really LIKE that shit =_=
I don't know, makes me feel like a bad guy รจ_e
/jk/

i just like the taste and the feeling it gives me. But someday i'll quit smoking.

may the force be with you , trust me the earlier u quite the better i am sure u know tht...
I don't smoke. Part of the reason is no one around me smokes, no close friends or family members have the habit. Also, yes, they are expensive and generally considered to be not great for your health. Don't really care about the image issues associated with it all that much, the other things are more important. I don't do any other drugs or drink alcohol either... man I'm so square. Well, at least I'm a pervert, hoho!
Tegumi "im always cute"
I deplore smoking. I can't stand it, and I hate it when people absolutely must smoke in crowded areas.
Second-hand smoke is the main issue here, but then there's the smell and the choking and coughing and making my nose dry and icky. I've actually purchased a filter mask for cases in which I end up somewhere with a lot of smokers and no way out of it. Smoking should have been banned ages ago, in my opinion.

And I would never, ever go out with a guy who smoked. Period.
Tegumi wrote...
I deplore smoking. I can't stand it, and I hate it when people absolutely must smoke in crowded areas.
Second-hand smoke is the main issue here, but then there's the smell and the choking and coughing and making my nose dry and icky. I've actually purchased a filter mask for cases in which I end up somewhere with a lot of smokers and no way out of it. Smoking should have been banned ages ago, in my opinion.

Well the second-hand factor was one reason why I quit, since I was the only one who smoked (at the time, occasionally the guys light up some cigars now) so I thought that for everyone's sake I should kick the habit.

And I don't smoke now. ^_^
quoted for truth i don't smoke cause me mum says if i start smoking she'll kill me faster than the cancer
I don't smoke, had never tried it but I'm curious...

Maybe 1 day, Maybe
illumi wrote...

My entire family is a smoking family and I like the smell, taste and feel so I just keep smoking.

As long as you don't get completely attatched(a pack a day) I'm pretty sure it won't kill you THAT fast.

Agree'd.
Oh, and the second sentance I quoted because I smoke a pack and a half a day. So I might die soon. But I also might live longer than all you non-smokers, despite probability sying otherwise.

Tegumi wrote...

Second hand smoking isn't nearly as dangerous as people seem to think it is. While you souldn't smoke around small children, just to be safe, for adults, second-hand smoke is less dangerous that regularly eating canned vegetables. Unless, I guess, if someone is blowing every puff directly into your face from 3 inches away.

Which is why there is no need to be miltant about it. The whole persuit of happiness so long as it doesn't infringe on the safety of others thing. Nothing wrng with me killing myself.
Tegumi "im always cute"
Dante, but it IS infringing on my safety, even if you might consider it nominal. Vehicles are forced to pass emissions tests for a reason, and you sure wouldn't enjoy inhaling a lungful of exhaust.
Tegumi wrote...
Dante, but it IS infringing on my safety, even if you might consider it nominal. Vehicles are forced to pass emissions tests for a reason, and you sure wouldn't enjoy inhaling a lungful of exhaust.

Especially fucking diesel exhaust! :x
Tegumi wrote...

But vehicles, even if they are up to code, still expel quite a lot of exhaust. Should all vehicles that use gasoline be banned because they expel exhaust?

As for banning smoking, I'm going to have to give the usual argument - why not ban alcohol first? Alcohol does a lot more harm than smoking. And a person doesn't have to drink for decades to die. A person could die from one night of drinking. Just one.

They've already banned smoking in 90% of areas, and if they need to raise taxes, the first thing targeted are cigarettes. Isn't that enough? Besides, if you have a filter mask, what's the problem? Can't you just put it on and have no trouble? Or, you could ask the person smoking to turn away from you or put out the cigarette. Most smokers I know would do so if someone asked them (as long as it was reasonable).
ShaggyJebus wrote...
Tegumi wrote...

But vehicles, even if they are up to code, still expel quite a lot of exhaust. Should all vehicles that use gasoline be banned because they expel exhaust?

As for banning smoking, I'm going to have to give the usual argument - why not ban alcohol first? Alcohol does a lot more harm than smoking. And a person doesn't have to drink for decades to die. A person could die from one night of drinking. Just one.

They've already banned smoking in 90% of areas, and if they need to raise taxes, the first thing targeted are cigarettes. Isn't that enough? Besides, if you have a filter mask, what's the problem? Can't you just put it on and have no trouble? Or, you could ask the person smoking to turn away from you or put out the cigarette. Most smokers I know would do so if someone asked them (as long as it was reasonable).

True, we aren't all bastards. We don't get jollies from blowing smoke into people's faces.

Also, if I took a lungfull of exhaust from my car, I may well die on the spot, not 30 years later. Not really any comparison.
So again, my smoking doesn't affect you in any way that you would be able to notice.
I don't smoke cuz I don't wan't bad breath, yellow teath and cigarettes are quite expensive... Btw I think you can find better ways to relax
Tegumi "im always cute"
ShaggyJebus wrote...

The idea of an emissions test is to reduce the harmful content of exhaust enough so that there aren't any major health risks. Also, I don't walk around on roads, but there sure are a lot of smokers on the sidewalk.
Self-induced alcohol poisoning is what it sounds like: death wrought upon oneself. Last I checked, alcohol was not airborne, so I didn't have to worry about breathing it in if someone were consuming it nearby.
A filter mask isn't exactly casual wear, either. And in places like large outdoor attractions, it's a bit hard to ask everyone who's smoking in your vicinity to stop, especially if you're moving around a lot.

Dante1214 wrote...

True, we aren't all bastards. We don't get jollies from blowing smoke into people's faces.

Also, if I took a lungfull of exhaust from my car, I may well die on the spot, not 30 years later. Not really any comparison.
So again, my smoking doesn't affect you in any way that you would be able to notice.

Oh, I never said that you get some sort of sickening satisfaction from it. However, I find it unacceptable that smokers need to smoke all the time, especially in crowded public places.
No, I notice it, because I smell it, and it really is a horrendous smell. Even more so that I associate it with cancer.

And while you smokers chafe about the fact that a ban on smoking would hinder your right and pursuit of happiness, you fail to realize that every time you take a puff of your habit you yourself are infringing on the rights of the twenty or so people around you: The right to breathe clean air.
Tegumi wrote...
ShaggyJebus wrote...

The idea of an emissions test is to reduce the harmful content of exhaust enough so that there aren't any major health risks. Also, I don't walk around on roads, but there sure are a lot of smokers on the sidewalk.
Self-induced alcohol poisoning is what it sounds like: death wrought upon oneself. Last I checked, alcohol was not airborne, so I didn't have to worry about breathing it in if someone were consuming it nearby.
A filter mask isn't exactly casual wear, either. And in places like large outdoor attractions, it's a bit hard to ask everyone who's smoking in your vicinity to stop, especially if you're moving around a lot.

Dante1214 wrote...

Oh, I never said that you get some sort of sickening satisfaction from it. However, I find it unacceptable that smokers need to smoke all the time, especially in crowded public places.
No, I notice it, because I smell it, and it really is a horrendous smell. Even more so that I associate it with cancer.

And while you smokers chafe about the fact that a ban on smoking would hinder your right and pursuit of happiness, you fail to realize that every time you take a puff of your habit you yourself are infringing on the rights of the twenty or so people around you: The right to breathe clean air.

I think I'm in love. :oops:

Just felt like saying it, not serious. :D
Tegumi wrote...
ShaggyJebus wrote...

Dante1214 wrote...

now thats a rage from a normal person to smokers with no brains , i totally agree :<
Tegumi wrote...
ShaggyJebus wrote...

Dante1214 wrote...

I brought up drinking because it can (and does) hurt others, not just the person who drinks. How? Drunk driving. Tons of people are killed or injured by drunk drivers every year. So why not make alcohol illegal? I'm sure more people are killed every year because of drunk driving accidents than by second hand smoke.
Tegumi "im always cute"
ShaggyJebus wrote...

I brought up drinking because it can (and does) hurt others, not just the person who drinks. How? Drunk driving. Tons of people are killed or injured by drunk drivers every year. So why not make alcohol illegal? I'm sure more people are killed every year because of drunk driving accidents than by second hand smoke.

Glad you decided to re-iterate your point. I was going to address it earlier, but it would have made my post too long.
People are injured or die from drunk driving only a percentage of the time. Consumption of alcohol doesn't necessarily imply the operation of a motor vehicle afterwards, and even if drinking and driving do occur, there is not an absolute possibility of someone being injured or killed.
Whereas if you smoke and there are people near you, there is a 100% chance of their exposure to your second-hand smoke.
And there's this interesting thing about drunk driving - it is illegal.

If we compare the two, we have an interesting contrast of risk versus result.
With drunk driving, the risk is rather slim. I almost never think or worry about a drunk driving incident on a daily basis. The result, however, [of a drunk driving incident] is definitely immediately painful or life-ending.
With smoking, the risk [of second-hand smoke] is rather large. If I'm in a public place, such as... say, walking in between classes, I can count on some clod somewhere along the way (or worse, walking directly in front of me) to be smoking. The results seem trivial - unpleasant smell, watering of eyes, drying/running of nose, coughing/sneezing, and general allergy symptoms.
The result of driving while intoxicated is much greater (death) but its risk is not very great (tens of thousands) when compared to people affected by smoking (millions) even though the latter's result seems to be only mild allergic discomfort.
Except that second-hand smoke can cause cancer anyway, so it's like killing them slowly (in the form of higher chance of respiratory disease in later life) anyway.
Now I weigh these two things. Alcohol, which is only dangerous when it involves operating machinery (which by the way, is already illegal); or smoking, which indiscriminately affects everyone around you. From what I see, my placement of concern undeniably rational.
I don't smoke but I'm on the cusp of "party smoker" level. I didn't touch any smokeable substance until Grade 11 (weed) and didn't smoke a cigarette until Grade 12. I smoke on cigarette and was like "This smells and tastes bad and I didn't get a head rush or anything. What the fuck?" And then didn't smoke for a while. Then I went to Montreal a while ago and had a boge with some chick and more recently went out for one with a guy to carry on a conversation. It's not frequent but I've gone from militant anti-smoker to sometimes doing it when it's free. Almost all of my good friends smoke too so that makes it harder.

Dante speaks the truth. Second-hand smoke is really overblown in how dangerous it is. It's repugnant enough that it's banning from public areas is acceptable but when it gets lumped in with all the other substance oriented propaganda bullshit it bothers me. Scare tactics are insulting on multiple levels, not the least of which is that they insult the public intelligence to be able to weigh the risks for themselves. The only time those "Do this and you will fucking die!" ads are truthful is in regards to impaired driving. Just driving regularly is the most dangerous thing humans do regularly. Annihilating your motor skills and attention span and then getting behind a multi-tonne machine that travels at hundreds of kilometers per hour and is reliant upon your motor skills and attention span to function is a horrible idea.

Kind of breaking from the topic I guess.
I smoke involuntary; in other words, I am a "victim" of passive smoking. I have never liked the smell that much, so whenever I walk pass any individual or group enjoying a good puff, I try to hold my breath until a certain distance has been reached.

Over here where I am, cigarettes are ridiculously expensive, at least in my opinion. The money could have been spent on otaku-related goods, but I know some smokers find it very difficult to kick the habit, and I don't blame them (not much, I hope).