Anime of 2018

2018 was the start of Netflix original anime such as Devilman: Crybaby and Castlevania. It had one of the best seasons in a while with an impressive number of older adaptations and well liked series.

My personal list of anime series and movies dwindle for every year that passes, maybe next year will be different.
Devilman: Crybaby - There's a very stark contract when you compare Devilman to the contemporary anime today. And while I do enjoy a breath of fresh air, it's not without its short comings. Which is namely this, it's very preachy. Regardless, I did enjoy Devilman quite a lot and I hope that Netflix can produce more adaptations of older series that would otherwise not see the light of day but also give more adult oriented content with how gory and sex-filled Devilman is. 7/10
Megalo Box - As a big fan of Ashita no Joe, I was skeptical but optimistic of this new adaptation but it turned out very well. It has a distinct retro look and feel. The pacing was fast, which I liked. The changes they did from the original manga to this re-imagining of Joe were meaningful and made sense. But I wasn't a fan of the ending, I think they rushed the last few episodes and didn't give it the punch the manga is so known for. 8/10
Boku no Hero Academia 3rd Season - I don't have too many issues with this adaptation of BnHA. I think it does what people expect but never exceeds. 7/10
High Score Girl - I only found out about this series recently and I'm exactly the target audience for it. As a big fan of fighting games and primarily older ones, this really catered to my interests. And they didn't a great job at showing the older games and I heard they even got pros to play them so they're actually doing the things you should be doing. This is the strongest aspect of this anime and what differentiates it from the manga. But apart from the old videos games and how they use them, there's much else to it. It's an above average romcom. 7/10
Chuukan Kanriroku Tonegawa - A comedy Kaiji spinoff. I love Kaiji and this is surprisingly funny. Not much else to say. 7/10

Movies
Sadly none of this has come out on bluray yet but I hope I can see them soon.
Non Non Biyori Movie: Vacation
Zoku Owarimonogatari
Liz to Aoi Tori
2019 is looking to be a great year for Shounen Jump with Bokuben, The Promised Neverland and Dr. Stone all getting a new adaptation. The Promised Neverland being the 2nd highest scoring manga series in WSJ ToC this year with Dr.Stone at number 4.

We're also getting a lot new seasons with some of the biggest series from previous years like One punch Man S2, Attack on Titan S3 pt 2, Chihayafuru S3 and Mob Psycho 100 S2.

There's also some smallar manga that's getting an adaptation with the likes of Hitoribocchi no â—‹â—‹ Seikatsu and Ueno-san wa Bukiyou in the following Winter Season.

And finally F/SN: Heaven's Feel - II, a new take on City Hunter, Makoto Shinkai is premiering his new film Tenki no Ko and Masaaki Yuasa is coming back as well with his film Kimi to, Nami ni Noretara.
KogXXV Loves a good plot
Just a few other personal standouts to me this year.

Overlord Season 2 was one of the more anticipated seasons I wanted since I loved the LN. Really disappoint that the budget is so cheap on it that CGI omg.

Goblin Slayer was surprisingly well done imo even if there are some strange CGI. That first episode however can be really out of place since it goes a lot more usual lighthearted anime stuff then just the outright rape in the beginning.

Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken however is probably my best surprise this season. CGI is very well done, story flows fairly well, the animation is very energetic and lively, and the comedy works very well. I also have to commend the MC who I believe is a rookie VN. May not be the best anime of the year but with the concept seemingly like Isekai LN trash it honestly has so much love and effort put into it that I cant help but enjoy every minute of it.
Good times