Sharings~

Pages 12Next
Here are some of my drawings. I normally draw them in my free time (especially boring classes). so i apologize for the shitty line background for some of the drawings.

Some people say my drawing style is really weird
I draw the eyes first, then the hair, then the face, then the body.
I don't draw the 'skeletons' of the characters.

Anyway, here are some of my drawings. Any comment/suggestion is very welcome(yes, i know that their faces tend to be out of proportion).

Spoiler:
(i know the hands are too thin. my hand drawing skills are on par with my dragon slaying skills... which is >0)
(Edit: There is a mouth and nose actually, i just shaded it in too lightly with my pencil.)
Forum Image: https://www.fakku.net/image-404/images/198162-REYOART.jpg

(Sorry for the lines. i drew them on writing paper. And yes, the collar is sorta out of proportion. this is my first guy drawing. i always found girls easier to draw. I actually got this drawing after attempting to draw a girl, then erasing the back hair. i ended up with a boyish face, so i drew a boyish body.)
(Edit: The lines were actually pure black. it turned rainbow after scanning it. quite nice actually =)
Forum Image: https://www.fakku.net/image-404/images/198163-48ZO09G.jpg

(Drawn during a very boring lesson. As you have noticed, i usually hide my hands behind any object that can hide stuff. i dont know how to draw hands...)
Forum Image: https://www.fakku.net/image-404/images/198165-867XLYB.jpg

This is literally my first sideways drawing. as i don't draw skeletons, i normally don't even attempt to draw sideways characters. i think this turned out pretty nicely, not counting the hands, which i had to hide in the pocket, and the mouth and nose, which i don't know how to draw)
Forum Image: https://www.fakku.net/image-404/images/198164-3X7ZWED.jpg

Will work on coloring them when i have the spare time.
Suggestions are welcome. Any advice is very much appreciated.
(Especially on how to draw hands, shoes, drawings at an angle) =)

Hope you people in Fakku like my drawings.
I think its time to start drawing them skeleton / stickman figures to make your anatomy more accurate if even close to what you had in mind. There's no perfect anatomy but at least follow the right curves and the length of the body parts.

If you're going for the chibi type then your stuff is close to it.
Twillusion wrote...
I draw the eyes first, then the hair, then the face, then the body.
I don't draw the 'skeletons' of the characters.

This is the worst thing you could ever do. Working from the detail to the big picture ends up wrong 95% of the times. Especially when you lack experience in what you're drawing.

Try to first draw the general shape of what you pictured in your mind, and then gradually include the details. Sure, you can add details without having layed out the big picture, but you should at least have done that to the part you're adding detail to, so that it doesn't end up looking weird with the rest of the drawing.

No need to go for a skeleton frame like Juggle suggests, but at least draw the general shapes of the several parts of the body, like the head, the torso, the arms, etc.

Of course, just knowing this will not shift the way of doing things overnight. We all will go or have already went through that phase. And sooner or later your way of drawing things on paper will correct itself, so don't stress about it too much. Just keep drawing.
ps: I still do the same mistake quite often when I'm sketching on paper, it's involuntary. I end up getting so involved in a detail that I forget how it should look with the rest of the picture.

This leads me to something you ask for: advice. As you know, in drawing there are no shortcuts. There is no way to instantly know how to draw, and that's just how it works. And it's tough. It's all about dedication and persistence. But there are ways to make the learning process faster.
> Take close attention to various drawing styles. Watch various animes, mangas, comics, everything. Study how people draw and try to do it yourself. And I don't mean tracing.
> Whenever you don't know how to draw something, like say, a side view of a shoe, find some visual reference of it. It's extremely easy to find reference pictures on Google pictures. Or you could also find a shoe of yours and use it as reference. Reference is everywhere, we just have to look for it and use it.
> Force yourself to draw. Probably the toughest one, but you gotta do it sometimes in order to improve or get over a slump.
> Get good tools, they can make the world of difference. Get yourself a nice sharp mechanical pencil, some white rubbers, a blank paper sketch book and it'll do you a lot better. And then there's all kinds of things to use depending on what you want to do. Black markers, colored markers, watercolors, digital tablets, etc.
> Catalog your progress by saving all of your sketch books. By constantly looking back you'll be able to see your progress and it can be really motivational.

And that's all I can think of at the moment.

Regarding your drawings, I can see a lot of inexperience. But like I said before, with some dedication (nothing extreme like drawing 10 characters a day. Just one a day is fine), you will improve a lot in no time.
meh i do the same it just depends wat fits ur way of doing things so it doesn't always turn out wrong kuro, know ur facts first
KanuUnchou wrote...
meh i do the same it just depends wat fits ur way of doing things so it doesn't always turn out wrong kuro, know ur facts first

If there's one thing I didn't do on my post is talk out of my ass. Basically everything I said came from experience. And I did say that method doesn't always go wrong, I said about 95% of the time it does. I bet a few people will agree with me.
Kuroneko1/2 wrote...
KanuUnchou wrote...

If there's one thing I didn't do on my post is talk out of my ass. Basically everything I said came from experience. And I did say that method doesn't always go wrong, I said about 95% of the time it does. I bet a few people will agree with me.

sure it came from ur experience but is that just urs experience? again know ur facts its not even close to 60% so 95% is so off... besides Ive known and still know some awesome artist who draw that way.
Alright, let's get some votes then. Here's the poll I just made. Everybody please vote in it.
lol that just means everyone on fakku will take ur side which wont prove anything since I basically told u a fact and u just like to be indenial about it lolololol
If you really are right Kanu, you shouldn't have to worry about anyone taking Kuros side, everyone here is quite keen on pointing out mistakes.

But I want you to tell me where you got your facts, show me a quote from the book/teacher/website or w/e that says that about 40% of the worlds artists start of drawing details and later moves on to the body. As it goes against all traditional teachings of art I've ever heard of.

Kuro is right, and you're just fucking stupid.

Now, back on topic:

As it has been said you really should start drawing "skeletons" or stick-figures for your drawings. Especially since you say that you want to learn to draw form an angle this is a crucial part. Getting the anatomy and the proportions of the character comes first, then you can move on to the details.
Wait, what? Why would people "take my side"? There's no "my side" here. It's just what people think is the best way to do things.

I said that by drawing the details first and the rough shapes after, things go wrong about 95% of the times. But you claimed it doesn't go wrong nearly that often, and at most 60% of the times. And since I find that a little hard to believe judging from my experience, I decided to make a poll and see what other people think.

What would really be cool would be to have a really experienced person tell us what he thinks. He should definitely have a better view of things than you or me. I still think the poll is fairly valid though.
baddies listen up!

Its just wat Ive seen that's all so you don't need to do the basic shapes and stuff and like I said before I known some artist and still do that draw the way I do so kuro is off and is quite wrong for saying that drawing from eyes to hair to other parts turns out bad... just his opinion or wat ever it is so false and those that believe that its true are just dumb in the head and don't actually see are just biased on there P.O.V. tbh all of my art have been from drawing eyes to hair to body, etc..
FML everything I just posted got deleted AGHHHHH! I'm just going summarize what I typed... there are somethings that I would disagree or add to what Kuro said.

-Do not try to observe and replicate somebody else's style, you may learn how to draw an arm based off of somebody else's drawing but what if the drawing looks good, but is inaccurate, stylized, or even both. There are some exceptions to this like the anatomy books of the artists back then which I don't remember exactly who are some right now except for Andrew Loomis.

-Reference will help always, poses, perspective, references in general is very helpful and is recommended to be used most of the time.

-Don't force yourself to draw in a slump, in any other case it's okay but not in a slump. Stress and aggravation can stack when trying to draw during a slump, light-hearted and simple sketches is okay but do not take yourself seriously. I actually stopped drawing for months due to the stress I built up thanks to my slump, it's best to just take a break and relax.

-Good tools does not make a world of difference, some are helpful, others are just money traps and usually just puts you in a state of mind that you will do better with better tools. A sketchbook is helpful because of it's usually larger size and clean pages, but not a necessity. A tablet is will make digital drawing significantly less time-consuming saving you those minutes or hours fighting and getting used to the mouse. Good pens, and pencils? probably will help a bit, but making enough difference to warrant a cost of over 5-10 bucks is not worth it.

I really don't care about the poll, I know friends who start with skeletons, others with basic shapes, those who do whatever they want and still make it look amazing. How you start your drawing is up to you, whatever can make your drawing looks better and save you more time. Having a skeleton and a basic shape is useful and often heavily recommended but is it a rule? a law? no it isn't. Don't lump everyone together.

btw Kanu can you give me a link to your da? I think I saw you post it before but I don't remember in which thread...
Tegumi "im always cute"
KanuUnchou wrote...
baddies listen up!

Calling other people 'baddies' is a great way to open up your point. Maybe you should do us all a favor and off yourself so we don't have to listen to any more of your inane ramblings.
Tegumi wrote...
KanuUnchou wrote...
baddies listen up!

Calling other people 'baddies' is a great way to open up your point. Maybe you should do us all a favor and off yourself so we don't have to listen to any more of your inane ramblings.

*giggles* Tegumi, you baddie.
Tegumi wrote...
KanuUnchou wrote...
baddies listen up!

lolumad?
Tegumi "im always cute"
KanuUnchou wrote...
lolumad?

Not quite as mad as you are retarded.

@MRG: Generally I try to avoid conflict with people in the Art section, as it screws up someone's thread in one way or another, but KanuUnchou simply needs to be called out on his nonsense.
Damn this place turned into a a mini-conflict...
Word, make love not war.
lol orly? trying to point out something that's false is retarded?

baddie l2read
I think you guys are misunderstanding each other ...

This is the worst thing you could ever do. Working from the detail to the big picture ends up wrong 95% of the times. Especially when you lack experience in what you're drawing.

Kuro didn't mean that as a fact with a 100% possibility, the remaining 5% would fall on the other artists that Kanu mentioned that can do it pretty well. ( Well, I guess 95% is a little too much of a comparison maybe 70/30 )

Like MRG said, the one Kuro mentioned isn't the universal rule. Everyone is free to do whatever they want specially amateur ones who doesn't have any money to enroll in an art school. But I'm not saying Kuro says is wrong, it just would help the Twillusion to have a better understanding about anatomy than the one he/she is using now.
Pages 12Next