Idiot's Guide to Tokyo's Harmful Books Regulation

Today I bring you something a little different. Some of you may be aware of the recent amendment (Tokyo's Bill 156) passed in Tokyo restricting the sale of "harmful publications". This has widely been misinterpreted online as the death of ecchi manga and hentai or the "anime and manga ban". Though the bill is something that should be opposed due to it's attack on freedom of speech, its implications were greatly exaggerated by the English speaking community.

In response to the bill manga creator Takeshi Nogami (Sailor-fuku to JÅ«sensha, Panzer fräulein ALTESEISEN), anime writer and setting advisor Takaaki Suzuki (Strike Witches, Last Exile), and translator Dan Kanemitsu (new Evangelion films, Love Hina) collaborated on a doujinshi about the amendment. It mainly involves Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara who strongly supported the bill and signed it into law. There are also Japanese essays at the end of the doujinshi which I could not find translations for (if you have the translations, post them!) Click the image below to check it out.

Oh, and it's in English.
tokyoban.jpg
Just finished reading this, and it was awesome, being myself an amateur on Pacific Rim relevant issues, and being a hardcore manga/anime fan, I couldn't let this slip, thanks for uploading. And regarding the essays at the end of the manga, just give me 1 or 2 years and perhaps I can translate them :P (Shame older posts got screwed T_T).
To Jacob,
What's your opinion?

[size=10]Just wanna hear the person who posted this (: [/h]
I just finished reading the manga its awesome, but what in the fucking hell a bill pass restricting sales of manga and anime with/without a more adult stories this suck so much.
:). Love ishihara. Gave us so much to RAGE about :)
Hahaha that was pretty awesome, definitely got hooked when you mentioned it had the big wigs behind Last Exile and the Evangelion films. To bad the last few pages aren't translated though :(, wish I could help there.
I loathe this bill... but oh well.. japan is a prosperous country. who am i to tell that the goverment is sick.
I remember finding this scan a couple months ago, reading through it, and really enjoying it. The image dumper provided a link to a translated essay, which I believe may be what you are looking for, Jacob.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/editorial/2010-12-28
o-o right...so stupid question from a person who happens to be dumber then a monkey, apparently.(since even in manga form it was to complicated for me.) is this gonna effect me buying h-manga? because I gotta stock up if it does.
Loki The Trickster wrote...
o-o right...so stupid question from a person who happens to be dumber then a monkey, apparently.(since even in manga form it was to complicated for me.) is this gonna effect me buying h-manga? because I gotta stock up if it does.

I don't think so. Unfortunately, the geniuses at SankakuComplex gave a lot of people the wrong idea and it was parroted through many of the 'legit' news sources. Things that are 18+ are already adult in nature anyway and I see no reason why it would affect anything already in this demographic.
Wasn't this all in response to Illusion's rape games...at least what started it? Or is that more misinformation from Sankaku?
If they are going to ban hentai and ecchi then they are pretty much digging their own grave( there's nothing more dangerous than an army of pissed off otakus)
I'm gonna particapate in the boycott at the Anime Contents Expo in Tokyo on March 26-27.
"Idiot's Guide to Tokyo's Harmful Books Regulation"
Verdict:
Loved it...Red it repeatedly for 4 times,it really got my attention... :3