Who Plays Starcraft?

You have done 2 threads and both of them are in wrong place :/ Also the only way of getting good at playing games is playing games. But not everyone gets good at it, some people just suck at playing.
And guys look down on girls who play games, because of the girl gamers who feel the need to tell everyone they are girls who play games. So, if you dont want them to look down on you, dont tell them you're a girl? When I play online I dont tell people my gender, because I want to be treated as one of the guys.
Competitive SC2 player here.

It's very possible to play SC2 at a high level casually, regardless of your gender of course =P. A good example is megumixbear, I think she was High Masters last season, and quite popular because of obvious reasons =_= (asian girl playing games herp derp).

If you want to get better at this game here is what you absolutely need to do. Everyone will tell you to play more. You and I know that is far too broad and vague to follow. What you need to do first and foremost is to learn all the build orders for the race you're playing for all your match ups. Learn them and practice them until you've got them perfectly memorized to the point you can do it in your sleep. Then work on your mechanics, macro should be your priority if you're not at least in diamond (even master players have shit macro tbh =P). You can't win the game without an army that is why macro is important.

Then watch a ton of player streams of pro players. Take out a notebook and write down their timings for things like gas (extremely important) and try to figure out when and why they do things like attack or expand. Most of the time if you go into a pro player stream chat, there will be people around who will be glad to answer your questions. Watching streams and viewing replays is what you need to do to quickly build up your game sense and decision making skills, which in starcraft 2 is a matter of life or death, making it a beautiful game of intelligence.

On the note of playing a lot, the reason why you want to play a lot is because you want to experience all the crazy timings and all-ins people may throw at you. As you play more and more you'll be less likely to get killed by the cheddar cheese you find in the lower leagues =P. Not everything is written down on paper for you to study, so you have to be out there to experience it yourself. You also need those ladder games to watch your losses in replays and find out the flaws in your play.

If do it right you'll find yourself doing a bit of a routine of studying pro players to keep up with the meta game, laddering hard, watching your losses, and having fun and practice with your friends.

GL
Practice, a lot!

Try to understand the pawns you're using and their value in combat.

Keep in mind: time, strategy, and planning.

Learn from better players.
one tip aviod those Koreans
meh Mass upgraded marines with shields and tech.
I'm going to blindly assume SC2 here.

Only way to get better quickly is to find a good build order and just practice it to a razor edge. Most players cannot handle the full use of a fairly small economy and it'll give you a good sense of how powerful spending all your resources is.

However, developing SC2 skill is more of an exercise of putting things into muscle memory and instinct. Snugtrition gives you the road-map to long-term success and it's good advice to follow. (It also makes the game as a whole more entertaining.)

Better yet, we could just practice if you want. Ladder's fun and all, but I like the casual learning environment a little more right about now.
Ive been trying to get better with my builds, but the only build I can do right is the unorthodox cannon rush
lol, just think up a good strategy.. its called Real-time Strategy for a reason

and about the condenscending, get used to it.. best you could do is beat the crap out of them

btw, i prefer to play defensive and build up defenses in case any players start off with rush attacks

Tips~!!

marines can be a tricky problem if they arent being killed by splash damage.. imagine, tons of marines with medics.. all those marines using stimpacks and medics healing them would be a pain in the ass if you cant take them all out at once

zergling rush can be reppeled by your builders

whenever you attack make sure you dont send in waves (but it kinda is fun irritating the enemy, plus you get to see what he's got every now and then) send 1 large group to his front and another in the side (better if they are flying units)

as much as possible flank the enemy

and last, practice all the time and yeah, make a good strategy
watch the streams of tournaments and high level players as well. that's how I learned most of my stuff.

But, I find that since I am a woman, I am constantly feeling condescended by the guys I play with

do you tell them you are a woman? Never in my games I had someone ask for ASL. Just the usuall 'GL HF' and the 'GG'. Sometime a little small talk.

find someone who you can practice with and can teach you a few things. I have 2 Diamond Leageu players with me and they keep yelling in my ear through Teamspeak what to do. Usually 'you have 400 minerals, you're dead!'. Though they've been yelling that much less nowadays.

and this just depens on the person but lately I have music playing in the background that's louder then the game and I play much better (the notifications such as 'under attack' still come trough clear)

Enable some of the options in the menu. For example when I'm building I have the grid on and the health bars are always shown.

learn the hotkeys. This is something I'm working on myself. helf shaving of precious seconds in the game.