Is perfection an ideal or a possibility?

Pages Prev12

What is perfection?

Total Votes : 60
FinalBoss #levelupyourgrind
My Main Opinion: Perfection is Overrated
My poll choice: What is this, I don't even...
-Why?: I believe perfection is a possibility for Immortals, but an ideal for Mortals.
My Sub Opinion: People need conflict in order to feel "alive". Conflict is natural so long as there is "balance". Too little and you self destruct, too much and you self destruct. I heard a story about someone who appeared to be "perfect", to make a long story short, he commited suicide.
-Types of conflict: Person Vs Nature, Person Vs Person, Person Vs Self
My Conflict (in case you didn't know already): Person Vs Self
-Elaboration: The only enemy I have in this world is myself. "Realizing" this also makes me my own guardian angel, because I can keep myself in check. However, since I consider myself my biggest critic, I end up taking myself too seriously. So when I make an attempt to challenge other people's ideals (Even though they are right in thinking the way they do), I end up hurting myself instead (Because being mean is never really my intention). People like me never have an intention to hurt others, but when they get picked on by people who fall under the "Person Vs Person" conflict it ends up being a "fight or flight" response. People like me are screwed no matter what choice they make:
-Choosing "Fight": Doing this goes against an outcast's nature, so if they choose to do so, then they better have a plan to save themeself from "suicide" or going bat shit crazy and shooting up the fucking schools. The best way to deal with faggotry by "normal" people is to fuck with their heads (Reverse Psychology). If someone tells you to "die", then tell them "I'm sorry for being alive" rather than "fuck you". Keep turning their negative energy into a positive one. Although you have to be careful taking things too far irl. If you know you can't defend yourself from someone who is stronger than you, then choose flight and run like hell (even if you get called a pussy).
-Choosing "Flight": Speaking of pussies, running away from a fight is seen as a sign of "cowardice" by "normal" people (Normal = pussies btw). Since that is a popular message given by "normal" people who tends to solve "violence with violence" (which has been a theme passed down ever since the time our ancestor's biggest conflict was Person Vs Nature), it will always be apart of our true nature. Thats because behind all the logical theories we come up with, we're just animals trying to survive. We lack a lot of the features more dominant animals have. For some reason, instead of evolving physically (to the point where we can stand up against our natural preditors), we evolved mentally (Nature's plan of having diversity I suppose). Anyways, if you don't want to get beaten to a pulp then choose "flight", if you're "too legit to quit" and don't have physique to back up your words, then you deserve that beat down to put your dumbass attitude in check. I'm not gonna say that some people deserve to die, but if you're gonna ignore common sense that much just to protect your pride, then you're only gonna suffer the consequences. You better be strong enough to handle them.

Final Thoughts (Inb4 Jerry Springer):
We all have this naive perception of what it means to be perfect. I look at 2D characters and think to myself "If only they were real". However, if such a character was real then she wouldn't be human. Yet, some people watch true shit like Evangelion and get butthurt by the message because it doesn't fit their ideals; its message is too real. Those type of people watch fictional programming to escape reality and immerse themself in fantasy in hopes to get inspired to face a brand new day. They want to be constantly reminded of the same predictable morals that give them some sort of false sense of comfort, when the real messages they should be taking to heart is to "accept you for who you are". I believe people who get too close to perfection begin to realize that they have no one they can relate to, what takes so much effort for the average person to achieve something takes less than a week for them to achieve. They start to wonder "whats the point of being so perfect if all its gonna do is give me "fake" praises rather than "true" acceptance?". What do I mean by fake you ask? Go re-read all the BS propaganda about "Stars" that are at the top of their game. Yeah sure, most of the public enjoy the top stars' performances, but people also get a sick sense of enjoyment to watch them fall from grace (RIP: Michale Jackson). They feel relieved that those people aren't really perfect and feel much better about themselves for being flawed (*cough* narcisism *cough*). In closing, expect the unexpected and take things for what they are. If you can't do that, then do something about your life and make a difference. People usually fear and envy the loners, they overlook the fact that they are the first ones to think outside the box. Without the loner, you wouldn't have all the good shit like science, music, art, animation, games, etc.

Sauce: In case you missed the hints, this is an opinion based on philosophical reasoning. If you want empirical evidence to support that kind of theory, then go do your own damn research (Although I'll be happy to explain to you the difference between a Belief, a philosophical theory, and a theory based on empirical evidence. I'll explain how to handle those types of ideas as simply as possible.)
Kiss-Shot Soba-Scans Staff
Sprite wrote...
Perfection is based on perception. What may be perfect in the eyes of one may not be perfect in the eyes of another. However there are physical objects that have the reached the level of perfection/completion/pureness by definition.

This basically, Perfection is completely subjective. Although I disagree on the physical object thing. It's the same with a flaw really, that's also subjective. What may be seen as a flaw to one can be seen as perfection to another.

Really a lot things in life are purely subjective :P
Masongate wrote...
The strive for perfection is what makes us grow as a society and without it we lose purpose, i don't believe perfection is possible i just think its something we persue.

Yeah, completely agree. Our desire to reach this ideal as "perfection" makes us that much more efficient. Like a goal in life individually.

Spoiler:
johnny_username wrote...
Sprite wrote...
Perfection is based on perception. What may be perfect in the eyes of one may not be perfect in the eyes of another. However there are physical objects that have the reached the level of perfection/completion/pureness by definition.

The answer that I most agree with minus the last statement, you basically contradicted yourself. the truth is that so long as there is more then one opinion nothing will ever be perfect because its a purely personal and objective descriptor.

the perfect murder to one is senseless violence to another.

the perfect movie to one is an overhyped mistake to another.

humans mix up words, ideas and things all the time. perfection is an idea described by a word but that doesn't mean its changed. ideas can not be proven wrong until shared and criticized so until you share your idea that your girlfriend is perfect, you'll never be wrong.

Subjectivity is what created the existence or definition of perfection, is what you are saying right? Gives a whole new light to what I see the word "perfection" holds lol.

Thanks for the input everyone. Love the opinions.

@FinalBoss
Well thought out and very excellent post on your opinion. Really enjoyed reading it. Kind of felt like giving up after my eyes skipped lines and I was like wtf?, but I made it to the end.
You can not see what is perfect if you have no contrasting imperfection.
As they say, like beauty, perfection is in the eye of the beholder. What is perfection to me, is not going to be perfection to the rich real estate biggot.
Perfection in my opinion is NEVER attainable from my experience of playing Civilization 2 as a child, Something will always fuck up your beautiful plans.

Anything and everything in your life will never be totally `perfect`, In your garden there`ll always be a slug, Your house will always have some kind of fuck up or something that can be improved upon.

I feel that things in my life can never be perfect... My life can only keep improving!
perfection is much like beauty. we look up to it in awe because we cannot achieve it. it is unreachable and thats what makes it perfect. when you reach and understand beauty its no longer the same to you- it no longer fascinates you. i think the concept of perfection follows the same logic.

But i think its also a valid point that an individual can identify something as perfect. But thats more likely in daily life. Like when we combine our clothes well or finish an awesome essay we just say- Perfect! its a lesser grade of perfect but its perfect non the less :>
Perfection is an ideal that people claim exist as a way to strive to be better and improve. There is no perfection, only improvements.
Both, because to one person, he might think of no possible improvements but on the other, hand someone will always think it is shit.

There is not one idea or material object that every one loves.
Quick answer? Both.

It's an ideal, in that 'perfection' is what 'we' see as perfect (we, in this sense, being used as an umbrella term for society).

It's possible if you direct it towards something simple. A line can be perfectly straight. A simple direction can be followed perfectly. When you start making it a more complicated rubric, though, shit starts getting goofy.

Take humans, for instance; our idea of beauty is based on computable mathematical averages. Check out Face Research some time. But that's to most of us; sociopathic narcissists consider the highest beauty in people whose facial ratios match their own.

So, yeah; shit is complicated, but only if it's complicated. It is what it is.
Everyone has a definition for what perfection is but sometimes it can't be attain.
Perfection is an ideal and we can't stamp it out of our civilization. Many of our sciences depend on a lot of perfect, ideal situations.

Example: a sphere is perfectly round with the distance from any point on the surface to the center (radius) being equal; 2+2=4 every single fucking time you try it, etc

It is healthy and normal to strive for perfection. Some will be closer than others (Michael Jordan being the perfect, ideal basketball player, Gary Kasparov being the perfect, ideal chess player, etc). As long as a person realizes that no one is and has ever been perfect and that perfection can be subjective, then they could avoid unhealthy obsessions of perfection and just live.
The perfection is an ideal because people haven't the same definitionn about perfection. Something can be perfect for you but not for someone else.
Pages Prev12