Realization. ( Final step becoming mature )

Pages 12Next
Voting for this poll has ended.

When did you come to realize your love for your family?

Total Votes : 33
When I was young I never really knew what love to my family meant. I mean I got my ass whupped from my Dad and my Mom sometimes really pisses me off and my 2 bros and older sis, well lets say we aren't the perfect family.

But then at the highest point of our lives we gave everything up we worked hard for and ended up in the pits, from owning a good small-time company in Colorado to living in small rooms in Germany. They all flew back and had no choice but to leave me behind, and I lived alone for the past 3 years frustrating over my life.

But I had ALOT of time in my hands and thought about my life thoroughly and carefully. In the time later I came to understanding my Father and his ways with me, and why my Mom always scolds me with something in her hands, and why my siblings were what they were, and so, I started understanding them and eventually, it came to the point where we all understood each other, and ended up appreciating each other. I now realize that self pity was a horrible habit and I changed my ways and wanted to be a leader, so I always talk to them, helped them out with advices, and eventually learned to truly love them, with all my heart, and since then, my love for them grows bigger with each passing day.

If you ever do love your family, then when and How did you come to realize just how special they are to you?

If you'd like, you may share your stories with me since discussing about love and family matters will help us all out.

Is your love the love you have been looking for in your family?
I do love my family and friends and yes they did teach me alot.
Then , they begin to die , one by one.
So in my drunkin rage. I realized that growing up means you must also die as well.
mOOnYpiE wrote...
I do love my family and friends and yes they did teach me alot.
Then , they begin to die , one by one.
So in my drunkin rage. I realized that growing up means you must also die as well.

But you do love them, so that means you have no regrets when they die or when you die, because you loved each other.

I certainly won't have regrets leaving this world about my Family, in fact i'll be happy because of how everything turned out by now.

Also, yes, we all must die in some point, it's inevitable, but also natural.
There is no real love in my family, just mutual respect and understanding.
Will we be sad when someone dies? Absolutely.
But short of that no one really bothers to talk to anyone else or even really needs to. We are all grown and living our own lives, completely independant of one another. And it works for us.
I love all of my family, and I'd die for any single one of them.

Strange thing is though, I don't feel like I'd be upset if they died. I imagine the feeling of them being dead and I just get nothing back. It's the same from when my cousins have died, I didn't feel upset about them; however, I was really upset and cried when my friends dad died.
I think this actually belongs in LRR, considering it has to do with Love -- The familiar kind.

This post is going to be super-duper-extra-mega TMI so please unspoil at your own discretion.

I don't advise it. ._.

Spoiler:
My grandmother was a devout christian woman who was super into 'health food', I guess. My mum was molested as a toddler, and raped as a young girl. I only recently came to find out that my Grandmother tried everything to put her back together but for some reason my mum never responded to any of it.

My mum never grew up properly. She never stuck with therapy as a kid and refused it as an adult so my mom at 25 turned out to be your run-of-the-mill stupid white girl.
She begat me at this age with a very dubious character; [who for the entirety of my life has been an unknown shadowy figure. I prefer it that way].

So she cuts ties with said dubious character and lies to him, saying she's going back home for college, and moves back in with my Grandmother. Dubious character returns, knocking/kicking? down our front door and my Grandmother [bless her heart, at 5-foot-nothing] marches up to his rotund [and extremely tall] person and proceeds to verbally lay down the law about how he wasn't getting me and to leave me and my mother be or so-help-her-she'd-unleash-some-shit.

Dubious character leaves, I live happily with my awesomely-maternal Grandmother [whom I had a very close relationship with, Mum was never around and never held me.]

I started developing kind of funny, balling my fists like a monkey to rise from a sitting position to standing. I was diagnosed with poly-articular Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Sometime around now is when my mother managed to give birth to another little girl. I don't remember anything about her or her father, but my mom gave her up because she couldn't afford another baby with how much I'd cost to raise, having what I have.

When I was about three and a half my mum got a wild hair up her ass that I needed a father, and she proceeded to meet a guy at church and proposed to him 3 months later. That's when I met him. He made me kind of uncomfortable.

So we moved in to my 'new father's house' and it was 6 years of my mother hiding in her bedroom, avoiding me and eventually my brother. Stepdad was abusive, but knowing what I know now about his upbringing, he could've done something very worse to me, and he had the opportunity. He didn't take it. I can see moments where he held back. I know he was very sick [bipolar disorder. both him and my mother] but I think some part of him knew what was too far. I think I can forgive him soon, for that reason.

So my mother makes a bad decision [as per us'] and decides to put myself and my baby brother in the care of a psychopath. [I was told some things. They weren't good things.] who did what psychopaths tend to. .. Hurt little kids. :/ I really..

Eventually my mother listened to me about my stepfather and put me in an after-school program. [Boys&Girls' Club]. I didn't really like it there, because all the kids in that town were being fucked up somehow [It was an extremely awful neighborhood] and so of course they were all little shits. I was chubby so they made fun of me, but I had so much bigger shit to deal with that I never cried over them. I was too busy trying to keep my brother and I alive.

Unfortunately my mother's decision to put me in an after-school club spared me. Remaining in my babysitter's care, my brother did not. I warned her many times but only when the forensics came back did she believe me. When I came home for the funeral she pushed me away and told me 'not now.'

My grandmother, somehow sensing with her ultra-mother-senses stepped in and took me for a few days. I remember laying on her couch and her running out to me. I'd been screaming, I guess. I was really out of it.
[size=2]I'd just had to say goodbye to my baby brother because some dipshit white girl who didn't know how to be a parent ignored her daughter and let some awful thing happen. [/h]

So after a while I went back to school and the counselor was I guess, told to speak with me [I can't imagine why] and I ended up [after a lot of coaxing] opening up about my stepdad's abuse. She called CPS and my mother was ordered to take me and move out. So we moved out.

We ended up at a shitty little town outside seattle. I hated it there, my mother lost her shit. She stopped buying my medicine and my grandmother once more stepped in and took care of me for a while.

-I lost a lot of weight.
-I got physical therapy. In hindsight this was actually a stupid idea, my left ankle is nonexistent.
-But i for some reason missed my mother. I hated how she treated me but I'd just lost my brother so I felt like the world was trying to take everything from me all at once.

I moved back in with her. Things didn't get better. She met a guy named Carl. Then they did a little bit.

She got on some meds.

She got on some more.

She got on even more.

My adolescence was spent trying to cope with loss and scars and abandonment and trust issues while my mother popped pills and hoarded food down in her den of denial.

She got me on Vicodin. I became dependent, started abusing it for escapist reasons. I had to enroll in online school because my campus was too large for me to walk. I was in too much pain.

I had one good year, though. Freshman year was nice.. at school, and online anyways.

Things progressively deteriorated until I was rescued by someone. I ended up here, at 18. I starte putting myself back together.

My relationship with my grandmother had been strained after my mom moved out. My mum would try to tell me that my grandmother was ashamed of us, because she smoked and didn't go to church and 'was a failure'. I believed her.

I recently came back into contact with my Grandmother. We had a lot of heartfelt talks. Lots of tears were shed. Lots of hiccuping 'I love you's' and 'I am so sorry's'. I realized that the whole time, she was hoping I or my mum or both of us would reach out when we needed her. We never did.

I love that woman to bits. She is republican and conservative as fuck but damn it, if she would not die for any one of her children/descendants.

I'm in a really weird, new place in my life but even if my mum never gets help, I still have one hell of a woman who has my back. I also have the love of my life. He has a very close family, his grandparents are actually still together. Which, completely blows my mind. His parents are a little nuts but in a different way.

I may not have a lot, but what I've got counts for quite a great deal to me. A year and a half ago, I hated my life and felt I had nothing. I know now that's the farthest from the truth.

TLDR:

It's long, it's complicated. I have a crazy self-absorbed mom, no dad, a dead sibling and one somewhere out there over the rainbow, but a really amazing Grandmother, an incredible boyfriend, and a new family with people who actually care about and do things for each other.
Lollikittie wrote...
I think this actually belongs in LRR, considering it has to do with Love -- The familiar kind.

This post is going to be super-duper-extra-mega TMI so please unspoil at your own discretion.

I don't advise it. ._.

Spoiler:
My grandmother was a devout christian woman who was super into 'health food', I guess. My mum was molested as a toddler, and raped as a young girl. I only recently came to find out that my Grandmother tried everything to put her back together but for some reason my mum never responded to any of it.

My mum never grew up properly. She never stuck with therapy as a kid and refused it as an adult so my mom at 25 turned out to be your run-of-the-mill stupid white girl.
She begat me at this age with a very dubious character; [who for the entirety of my life has been an unknown shadowy figure. I prefer it that way].

So she cuts ties with said dubious character and lies to him, saying she's going back home for college, and moves back in with my Grandmother. Dubious character returns, knocking/kicking? down our front door and my Grandmother [bless her heart, at 5-foot-nothing] marches up to his rotund [and extremely tall] person and proceeds to verbally lay down the law about how he wasn't getting me and to leave me and my mother be or so-help-her-she'd-unleash-some-shit.

Dubious character leaves, I live happily with my awesomely-maternal Grandmother [whom I had a very close relationship with, Mum was never around and never held me.]

I started developing kind of funny, balling my fists like a monkey to rise from a sitting position to standing. I was diagnosed with poly-articular Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis.

Sometime around now is when my mother managed to give birth to another little girl. I don't remember anything about her or her father, but my mom gave her up because she couldn't afford another baby with how much I'd cost to raise, having what I have.

When I was about three and a half my mum got a wild hair up her ass that I needed a father, and she proceeded to meet a guy at church and proposed to him 3 months later. That's when I met him. He made me kind of uncomfortable.

So we moved in to my 'new father's house' and it was 6 years of my mother hiding in her bedroom, avoiding me and eventually my brother. Stepdad was abusive, but knowing what I know now about his upbringing, he could've done something very worse to me, and he had the opportunity. He didn't take it. I can see moments where he held back. I know he was very sick [bipolar disorder. both him and my mother] but I think some part of him knew what was too far. I think I can forgive him soon, for that reason.

So my mother makes a bad decision [as per us'] and decides to put myself and my baby brother in the care of a psychopath. [I was told some things. They weren't good things.] who did what psychopaths tend to. .. Hurt little kids. :/ I really..

Eventually my mother listened to me about my stepfather and put me in an after-school program. [Boys&Girls' Club]. I didn't really like it there, because all the kids in that town were being fucked up somehow [It was an extremely awful neighborhood] and so of course they were all little shits. I was chubby so they made fun of me, but I had so much bigger shit to deal with that I never cried over them. I was too busy trying to keep my brother and I alive.

Unfortunately my mother's decision to put me in an after-school club spared me. Remaining in my babysitter's care, my brother did not. I warned her many times but only when the forensics came back did she believe me. When I came home for the funeral she pushed me away and told me 'not now.'

My grandmother, somehow sensing with her ultra-mother-senses stepped in and took me for a few days. I remember laying on her couch and her running out to me. I'd been screaming, I guess. I was really out of it.
[size=2]I'd just had to say goodbye to my baby brother because some dipshit white girl who didn't know how to be a parent ignored her daughter and let some awful thing happen. [/h]

So after a while I went back to school and the counselor was I guess, told to speak with me [I can't imagine why] and I ended up [after a lot of coaxing] opening up about my stepdad's abuse. She called CPS and my mother was ordered to take me and move out. So we moved out.

We ended up at a shitty little town outside seattle. I hated it there, my mother lost her shit. She stopped buying my medicine and my grandmother once more stepped in and took care of me for a while.

-I lost a lot of weight.
-I got physical therapy. In hindsight this was actually a stupid idea, my left ankle is nonexistent.
-But i for some reason missed my mother. I hated how she treated me but I'd just lost my brother so I felt like the world was trying to take everything from me all at once.

I moved back in with her. Things didn't get better. She met a guy named Carl. Then they did a little bit.

She got on some meds.

She got on some more.

She got on even more.

My adolescence was spent trying to cope with loss and scars and abandonment and trust issues while my mother popped pills and hoarded food down in her den of denial.

She got me on Vicodin. I became dependent, started abusing it for escapist reasons. I had to enroll in online school because my campus was too large for me to walk. I was in too much pain.

I had one good year, though. Freshman year was nice.. at school, and online anyways.

Things progressively deteriorated until I was rescued by someone. I ended up here, at 18. I starte putting myself back together.

My relationship with my grandmother had been strained after my mom moved out. My mum would try to tell me that my grandmother was ashamed of us, because she smoked and didn't go to church and 'was a failure'. I believed her.

I recently came back into contact with my Grandmother. We had a lot of heartfelt talks. Lots of tears were shed. Lots of hiccuping 'I love you's' and 'I am so sorry's'. I realized that the whole time, she was hoping I or my mum or both of us would reach out when we needed her. We never did.

I love that woman to bits. She is republican and conservative as fuck but damn it, if she would not die for any one of her children/descendants.

I'm in a really weird, new place in my life but even if my mum never gets help, I still have one hell of a woman who has my back. I also have the love of my life. He has a very close family, his grandparents are actually still together. Which, completely blows my mind. His parents are a little nuts but in a different way.

I may not have a lot, but what I've got counts for quite a great deal to me. A year and a half ago, I hated my life and felt I had nothing. I know now that's the farthest from the truth.

TLDR:

It's long, it's complicated. I have a crazy self-absorbed mom, no dad, a dead sibling and one somewhere out there over the rainbow, but a really amazing Grandmother, an incredible boyfriend, and a new family with people who actually care about and do things for each other.

I read and I imagined the pain, guess that made me realize that the path of realization comes in many shapes and sizes.

I am also relieved you found someone who got your back no matter what, so it was a kind of a happy ending for you?
Lollikittie wrote...

I don't advise it. ._.

Spoiler:

-I lost a lot of weight.

She got on some meds.

She got on some more.

She got on even more.

TLDR:

Reading this i realized that my life is not as hard as i thought because at least my parents are still together and my family(at least now) is okay i guess.
Lollikittie I'm happy for you! I wish you luck with your boyfriend and everything else because you deserve it! :)

About me:
I guess that i care about my family. I don't know about loving them but still if the need would ever arise I'd give my life for them. I think that i haven't realized my love for my family because I've never been away from home for more than a 2-3 days. Still I don't usually cry or feel sad at funerals -> didn't cry/feel sad at my grandmother's but maybe it was because she had a peaceful death in her sleep; it probably has to do with the fact that i think that everyone will get only what they deserve so even after death if a person deserves it he/she is going to be in a better place and vice versa(I don't mean Heaven/Hell just somewhere better/worse).
devsonfire 3,000,000th Poster
Family always comes first for me.
Never had any problem, create trouble for my family once or twice, kids makes mistake, hell, even I still make mistakes now.

I don't hate my dad and mom for scolding me, giving a bit of beating is necessary so I don't do stupid things anymore.
We all pretty much get along with each other, no big stuff happened between us.
A peaceful family you can say, even though we have our own problems.

I wanna keep it that way, and I still love my mom and dad as much as I used to back when I was a kid.
I will not know how to live without my family.If one of my family dies ill die along with them.
Without my family I would lose the will to live my life.

They really mean everything to me and they are the reason why I am shining so brightly now.
I am an only child of my family, they always treat me like I'm powerless, they often fought each other for worthless goddamn reason..

they throw things to each other while I'm lying down on my bed, until now they still fighting over fucking reason, and thus my dad cheated with another girl..

but my mom doesn't give a fuck of what I said either, and they two keep going without solving the problem or get divorced, it's hanging my fury to it's extent..

so I don't know if they're really give a fuck about me
Realisation came with a letter entitled "Letter of a grandmother to her grandson".

Inside she wished me good luck for my studies, she gave me advice, she told me off a bit about my video game addiction tendencies. She told me to go out there and see life with my own experiences.

It was all written in a calm, soft tone, one of those that know they have lived a full life and are so proud to see the young grow like they once did.
And it ended with a simple "Do not forget where you came from. We love you so much."

I couldn't stop crying.

Mak'em proud people. Mak'em proud.

Never forget how much you love them.
Gubi wrote...
Realisation came with a letter entitled "Letter of a grandmother to her grandson".

Inside she wished me good luck for my studies, she gave me advice, she told me off a bit about my video game addiction tendencies. She told me to go out there and see life with my own experiences.

It was all written in a calm, soft tone, one of those that know they have lived a full life and are so proud to see the young grow like they once did.
And it ended with a simple "Do not forget where you came from. We love you so much."

I couldn't stop crying.

Mak'em proud people. Mak'em proud.

Never forget how much you love them.

Life is meant to be fulfilled, yes
My GF said that too..

maybe all we have to do is a simple acceptance.
It was hard to forgive, but now I'm started talking to my parents and open up.

The worst moment you'll ever had is, if you lost them..
I'll never forgive myself
Sekketsubyo wrote...

But we all will eventually. That is what life is. That is its circle. That is why it is hard.

But also worth living.
Gubi wrote...
Sekketsubyo wrote...

But we all will eventually. That is what life is. That is its circle. That is why it is hard.

But also worth living.

Life and death is natural, we all have a hard time accepting that, so it is indeed worth living for when you all accept and love each other.
They Say, you will appreciate it more when it is lost.
true enough, it's heartbreaking, but we would have to bear it.

Not everyone around us will keep us company forever.
there will always come a time, that they will go.

that's why i make every moment count.
Ironically enough, yesterday.

Graduating college in a few weeks, and had one of those "look how far I've come" moments. My family really shaped my passion for arts and travel, which fed into my passion for studying international art history... and now I'm getting a degree for it all.

I have them to thank for inspiring, supporting, financing, and embracing me all the way. Corny, but it feels nice to really see their work and help for me come full circle.
Damoz ~Not A User~
I don't "love" anything, strictly speaking. I do care for my family, but i certainly do not love them~
Legendary_Dollci wrote...
When I was young I never really knew what love to my family meant. I mean I got my ass whupped from my Dad and my Mom sometimes really pisses me off and my 2 bros and older sis, well lets say we aren't the perfect family.

But then at the highest point of our lives we gave everything up we worked hard for and ended up in the pits, from owning a good small-time company in Colorado to living in small rooms in Germany. They all flew back and had no choice but to leave me behind, and I lived alone for the past 3 years frustrating over my life.

But I had ALOT of time in my hands and thought about my life thoroughly and carefully. In the time later I came to understanding my Father and his ways with me, and why my Mom always scolds me with something in her hands, and why my siblings were what they were, and so, I started understanding them and eventually, it came to the point where we all understood each other, and ended up appreciating each other. I now realize that self pity was a horrible habit and I changed my ways and wanted to be a leader, so I always talk to them, helped them out with advices, and eventually learned to truly love them, with all my heart, and since then, my love for them grows bigger with each passing day.

If you ever do love your family, then when and How did you come to realize just how special they are to you?

If you'd like, you may share your stories with me since discussing about love and family matters will help us all out.

Is your love the love you have been looking for in your family?

sounds u have a good family. and think your sweet too. i came from a broken family. but what matters to me now is that what will my future family be.
Pages 12Next